• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Has Microsoft/343's tight-lipped approach to Halo Infinite increased or decreased your interest?

• Increased - I'm dying to know more

Votes: 414 43.4%
  • Decreased - it's giving me a bad feeling about the game

Votes: 540 56.6%

• Total voters

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
If it's another flop, then I fear the worst for 343i as a studio. They've worked on the IP long enough now that they have no excuses for messing it up.

I'm not sure how many chances core Halo fans are willing to give them at this point too.

Agreed, it really is a make or break scenario for them. Hence the level of investment the game is getting.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Agreed, it really is a make or break scenario for them. Hence the level of investment the game is getting.

Really guys?
You peeps need to hold it together.
Halo 4 sold well, Halo 4 also had a pretty damn good campaign and was a graphical benchmark of the last generation.

Halo 5 sold well, and Halo 5s multiplayer was actually amazing.
Its unfortunate it came out during the loot box craze so Warzone was unbalanced.....but the core gameplay of MP was actually very very good.
I will say I didnt particularly like the campaign and it not having split screen coop really hurt the game for me.

I can safely bet Halo Infinite will do well sales wise and unless they really fuck shit up im pretty confident the game will be good, the silence just wants me to see more of it.

The in engine cutscene they showed way back when got me really excited to see more.....but gameplay is what im really looking forward to.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
My interest doesn't change based on their approach to marketing.

Poll should have more than 2 options.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Unless Halo Infinite is truly terrible, it'll do just fine sales-wise as a launch title. Not just that, but if Microsoft include Game Pass codes in the box with the XSX, then even measuring "sales" of it might be kinda useless since literally no XSX buyer would NEED to buy it. They'll look at player numbers instead.

I remain cautiously optimistic about Halo Infinite. 343 Industries have said and shown all the right things so far, and made it pretty clear that they've learned from the reception of Halo 4 and 5. Both of the trailers they've shown have looked terrific, and I already care more about Pelican Beard Guy than I did any member of Team Osiris in Halo 5.

Honestly, my biggest fear right now is simply that they "over-correct", and focus too much on making a throwback game to satisfy the diehard fans who use words like "classic" and "iconic" unironically, rather than continuing to take chances and creatively evolve the series.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a cross-gen title. How many cross-gen/next-gen titles have had a more thorough advertisement campaign with gameplay videos and whatnot? Infinite was also gonna get shown better this year, we'll see with the COVID-19 situation if that changes. Why are there so many alarmist threads about the game today?

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
Does it couch co-op? Then I'll give it a go.

I have no interest in the world of Halo (never finished the first one) and don't find them vastly entertaining, but It's a series (after one) that I have always played with friends via splitscreen. So there is some nostalgia in that.

5 Didn't have it and it sucked...though I don't think those two were mutually exclusive.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
Really guys?
You peeps need to hold it together.
Halo 4 sold well, Halo 4 also had a pretty damn good campaign and was a graphical benchmark of the last generation.

Halo 5 sold well, and Halo 5s multiplayer was actually amazing.
Its unfortunate it came out during the loot box craze so Warzone was unbalanced.....but the core gameplay of MP was actually very very good.
I will say I didnt particularly like the campaign and it not having split screen coop really hurt the game for me.

I can safely bet Halo Infinite will do well sales wise and unless they really fuck shit up im pretty confident the game will be good, the silence just wants me to see more of it.

The in engine cutscene they showed way back when got me really excited to see more.....but gameplay is what im really looking forward to.
This. I imagine they're doing something drastically different. This extensive dev period is VERY new for the IP. I think we are seeing a huge open world where we see dope ray tracing and exploration

HgS

Dec 13, 2019
I'm somewhere between neither excited or upset about the communication to feeling positive about it. Personally, I think the long marketing component to Halo 5 hurt it. It's pretty obvious the marketing campaign was devised and implemented either before or during a time when the games story ended up changing significantly. Halo 5's campaign was never going to be my favourite Halo campaign, but having the story go in such a different direction from the marketing made it way worse IMO.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It has done nothing for my interest in the game because it does not exist. So I guess my answer is neither poll option.

VaanXSnake

Banned
Jul 18, 2018
They still need to prove themselves after 2 médiocre Halo games, Coalition did a better job with Gears, they need to show us the game as quick as possible

superNESjoe

Developer at Limited Run Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Hard to be interested in a game we've literally never seen before. Nothing we've seen is gameplay, nobody knows what the game is.

Rabalder.

