Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I always have too many games to play, but I never have a hard time picking one and playing it.

May 9, 2018
Choice paralysis is extremely real. I try to mitigate this by keeping "Now Playing" and "Want to Play" categories on Steam to keep me on-track with games I've already started and intend on finishing.

Coztoomba

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah it's called being an adult. I literally spend thousands of dollars on games, but most of the time I get home from work and watch netflix because I'm tired from working. I have hundreds of games I haven't played on Steam. I think most people in their 30's and up are the same tbh

Currently I'm playing Gears 5, Outer Worlds, Outer Wilds and Luigis Mansion 3. I just play whatever I feel like and try not to worry about finishing games.

+1 to this.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
This past year has been really killer on stuff to play. Luckily its been one of my most active years playing video games. Its nice to complete games again.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
The last 5 years at least. I've learned to kinda just put my brain on autopilot and pick what I feel like playing without consequence of the rest of my options. Otherwise I won't be able to choose and I just won't play anything. Right now I'm replaying Dark Cloud and Secret of Mana for the first time and I'm loving my time with both of them.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe when I retire I can play through the Yakuza series

Or perhaps, I'm doomed to replay Witcher 3 and Sleeping Dogs for the rest of my existence

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017
I got SW: Fallen Order, Bloodstained, Nier Automata, and Borderlands 3 for Christmas. I have enough games to last me the entire year.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
i don't think Ive "finished" a single game on my switch, im always switching between all of them

OP
OP
ejoshua

ejoshua

Oct 27, 2017
Such interesting replies!

I just finished the campaign for the new CoD: MW. I really liked it, felt like it landed somewhere between "serviceable" and "above-average."

I am now wanting to play Nier Automata since I never did B and C part, and never played the Witcher DLCs and the show has gotten me itching for it, oh and I got a Switch with Pokémon Sw/Sh for Christmas with 3 Houses and BotW.

It's also about time I started up Shadowbringers again since I have an FF itch.

What's that—I never finished Red Dead, Dishonored 3, or Deus Ex either. And Shadow if the Tomb Raider was fun when I played it, and my buddy just beat it has been gushing.

You know how it is.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, ever since... five or six years ago, when I tried new things and "unfortunately" expanded my tastes. There's so much I want to play, all the time, but then there's so much I just don't play anything. Sometimes miss being content with just one company's output lol.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Yep, I've had to mentally abandon hundreds of games in my library as games I'll never play because I was spending too much time trying to decide what to play and never actually playing anything.

At this point I just pick whatever sounds fun, even if it's a 7th playthrough of some game, because forcing myself to play things I'm not really excited about will just make me not play anything again.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Always. Especially after all the holiday deals.

But yeah, basically once I started making my own money. As a kid I would get one or two games a year.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Game Pass is great but it has also led me to download dozens of games and put like an hour into them because I can't decide which game to play.

I actually just started Bioshock 2 and want to finish that and am committing to it.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Always since I was able to buy my own games easily. Now they give you games for free on multiple apps. I beat a very replayable game recently and felt like I was forcing myself through it just so I can never look at it again, and replayability was one of my most important features of games as a kid.

scabobbs

Oct 28, 2017
only every year of my life since i got a real job. I sneak in 1-3 hours every couple of nights and finish games when I can :(

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This has been my gaming life since I got my Commodore 64 in the '80s. I don't overthink it. I just play whatever I get the urge to and don't worry about it.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm struggling with a weird conundrum. I have access thanks to streaming/backlogs/etc to almost any game that I've wanted, and I've got the next two weeks off work and all the time I've ever wanted.

The moment I go to open a game, I just end up cycling on to the next one, and then the next. I'm almost paralyzed by choice.

Anyone else experienced the same?
Same with tv series and movies. Im also a pretty open minded and likes all sorts od things which doesn't help, sometimes you just have to make a choice and not do certain things.

Also, i feel like sometimes i really want to play something but im not in the right mindset to play this game, so im waiting, sometimes it can be up to 2 years before going back at it but it's usually games that are worth the time and effort

Nov 8, 2017
It's definitely easy to feel that way especially if you've got a large backlog. I'm guilty of feeling like I'm rushing through games to get to the next at times, and sometimes I don't even know what I want to play next.

