lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
This really doesn't surprise me. I mean, again, a lot of the people wanting these grew up as young kids watching the 90s one, but it really hasn't aged well at all. Crystal is to 90s SM what Kai was to DBZ, but with fully updated art.
It's aged just fine in the fact that people still prefer it. I was in a Japanese import cosmetics shop with my wife recently, and they had a section full of Sailor Moon branded cosmetics... all with '90s style art on them.

The main argument that I could give for the Takeuchi/Crystal art not taking off is that it's too "precious". It's full-on shoujo, whereas the '90s art leans a bit more mainstream and is more relatable in terms of expression.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Yeah, it's old. They also have had multiple iterations of Pokemon monopoly, and Yokai Watch monopoly junior and Life, which my kids have. It's not like they're licensing obscure anime, but ones that are relatively mainstream.

Here's a list (not sure how complete, but if you're going to have a site dedicated to monopoly I assume you're on top of stuff like this)
https://monopoly.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_Monopoly_Games_(Board)

Zhengi

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
1. buy a wii
2. buy a copy of fortune street
3. never play monopoly again. only fortune street

It depends on which aspects of Monopoly you actually enjoy. Monopoly is such a terrible board game that it's hard to not do better then it, but which games you'd particularly be interested in depends on your personal preferences. As far as general board games, I can personally vouch for Ticket to Ride, (train route construction game that can be explained in a couple minutes) 7 Wonders, (Card drafting game that scales incredibly well with up to 7 players) and Dominion. (Deck building game that can play wildly differently depending on which cards are available) None of them play very similarly to Monopoly though, but there's tons of lists online of games similar to Monopoly that are better.

Well just to name a couple, Machi Koro is a better substitute for Monopoly IMO. Tokaido is another good choice for something chill and different but still competitive. And if you have a semi regular group of players who like the basic Risk gameplay, Risk Legacy is awesome. For a co-operative game, Forbidden Island is pretty cool - no sore losers in this genre, everyone wins or loses as a team.

It's not off topic fuck monopoly.

Settlers of Catan
Carcassonne
Ticket to ride

Any of these 3 are fantastic gateway board games into a whole new era of board games where you realise there is much more to board games.

Fuck monopoly.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will take a look at these.

I am interested in Ticket to Ride, but it seems like there are so many expansions like New York, Europe, etc. Guess I'll try the original one before looking at the other ones.

Sylvee

Oct 25, 2017

I am interested in Ticket to Ride, but it seems like there are so many expansions like New York, Europe, etc. Guess I'll try the original one before looking at the other ones.

Ticket to Ride is an excellent choice. One thing to keep in mind (not just with buying Ticket to Ride but most board games) is that most expansions DO NOT come with the base materials as they assume you already got them from buying the base game or a standalone expansion. As such the first one you should buy has to be one that comes with the base materials unless you have a friend that you plan on always playing with who already has them. The 3 big ones that I'd recommend are either the base game, Europe, or Nordic Countries. Nordic is great for 2-3 players, but can't be played with more then that number of players so if you plan on ever playing with 4+ it's probably not the best choice. The base game has some issues with replayability (there are expansion packs for the base game that help fix this) but it's great for if you want more cuthroat interaction. Europe has a couple more rules added onto the base game (still simple enough to be very beginner-friendly though) and introduce Train Stations which make the game a lot more forgiving if someone takes the route you want.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I swear that DBZ board was released back when the show was still airing but that might just be Mandella Effect at work.

Yep, scored a copy of it during a Barnes & Noble clearance.

Yes, Monopoly's design is questionable at best, but throw in house rules and you can make something ridiculous out of it and have a blast. I will shamelessly continue to collect the boards.

Honestly, I usually feel the opposite, where a lot of the common house rules turn the game into a slog but actually playing the game as written (auction off properties if they aren't bought upon landing, no Free Parking money, etc.) it gets a lot more playable.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll say this, themes make the game more fun but they don't make the game good. I'm not sure I'll ever understand Monopoly's enduring popularity.

