Ronabo

Oct 26, 2017
OHIO
Hey guys. I'm looking for portable amp recommendations. I have the FiiO E6 and it's not doing the job anymore. Plus it doesn't hold much of a charge.

I use Sennheiser HD 598 and Mass Drop Dynamic Motion DXE50 IEMs

Just bought the Massdrop Astrotec AM-800 IEMs

wilflare

Oct 25, 2017
any thoughts on the KEF M100 earphones?

and would you guys recommend any earpads for the Philips Fidelio X1? mine's falling apart :/

OP
OP
HiResDes

HiResDes

Oct 25, 2017
any thoughts on the KEF M100 earphones?

and would you guys recommend any earpads for the Philips Fidelio X1? mine's falling apart :/
I didn't think you could replace them, haven't tried on mine though. And the KEF are supposed to be really solid slightly warm but balanced overall iirc. Not sure they're as good of a value now though.

OP
OP
HiResDes

HiResDes

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys. I'm looking for portable amp recommendations. I have the FiiO E6 and it's not doing the job anymore. Plus it doesn't hold much of a charge.

I use Sennheiser HD 598 and Mass Drop Dynamic Motion DXE50 IEMs

Just bought the Massdrop Astrotec AM-800 IEMs
Topping nx2 if you want something cheap.

Last edited:

Chumley

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Are there any meaningful upgrades on the Sony WH1000XM2 vs the MDR1000x? I heard battery life is improved by 10 hours but not much else.

wilflare

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't think you could replace them, haven't tried on mine though. And the KEF are supposed to be really solid slightly warm but balanced overall iirc. Not sure they're as good of a value now though.

thanks! I'm given a choice of the KEF M100 as a gesture to go with my KEF LS50 Wireless (had some issue with them) - but just wondering whether they are worth keeping

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Are there any meaningful upgrades on the Sony WH1000XM2 vs the MDR1000x? I heard battery life is improved by 10 hours but not much else.

They claim they are sturdier. I love Sony Bluetooth headphones (currently using MDR1000X that were sent to me as a warranty replacement) but I've never had a pair last more than 15 months without cracking. Granted I use them for hours upon hours each and every day.

The noise cancellation in these two headphones are so far beyond anything else it's scary. I cannot hear anything when it is on full (the voice option does work quite well if you want people to speak to you) to the point where it's dangerous to use it out in public. It works well enough that I even used them mowing the lawn and could perfectly hear every word of my audiobook.

Sony also always UNDERESTIMATES their battery life. I've gone well beyond 18 hours in their budget line of bluetooths, maybe closer to 30. I think I've done almost 40 on the MDR1000x's.

OP
OP
HiResDes

HiResDes

Oct 25, 2017
You basically own T50 mods don't buy more... And at this point I'd wait on the 660 if you wanna go that route. I don't think you're gonna net huge upgrades either way.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Due to a pricing error, I got a pair V-Moda Crossfade Wireless headphones for 22 dollars at Musicians Friend this past week. So far I love them. They're definitely not reference headphones. I believe they'd be classified as "fun" headphones. Strong bass, but still clear mids and highs. The wireless side of them though is pretty damn weak. Low top volume and the awesome audio I get wired sounds kinda muted via bluetooth.

OP
OP
HiResDes

HiResDes

Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately that seems to be the case for like half of the wireless headphones I've tried.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I ended up buying the Xiaomi Hybrid Pro HD (triple driver). I guess I'm just not about that expensive IEM life.

Just popped them in, and they sound really great. Had to throw on some Comply tips though.

Chumley

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They claim they are sturdier. I love Sony Bluetooth headphones (currently using MDR1000X that were sent to me as a warranty replacement) but I've never had a pair last more than 15 months without cracking. Granted I use them for hours upon hours each and every day.

The noise cancellation in these two headphones are so far beyond anything else it's scary. I cannot hear anything when it is on full (the voice option does work quite well if you want people to speak to you) to the point where it's dangerous to use it out in public. It works well enough that I even used them mowing the lawn and could perfectly hear every word of my audiobook.

Sony also always UNDERESTIMATES their battery life. I've gone well beyond 18 hours in their budget line of bluetooths, maybe closer to 30. I think I've done almost 40 on the MDR1000x's.

Yeah I own an mdr 1000x and they're the best I've ever owned. I'm curious about those new wireless earbuds they put out, the WF1000X. Ordered some to see if I like them for movie watching. For some reason I've never liked wearing big over ear headphones for movies.

wilflare

Oct 25, 2017
the MDR1000X are the perfect companion to PSVR as well (with its noise cancellation, adds to the immersion)

Butane

Nov 2, 2017
Anyone mind giving some advice to someone who is just starting to look into higher quality headphones?

