• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

wisdom0wl

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Oh please, her scores, gpa and class rank was barely low end UT quality. She probably wouldn't have made it in regardless of her race.

The Asian Americans here are scoring better than the majority of the people that got in.
Didnt Fisher have like a 3.5? Lol what?, she should've done more.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
And, as always, Asians living in poverty get fucked over because, as this thread shows, so many people are invested in the idea that Asians are all rich, violin-playing model students who lack souls.
Nope. A lot of schools recognize the differences in Asian populations.

The individual application is the responsibility of the applicant to covey any grit and struggle that they had to overcome for their given situation.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And, as always, Asians living in poverty get fucked over because, as this thread shows, so many people are invested in the idea that Asians are all rich, violin-playing model students who lack souls.
Which is why college admissions biggest blind spot is socioeconomic.

An upper class Afro-Caribbean immigrant counts the same for reporting diversity at elite law schools as working class African American student from Memphis.

I understand the cause here and am sympathetic but these soft admission caps hurt socioeconomic affirmative action for less wealthy Asian students, in addition to less wealthy everyone else.

ccbfan

Oct 25, 2017

Don't forget not well rounded. We just can't seem to get what it means to be well round. Is there a handbook out there with the guidelines or is it some hidden attribute that only Harvard office workers that never met us can decide.

ABIC

Banned
Nov 19, 2017
I think if you look at the data on a per admission officer basis, you'll likely see that the race of the admission officer has a very strong effect on how he or she grades a student.

D i Z

Oct 25, 2017
Where X marks the spot.
It's not the Asian Americans responsibility to pay for the reparations against the systematic racism white people created to hold back the black community.

We are minorities too and most of us aren't asking for college to judge us on the same level as blacks and Hispanic. We understand why affirmative action is needed to rise the community against the hundreds of years of racism.

We just hate the fact that we're also handicapped against white people.

That's a lot of heat. I have to wonder who it is you're the most upset at in this situation.

If the onus is on the individual, then why take race into account?

hmmmmmm.

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nope. A lot of schools recognize the differences in Asian populations.

The individual application is the responsibility of the applicant to covey any grit and struggle that they had to overcome for their given situation.

Or so the admissions committee "says".

Medical school admissions is such a rat race of people who min-max the volunteer and extracurricular points. So many people who I know who got in came from wealthy families so they had time to go do all those frivolous things.

Which is why college admissions biggest blind spot is socioeconomic.

An upper class Afro-Caribbean immigrant counts the same for reporting diversity at elite law schools as working class African American student from Memphis.

I understand the cause here and am sympathetic but these soft admission caps hurt socioeconomic affirmative action for less wealthy Asian students, in addition to less wealthy everyone else.

Yep, this is an issue that definitely gets underlooked and contributes to "stickiness at the ends" (the idea that the wealthy remain wealthy and the poor remain poor).

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
It's not the Asian Americans responsibility to pay for the reparations against the systematic racism white people created to hold back the black community.

We are minorities too and most of us aren't asking for college to judge us on the same level as blacks and Hispanic. We understand why affirmative action is needed to rise the community against the hundreds of years of racism.

We just hate the fact that we're also handicapped against white people.

It's not, but shouldn't fight to push another group down.

Asian-Americans have the advantage of being over-prepared enough to apply to maybe all top 10 universities of their choice. You look at a hispanic/black student, they probably only apply to a few of their top priority colleges and a ton of backup colleges. Asian-american doesn't get into Standford?, they'll likely get into UCLA, Berkeley, or Irvine. They'll have a backup choice that will still be a top university. While the hispanic/black students only get into one of those if incredibly lucky. From what I've seen personally, Hispanics/Blacks are probably less likely to apply to a top university, and more likely to apply to one of the other "lesser" UCs or CSUs in California.

