• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you believe in a loving, just God?

• Yes

Votes: 151 12.4%
  • No

Votes: 1,068 87.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

hombremalo

Oct 26, 2017
I belive in good and evil but don't think they're is an entity watching us. At least not as pictured by some religions.

Jul 15, 2019
Terrible things don't make me believe in a just and loving god, but they make me want to believe in one who's prepared an afterlife that fixes all the injustices in the world. Countless people suffered through their lives and passed away without any recompense. No amount of money, beautiful words, or kind actions can ever fix what the dead (and many of the living) have gone through. So, yeah, I do think it'd be great if there were a sort of paradise after death. A place beyond our comprehension that, somehow, really does make things worth it for even those who have suffered greatly. Wanting to believe and actually believing are separate things though. That said, not wanting to believe seems like an unbearable worldview to me.

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
OP what responses did you really expect to get here? This place heavily leans agnostic or atheist.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
What kind of god gives man opposable thumbs and a dick and then punishes him for jerking off?

Seriously though, if I choose to believe in something I'd rather have like a pantheon to work with. At least then even if the gods are dicks you can worship whoever fits your individual needs and values the most. Monotheism is such a stifling concept.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Meh, humanity has been through/done/continues to do worse than in general what 2020 brought to the table. Rampant stupidity, not being advisable to go out, and background trash fires rising to the surface to the global eye doesn't bat an eye to half the crap in our history. Not enough to question faith anyway.

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
OP what responses did you really expect to get here? This place heavily leans agnostic or atheist.

You would hope that atheist reasoning wouldn't be so strawman or hostile, especially when someone just wants to discuss and not necessarily convert. A lot of people here also don't fully grasp polyamory but they don't mock the concept.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You would hope that atheist reasoning wouldn't be so strawman or hostile, especially when someone just wants to discuss and not necessarily convert. A lot of people here also don't fully grasp polyamory but they don't mock the concept.
Why should people mock a concept that doesn't harm anyone and never will and can't have any power over anyone?
Church on the other hand? Oh boi

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
I believe in people's right to believe in what brings them comfort and hope. Just as long as they give the same courtesy to others.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
People have lived through worse times than this and still had the blinkers on. If anything it makes them double down.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

Polyamory isn't affecting politics around the world.

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
what a self centered view of things. A little over a million people died to covid 19, according to the UN 820 million people suffered from famine last year. 85000 children alone died in Yemen since 2016.

If human suffering was a disqualifier for belief then apparently only when you personally are affected ever so slightly.

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
Why should people mock a concept that doesn't harm anyone and never will and can't have any power over anyone?
Church on the other hand? Oh boi

I wasn't insinuating that we should mock anything we don't understand. I'm saying that if there's someone who wants to sincerely discuss stuff like this, then let them discuss.

Deleted member 5491

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't insinuating that we should mock anything we don't understand. I'm saying that if there's someone who wants to sincerely discuss stuff like this, then let them discuss.
There have been discussions about religion and spirituality from expert for a very very long time and people have made up their mind.
And yes, it is okay to mock the church or something else, because why should they get a free pass from criticism and being mocked?
Do I or we hate people because they believe on something? No. Do we have to remotely think it's good or benefitial? No.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Nothing from the entirety of human existence had me believing in fairy tales so 2020 ain't got shit on all of human history. Just one more year to add to the shitpile.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
Didn't going in, sure as shit have no plan to change that. If one exists it would probably be some Lovecraft shit we would never want to contact. I see a severe lack of "all-good" that we attribute to higher beings.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
I personally think there's a possibility of a higher entity that does its own thing. Like it has a job, just like anyone else, but it's not concerned with human affairs.

The pandemic could be attributed to how humans interact with animals. Cancer is something else entirely though.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
If God didn't step in during the Bubonic Plague, Slavery, The Holocaust or either World War I don't know what anyone was expecting for 2020.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
I've loooooong moved on from religion, so 2020 is just another year for me in that aspect.

Material conditions aren't going to improve much following 2020 as the planet continues to burn, so I hope the communal aspect of religion survives because folks are going to need some support systems.
Just need to strip religion of all the unnecessary stuff that keeps people divided for no reason.

like whatever is keeping white evangelicals (gotta be specific here) trapped in their bullshit needs to be addressed immediately and treated as a public health issue:
pew.png

Kanann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Decade to come, many will wish he is real and beg for mercy. While die screaming.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
I can't tell if OP is joking or if they really think 2020 was a particularly low point in context of entire world history

Convasse

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA, USA
I can't tell if OP is joking or if they really think 2020 was a particularly low point in context of entire world history
My thoughts exactly. For America, this has been a hard year. But in terms of cumulative human history? This year is just a blip. Humanities' suffering has been much deeper and much broader than any single year can be blamed for.

RLCC14

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
God ain't real bro. 2020 is just when all of the problems society has came to a head and finally spilled into the open.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017

"Having lived through 2020" is right in the thread title. Maybe OP wasn't kickin it back in 1944, and maybe 99.99% of this forum wasn't either.

Oct 26, 2017
Setting aside the fact that recorded human history has seen much much worse times than 2020, the concept of a loving and just god (if you choose to believe in one) wouldn't be in question. If we take most current description of deities (setting aside ancient gods which were modelled much closer to human traits) nearly all of them leave a lot up to people themselves.
This pandemic can't be balmed on anyone but us. We let it get so bad. We continue to allow it to spread. (And by us I mean humanity itself)

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There is something that gives me hope out there. The universe is capable of some beautiful things.

But I also don't claim to have any answers about stuff that is beyond what can be proven. And I don't listen to others who claim to know something about it either.

For every tragedy, there are amazing people that give me hope too. My wife sacrificed her own health to treat COVID patients for example, and did so without any hesitation. My friends marched at rallies and others I know volunteered at polls.

Surrounding myself with people of that nature gives me tremendous hope on a daily basis. Sometimes things have to get bad to tell you what really matters... even if the concept of "mattering" at all is a social or psychological construct.

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
Imagine thinking Satan is going to chill with you cause you stuck it to the man. He's going to flay you endlessly.

"I decided to go with a sadistic, evil incarnate torturer over some deity who just wanted me to worship him, I figured the evil guy would chillax with me." - Individual on their 18287182598295 year of infinity being tortured.
Your justification for all of this is incredibly sad and hilarious.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Criticizing the actions of organized religion is one thing, but loaded threads meant specifically to antagonize our religious members are another. In light of this, and the immeasurable stress the Trump administration and election have caused, this thread is being closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.