Oct 30, 2017
The PS4 was better regular Blu-ray player than the One too because of the non-standard gamma curve it had for a long time and it's handling of color data even with the release of the One X later on, I guess I shouldn't surprised about this.

I ended up getting a standalone UHD player than the One S back in 2017 because of the quality wasn't as good as a standalone.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Bummer, was planning on using my XSX (whenever I can get one) for UHD's. I really hope MS can fix a lot of this shit with firmware updates, if not standalone player it is.

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
Honestly UHD physical is a pretty niche market. Stand alone player sales have declined the past few years, and some companies don't even bother putting out any of their movies in the format.

Ironically, if Sony had put a capable drive in PS4 and put 100M of them in homes, the format may have survived. But all manufacturers combined only sold like 500k stand alone in the US last year, and NA is by far the biggest market for UHD.

Costs too much proportional to streaming or HDBlu-Ray for how most people consume media, where they largely don't see the difference anyway. It's really not worth either Sony or MS investing too much in a player, though maybe Sony more so due to their, I assume, still getting a share of the royalties on the format. I know they were one of the 10 or so companies getting them initially.

Dec 15, 2017
I think the death of UHD (and Blu-ray) is a little overblown and premature. It will come, but while sales have dropped, there is still a hefty profit to be made and there are still regular releases, a lot of them, every week. In the context of Blu-ray they're still catching up to movies only released on DVD.

They will obviously be the last formats for physical distribution, but I think we're looking at at least another 10 or so years of them hanging around.

The players is where I would be more concerned. Blu-ray is popular enough not to worry anytime soon, but 4k is a much more niche product and there just isn't a lot of profit to motivate manufacturers anymore.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
I know the PS5 currently has an issue where it pushes "HDR" on content that doesn't support it, like PS4 games. Does that also apply to Blu-ray content? I've still been using my PS3 for Blu-ray and my PS5 for UHD, but would love to be able to move that to another room.
Regular Blu-rays will play in SDR even if your console is set to output HDR.

Nov 8, 2017
They should improve this. I get that it's probably low priority but if you're going to have the capability, don't half-ass it.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony strength as an electronic company coming through, hope MS fix alot of those issues. Dolby Vision is a huge plus though, easily a feature that would decide where I'd want to watch my 4k dvds.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really disappointed with the Series X as a Blu Ray player. The One X was at least usable; the disc drive was audible but not to a distracting level. The Series X's disc drive is even louder still, though, to the point where I just don't want to use it. I've always used game consoles as disc players and this is the first time I've ever seriously thought about buying a standalone player.

Dec 15, 2017
Yeah, I didn't realize this before I bought a DV-compatible player, VERY FEW 4K discs actually have DV on them. It's much more common with streaming services than with physical media.
This deserves acknowledgement.

I know everyone feels like they're missing out on DV, but it's more of a missing rarely used feature tbh. Total guesstimate, but I'd wager only about 20-30 at most of my ~150 4k UHD's have DV, so you're rarely missing out in reality. That said, The Hobbit looks damn incredible in DV, so when it is there it can be spectacular, it's just not very common.

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
If it adds to the discussion, my Series X makes a loud grinding noise exclusively when trying to playback UHD disks.

I wouldn't describe mine as grinding, but the drive is much louder than the PS5's during UHD playback. Sucks as I'd rather use the XSX for movie discs since it works with my Harmony remote since it has an IR sensor. Not really a big deal as we rarely watch movies we own (I quit buying them other than Star Wars years ago for that reason) or rent discs anymore anyway.

Deleted member 35478

User-requested account closure
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Yeah, I didn't realize this before I bought a DV-compatible player, VERY FEW 4K discs actually have DV on them. It's much more common with streaming services than with physical media.

Its really frustrating. On top of that some HDR10 presentations are better than others. Have to read reviews for every release and see if it's worth picking up the physical copy or just going digital. Like blade runner 2049 the HDR10 presentation is really good and not far behind the DV, so it's worth getting the disc.

KlytusImBored

Oct 30, 2017
New Jersey
If you have the space in your set up I highly recommend you just get a relatively inexpensive x700 player from Sony. The DV switching is a minor pain but the playback quality is night and day compared to PS5 or Series X on my OLED. Less wear and tear on the disc drives as well.

I used my consoles as players for YEARS for DVD and Blu Ray, but the 4K format improvements on a mid-range player are very obvious to me over the consoles.