I've been looking around for a good pair of headphones mainly to use as a gaming headset and for music/TV. I'm also curious to try a pair that is open. I've heard a lot of good things about the Philips SHP9500's pared with the v moda boom pro. I don't want to spend a ton of money (I can get both on Amazon for under $100), but I just have this worry about whether or not I should pull the trigger or that there might be something better I don't know about.

Also while I am most likely going to buy a cheapish dac/amp around Christmas (As I realized I currently don't have an audio out on my TV or AVR), I am curious if the PS4 controller has enough power to drive the Philips just as an ease of use thing.

Last edited:

ody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone mind giving some advice to someone who is just starting to look into higher quality headphones?

I've been looking around for a good pair of headphones mainly to use as a gaming headset and for music/TV. I'm also curious to try a pair that is open. I've heard a lot of good things about the Philips SHP9500's pared with the v moda boom pro. I don't want to spend a ton of money (I can get both on Amazon for under $100), but I just have this worry about whether or not I should pull the trigger or that there might be something better I don't know about.

Also while I am most likely going to buy a cheapish dac/amp around Christmas (As I realized I currently don't have an audio out on my TV or AVR), I am curious if the PS4 controller has enough power to drive the Philips just as an ease of use thing.

The Philips and Vmoda BoomPro is a really good combo. Can't really go wrong with them. Which do you prefer, open or closed headphones?

And the DS4 can power them fine.

Butane

Nov 2, 2017
I don't have a preference since I have only ever had closed before this. Figure I would try some open ones since I'm going to use them only at home.

Deleted member 9650

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

abrasivemurk

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I use Sennheiser HD 558 through the headphone jack on Dualshock 4 and volume is low. Will FiiO A3 or another amp fix the sound?

ody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't have a preference since I have only ever had closed before this. Figure I would try some open ones since I'm going to use them only at home.

Yeah, cant go wrong with that combo

I use Sennheiser HD 558 through the headphone jack on Dualshock 4 and volume is low. Will FiiO A3 or another amp fix the sound?

If you can find one near you
https://www.gamestop.com/ps4/accessories/adjustr/124762

This may also work but I don't have experience with it
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insign...r-playstation-4-black/8703029.p?skuId=8703029

But yeah portable amp should work

Manipular

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Detroit, MI
Just popping in to say how much I love the SteelSeries Arctis 3. Originally bought a pair for a job I had at the time, but nowadays I use them for gaming (Xbox One) and listening to music/watching stuff on my laptop. Had my pair for 6 months now and no issues with it yet.

23qwerty

Oct 27, 2017
Best place I can think of to ask, I'm looking for a dirt cheap mixer to just take two audio sources from two computers and combine it into one set of computer speakers, any ideas?

MochiBoy

Oct 25, 2017
Got the superlux HD668B a while back, they're really nice and the quality is good for the price of them.

ozfunghi

Oct 25, 2017
Good to see both my AKG Q701 and Xiaomi Pistons are represented. My Nuforce Icon HDP isn't. My AKG Q701 also "work" on my phone or my laptop, but the sound is not even remotely the same as when i hook them up to my Icon. So, people that are wondering if a headphone amp really makes a difference... depending on the headphones, it can be night and day.

Aren't the Senns HD600 usually refered to as being more natural sounding than the 650? I remember many pro musicians picking it over the 650 for that reason. They are also cheaper.

Best place I can think of to ask, I'm looking for a dirt cheap mixer to just take two audio sources from two computers and combine it into one set of computer speakers, any ideas?
Behringer MICROMIX MX 400 line mixer? These are all mono channels though (but you get 4xmono) but they are dirt cheap and not complete junk.

Last edited:

ozfunghi

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, could go a bit more expensive if it meant not being mono, 3.5mm would be nice, but I guess I could get adapters as well
Or buy two of them and get a stereo splitter/merger :p

Well, i found this but i don't know if it's any good. User feedback isn't bad though. But i don't know what your budget is, and this is probably not really on topic here. I also don't know what you want to use it for. Maybe you'll find more knowledgable responses in the producers/artists topic.

Chittagong

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
Oppo PM-3s have been my travel headset (I travel a lot) since I got them in July 2015. After just over 2 years on the road, they are looking quite bleak. They started to fall apart just a few months ago:

4a54a4ad-eed4-477c-agek3u.jpeg

I have contacted Oppo to see if they would be able to service the pads and band, since there is nothing fundamentally wrong otherwise.

