• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What say you? HOF leaker?

• Yay

Votes: 677 59.6%
  • Nay

Votes: 459 40.4%

• Total voters

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Wont you all think of the poor marketing departments? /s

Seriously, the hand wringing going on in here is absolutely absurd.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
No. Revealing what will be in a show a day before serves literally no purpose. We already know the show is happening, we're about to watch it. It's lame and actually can ruin some nice surprises.

A real good leaker reveals things that are far out, things we know nothing about. Or they actually leak what presentation is happening and when. This is valuable. Telling us the content of an announced presentation isn't worth shit.

NoobSauceG7

Feb 7, 2022
He hasn't got anything wrong, and probably won't. I always remember CBOAT as the most prolific leaker, but iirc, I don't remember their record being 100% like The Snitch, granted, The Snitch has only been around for a few weeks.

tok9

Prophet of Truth
Nov 2, 2017
I'd prefer if we didn't have these leaks, in particular when it's a day or two in advance.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
I like the insiders that hint at things less obviously than how Snitch does things. Gives of sense of mystery to it. But Snitch does things way too obvious, like Hollow Knight with green(Xbox) color, Zack's scene with multiple of colors(all platforms), etc. All right before the videos are made public. It does definitely feel like they see the videos before hand doesn't matter what studio, so its definitely someone at Youtube or group of leakers hiding behind a single alias.

Last edited:

Kcoe27400

Mar 14, 2018
He hasn't got anything wrong, and probably won't. I always remember CBOAT as the most prolific leaker, but iirc, I don't remember their record being 100% like The Snitch, granted, The Snitch has only been around for a few weeks.
They wont get anything wrong because they only leak stuff a day early because they can see the youtube videos early. They will get caught and disappear soon this exact same style of leaker has happened before they all get caught.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
He was a mod at the old place, he would know.
Other prominent "mods at the old place" have spilled the beans already. lol

edit: Although TBH both things are true IIRC... CBOAT was a real person... mods then used that account to post other leaks after something happened with the real CBOAT.

Although I have the memory of a goldfish these days so don't quote me on that.

Lirose

May 30, 2018
Leaking stuff 24-48 hours before the official announcement is not at all impressive. They're just using their job access to clout chase.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
They're certainly less annoying than the clout chasers like Grubb, Henderson, Corden etc.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Was CBOAT the person that leaked Microsoft's line up and plans for the next two years? If it was they got be the all timer in this hall of fame

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, because these are the lame type of leaks where you just spoil something a day before a showcase. I also assume it was someone who had access to the SGF stuff so It wouldn't surprise me if they don't have any more new stuff after this summer.

Much prefer someone like Jeff Grubb who actually moderates what he makes public.

Kcoe27400

Mar 14, 2018
They're certainly less annoying than the clout chasers like Grubb, Henderson, Corden etc.
Grubb had the Kojima xbox story over a year ago alongside countless of other correct stories months and months in advance. Go ahead and explain how people like him are clout chasing. One of them does work by actually talking with developers the other works at YouTube and watches videos 1 day before the public one of them is clout chasing and its not the one you think.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
Please don't apply auteur culture to leakers

It's bad enough when it's applied to actual auteurs

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
I'd say yes.

Nintendo Direct is going to be his biggest trial if he wants to be the wildest legend breathing around here.

Apr 7, 2018
Quartermann did get some stuff right back in the day, but I think a lot of that was they looked at patents filed like when they mentioned metroid dread and chrono break.

We'd also get crazy stuff like Capcom VS. Dragon Ball where it was totally made up. Still waiting on that one lol

Oct 26, 2017
I don't get the fuss for leakers, is all. It sucks for marketing teams to have their efforts lose its thunder, and usually sharing bad/beta off-cam footage isn't especially enticing. And people act like kids for sh*t that can never be totally variable till the day of. It can be fun, in a "spoil the surprise" kinda way because people have 0 patience for stuff, but I literally don't care about them or why they're so coveted.

I've never been a fan of speculation even either, I feel leaks basically fall largely into that.
Agreed with all of this.

What surprises me is that we've even had threads before of people posting how leaking affects them directly, and a lot of people still don't seem to care.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Nvidia is still the GOAT.

Snitch is accurate, but his predictions are too close to actual reveals, so that doesn't impress me at all.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle

It's their job to garner attention... that's not cloud chasing, it's just.. work.

The_snitch is doing the "anonymous cloud chasing" thing.. they tweeted how happy they were for all the attention lol HIGH ON LIFE RIGHT NOW

(not that you can't find Grubb/Henderson/Corden annoying.. I do too at times.. but it still is their job lol)

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Ntkrnl leaked Microsoft's whole 2014 and beyond. Multiple games including Scalebound, the white Xbox SKU, even down to the initial plan of having a digital only SKU that wouldn't materialize for another 5 years.

Cth

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Anyone remember Kleegamefan? Did they ever show back up as promised to answer/eat crow?

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
It's their job to garner attention... that's not cloud chasing, it's just.. work.

The_snitch is doing the "anonymous cloud chasing" thing.. they tweeted how happy they were for all the attention lol HIGH ON LIFE RIGHT NOW

(not that you can't find Grubb/Henderson/Corden annoying.. I do too at times.. but it still is their job lol)

"High on Life" was the name of that weird Rick & Morty game from the Xbox show iirc

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't this the exact same thing we had with a leaker last year? Who was just able to access youtube videos a day before? If I remember correctly it was Nintendo who ended up shutting that down - will be interesting if the Snitch suffers the same fate and ends up in the Nintendo ninja'd graveyard - guess we'll see later on this month

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
The Snitch is barely even Tom Henderson level, let alone someone like Jeff Grubb, Navtra, or Jason when he used to leak stuff. Plus, the top spot has already been taken for this generation.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017

I don't know how anyone thinks this. It's Grubb and Henderson's job to do stuff like that. If anyone's a clout chaser, it's someone posting from an anonymous Twitter account hoping for people to notice him.

cableboy

Jul 15, 2019
The salt over leaks is so bizarre to me, it's free marketing and in this case the leaks only occur days before the official reveal. Same kind of logic as thinking pirated copies equal lost sales...