Dec 15, 2017
I wouldn't describe mine as grinding, but the drive is much louder than the PS5's during UHD playback. Sucks as I'd rather use the XSX for movie discs since it works with my Harmony remote since it has an IR sensor. Not really a big deal as we rarely watch movies we own (I quit buying them other than Star Wars years ago for that reason) or rent discs anymore anyway.
The Logitech IR receiver for the PS4 works for PS5 as well. I bought one and use my Harmony One with the PS5.

Dec 15, 2017
Its really frustrating. On top of that some HDR10 presentations are better than others. Have to read reviews for every release and see if it's worth picking up the physical copy or just going digital. Like blade runner 2049 the HDR10 presentation is really good and not far behind the DV, so it's worth getting the disc.
Having to read reviews to see if it's worth it isn't all that different from Blu-rays though. There were a ton of Blu-ray's released that are crap quality, while some can rival 4k discs.

MrBenchmark

Dec 8, 2017
If you have the space in your set up I highly recommend you just get a relatively inexpensive x700 player from Sony. The DV switching is a minor pain but the playback quality is night and day compared to PS5 or Series X on my OLED. Less wear and tear on the disc drives as well.

I used my consoles as players for YEARS for DVD and Blu Ray, but the 4K format improvements on a mid-range player are very obvious to me over the consoles.
If your going $199 range the LG UBK90 is the better player no switching for DV and has Dual HDMI if your receiver can't pass DV.
If your buying 4K discs buy a actual player otherwise go digital IMO.
Especially if you've dropped the coin on an OLED display.

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
The Logitech IR receiver for the PS4 works for PS5 as well. I bought one and use my Harmony One with the PS5.

Thanks. Good to know. Will probably pass as I don't watch movie discs enough to need it anymore (and use either my Apple TV 4K or XSX for streaming apps and both work with my Harmony remote).

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
Sorry. Double posted as the site keeps crashing and reloading on my iPad.

Dec 15, 2017
Thanks. Good to know. Will probably pass as I don't at home movie discs enough to need it anymore (and use either my Apple TV 4K or XSX for streaming apps and both work with my Harmony remote).
For sure, just wanted to pass that along. Took me a bit of forum digging and googling to find out it worked. The media remote is meant for streaming so I quickly pivoted away from that.

Spasm

Nov 16, 2017
Fix your shit, Xbox. I would rather use the XSX simply cause it has an IR remote, and PS5's Bluetooth remote doesn't work with Harmony yet.

Edit: Adding that Plex playback is very stuttery on XSX as well. So even though I'd like to use my Xbox for video playback, I'm using my TV's Roku apps, just cause it's so much more stable.

KlytusImBored

Oct 30, 2017
New Jersey
If your going $199 range the LG UBK90 is the better player no switching for DV and has Dual HDMI if your receiver can't pass DV.
If your buying 4K discs buy a actual player otherwise go digital IMO.
Especially if you've dropped the coin on an OLED display.
I got the Sony on a sale for like $150, but I'll probably want to upgrade at some point. I was gonna go ham on an Oppo but reason got the best of me, and then they dropped out of the 4K player game altogether. I just wanted an improvement over playing on a console and I definitely got one even at $150.

100% agree if you are gonna buy UHD blu rays it makes total sense to get a dedicated player. It's such a great format. I wish more people were buying them! Just looking at the sales numbers and market share, I'm scooping up as many as I can while I can.

Lydecker

Aug 13, 2020
Both don't have the option to change the brightness of the subtitles? Love that feature of my Panaonic ub424 because otherwise they burn my eyeballs in HDR.

MrBenchmark

Dec 8, 2017
I got the Sony on a sale for like $150, but I'll probably want to upgrade at some point. I was gonna go ham on an Oppo but reason got the best of me, and then they dropped out of the 4K player game altogether. I just wanted an improvement over playing on a console and I definitely got one even at $150.

100% agree if you are gonna buy UHD blu rays it makes total sense to get a dedicated player. It's such a great format. I wish more people were buying them! Just looking at the sales numbers and market share, I'm scooping up as many as I can while I can.
Same paid $150 for my LG certain stuff has jacked up in price during Covid.

k4mon

Oct 28, 2017
Wrocław / Poland
Does anyone else also experience random stutters when watching movies from UHD discs on the PS5? Like it happens once every two discs but I actually need to pause the movie and restart it (and it doesn't always help).

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
How strange. Its hdmi cec enabled on the TV side also ( it could have a different name different manufacturers call it different things for some stupid reason)
Yeah, I have them both enabled, my TV inputs will switch automatically when I turn on the PS5. Guess it's just the Roku remote.