What has helped me is mixing things up by selecting a few games based on criteria (length, genre, platform) by going down a list from my backlog. I look at each title and ask myself "would I want to play this now?" and often I find myself saying with full confidence "no" to a lot of them. For any I say yes or maybe to, I add them to a short list and once the list gets to about 5 or so I compare only those and pick the one that appeals to me the most. Once I'm finished I take a look at the runner ups and determine if I want to play one of those or go through the process again to choose a new set of games.

What I like about this method is that often helps me pick my next one or two games, I never plan too far ahead so that it feels like work, and I'm allowed to reevaluate at any point. Having a big library should feel good, not stressful.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I'm struggling with a weird conundrum. I have access thanks to streaming/backlogs/etc to almost any game that I've wanted, and I've got the next two weeks off work and all the time I've ever wanted.

The moment I go to open a game, I just end up cycling on to the next one, and then the next. I'm almost paralyzed by choice.

Anyone else experienced the same?
Yep, constantly. Very annoying

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
Sometimes my gaming library feels like my wardrobe: Lots of clothes but nothing that looks good for the occasion.

Nitori

Oct 29, 2017
I'm trying to scale back my game purchasing since I play Destiny 2 on PC more than anything.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
Yes, it's been that way ever since I got my first paycheck.

Fortunately bullshit like mtx, bugged releases and EGS have changed my purchasing habits. More time for backlogs!

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
I have entered this phase a long time ago. Money isn't the problem anymore. It's the time that I don't have. I stop buying too many games during sales for this reason. I know I won't have enough time to play them all.

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
All the fucking time and I just made it worse by buying more shit than I need because of sales. I've been so much better about it the past few years, but I kinda fucked up this holiday and bought: Judgement, Disco Elysium, Call of Duty, A Plague Tale and more, rather than just beating the shit I already have. I slipped hard this year and now my backlog just grew to some absurd amount.

Escaflow

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah for now . I've just gotten into Tekken 7 , dabbling around SFV Champion Edition changes , trying to finish Dark Souls 3 DLC , and just bought RDR2 . Oh my .. the time is never enough

Hzsn724

Nov 10, 2017
Pick the one that you notice first. Spend some time with it. If you hate it then just move on and remove it from you backlog. There's no need to beat everything. No one else cares what you play in the end.

For me, I've always wanted to play Tales of Vespiria. It's been nagging at me for years. Finally, on Switch it's doable, and I'm loving the hell out of it.

Spacejaws

"This guy are sick" of the One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Even as a kid I had too much to play. Like do I play FFVII or VIII again on my PC? Perfect Dark go for Perfect scores? Goldeneye? Mario 64 grab all stars? Banjo again? Lylat Wars all medals? Pokemon Red/Silver replay? Smash Bros wipe a save and unlock everything again? Turok 1, 2, Rage Wars and Oblivion replays? Unreal Tournament? Try and get Escape from Monkey Island working on PC again? Baldurs Gate/Icewind Dale/NWN replays?

Like anytime I came home from school this was my conundrum and sometimes it broke me where I'd play 5 minutes of one then try another.

It got much worse once I discovered emulators.

PuppetMinion

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Used to have an huge backlog, I still have an backlog but not that large. Last few years I have started "working" through it and not impulse buying as much or just buying because it is cheap.(These things still happen but not as much) Though this steam sale did see me buy something like 7 games... But I have already finished one and is fairly close on another!

I try not to finish games out of some obligation but because I like them, if I am done with an game halfway through, then that is fine. Or if I realize it is not for me.

I think it is important to remember it is an hobby, you are supposed to have an good time

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Sometimes the saying "less is more" is really helpful, especially with this stuff.
What benefits does a huge library of games offer, when I'm not playing and enjoying those games all too much due to knowing that there's still a few dozens other games left? It's a really annoying feeling.

That's why I for instance took my Vita and put it into a box out of my sight. There are at least 5 or 6 games I have not finished on the Vita yet, but I just can't be bothered to cover those anymore. It's too much and I'm not willing to invest too much thought on how to tackle this backlog. After all gaming should be a enjoyable hobby and not some type of work.

