rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Mmm no, thats not what I said, and I'm not going to take your strawman bait.

I responded to a post where someone definitively said "He won't change" — lol how could someone possibly know that? It illustrates how so far up people's own asses are on the internet. He may or he may not. The kid made some dumb mistakes and hopefully it changes his course as an adult.
Again, until he proves otherwise, the victims of racism, Black people and Jews in this case for just existing, can assume he will never change until he proves otherwise.

Most racists don't change. Why do you think it matters that some don't think he will change? Apparently some do or you wouldn't be taking issue with it, so he has some people in his corner to encourage some change if he needs or wants it.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
I totally get that people are dumb and even racist and can change and grow, but there are plenty of people who just arent dumb and racist and being able to grow and change doesnt mean you get to go to harvard.

Your dumb racist ass paid the price by not getting to go to Harvard. Own your dumb bullshit, grow and change and go somewhere else.

Doran

Jun 9, 2018
Harvard has a responsibility to protect their students from flagrant racists.

If there's a moderate likelihood this kid is a flagrant racist (which is the case), it would endanger other students to share a classroom with him.

For sure, not only the responsibility but the right to refuse anyone I believe under these circumstances.

"Harvard reserves the right to withdraw an offer of admission under various conditions," Fitzsimmons wrote to Kashuv, "including 'if you engage or have engaged in behavior that brings into question your honesty, maturity, or moral character,'"

I definitely don't think he has the right to go to any school and 2 years isn't long enough to prove he has changed.

I just don't want to condemn the guy for life at 18-19, see if he uses this as fuel for a platform or if he actually does change as a person in the coming years.

Hindsight apologies cause you got caught don't mean squat.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
For sure, not only the responsibility but the right to refuse anyone I believe under these circumstances.

"Harvard reserves the right to withdraw an offer of admission under various conditions," Fitzsimmons wrote to Kashuv, "including 'if you engage or have engaged in behavior that brings into question your honesty, maturity, or moral character,'"

I definitely don't think he has the right to go to any school and 2 years isn't long enough to prove he has changed.

I just don't want to condemn the guy for life at 18-19, see if he uses this as fuel for a platform or if he actually does change as a person in the coming years.

Hindsight apologies don't mean squat.
The good news is, he's White and from a wealthy family, and he already has connections, including a no doubt sympathetic Trump administration. Dude will be fine. These racists teens always seem to be.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
"This legal adult is just a kid so let's defend him so he can continue on the path of making actual kids lives a living hell just because they're brown"

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
I might have felt some sympathy for him, but his thread ruined any that I could muster for him.

Ignore the attention seeking he is doing. Or the fact even in his written correspondences he attempted to trivialize his actions and play the sympathy card to marginalize any prior actions. He seriously then stomped around and called Harvard racist as a defense?

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Even people who aren't half as invested in far-right ideology as he is haven't made a complete 180 that easily, so I don't know what kind of miracles people are expecting when his trajectory for the near future is pretty clear.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Even people who aren't half as invested in far-right ideology as he is haven't made a complete 180 that easily, so I don't know what kind of miracles people are expecting when his trajectory for the near future is pretty clear.
It's also weird people are trying to say his only racist actions are from when he was 16 and clearly he's grown since then while conveniently ignoring he's part of TP USA and buddied up with Trump. Of course Harvard can't point to those examples as reasons for rejecting him but everyone else can and should point out that he's still a flagrant racist.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017

If there's a moderate likelihood this kid is a flagrant racist (which is the case), it would endanger other students to share a classroom with him.

I agree. And since Harvard has like an infinite pool of "perfect" applicants, it makes total sense for them to toss his slot to someone better. If you want to go to the best school, you have to be and behave your best, and this kid clearly didn't.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Oh look at what just popped up

Screenshot_20190617-160000_Instagram.jpg

Oct 28, 2017

Not to drag this off-topic, but this is quite reminiscent of the situation my university was in last year (and still is, I guess, since the individual in question still studies here):

The LSE quite literally accepted the face of the Charlottesville rally as a postgraduate student. It was a matter of significant debate among staff and students. Notably, the post-colonialist theorists came out strongly in favour of the guy being allowed to stay on as a student - which is an unexpected development.

In some ways, the LSE situation is more egregious than Harvard simply because it harbours large numbers of international students, particularly PoC and Muslim students - including large numbers from Syria, South-East Asia and Africa. The issues really came down to the following points:

a) The LSE, much like Harvard, is (historically-speaking) guilty of both accepting students and funding from less-than-reputable sources. In the LSE's case, it famously accepted Muammar Gaddafi's son and large amounts of money from the regime.
b) The simple question of whether education should be barred from individuals based purely on political beliefs and the attendant question of whether tertiary education, particularly at an elite institution, is a right or a privilege.
c) The question of the benefit of a dissenting opinion in a university space. I can't speak for Harvard but LSE is, I would say - quite left leaning overall, despite its reputation for producing staunch capitalists. Many of its IR, pol sci and anthopology students tend to adhere closely to post-colonialist, queer and feminist viewpoints. Several ostensibly post-colonial academics made the argument that the best way of teaching students to confront fascism is to place them in a space where they are forced to confront it directly.