Dec 8, 2018
5 year dev cycle, a brand new engine, a return to classic Halo art design. I can't wait to see the game tbh. I just hope it's not as forgettable as 4/5.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
They still need to prove themselves after 2 médiocre Halo games, Coalition did a better job with Gears, they need to show us the game as quick as possible

They really don't. What do they lose by showing the game in June, instead of now?

If the game looks great, it's not going to matter if they show it now, or three months from now. If anything, recency bias means they probably benefit from waiting until closer to launch to show the game for the first time.

They want people to see the game and go "wow!" , then rush to Amazon to pre-order the XSX. You can't do that right now.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's a cross-gen title. How many cross-gen/next-gen titles have had a more thorough advertisement campaign with gameplay videos and whatnot? Infinite was also gonna get shown better this year, we'll see with the COVID-19 situation if that changes. Why are there so many alarmist threads about the game today?
Halo hasn't shown any gameplay.

Gray Fox

Jul 6, 2018
I think the mp experience will be fine if they continue with how it was in Halo 5. I didn't play it too much but I thought it was a solid experience, much better than Halo 4.

It's the campaign that worries me. I loved 1-3, ODST and Reach, but couldn't care less about 4 and 5.

Henrayuh

Oct 15, 2019
More like I'll forget about it then see it mentioned somewhere and get excited again only to forget about it. Repeat.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Hard to be interested in a game we've literally never seen before. Nothing we've seen is gameplay, nobody knows what the game is.

giphy.gif

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I thought most people liked Halo 4? They don't seem terrible. Maybe people just have ridiculously high standards for that franchise.

Halo 4s campaign gets a lot of live retroactively- my guess is because many people that didn't like it don't really discuss halo any more. At the time, Many people were confounded by the story and disappointed in the linear map design and poor new enemy designs. The multiplayer servers were barren weeks after the game launched.

That game did incredible harm to the franchise.

People do have high standards for the franchise, because it was the definitive xbox game and among the most popular gaming brands for 2 generations... then it quickly became an also-ran FPS when it changed hands.

Last edited:

piratethingy

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My first thought was that they've decreased my interest but I don't think that's due to their lack of info so far. We're far enough out for that to be fine, but the longer we wait the more I just think about how MCC is one of the biggest embarrassments in the history of videogames so idk.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
On the one hand I feel great about the little bits we've seen, but seeing key people leave the project has got me a little worried.

I really feel like Halo games have almost never gotten everything right. They've all failed in some ways, but I've really got my hopes up that this could be the game where they really nail it.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Look at it positive, If we finally see something. Its closer to release and makes the wait less hard.

BroodShadow

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not only is it hard to be excited for a game we have not seen it is even harder given how 343 has handled the franchise up to this point.
They have a lot to prove and i'm really pessimistic about infinite given the quality of their products.
But hey they could come out with a game that is close in quality to the bar Bungie set.

Feb 23, 2018
The wait is insufferable.

I know it's really stupid and there are so many more important things going on right now... but I'm working in a hospital and I'm really afraid to never experience this game... Halo means so much to me, it's like a shining beacon on the horizon that keeps me going, yet at the same time is so far away...

Best of luck to 343i, keep it safe!

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
This is the first time in the Halo franchise we have not seen some gameplay demo in less then a year before launch, or even a ViDoc at least.

Some may argue that development may be at risk, and 343i are waiting till the very end to show it because it could damage them in a very bad way if they show it in a early/buggy state.
They could not be wrong, especially after Halo 5 Campaign fiasco.

But personally, as an avid fan since CE E3 demo on a friggin' Mac, I believe this time it's more likely due to the new "Slipstream" engine.
This is also the first time an Halo game took over 5 years of development to ship mainly for this reason.
For the first time in 20 years, the main "Blam!", extremely re-iterated and improved among generation, Halo engine got actually totally replaced from scratch by a new one with monster devices like XSX and current best high-end PC as the new baseline in mind.

This reason alone is a monumental effort for a features-packed game like Halo, and an huge bet to be able to keep the best of previous engine and games while introducing all the new advantages and innovation the new one could offer.

This, and the fact Halo Infinite is 100% tied with the launch and showcase of what XSX can actual deliver have delayed that gameplay demo to the very end to me (last E3 before shipping the new console) , where also many other next-gen games will finally get unveiled.

Microsoft is actually trying to pull off another "OG Xbox + Halo CE" proposal and success.

And, in my opinion, everything is pointing toward the fact they may actually do it again.

Mr_DyZ

Banned
Jun 12, 2019
343i gave us a great SP in H4

H5 had a great MP.

To say 343i gave us nothing is laughable.

I am hoping that H:I gives us the complete package.

Halo 4's MP alone should immediately negate any redeeming qualities Halo 4/5 had.