Let's not forget Hispanics/Blacks represent 30% of the population in the US, while Asian-Americans only represent 5% of the total population. Now look at poverty ratesby race (page 13), 40% of Hispanics/Blacks are in poverty, while only 11% of Asians are. And look at the post above, Asian-Americans represent up to 25% or higher of certain university populations. How are they losing? Now let's look at applications versus admission by race, more or the same number of Hispanics/Blacks are getting rejected from the same schools than Asian-Americans.

My point, let's not put people down, so that "our" team can climb higher. Why not elevate everything around us equally. If Asian-Americans are that well prepared, they're not skipping college if they don't get into Standford, they'll keep going strong no matter where they go. Where most Hispanics/Blacks are getting admitted into "lesser" UCs, and that's is likely their only choice.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017

First, I am Iranian so I was considered white or Asian for admissions purposes (they didn't have a middle eastern option).

And personally, I don't think somebody who focuses on quantifiable factors like test scores and grades is likely to be leadership material. Among the Iranian and East Asian students I knew, most just had the goal of being a pharmacist or software engineer. Now not all of us were like that but I think it's an issue of cultures that don't encourage risk and trying new things leading to teenagers that are afraid to explore new options.

This is all anecdotal of course. It might be better if there was some survey that showed what percent of different races try to go into entrepreneurial/creative fields.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
That's a lot of heat. I have to wonder who it is you're the most upset at in this situation.

hmmmmmm.

What do you want to say?

When it comes to the affirmative action argument, I'm usually on the side against the people trying to tear it down. But what I find laughable about this thread is how easily people buy into the idea that Asians don't struggle.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
If the onus is on the individual, then why take race into account?

In the United States, race is important and has real world implications and indications of access. It's perforctly ok to take it into account as part of the overall process. Although of course it should never be the sole factor in accepting or denying someone.

Or so the admissions committee "says".

Medical school admissions is such a rat race of people who min-max the volunteer and extracurricular points. So many people who I know who got in came from wealthy families so they had time to go do all those frivolous things.
Not sure what you mean? On the undergraduate side, it is what it is. That's what I look for and what we are asked to highly consider. Yeah I'll consider higher someone who didn't know where their next meal was coming from yet still performed academically well or even a little "worse" versus someone who had their plan laid out for them with all the resources in the world. Notice there wasn't nothing about preference for any race there.

Grad/professional school is a different beast and yeah tons of colleges are obsessed with pure metrics like GPA and test scores. I can't explain that as I don't work in that area.

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
In the United States, race is important and has real world implications and indications of access. It's perforctly ok to take it into account as part of the overall process. Although of course it should never be the sole factor in accepting or denying someone.

Not sure what you mean? On the undergraduate side, it is what it is. That's what I look for and what we are asked to highly consider. Yeah I'll consider higher someone who didn't know where their next meal was coming from yet still performed academically well or even a little "worse" versus someone who had their plan laid out for them with all the resources in the world. Notice there wasn't nothing about preference for any race there.

Grad/professional school is a different beast and yeah tons of colleges are obsessed with pure metrics like GPA and test scores. I can't explain that as I don't work in that area.

Working pizza delivery to put food on the table is never going to look as sexy as (unpaid) research in so-and-so big shot's lab.

ccbfan

Oct 25, 2017

Well don't be, say what you imply. Don't need to be passive aggressive.

Personally I'd love to hear why saying Asian Americans should not be paying for the sins of systematic racism set up by the white majority is racist.

Last edited:

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Working pizza delivery to put food on the table is never going to look as sexy as (unpaid) research in so-and-so big shot's lab.
That's your opinion. Because as an admissions officer, that's the stuff I look for. Both are impressive and both are important. And again it depends on the student's ability to convey the reasoning and importance with those activities.

But if someone also obsesses over the Ivy League and assumes they're the end all be all to elite jobs in certain fields, then that's also an unfortunate flaw and opportunity missed.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA

From what I saw personally (working with teams in undergraduate engineering program), Asians from a poor background were more likely to work harder and be more serious about their study. I would love to assume, that is something admissions takes into consideration. But I'm not 100% sure. In my experience I saw an equal 50-50 mix in income bracket from the people I personally worked with.