TheHolyTurnip

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Tulsa, OK
It's almost like people are capable of making stupid mistakes in their life.
Is this really the way we want the world to be run? Is anyone actually proud of everything they've ever said as a teenager?

Doran

Jun 9, 2018
The good news is, he's White and from a wealthy family, and he already has connections, including a no doubt sympathetic Trump administration. Dude will be fine. These racists teens always seem to be.

Yeah it honestly is hard to imagine the growth actually happening when everyone in his circle is telling him hes the victim. The fact that he turned down a full ride at NYU to go to Harvard and is playing the victim card himself screams of a gross sense of entitlement considering his apology only came in hindsight after he was caught. Who knows though, people can change dramatically over time. Cards are stacked against that happening though.

Deleted member 3058

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Not everyone is entitled to attend Harvard. There are other schools this racist can--

For those unfamiliar:

"Kashuv became director of high school outreach of the pro-Trump group Turning Point USA and gave speeches about gun rights, until his resignation in May 2019. Governor-elect of Florida Ron DeSantis, a Republican, included Kashuv on his Transition Advisory Committee on Public Safety.

Following the Stoneman Douglas High School shooting, Michael Gruen, an "influencer marketer", noticed Kashuv's posts on Twitter and approached him offering to help him get his message out. With the help of former White House communications director Anthony Scaramucci, former White House press secretary Sean Spicer, and Daily Wire editor Ben Shapiro, meetings on Capitol Hill were set up for Kashuv. During his visit, Kashuv met with President Trump, Melania Trump, and several other politicians including Speaker of the House Paul Ryan and Senator Orrin Hatch."

Kyle_Kashuv_with_Donald_and_Melania_Trump_2.jpg
Oh, not only is he racist but he's Steve Bannon racist?

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is this really the way we want the world to be run? Is anyone actually proud of everything they've ever said as a teenager?
It's not a "stupid mistake."

It's part of a pattern of racist, right wing extremist behavior and affiliations that he continues to the current day.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was less then 2 years ago. He runs around with Noted racists in the Turning Point USA Organization. He hasn't changed shit

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Try reading the thread before making statements like these.

StarStorm

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
He's pro-gun even after the Parkland shooting? The only thing he regrets is getting caught with his racist slurs. His apology letter reads I'm sorry, but not sorry. Harvard made the right choice.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
This start of the thread is pretty funny seeing people going soft on the kid because they thought he was an activist for gun control, then when they realized he's pro-gun and met with Trump instantly throw him under to the wolves.
"Racists are fine as long as they're on our side" basically.

Deleted member 4614

Oct 25, 2017

It's not an "oopsy daisy" to drop the n-word. It means he hates black people.

Deleted member 907

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For those that don't remember, Turning Point was the group that tried to own the libs by wearing diapers behind baby gates and acting like literal babies on a college campus.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017

It would be pretty sweet if my punishment for being a stupid racist threatening violence as a teenager was not getting into Harvard.

someday

Oct 25, 2017
This start of the thread is pretty funny seeing people going soft on the kid because they thought he was an activist for gun control, then when they realized he's pro-gun and met with Trump instantly throw him under to the wolves.
When I first saw the headline I was kind of sad since I assumed it was one of the gun control activists and wanted to see which one. When I realized it was the gun nut, I honestly just felt like that made more sense to me. Not everyone immediately went soft on the kid and ignored the racism (though you're right that too many did); I just waited to post until I knew the situation.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
If only defenders of racist shitbags would use that energy to support causes that actually matter and help people. It must be tiring to constantly live for Olympic-level mental gymnastics in order to point fingers away from those who perpetuate Nazi-esque ideals.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Not to drag this off-topic, but this is quite reminiscent of the situation my university was in last year (and still is, I guess, since the individual in question still studies here):

The LSE quite literally accepted the face of the Charlottesville rally as a postgraduate student. It was a matter of significant debate among staff and students. Notably, the post-colonialist theorists came out strongly in favour of the guy being allowed to stay on as a student - which is an unexpected development.

In some ways, the LSE situation is more egregious than Harvard simply because it harbours large numbers of international students, particularly PoC and Muslim students - including large numbers from Syria, South-East Asia and Africa. The issues really came down to the following points:

a) The LSE, much like Harvard, is (historically-speaking) guilty of both accepting students and funding from less-than-reputable sources. In the LSE's case, it famously accepted Muammar Gaddafi's son and large amounts of money from the regime.
b) The simple question of whether education should be barred from individuals based purely on political beliefs and the attendant question of whether tertiary education, particularly at an elite institution, is a right or a privilege.
c) The question of the benefit of a dissenting opinion in a university space. I can't speak for Harvard but LSE is, I would say - quite left leaning overall, despite its reputation for producing staunch capitalists. Many of its IR, pol sci and anthopology students tend to adhere closely to post-colonialist, queer and feminist viewpoints. Several ostensibly post-colonial academics made the argument that the best way of teaching students to confront fascism is to place them in a space where they are forced to confront it directly.
What opinion is *puts on reading glasses* "You will not replace us", Nigger NIgger Nigger Nigger Nigger, I am getting good at typing Nigger", or "Kill jews" serving as a counterpoint to?