With the PS4 being on its way out for the most part, I'm mainly playing on 3DS and Switch now with only a handful of games. Feels good! And I don't want to spend my whole day with gaming only, so reducing the amount of time spend with it is rather positive to me.

Saint Scylla

Dec 30, 2019
On Steam at least, I have found a solution which works for me, by taking the time to sort games into the following categories:
  1. Playing now (3 games max)
  2. Want to play
  3. Maybe
  4. Probably not
  5. Never
The "want to play" list is as the name suggests - it's games that I actually really want to play. Even then, I ended up with about 50 titles in there - though I've got that down to 42 now.​
The "maybe" list is one of good/interesting games, but ones that I don't have a burning desire to play. I'll look at those if I ever empty the "want to play" list.​
The "probably not" games are hidden, and are games which I'm probably not going to play for various reasons - often because I was interested when I bought them in a sale or got them in a bundle, but never got around to playing it and the time for that game may have passed now.​
The "never" games are often "bundle trash" or giveaways which were just cluttering up the library, and will be removed from the account.​

This has made it so much easier for me.
My mood/interest often changes too much to stick with a single game to completion, but I find that three games is enough to have some variety in my "playing now" list without being paralyzed by choice; making it very easy to sit down and play something without putting much thought into it.
I find that feeling "too tired to play games" is often "too tired to decide what I want to play" and limiting choice helps a lot.

Once I am done with a game, they end up in one of two categories:
  • Played (finished)
  • Played (unfinished)
The "unfinished" category is a list of games I have played to the point that I am satisfied with them, or have no desire to continue and want to remove them from the "playing now" list for something else.
Though I may not have finished them, this is a list of games I'm not going to return to. I make a point of moving them out of the other lists when doing this, so that it's actually being cut from the backlog.

I am also trying to avoid returning to the "finished" games list.
I find it very easy to return to old favorites that I know are good, instead of playing new games which are an unknown quantity, and I might not enjoy as much (or might enjoy more).
That's not to say you should never play old games, but I'm trying to make a point of spending my time with new games and slowly working through the backlog instead of revisiting old ones.

Since implementing this system a few months ago, I have found myself playing a lot more games again, and enjoying my time with them more.
I'm not playing games for 20 minutes and jumping to something else, because once a game is removed from the "playing now" list it moves into the "played" list instead of returning to the list of "available" games. That serves as motivation to actually stick with a game and see more of it before deciding whether I want to see it through to the end, or drop it entirely.
My goal for 2020 is to make meaningful progress through the backlog, and try to resist buying as many games as possible - even if they're a really good deal. Sales come around every few months, and if I really wanted to play a game, I can afford to pay a bit more anyway. No more buying games that I want to get around to playing later.
If I do buy any new games—and so far, there are four I'm looking forward to in 20H1: Coffee Talk, Animal Crossing, Cyberpunk 2077, and Bloodlines 2—it will be with the intent of playing them right away.

I've come to the same conclusion last year and built pretty much the same system. At first it takes a bit of time to sort your library into categories, but then you can just hide all those "noise" categories and focus on what you really want to play. Away with the nostalgy and the embarrassement of an overwhelming backlog!

Jan 10, 2018
No,I've learnt to deal with this over the years. I only focus on 2-3 games at a time and I don't keep track of any backlog. I only take note of really promising games and then I decide to get them or just move on to something else. It happens that I miss out on certain games that I want to play later on but it doesn't bother me at all.

My increasing standards for what entertains me has also helped greatly with this matter.

rainz

Nov 1, 2017
For 20 years maybe..
Making a "Now Playing" list in steam has helped, same with only pinning the installed games im playing on xbox also.

Also I try not to look at it as too much, my backlog extends generations so im just happy there is a flavour for whatever mood im in gaming wise.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Since the early Wii/DS/PS3 years, it's been constant backlog time.
I had enough to last me 10 years then (managed to get my hands on old games and new was releasing at fast pace).
Now?
I could probably stop buy anything and last till my great grandkids have kids.
It's insane.

ridaxan

Oct 29, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
Yup, definitely feeling this a lot recently, even though it's not anything new for me.

Instead of chipping away at a SP game to finish I end up just hopping online for a couple of sessions in MK11 or CODMW.