• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Recently finished Kirby Star Allies, and despite my initial lukewarm first impressions, I really came to like the came, especially with how much character it had and how fun the combat was.

However, despite there being the usual extra modes in a Kirby game, I've decided to stop playing. Not because I think the game is bad or anything (although it being 30 FPS does not help in the slightest), but I feel like I've sort of seen everything the game has to offer in terms of what I can have fun.

Obviously this is probably a common sentiment, but I never really hear people talk about it that much, so I would love to hear from people who have similar stories.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
90% of the breath of the wild players just stopped playing because "like no way i will get all the koroks" or someting like that xD

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
I never played Mega Man Zero 4 despite considering MMZ3 the best MM of all time. I just felt that I had gotten everything I could from that franchise at that point, both narratively and gameplay-wise.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Like 40 hours of Bravely Default, decided to just stop even though it was fun.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I'm with you. I can't play a game just to pass the time. If it's showing me too much I don't like or not enough I haven't seen, I'll instantly click to another title.

Pineapple

One Winged Slayer
Mar 26, 2019
USA
I recently did this with the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon remake. Like I didn't think it was bad, but I had no interest in continuing. Played ten hours and felt like I had my fill of it.

Oct 27, 2017
Too many games to count, but most recently it was probably Bloodstained? It was fun but I got what I wanted out of it and haven't gone back to it.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Pretty much me and 95% of stuff I play. I don't beat games often.

Flon

Is Here to Kill Chaos
Oct 27, 2017
I felt this way towards New Horizons in just a couple hours of playtime across a couple days. I played some online, visited a lot of friends, even had my keyboard set up, then I started to get my house sorted and then I was already done. I had a lot of fun, but I find that I just don't really need to play anymore. It's a mixture of burn out and I've had my fill.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
This feels like me with Age of Calamity right now

I really like the game, it's a lot of fun, but I'm like 35 hours in, three chapters away from the end and I'm just kinda tired of playing it. Maybe I'll take a break and come back to it later.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Too many games to count, but most recently it was probably Bloodstained? It was fun but I got what I wanted out of it and haven't gone back to it.
Just yesterday I wondered why exactly I stopped playing Bloodstained. I remember I was enjoying it.

But then this happens to me a lot. I just hit a certain point and then that game gets dropped for months or years or forever. Games that I was really into. It's weird.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Nope. I feel an obligation to finish games that I start.

Otherwise I would have dropped Valhalla well before 111 hours lmao.

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
Like 90% of what I play nowadays. A lot fo the fun of games is 'mastering' the systems and, a lot of the time, once I get that down, I lose the mot to keep going. Committing to quitting is the actual hard part.

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
I think almost every game I ever play? I rarely feel compelled to 100% anything or see all the content. Sometimes I don't even bother with story endings for games with stories. I don't really think you are meant to 100% most games, I just like to have enjoyed the gameplay

Separately from my own behavior there though, many many games don't even have endings really, as you play runs or the same content in new ways repeatedly by design (most strategy games, roguelikes, sim games, survival/building games, puzzle games, all GaaS etc), so the only reason you even could stop is if you've had enough of it. So I don't even think the premise of the question quite works.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Metal Gear Solid 5. Burned out, will never play again.
Xenoblade Chronicles 2. After 200 hours I stopped. Still had a few bosses to go, and mastering the blades would have taken 300+ more hours I think.

Allietraa

Prophet of Truth
Mar 13, 2019
I do this with like every game I play. I can probably count on one hand the number of games I've "beaten" in the last 5 years. I just play until I get tired of it, regardless of how much of the game I've finished. I mean why keep playing something if I've had as much as I want of it lol? I'm playing games for fun, not as a job

Oct 27, 2017
Just yesterday I wondered why exactly I stopped playing Bloodstained. I remember I was enjoying it.

But then this happens to me a lot. I just hit a certain point and then that game gets dropped for months or years or forever. Games that I was really into. It's weird.

Yeah it's hard for me to out it into words but if I lose the "momentum" for something it's hard to get that same spark back. Especially the further away I get from when I last played something.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I do it a decent amount with Nintendo stuff outside of Mario because the story obviously isn't a driving force.

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
Zelda: Breath of the Wild, but unlike 1st post said, not because of the Koroko, I stopped at the 4th Beast, but I felt like I did what I had to do, I had the discovery and the wonder I wanted and even more than expected, so I didn't want to push it to far once I felt I was "done" with the game (still 80 hours with it).

It's probably the only game I've put down like that, but I don't regret it, I enjoyed every minute the game offered me.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
Horizon Zero Dawn

I filled up the map, collected all the collectables and did a shitton of sidequests. Didn't finish the story

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
If it's a story driven game, i always plan to finish it.

If it's a roguelike or something more arcade or online multiplayer, sure.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Far Cry 2,3,4,P. I liked all of them, but didn't finish them and after playing for hours and doing side quests and hunting, left them.
Also my first run of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. Played it for maybe 50 hours or even more and really loved it, but didn't finish the main story.