I have come around to accept the fact that there isn't really a better travel headset I know of, so would be nice to get them fixed, because otherwise I'll just end up paying another pair. Unless I have missed some compact new headsets with superior performance?

Oppo is fantastic, they have offered to restore my PM-3s to their former glory in two weeks, for a pretty symbolic total cost of £54.

splash wave

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA
EMU Walnut, the pads still get a little hot though. I'd also recommend the RBH in the OP even more so but same problem.

These are both bassy options.

Considered both (and a few others), but then realized I had almost $300 worth of Amazon credit and decided to splurge on a pair of Sony WH1000XM2s. Holy shit these things are bananas. They sound great, for one, and I love the gesture control. This pair feels incredibly futuristic in ways that so few pieces of tech do anymore, at least for me.

winkyface

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Talking about V-Moda Crossfades, I need to replace my M-100 due to the hinge being cracked.

I like these headphones a lot, especially cause I listen to a lot of bassy electronic music with those.

This is my 3rd pair of V-Modas, after having a Crossfade LP (that I'm using at work) and the earbuds they released before that (I don't rememeber the name).
But I'm wondering if anyone that was familiar with these could make a recommendation on headphones that would sound better for someone that likes the sound of M-100s.

(Oh, I'm probably also replacing the LPs I use at work with the Wireless 2 :)

pulga

Banned for alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hey guys, can anyone recommend some good bluetooth headphones for about $100 (keeping in line with the Secret Santa budget.) Thanks!

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Oppo is fantastic, they have offered to restore my PM-3s to their former glory in two weeks, for a pretty symbolic total cost of £54.
Hahaha my white ones look almost exactly like that, except the headband also lost a fight with a wolverine. I too am in the process of sending them in for complete restoration.

OPPO charged me $99 USD, which I don't see as bad for headphones I've been using for 2 years.

Talking about V-Moda Crossfades, I need to replace my M-100 due to the hinge being cracked.

I like these headphones a lot, especially cause I listen to a lot of bassy electronic music with those.

This is my 3rd pair of V-Modas, after having a Crossfade LP (that I'm using at work) and the earbuds they released before that (I don't rememeber the name).
But I'm wondering if anyone that was familiar with these could make a recommendation on headphones that would sound better for someone that likes the sound of M-100s.

Depends on the budget. The E-MU Teak takes a HUGE dump on the M-100. The Teak is basically end game for bassheads. Unlike the 100, the Teak has amazing bass, along with a spacious soundstage, great mids, and brilliant highs.

Hey guys, can anyone recommend some good bluetooth headphones for about $100 (keeping in line with the Secret Santa budget.) Thanks!

Marshall Major II.

OP
OP
HiResDes

HiResDes

Oct 25, 2017

So you're gonna want somewhat bassy headphones with a pretty intimate aggressive sound. I'd suggest the Audio Technica ATH-MSR7, Blue Lola, or RBH HP-2 if you want to save a little money.

splash wave

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA
My Sony WH1000XM2 honeymoon period may be coming to an end, and it may be the fault of my big head. I'm not sure if it's the NC or the tightness of the headphones themselves, but my ears (the outsides, not the eardrum) just feel super fatigued after using them for awhile. I wonder if it's something I'll get used to...

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Goddamn target has the Beats wireless studio 2.0 for 160$. I know people hate on Beats sometimes but I think the 2.0 was pretty damn good and very different from the 1.0. At 160$ that's a steal

HotHamWater

Oct 25, 2017
Dorset, UK
I'm trying to choose between either the Superlux HD668B (the cheapest option), the Audio-Technica ATH-M40x (the middle option) and the Sennheiser HD 558's (still pretty cheap by your guys' standards). As you can tell I'm on a budget, and they're all pretty low end so I'm wondering if I'll even notice too much of a difference between the sets. They'll mostly be used for listening to music (working on a PC) and playing games on a PC, I don't give a hoot about portability. Is there any one that stands out or some glaring flaws I'm missing?

OP
OP
HiResDes

HiResDes

Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to choose between either the Superlux HD668B (the cheapest option), the Audio-Technica ATH-M40x (the middle option) and the Sennheiser HD 558's (still pretty cheap by your guys' standards). As you can tell I'm on a budget, and they're all pretty low end so I'm wondering if I'll even notice too much of a difference between the sets. They'll mostly be used for listening to music (working on a PC) and playing games on a PC, I don't give a hoot about portability. Is there any one that stands out or some glaring flaws I'm missing?
I'd personally rather have Creative Aurvana Live over all those.