• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Have you ever edited a wikipedia page?

• Yes

Votes: 145 71.4%
  • No

Votes: 58 28.6%

• Total voters

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
I think I've only ever edited a wikipedia page once, and it was because the information was so poorly written, that I felt compelled to re-write it, and with the correct information.

Have you ever felt the need to edit a wikipedia page, whether it's to add updated information, or correct something?

Pororoka

Nov 1, 2017
MX
I do it frequently on the spanish Wikipedia on slow days at my job, sometimes because there is a lot of vandalism and mainly for some articles that are direct machine translations of other pages.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
I add sources at times, and context. Once I had an edit war on the page for hamburgers though because my boss kept changing it to add pork burgers and I kept deleting her terrible opinions.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, went and made a small edit, but then that screwed up the references section. >_>

Took a little bit to figure out, but eventually got it fixed.

Oct 29, 2017
Florida
Yeah, but most of my edits are just stuff like fixing grammar or spelling errors, fixing broken templates (mostly on pages that won't get a lot of traffic), and occasionally removing vandalism or other nonsense people have added to pages.

Seriously sometimes low-traffic pages have a lot of bizarre nonsense on them, I don't even mean like vandalism but like clearly someone who doesn't know how Wikipedia works, like a message to a TV channel requesting that they air some show they used to watch as a kid on the article listing the shows aired by that channel.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, mostly reverting vandalism or fixing minor grammatical or phrasing issues. The most substantial (I guess) edit I made was a 2006 upload of a photo I took of my university's library which is used to this day on various pages related to the university. Honestly the photo was low-res and grainy even for its time (iirc I had the camera settings fucked up but didn't realize it until later) but it does look pretty good in the thumbnail.

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah but only small things like spelling, correcting some details, formatting. Nothing substantial

As a teen I tried to write some articles at one of those wikipedia parody pages that used to be popular. Found them again recently and they're as awful as I expected. 15-year-old me was terribly unfunny...

Gaardus

Oct 27, 2017
Mostly vandalism repairs, but I recall filling out the Pokemon Trading Figure Game a bit, too. Nothing major.

Last edited:

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America
Part of my original paragraph on the The Last of Us' top page prefix from 2013 remains there to this day.

I used to be a maniac about wiki proofreading. And parlance. And media contribs. *points to veteran medals*

Hohohoh!!

I don't keep up with the community anymore but a few fun, fleeting subjects of rapport were encountered therein. ^^" Miss y'all!!

Last edited:

Tezz

Oct 27, 2017
I actually added some information after reading the Epic of Gilgamesh. With citations and everything.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fixed some terrible grammar on the entry for "Quesadilla"

Edit: you guys making joke edits are hilarious

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I actually used to do quite a bit of page translations, but the community wasn't great so I only do it if I stumble across some easily fixable mistake these days.

BAW

Oct 27, 2017
Only once, just to correct a typo. I was too OCD to just leave it like that.

Axe

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I used to be a regular contributor about a decade ago with thousands of edits. I got involved with various projects and initiatives, such as redesigns and even weighed in on some of bigger changes to the site. It was fun.

Ultimately though, there was just too much petty drama to deal with. The cabal of power users drove me and others away from the site with their increasingly hostile behaviour and attempts at locking down control for themselves. Many of these people weren't and presumably still aren't interested in actually collaborating, only in getting their own way.

It wasn't worth the stress, and luckily these days there are lots of smaller more focused wikis for various topics which I prefer to contribute to instead.

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. I did one for umm, it was over on gaf but it was a thread about someone being an ass (US senator or something along those lines) and I edited his page to show what he did.

Z-oo31

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Yes, mostly to correct weird sentences, or to add a sentence.

Never a paragraph or full article though.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I once was asked to update the wikipedia page of a company I worked for. All they wanted was ro update the number of employees worldwide, which jumped from 600 to 700 in about 2 years.

I tried it about 5 times, everytime some random asshole changed it back.

Never touched another wikipedia entry since then.

Oct 28, 2017
No, mostly because most of the stuff I've seen on Wikipedia (German and English) seems OK already. No need to muck around.
Other than that, it seems too much effort. Not because of the technical side but the social / human side.

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I once added a note to the page for The Dead Kennedys declaring them the largest band in history as a goof.

I've also fixed a few references on baseball pages because there's a former prominent executive named Bobby Brown and all the links referred to the singer.

Feb 15, 2018
209268-weird-al-yankovic-i-edit-wikipedia.jpg