meechan

Jan 10, 2021
kof xiv, even xv's improved visuals leave much to be desired compared to the older titles, i guess lack of budget really suck man

Jan 9, 2018
Many people complain about tutorials, but for some people that could be their first game, so they are needed, but they should be skippable or very reduced at least for the people who already know.

Other than that, I couldn't continue past the first mission of BLOPS3, de dialogue was so stupid, the characters were terrible people all of them, It felt like being a part of a group full of asholes, but I guess I felt more disgusted than insulted. I uninstalled the game right away

Yoshi88

Oct 26, 2017
Grand Theft Auto V's story mode/narrative, a tremendous amount of it seemed like Rockstar hated fans of its own games. The entire narrative loop of the game, for 40 hours or whatever, is basically "Wait... you actually did this _insert annoying task_ for no reward? How do you keep falling for this, you idiot!"

I get that the Housers want to make a commentary on American life, the capitalist system, videogame design, or something, but it sucks, it's hypocritical (especially as TakeTwo/Rockstar have taken their vast financial resources out of passion projects like Red Dead and poured them into soul-less money printing machines like GTA Online), and it seems especially mean spirited to the fans fans of Rockstar videogames.

You described very well what drove me away from Rockstar games and i fully agree.

Especially the 1st RDR was exclusively: "Wait... you actually did this _insert annoying task_ for no reward? How do you keep falling for this, you idiot!" and i never got the praise for the missions, characters etc.

And the "commentary" on western life, capitalism etc. is an irony of itself at this point, unaware of it, too.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
"Insulted" doesn't really feel like a term that applies to how I feel when a game takes a turn for the worst. I didn't like the ending to FFVIIR either but I wasn't insulted, more just a shrug at the final confirmation that this series wasn't something I wanted anymore.

Taking it more literally I often enjoy when games make playful insults at my expense and think it's a shame when people want that kind of humour turned down. If anything insults me it's those games that treat me like I'm gods gift to gaming. I love Forza Horizon but please stop telling me I'm the most impressive driver ever just because I finished 3rd in a race.

Oct 25, 2017
Probably Battletoads?

The entire joke of that game was "the Battletoads are stupid, people who like the Battletoads are stupid, we don't want to work on this game".

The game being fucking terrible doesn't help.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't offended by any of it, but there's clearly a bunch of stuff in DmC that was poking fun at fans. The wig thing for one. There's also a scene where there's a big fat guy chugging the demon juice energy drink, and he's wearing a shirt with a big fat 5 on it.

Many non-fans of DMC as well picked up on both, so it wasn't exactly subtle.

l30066-obese-male-71456.png

(image is flipped)

Like I said, not offended. I bought DmC day 1 and made a ton of feedback contributions to the demo on the official forum. I've had several conversations with DmC devs about the game and I respect them all (well, I guess I have somewhat mixed feelings about Tameem and Taini), and I'm thrilled that Rahni Tucker is directing HB2.

I only felt like that with DmC. The whole game felt like it was made by someone who hates the franchise's legacy with passion.
And if you decide to keep playing the game until the end, the last thing you will see is some random dude giving you the middle finger... which felt kinda insulting.
Maybe I just read too much into it, I don't know. But I couldn't help but to feel like the game was constantly insulting me.

That dude was Dante's mocap and voice actor, Tim Phillips.

Last edited:

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
Many people complain about tutorials, but for some people that could be their first game, so they are needed, but they should be skippable or very reduced at least for the people who already know.

Other than that, I couldn't continue past the first mission of BLOPS3, de dialogue was so stupid, the characters were terrible people all of them, It felt like being a part of a group full of asholes, but I guess I felt more disgusted than insulted. I uninstalled the game right away
While you're not entirely wrong, keep in mind that often times I (and many others) don't dislike tutorials because we already know how to do something but rather because we want to figure it out on our own.

3647518-tutorial.jpg

Doom Eternal is an incredibly fun game but stuff like this is a punch in the gut. They didn't even give me a chance to figure out how to beat him on my own!

Caped Baldy

Dec 11, 2017
I felt a little insulted in Control. I was having a great time with the game, but some of the bosses were giving me trouble and making it not fun. Like they were just a touch too strong. So I was happy to see in the options that you can make little tweaks like how much the auto aim helps you, or strong your shots are, etc. I thought it was a nice alternative to just having the standard "Easy", "Normal", "Hard" difficulties. I felt like I could give myself a little bit of help, without feeling like I was removing all of the challenge from the game. Neat! I wish more games did this!

But when you go to tweak some of these options though, the game gives you a "Are you sure? This game is so perfectly balanced, and you're about to ruin it by messing with these options!" prompt.

So why give me the options to make all these little tweaks if everything is great then? Honestly, either don't let me tweak all these balancing options, or shut the fuck up. Don't make me feel bad for using options something you, the developer, felt like the game needed to include.