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
He was director of high school outreach for Turning Point USA until last month.
So yeah, maybe he'll grow out of it, but let's not pretend he isn't a Nazi shithead.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you look up the address from the Harvard letters, it doesn't look like his family is wealthy at all. They live in a modest house that is like half a block from a six lane highway.

The notion that this guy is now "condemned for life" is still utterly ridiculous though.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On the one hand, hah.

On the other hand, spare me the hand wringing he's going to be making money hand over fist through using this as the catalyst for his grift to turn into whatever weird talking head the Koch brothers pay him to be.

He'll be raking in 6 figures from jump.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you look up the address from the Harvard letters, it doesn't look like his family is wealthy at all. They live in a modest house that is like half a block from a six lane highway.

The notion that this guy is now "condemned for life" is still utterly ridiculous though.
He'll literally have a job for the rest of his life just based off the aggrievement from this event. Some Billionaire will pay him to seem "reasonable" about how 'THE LEFT THREW ME AWAY' (lol at the notion that Harvard of all places is any kind of moral barometer) for the next decade.

BlkSquirtle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017

He's 18 now...he's still a damn teenager. Yes. He can be judged by it. This is fucking stupid, stop snitching on yourself.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Harvard is 💩 as an elite oligarchic institution but this Kushev kid sounds borderline alt right and just cashing in on being in Parkland when the shooting happened. He hasn't changed, he just switched his grift but he sounds like a Ben Shapiro in the making.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I click this thread and I'm thinking "well that's not good, maybe he's just a dumb kid and he's just been surrounded by a lot of shock humour and hasn't reflected on it", then I scroll down a little bit and hello

Oct 28, 2017
What opinion is *puts on reading glasses* "You will not replace us", Nigger NIgger Nigger Nigger Nigger, I am getting good at typing Nigger", or "Kill jews" serving as a counterpoint to?

Arguably, in the present case, we would be referring to his pro-gun views and presumably the racist views associated with Turning Point USA.

To be clear, I am not advocating that he should be given a place. I am simply pointing out this is far from the first incidence of this dilemma since the inauguration of Trump's America and that we have to come up with a better argument than 'he is a shitbag, ergo he should not be accepted into a higher education institution by default'.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017

Let's be real, if I were 16 and trying to go to a big school, stuff like social media behavior could influence that. I've told my kid since he was old enough to understand not to post dumb shit to the web. I'm sure there were plenty of applicants without the baggage and he can still apply elsewhere.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Harvard is 💩 as an elite oligarchic institution but this Kushev kid sounds borderline alt right and just cashing in on being in Parkland when the shooteing happened. He hasn't changed, he just switched his grift but he sounds like a future Ben Shapiro.
He'll mysteriously end up "funding" a high level production studio with a full staff "by himself" or "with your help".

Lets be honest if he was rich he probably still gets in lol.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Arguably, in the present case, we would be referring to his pro-gun views and presumably the racist views associated with Turning Point USA.

To be clear, I am not advocating that he should be given a place. I am simply pointing out this is far from the first incidence of this dilemma since the inauguration of Trump's America and that we have to come up with a better argument than 'he is a shitbag, ergo he should not be accepted into a higher education institution by default'.
Why can't shitbags live with the conquences of their actions?

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
oh hey they're a wikipedia entry on this kid

He has advocated for schools to eliminate gun-free zones, and for policies allowing teachers and school staff to be armed.[18] He does not believe a ban on assault weapons or high-capacity magazines would eliminate mass shootings, focusing instead on failures by "the cowards of Broward", referring to the Broward County Sheriff's Office deputy who did not go inside the school while the shooting was occurring.

christ almighty

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Huh?

I'm not really following here. Are you arguing that since we have a white nationalist as a president that we should perform mental gymnastics to rationalize racist, right wing extremist behavior?

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Dude's been doing everything he possibly can to be the next conservative wunderkind, this is honestly the best thing that could happen to him in his quest to become America's Number One Grifter.

His entire Harvard run would have been filled with being as much of a chode as humanly possible in order to get expelled and do the whole 'muh free speech' routine.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Just one, but he was a good guy. Smart, too, as one would hope.

Lucky. I've had numerous Harvard grad coworkers and they were universally uncreative, lazy, and riding on the prestige of having gone to Harvard as their primary occupational advantage. One dude would seriously mention it daily, often as a pickup line, and he was in his mid-thirties. I'm sure there are plenty of smart, phenomenal Harvard grads out there but I have yet to encounter one in the workplace.