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's your opinion. Because as an admissions officer, that's the stuff I look for. Both are impressive and both are important. And again it depends on the student's ability to convey the reasoning and importance with those activities.

But if someone also obsesses over the Ivy League and assumes they're the end all be all to elite jobs in certain fields, then that's also an unfortunate flaw and opportunity missed.

Chances are, candidates are unlikely to even put this stuff on their resume. Precisely because the perception exists, even if adcoms are taught to not bias against it. One of my friends was a single dad and didn't think it was anything special to put parenting on his application to professional school. I doubt students at less-affluent schools are getting the right coaching and guidance from school counselors to catch this sort of stuff. The counselors are probably happy enough if they get into community college.

Edit: Also, I agree with you that Ivys are not the be all end all. But they have unquestionably powerful effect on moving people up the income ladder. There's an entire exam prep industry that materialized to get students in the prestigious Stuyvesant High School in New York City - https://www.theatlantic.com/educati...igh-schools-stuyvesant-brooklyn-bronx/562772/.

People care because it matters. An important excerpt I'm quoting from the article:

The poorer students became middle or upper-middle class, and the middle-class students often did better than their parents ... In short, these specialized schools are transformative, and parents and kids know it.

Last edited:

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Chances are, candidates are unlikely to even put this stuff on their resume. Precisely because the perception exists, even if adcoms are taught to not bias against it. One of my friends was a single dad and didn't think it was anything special to put parenting on his application to professional school. I doubt students at less-affluent schools are getting the right coaching and guidance from school counselors to catch this sort of stuff. The counselors are probably happy enough if they get into community college.
And you would be exactly right. This is why we account for this stuff in this process. I look at the school itself and partially judge a student on what's available at their particular school/environment. It's complicated. It's impossible to have a level playing field because education inherently is highly segregated and very different across the board.

D i Z

Oct 25, 2017
Where X marks the spot.
Well don't be, say what you imply. Don't need to be passive aggressive.

Personally I'd love to hear why saying Asian Americans should not be paying for the sins of systematic racism set up by the white majority is racist.

There was nothing passive aggressive about it. The question was as clear as day light. From your mini rant, exactly who are you upset at for this situation?
Me being polite was me not cussing. It's that simple.

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Shrug. Let the free market dictate these things.

Letting the free market dictate things is how you get multiple recessions/depressions and the most egregious wealth inequality ever observed in the states.

Free market economics only works if people aren't irrationally greedy and malicious.

hurlex

Oct 25, 2017
I must be clearly uninformed because I thought affirmative action meant schools should/could make sure their student population consistent with the overall population of the US. Is that not true?

ccbfan

Oct 25, 2017
There was nothing passive aggressive about it. The question was as clear as day light. From your mini rant, exactly who are you upset at for this situation?

Maybe I misunderstood you then.

There's no who I'm mad at, im mad at the situation itself. I'm mad at the fact that my children will be place in a situation where it's legally encouraged to be unfair. I'm mad at the fact that when we complain about it people like to tell us to stfu and sit in your corner. I'm mad that Asian Americans are constantly told even by progressives like this forum how we should feel about racism.

D i Z

Oct 25, 2017
Where X marks the spot.
Maybe I misunderstood you then.

There's no who I'm mad at, im mad at the situation itself. I'm mad at the fact that my children will be place in a situation where it's legally encouraged to be unfair. I'm mad at the fact that when we complain about it people like to tell us to stfu and sit in your corner. I'm mad that Asian Americans are constantly told even by progressives like this forum how we should feel about racism.

So we're on the same page. Then I can ask you why you should feel some way about being several degrees apart from other minorities in this dilemma?