When i was a kid I had this:

Starwars_Monopoly%20(1%20of%203).jpg

star-wars-monopoly-640x533.jpg

The pewter play pieces were awesome but they were also terrible because they broke very easily.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Oh shit.

This really doesn't surprise me. I mean, again, a lot of the people wanting these grew up as young kids watching the 90s one, but it really hasn't aged well at all. Crystal is to 90s SM what Kai was to DBZ, but with fully updated art.

As an added bonus, if whoever has a Char piece wins you get to drop a colony on the board.

If you ask me, Crystal sucked all the charm away.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'll say this, themes make the game more fun but they don't make the game good. I'm not sure I'll ever understand Monopoly's enduring popularity.

I think it's mainly because of Parker Bros./Milton Bradley/Hasbro dominating the board game isle at most big box stores for so long. Seems like it's only in recent years that stuff like Catan has started to get shelf space in those stores.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's mainly because of Parker Bros./Milton Bradley/Hasbro dominating the board game isle at most big box stores for so long. Seems like it's only in recent years that stuff like Catan has started to get shelf space in those stores.
When the most memorable trait of your boardgame is that most game sessions are never finished then you have a bad game.

The best Monopoly game is the 2001 pinball machine. Pat Lawlor's design cleverly incorporates elements of the boardgame into the rules of the machine as well as its physical design.

flyer_monopoly_stern.jpg

monopoly_pinball_flyer_back.jpg

When I first played this machine I was super skeptical of the theme but it's actually pretty awesome.

Last edited:

fick

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
man I was picturing just an "Anime Monopoly" which I figured might be insane enough to look into...this is disappointing

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 18742

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Important info, this is not actually made by Hasbro. The Monopoly license is given / sold rights to the company, Usaopoly, who makes and sells these types of licenses like Dragonball, Nintendo, etc on the Monopoly brand. You can see the "Licensed by Hasbro" right on the box. Again, not made by them and don't own the rights to make toys for these IPs / anime.

My dad (seriously) has been working at Hasbro for decades. He always told me they are cool ideas for Monopoly but are general lower quality materials and just cash grabs.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Important info, this is not actually made by Hasbro. The Monopoly license is given / sold rights to the company, Usaopoly, who makes and sells these types of licenses like Dragonball, Nintendo, etc on the Monopoly brand. You can see the "Licensed by Hasbro" right on the box. Again, not made by them and don't own the rights to make toys for these IPs / anime.

My dad (seriously) has been working at Hasbro for decades. He always told me they are cool ideas for Monopoly but are general lower quality materials and just cash grabs.

Huh, so Usaopoly isn't a subsidiary of Hasbro? It's a completely separate company?

Deleted member 18742

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Huh, so Usaopoly isn't a subsidiary of Hasbro? It's a completely separate company?
Completely separate company. I have no idea how the negotiations work (and if I did, I wouldnt say). But my understanding is that Usaopoly pays to use the Monopoly license (and plenty other of board games too), while paying for the rights to use other IPs in board games that they have the license to use.

Even says on their website and box art "Licensed by Hasbro".

OP
OP

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Completely separate company. I have no idea how the negotiations work (and if I did, I wouldnt say). But my understanding is that Usaopoly pays to use the Monopoly license (and plenty other of board games too), while paying for the rights to use other IPs in board games that they have the license to use.

Even says on their website and box art "Licensed by Hasbro".

Interesting, thanks for this clarification, I thought this was all done through Hasbro via a subsidiary.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I will never understand the amount of properties not known for their buildings and streets that have a monopoly version

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I'd suggest Ticket to Ride New York. It's the barest, shortest version of the game designed as an entry point, but it's very enjoyable. If you like that one, then you can go on and shell out for the original or Europe (IMO the best).

Also may as well plug the Board Gaming OT

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
It's all about monopoly deal folks

Perfects the monopoly formula and each game ends within 20 min max

MonsterJail

Self requested temp ban
Avenger
Feb 27, 2018
Bit of a shame that the DBZ one uses characters rather than locations

Preferably every one would be a different rocky battlefield away from civilization