ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, the NOA employees used their branding in a pride parade and didn't get fired. That's something I guess.
I think NCL has simply learned to stifle themselves after the whole Tomodachi Life debacle. There has some progress over at IntiSys with gay and lesbian characters. But on the whole I'd be scared to find out what my favorite Nintendo employees' views are on LGBT rights :/

As much as things need to get better in the US, we can at least be glad it's not as bad as in Japan.

StoveOven

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Love Hbomb. I haven't been able to watch much of the stream, but I'm so fucking happy for the dude and also obviously for all the people who will be helped by the money being raised. This is an incredible thing.

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales

Not sure if this was posted but Egorapter plugged the stream too, which is incredibly awesome of him after her just did an entire day of streaming himself so posting shit on Twitter is probably extremely low on his list of priorities

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Man, why am I just figuring this out now when I'm about to go to sleep and at work tomorrow.

If he's going for 11 days though. I guess I'll have a lot of time to watch.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I think NCL has simply learned to stifle themselves after the whole Tomodachi Life debacle. There has some progress over at IntiSys with gay and lesbian characters. But on the whole I'd be scared to find out what my favorite Nintendo employees' views are on LGBT rights :/

As much as things need to get better in the US, we can at least be glad it's not as bad as in Japan.
Yeah I can't imagine guys like Miyamoto are very progressive on something like sexual or gender issues, given their age and the cultural approach to those issues.

Like Ivankov in One Piece being held up as a "positive" example of a trans character in their media, even though he's a Franknfurter-esque blatant stereotype, simply because he exists.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017

Not sure if this was posted but Egorapter plugged the stream too, which is incredibly awesome of him after her just did an entire day of streaming himself so posting shit on Twitter is probably extremely low on his list of priorities

Yoooooo! That's awesome!

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
yo they got the og video game champion on. that's sick

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I'd missed the Aaron Sorkin thing earlier, but looking that up now... Uncanny. One of the most harmful characters to ever talk about politics in the US, and he still refuses to see how wrong he is about everything. What a complete dumbass.

No time to get mad about that, though, because this stream is pure bliss.
The thing that sucks about Sorkin isn't that he's really wrong on paper, but his body of work has contributed so hard to the mainstream liberal "they go low, we go high" kind of attitude that prevents us from hitting back in a meaningful way at times. Politics has to get rough sometimes because we're dealing with such shady characters.

People would run serious thinkpieces asking why Obama couldn't be more like Jed Bartlet and it's like because he's a fictional fucking character, asshole. And more to the point many of the Republicans in Sorkin's universe were sane and principled actors, something Obama never had the pleasure of. Anytime any elected Republican tried to build a working relationship with him (see: Charlie Crist, Chris Christie) they were eviscerated by the base.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
unknown.png

https://www.cnet.com/news/alexandri...ch-talking-about-her-love-of-the-nintendo-64/
Hadn't seen that Sorkin quote yet. It's hardly a new development but I'm always disheartened by how out of touch he is, in pretty much every imaginable way.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
Glad I'm listening/watching this. Learning quite a bit from the discussion.

Interesting. I was thinking more of the old japanese people that run the company rather than NOA though.

Well, "old Japanese people" is pretty much Miyamoto and an HR director at this point. Everyone else is in their mid-50s or younger now on the Board (at least the internal Nintendo people).

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017

Eh, that scene is 15 years old now, so I stand by my comment, lol.
Yeah I can't imagine guys like Miyamoto are very progressive on something like sexual or gender issues, given their age and the cultural approach to those issues.

Like Ivankov in One Piece being held up as a "positive" example of a trans character in their media, even though he's a Franknfurter-esque blatant stereotype, simply because he exists.
People also praised Niles and Rhajat from Fire Emblem Fates simply for existing too, even though they were made to be walking embodiments of the "perverted, deviant homosexual" stereotype. However, I think Leon from Shadows of Valentia is probably the first genuinely positive LGBT character Nintendo has ever produced. He has feelings for Valbar, and it is treated narratively like every other romance in the game - as a normal feeling from a normal guy. Much as I didn't really like that game that was super cool to see.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Scott Aukerman (Comedy Bang Bang) sort of retweeted it via Gail Simone.

Weird seeing like 80 percent of my follows end up talking about this in some way. Really spreading like wildfire.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
The feelings of living in the worst timeline but then something like this happens. It's like, if we borrow Robin Hobb's Elderlings saga's lore, hbomberguy is a catalyst who has just pushed the world on a better path in a relatively big way, which is refreshing to see in a world where so many selfish factions are pushing the world on a worse path just for personal gains.

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Has he really been going on for 54 hours and half non stop? He pauses to eat and for bathroom reasons right? Even so no sleep? How much longer can he still go before people are concerned about his health?

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Has he really been going on for 54 hours and half non stop? He pauses to eat and for bathroom reasons right? Even so no sleep? How much longer can he still go before people are concerned about his health?
He's only played for about 34 or 35 hours, so he's gotten a lot of sleep compared to many other marathon things and remarkably donations continued at a pretty good pace even when it's just a couple people talking over a picture of a skeleton.

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
He's only played for about 34 or 35 hours, so he's gotten a lot of sleep compared to many other marathon things and remarkably donations continued at a pretty good pace even when it's just a couple people talking over a picture of a skeleton.
He's taken sleep breaks, but I think for this last stretch he'll stay up.
Yeah, it would have been insane if he was really up for that long with no rest and still with a chunk of the game to go.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
I used to do marathons like this (we would raise super-impressive sums of $300 or $400 for charity each year, for massive crowds of 10 or 12 people). My record was 42 hours with no sleep, during which time we streamed all of Mother 3 and EarthBound (I even grinded for the Sword of Kings). The human body can take a lot of abuse, lol.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant

Japan is retrograde on LGBT in particular, though in a different way than other societies. It's not demonized but it's not something that's to be expressed in public either. In very modern media that's starting to change, but yeah, wouldn't expect 50+ year olds to be down with any of that.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hadn't seen that Sorkin quote yet. It's hardly a new development but I'm always disheartened by how out of touch he is, in pretty much every imaginable way.
I mean watching Newsroom is such a surreal, painful, almost entertaining purely on a level of seeing how unhinged this man is look into his broken ass psyche. A bunch of old ass out of touch boths sides screeching white dudes... reciting the news.

That's what he thinks is important.