Cocaloch

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Where the Fenians Sleep
Shrug. Let the free market dictate these things.

What does the academy have to do with the free market?

I'm mad at the fact that when we complain about it people like to tell us to stfu and sit in your corner. I'm mad that Asian Americans are constantly told even by progressives like this forum how we should feel about racism.

I can't say I'm mad, but I certainty think it's interesting how quick people are to use certain arguments as soon as it seems to be of immediate use to them.

Last edited:

Obvious

Banned
Apr 21, 2018
So Harvard is selectively excluding students based on race by duking the stats of minority students due to concerns that the campus might become "too Asian", and it's being dismissed by a lot of (non-asian) people here. If it was black students being rejected because Harvard felt they were becoming overrepresented would you feel the same way?

Cocaloch

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Where the Fenians Sleep
So Harvard is selectively excluding students based on race by duking the stats of minority students due to concerns that the campus might become "too Asian", and it's being dismissed by a lot of (non-asian) people here. If it was black students being rejected because Harvard felt they were becoming overrepresented would you feel the same way?

How does something look in context if we remove the context? These are the same systems stopping elite schools from being lily white with a few East Asians. You can't turn this around and act like it's the opposite.

Last edited:

D i Z

Oct 25, 2017
Where X marks the spot.

What's nuts to me is that we keep bring this to black peoples doorsteps. And exactly who of this "lot of" that is here dismissing any of this that you guys keep talking about? So far it's been a situation of lets just chop it up and see what we come up with.

Last edited:

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It's not, but shouldn't fight to push another group down.
Therefore, just go ahead and let others push you down, right?

My point, let's not put people down, so that "our" team can climb higher. Why not elevate everything around us equally. If Asian-Americans are that well prepared, they're not skipping college if they don't get into Standford, they'll keep going strong no matter where they go. Where most Hispanics/Blacks are getting admitted into "lesser" UCs, and that's is likely their only choice.
Your "point" is nonsense and self-contradictory. You have already concluded that what happened is no problem and are backwards rationalizing it.

Guys, this thread isn't even about affirmative action. If you want to set entry quotas for diversity, go ahead. But you don't see how it's fucked up that instead of doing that, they just went ahead and used racist stereotyping to bar admission to one specific, targeted demographic? Come on.

Oct 25, 2017
Could also be that test scores are not really good indicators of college success. Class performances is much better, though.

I mean you can keep moving the goalposts all you want. These students have extra curricular, grades, all of that. A good gpa is class performance....

The fact is other students can't compete and these students are being punished for being smarter.

Obvious

Banned
Apr 21, 2018
How does something look in context if we remove the context? These are the same systems stopping elite schools from being lily white with a few East Asians. You can't turn this around and act like it's the opposite.

It is the opposite. The system is preserving a lily white majority. Admissions has their thumb on the scale because without it, Asian students would perhaps over time replace Caucasian students as the majority. As best, it's due to blind tribalism. At worst, it's due to an institutional xenophobic fear of an Asian future, or the feeling that white students are owed more spots.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Jesus this thread. Suggesting it's okay for Asian Americans to take the L for the good of the 'minority' team is ridiculous. Don't be mad you didn't get into Ivy League (for bogus made up 'personality tests), you will Still get into a state college!

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why not just have a quota for minority students they hand pick, and then judge the rest exclusively by test scores?

ebs

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Where are all these phantom idiot brown folks that are taking spots from more deserving people? Surely as often as this come up people can point to some concrete proof that happening. Other than racism, I mean
What a perfectly reasonable response to an article shedding light on discrimination against a racial minority.

Cocaloch

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Where the Fenians Sleep
It is the opposite. The system is preserving a lily white majority. Admissions has their thumb on the scale because without it, Asian students would perhaps over time replace Caucasian students as the majority. As best, it's due to blind tribalism. At worst, it's due to an institutional xenophobic fear of an Asian future, or the feeling that white students are owed more spots.