Vee

Oct 27, 2017
I would say the messenger but thats less having my fill and more disliking what they do with the second half.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
90% of the breath of the wild players just stopped playing because "like no way i will get all the koroks" or someting like that xD
That's an intentional design of the game. The game even makes fun of you if you get all 900 by giving the player a literal piece of shit. Both shrines and korok seeds are plentiful so that they give the player a natural discovery of each, and so that expanding hearts, stamina, or inventory size can occur naturally as the player explores.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I did this a lot when I was younger but now I'm more likely to just drop games because something else distracts me.

Something this kinda happened with recently is Dragon Quest Builders 2. I put like 15-20 hours into the game, might come back to it at some point, but I probably won't ever beat it. The gameplay loop is fun but it doesn't justify its length for me.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
I don't really ever bother getting 100% in any game so yeah I do that all the time. But I finish pretty much every game I play. I don't see any reason to get 100% in a game just because it has a big ol checklist or trophies or achievements or any of that junk. It's all just superfluous to me. If the game has a side activity or substories or things, I'll do it if it sounds good or if the activity itself is fun, not for the sake of completion.

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
I planned on doing Super Mario 3D Land all the way to the end, but I stopped after the first half (before you unlock Luigi). I recently sold my 2DS XL and was going to try and finish the game off and get to the final level before sending it off, but I just didn't have it in me. The game is fun, and playing as Luigi is nice, but the main campaign just isn't very memorable and I don't trust the special worlds to be much different. It's a great game! But even after getting halfway through the main campaign (which is maybe 3 or 4 hours of levels), I still felt like I had my fill.

Jun 5, 2018
Recently finished Kirby Star Allies, and despite my initial lukewarm first impressions, I really came to like the came, especially with how much character it had and how fun the combat was.

However, despite there being the usual extra modes in a Kirby game, I've decided to stop playing. Not because I think the game is bad or anything (although it being 30 FPS does not help in the slightest), but I feel like I've sort of seen everything the game has to offer in terms of what I can have fun.

Obviously this is probably a common sentiment, but I never really hear people talk about it that much, so I would love to hear from people who have similar stories.
Skyrim at least twice a year, most Pokemon games these past three years including old ones, probably more if I take a look, most games I just don't finish because I never have the motivation to, dragon age inquisition might be the biggest bloat filled game I played where I genuinely just had my fill actually.

Roubjon

Oct 25, 2017
That is why I don't finish the majority of the games I play. Most games don't really change that much after the first several hours and once I hit hour 20 I usually hit my limit and drop it. Obviously there are exceptions with games I really enjoy though.

YellowBara

Oct 26, 2017
A lot of RPG's end up like this for me, not that it makes the games bad by any means.

For example, I've bought Xenoblade Chronicles every time its been available in the West, and I only ever get as far as the town with the wing head people and by then I figure I'm good with what I've played. I love the game lots though and I'll keep starting playthroughs over.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Kinda feeling that with Xenoblade X right now. Around Chapter 5, 30 some-odd hours, and while the exploration is great, the stories just aren't all that compelling to me. I'm going to try to power through though since I love XC1 and XC2.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Me with most games after I started working

Got to the train yard in FF7R, and despite really being invested in the characters and narrative, I can't deal with the gameplay any more.

Same for Yakuza 0. I'm dying to know how the last few hours play out, but I can't deal with the combat for another 10 or so hours. I'm just done with it.

badatorigami

Dec 5, 2019
As a mostly-lapsed game enjoyer, I put 70hrs in a week and a half into Hades when it came out on switch. Wonderful game with more still to do, but I never want to touch it again.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Kinda feeling that with Xenoblade X right now. Around Chapter 5, 30 some-odd hours, and while the exploration is great, the stories just aren't all that compelling to me. I'm going to try to power through though since I love XC1 and XC2.
I wouldn't suggest powering through it. You have about ~45 hours left and it will grind you down as it did me.

The Stig

Oct 25, 2017
All the time these days. If the story doesn't have its claws in me once the gameplay loop plateaus I'll usually drop it a little while after that.

Far cry from my younger days where I'd play any hunk of trash you put in front of me through to completion.

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
Metal Gear Solid 5. Burned out, will never play again.
Xenoblade Chronicles 2. After 200 hours I stopped. Still had a few bosses to go, and mastering the blades would have taken 300+ more hours I think.

Xenoblade 2 is soooooo, so, so hard for me to continue because by the time you finish Chapter 2, you really have seen everything that that battle system has to offer, despite having 50 more hours of game to go through.

Shame because everything else about the game is great.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I mean, almost every game considering I almost never 100% a game.

I've dropped a lot of games before finishing them if that also counts, but that's more losing interest.

psychedelic

Oct 30, 2017
I played Ghost of Tsushima recently. Idk if this counts, but I realized early on that I was tired of open-world games in general and decided that I would only take side-quests from important characters, and I avoided going out of my way to collect stuff/complete checklists. I wish games would stop being open-world just for the sake of being open-world.