Honorable mention to Uncharted 2, who couldn't wait more than 5 minutes for me to figure out a puzzle before slapping me in the face with hints. Can you please just let me look around a little? Maybe I'm awestruck by some of the set pieces and just want to take it all in for a minute? Just piss off for a second!

gebler

Oct 27, 2017
Final Fantasy X-2 turning Zanarkand into a cheesy tourist attraction with Isaaru as its zany tour guide, maybe? Felt quite disrespectful to the first game and the fans who appreciated its somber mood. It was early in the game, and I actually dropped it not long after, suspecting there would be more things like that spoiling my fond memories of the first game.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2018
Philadelphia
So many parts of Wolfenstein 2 made me feel like the writers really didn't give a shit about the characters or what made the first game's writing so compelling. So many attempts at tongue-in-cheek zingers and diet Tarantino humor that really soured my experience with it.

Bengraven

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Had to search up this thread for a game.

Arceus.

Like I dug a bit of what they were doing. Wandering the open world, an old school Pokemon.

But my god what a massive embarrassment of a full priced game. Say what you will about Sword/Shield, but this game cost the exact same and had a sliver of the content.

- very bland open hubs that felt very PS2 era-ish. At their best. They felt like GF were like "you want open world; here we go".

-no new Pokémon and a very small roster of exist ones. The new forms were okay but there were such a small helping of them I basically forgot.

- bland story with tons of what felt like filler missions. Great characters though, but it also feels like they should have been voice acted. I can accept an RPG without every line being voiced, hell I put hundreds of hours into Genshin the last year. But due to how slow it took to get through dialogue, it almost should have just been voiced. Also on the story beat - I still have no fucking clue what happened there at the end.

It felt like lower quality S/S DLC with movement options added.

I didn't hate the first half, I enjoyed it at first playing my first Pokémon game side by side with my kid, but there came a moment when I grew to realize how much of a quick cash grab it was and how empty and soul less it was.

When I saw the trailer for Scarlet and Violet I realized they must have put the majority of time and effort into that and I'll just go play it and forget Arceus exists.

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
Honorable mention to Fi from the OG skyward sword release who felt the need to chime in on everything. It really felt like the developers thought the audience of that game wasn't smart enough to handle it.

Shadout

Shinra Employee
Oct 27, 2017
I would consider Diablo Immortal an insult to humankind.
Other than monetization, not really. I might definitely be disappointed by games and developers decisions though.

SoloTerran

Jun 29, 2018
The Last of Us 2. Where they made you play as the person who killed your favourite character. The way they did it felt like a slap in the face. Could have been handled much better or just not done at all.

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Probably Battletoads?

The entire joke of that game was "the Battletoads are stupid, people who like the Battletoads are stupid, we don't want to work on this game".

The game being fucking terrible doesn't help.

Battletoads is not the best single player experience, but it is a blast co-op. All the mini-games are great fun when you have all 3 players doing different roles. And the game is always doing something different. I think the game gets a lot more hate than it deserves.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
This is a more out-there example, but one of the fights in Final Fantasy X, the dragon one when you're on the ship and need to move the ship away from it. The boss casts haste on itself partway through, and trying to take that off makes it break turn order to re-apply haste and attack you, instead of having some kind of immunity to Slow. That felt like a "spiteful" design choice, like it was done specifically to be aggravating in many ways. That was probably the turning point for me going from just disliking how the game was designed to actively despising it, from "respecting" the design in spite of how questionable a lot of parts were, to going "fuck this game" and ultimately looking up the ending on Youtube.

Last edited:

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Heavy handed tutorials which make it seem like you never played a game. Please make this stuff optional.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
The Last of Us 2. Where they made you play as the person who killed your favourite character. The way they did it felt like a slap in the face. Could have been handled much better or just not done at all.
I'm not a huge fan of the game, but making you purposely uncomfortable in someone else's shoes isn't an insult, it's storytelling. You were supposed to reckon with the multiple sides of this, as well as ask yourself why you had no problem being a murder machine as Joel in the first game but this one was a step too far.

DaveB

Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Assassin's Creed III's ending made me think question why I cared so much about the game's story when it was clear Ubisoft didn't.
Never mind the 4 hours playing as a Templar before actually taking control of the main character.

Pokémon Scarlet & Violet will be on this list if they remove the Arceus style catching. I'm sorry if you like "traditional" but I'm over it. Respect my time.

Spacejaws

"This guy are sick" of the One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Probably not in the same vein but these fucking guys in GT7 when I'm trying to shave half a second off my best silver attempt to hit gold.

C1Q8FDI.jpg

Like ok cool mate I'm 0.5 seconds away from Gold I know how to drive this track just fuck off will ya.

Bengraven