As fun as this assertion is you've again simply stripped it of its context by focusing on a white-asian dynamic instead placing it in the broader context of race dynamics in general in America. As long as race is a meaningful unit of analysis in this country such a system will be necessary. If anything it needs to be strengthened as African Americans and Latinx students are still very under represented at elite institutions. This is even more obvious when controlling for class and nationality.

There's room for improvement, but I'm seeing calls for ending it, not making it better.

Last edited:

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus fucking christ the blatant racism in this thread against Asian Americans is mind-boggling. It is also shocking that moderation is letting it go without a peep.

Highly qualified members of a minority group are being systematically rejected from prestigious schools because the schools don't want too many of them on their campus. Full stop. If you are okay with this you are okay with racism.

Jun 2, 2018
Also, the article states:

What WOULD be nice would be totally blind admissions in terms of race, and use "affirmative action" that looks at not just socioeconomic status of the family, but also geographical position/family history. Someone coming from the "hood"... be it black, brown, yellow, or white, who went to poorly funded schools, but still have excellent grades and test scores. People who are the first in their families to go to college. Pure socioeconomic status isn't always a good indicator because there's way more issues... like the kind of environment you grew up in. In these cases, personal statements that talk about the kind of particular racism you experienced and the barriers you've overcome can be an indication of your race, but would still paint an accurate picture of the kinds of hardship you faced.

If the admissions teams actually took the time to review these personal facts (as in the geographical position/family history) then I'd expect there to be a dramatic increase in overall minority admissions.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
As fun as this assertion is you've again simply stripped it of its context by focusing on a white-asian dynamic instead placing it in the broader context of race dynamics in general in America. As long as race is a meaningful unit of analysis in this country such a system will be necessary. If anything it needs to be strengthened as African Americans and Latinex students are still very under represented at elite institutions. This is even more obvious when controlling for class and nationality.

There's room for improvement, but I'm seeing calls for ending it, not making it better.
And Asian-American students should relinquish the most spots and face harsher entry criteria because...

Cocaloch

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Where the Fenians Sleep
And Asian-American students should relinquish the most spots and face harsher entry criteria because...

Do they? It's not particularly relevant to my point, that we need another paradigm than mindlesss "metiocracy," but I'm fairly sure in absolute terms white people would be the ones giving up the most spots. More important than choosing the metric most useful to your immediate argument is recognizing the principle at play here with taking race to be a meaningful unit of analysis for college admission. You don't get it both ways, it either is or it isn't, and we all know we looses if it isn't. You're of course free to think that it isn't, but that's fairly foolish from a broader sociological understanding and puts you in some bad company.

College admission, especially at the elite level, needs reform, but I'm not seeing much in this thread that would lead to reforn for the better.

Oct 28, 2017
This is a very complicated subject, and I see no evidence of ill-intent. Trying to create a cohort of Ivy League students who are reflective of real-world demographics, despite socio-economic backgrounds, is incredibly difficult.

Solution:

Increase the size of undergraduate spaces. Extend the campus size and hire more faculty. This would lessen the pressure on admissions.

Cocaloch

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Where the Fenians Sleep
This is a very complicated subject, and I see no evidence of ill-intent. Trying to create a cohort of Ivy League students who are reflective of real-world demographics, despite socio-economic backgrounds, is incredibly difficult.

Solution:

Increase the size of undergraduate spaces. Extend the campus size and hire more faculty. This would lessen the pressure on admissions.

What you're calling pressure on admissions is there by design. It also doesn't address people's fundamental problem here which is mostly about competing visions of fairness.

Oct 28, 2017
Whether its systems like Affirmative Action that seek to increase enrolment regardless of test scores, or systems such as this that attempt to stifle it despite test scores, we are inherently socially engineering based on race. And yet the two systems are contradictory - you are penalising one group while elevating another. Cocaloch was absolutely right to term this debate as one of fairness.