Halo is a game founded on MP. Sure, there's a great single player story in there, but its bread and butter has always been multiplayer. Halo 4's implementation was a stain on the series.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
This is the first time in the Halo franchise we have not seen some gameplay demo in less then a year before launch, or even a ViDoc at least.

Some may argue that development may be at risk, and 343i are waiting till the very end to show it because it could damage them in a very bad way if they show it in a early/buggy state.
They could not be wrong, especially after Halo 5 Campaign fiasco.

But personally, as an avid fan since CE E3 demo on a friggin' Mac, I believe this time it's more likely due to the new "Slipstream" engine.
This is also the first time an Halo game took over 5 years of development to ship mainly for this reason.
For the first time in 20 years, the main "Blam!", extremely re-iterated and improved among generation, Halo engine got actually totally replaced from scratch by a new one with monster devices like XSX and current best high-end PC as the new baseline in mind.

This reason alone is a monumental effort for a features-packed game like Halo, and an huge bet to be able to keep the best of previous engine and games while introducing all the new advantages and innovation the new one could offer.

This, and the fact Halo Infinite is 100% tied with the launch and showcase of what XSX can actual deliver have delayed that gameplay demo to the very end to me (last E3 before shipping the new console) , where also many other next-gen games will finally get unveiled.

Microsoft is actually trying to pull off another "OG Xbox + Halo CE" proposal and success.

And, in my opinion, everything is pointing toward the fact they may actually do it again.
Biggest thing is that it will launch with a new console, Wich didnt happened for 18 years now. Other released had more "freedom" really.

Charcoal

Nov 2, 2017
I'm super excited for whatever 343 is bringing to the table.

At this point, I'm hoping we'll see something a la Doom 2016, where we see a huge blow out at E3, followed by release a few months later.

Nickgia

Dec 30, 2017
I'm still indifferent. I need info to change my opinion and until I actually know how this game is going to play then I'm not going to care.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
The game left the zeitgeist incredibly fast. It's a complete irrelevance on the multiplayer front.
I can't speak for others, but the only reason I stopped playing multiplayer despite really enjoying it was because of the battle passes. I hate time locked content and the game became a daily chore.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Halo 4's MP alone should immediately negate any redeeming qualities Halo 4/5 had.

Halo is a game founded on MP. Sure, there's a great single player story in there, but its bread and butter has always been multiplayer. Halo 4's implementation was a stain on the series.

That's like saying you distrust Guerrilla games because you didn't like Killzone Shadowfall. Even with the existence of the superb Horizon Zero Dawn

Illogical.

Deleted member 4260

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really hoping we see gameplay soon. I wanna be optimistic because I think 343 has the potential to make a great Halo game. Hopefully they learn from the mistakes of their previous games (and previous Halo games in general).

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I would say decreased? The thing is, I would need to be sold on a new Halo. I purchased the first two games and always thought they were on the good side of fine. In order to get me to buy the new one they need to actively convince me this is going to be a great game.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017

Halo isn't founded on SP or MP.

Some people, like myself, love the lore. If you love MP, then H5 should be a high mark.

... And that highmark came from 343i :)

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
I guess I would say decreased? The thing is, I would need to be sold on a new Halo. I purchased the first two games and always thought they were on the good side of fine. In order to get me to buy the new one they need to actively convince me this is going to be a great game.

Thank goodness that it is day one on Gamepass. The cost of entry is rather low.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018

The first game had bad multiplayer so that negates the second one having great multiplayer? How's that logic work?

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020

I mean, people like you are basically what these kinds of E3-style blowouts are for, right? Haha. To sell you on the game being great, and something you need to play.

They haven't done that yet, but they also haven't really tried to yet.

The effort to sell fence-sitters on Halo Infinite probably starts in June, and then ramps up from there.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
I'm fine with it. I do like the clean art direction they've shown this far. We'll be seeing something soon enough.

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Halo isn't founded on SP or MP.

Some people, like myself, love the lore. If you love MP, then H5 should be a high mark.

... And that highmark came from 343i :)
A true Halo game should have memorable SP and MP, along with innovative features for social/collaboration.

It happened with CE, 2, 3, ODST and Reach.

But it only happened partially with 4 (great SP, disappointing MP) and 5 (disappointing SP, great MP).

Hopefully 343i actually learned from their mistakes and could now finally deliver the next-gen "Complete Halo Package" hardcore fans are waiting since Reach, also thanks to and helped by their totally brand new engine, and no hardware limitations this time.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Decreased. If we at least had a single gameplay trailer and a date, I'd be in. But we effectively know nothing so I don't have much to be hype for. I know it exists