• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jan 10, 2018
I think the basic gist is that, instead of Pokemon spawning you need to catch, there are weird "Counfoundables" that you need to defeat to send back in time? Or something? To keep magic a secret. But then there are inns and potions and greenhouses and a bunch of other stuff that the tutorial doesn't explain at all...

You run around, do magic in public, to keep magic secret for some reason? Makes total sense.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Uninstalled. This is absolutely ridiculous. Suburban/rural players can play for a few minutes then they're just SOL.

I have two points of interest...6 miles away.

Is it REALLY that hard to implement "If there are no POI within X miles, give X energy per Y distance"? Or have energy randomly pop up in the world like ingredients?

How this company has made this much money but can be this inept is mindblowing to me. It's the same complaints 3 years later except it's WORSE now because you can't hoard energy. I literally have to drive 12 miles, sit there for 2 hours, then play for 10 minutes, and repeat.

Shocked at how shitty Niantic is. I can't believe they lucked into their piles of money.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Uninstalled. This is absolutely ridiculous. Suburban/rural players can play for a few minutes then they're just SOL.

Is it REALLY that hard to implement "If there are no POI within X miles, give X energy per Y distance"? Or have energy randomly pop up in the world like ingredients?

How this company has made this much money but can be this inept is mindblowing to me. It's the same complaints 3 years later except it's WORSE now because you can't hoard energy. I literally have to drive 12 miles, sit there for 2 hours, then play for 10 minutes, and repeat.

Shocked at how shitty Niantic is. I can't believe they lucked into their piles of money.

For what it's worth, the game design of this one seems to have been handled mostly by Warner Brothers.

clay_ghost

Oct 25, 2017

I think this Is like complaining that a mmo have to be online, these AR games are built around cities and attractions so not all places are suitable for its gameplay.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
I think this Is like complaining that a mmo have to be online, these AR games are built around cities and attractions so not all places are suitable for its gameplay.
This is horrible reasoning. I completely understand not being able to do all the social features. I completely understand maybe not enjoying the game in the optimal matter. But I literally cannot play at all. I'm done, unless I invest hours and hours of my time to get 10 minutes of enjoyment out of the game.

It's horseshit, and it's making excuses where there shouldn't be any. Millions of people live in similar situations as I do, and the fix is INCREDIBLY easy. They literally have an item drop system in the game. Make energy one of those items if you don't have a POI within a certain distance. Game fixed, balance not thrown off, everyone is happy.

Hickbilly

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And in a week, the people who spoof (just like in PoGo) will dominate the game.

Also, I beat tested the game and found it to be even more boring than PoGo which was a remarkable feat.

Deleted member 1086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
so you only get energy from the inns? That's lame, at least half of the points of interest that are Pokestops in Pokemon Go are now greenhouses in this game. So that limits what locations you can get energy from, which limits the overall gameplay.

It's not a bad game, kinda cute, but the energy limitation is incredibly crippling to my over all enjoyment of it.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
This is honestly kind of boring. I think Pokemon GO burned me out on this type of game but even then everything there seemed more fun. I love the lore and music but really can't see me playing it very long.

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
Add me!

1580 2795 1670

Did a lap around Epcot today and hit level 8. My girlfriend likes this a lot more than PoGo so far, and I'm enjoying it enough. Definitely curious to see if the co-op actually requires cooperation or not, or if it's fun.

Cth

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Add me!
3217 2060 5639

Never got into Pokemon or Harry Potter but I'm giving it a shot now :)

Aztorian

Jan 3, 2018
Downloaded the APK because the game is not out yet (but it's localized in my language). There are no potterstops, while PoGo has spots here. Maybe because the game is not out here yet?

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
But there's no reason for it.

An MMO only exists if you get lots of people to play at once and the only way to do that is via the internet.

There's literally no reason why these games have to be based around points of interest or cities. They could spawn energy and things to collect/trap at random time/distance intervals, etc. There's no design reason why they HAVE to be like this.

Deleted member 56773

Banned
May 16, 2019
well....i switched off of an unlimited data plan months ago so i'm out. I tried to just use my wireless from my bed and all I got was some phoenix poop or something.

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hah, I just uh... "captured"? Snape!

It looks pretty smoother and plays well so far. My office sits on top of a stop in Pokémon Go, so I imagine I will have one for this as well. I'll just have to spend a little time figuring some stuff out.

Friend code! 3223 1336 9830 I just added everyone who posted their codes here :)

Deleted member 19996

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Do you actually need to keep the app open for the portkey? I didn't play much of Pokemon Go since I don't know if that's how it works.

retrobotjr

Jan 10, 2018
Do you actually need to keep the app open for the portkey? I didn't play much of Pokemon Go since I don't know if that's how it works.
PoGo did eventually add the ability to track your movement in the background but for now HPWU requires the game to be open.

EDIT: About to add everyone who posted their codes. Mine is 4763 7746 1503

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
They're gonna have to rework the energy system for this. It either needs to recover over time like normal energy systems, or you need to be able to get energy from every landmark a la Pokeballs in PoGo.

The game is really fun otherwise, but the energy system will make people drop this in just a few days. I wonder how much input WB had on the monetization systems.

WillRobBanks

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I have no clue wtf I'm doing and likely won't stick with this. I'm an avid Pokémon go player (lvl 37) and can only handle one at a time.

That said, I love the spell mechanics so far. More fun than tossing poke balls. A faster cast seems more important than accuracy, which I appreciate.

It also has more locations than PoGo. My local AT&T store is an Inn, but nothing in PoGo.

I still don't know what any of the items do really, but I'm hatching my first portkey. I like that items can be found on the ground, and that there are wild battles.

I think Harry Potter diehards will really enjoy this game. It's very polished.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how much sway moderators on their subreddit have, but I got a message from a moderator that they're forwarding my suggestion (that you get energy based on the distance you walk if you aren't near an Inn) to Niantic.

retrobotjr

Jan 10, 2018
I don't know how much sway moderators on their subreddit have, but I got a message from a moderator that they're forwarding my suggestion (that you get energy based on the distance you walk if you aren't near an Inn) to Niantic.
I know there's at least one person on the actual game team in some capacity that is on the sub responding to people and reaching out to help in DMs and stuff

Teeny

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Tinkered with it and I like a lot of the mechanics but it's not enough to make me give up playing Pokemon Go (too large a collection, too much time and I guess money at this point invested).

I do hope some of the PvE mechanics, skill trees and other features make their way over. It feels like there are many more things to do day-to-day in this game than in PoGo, which seems stuck in a raid/event cycle with limited research (and special research).

StarErik

Oct 27, 2017
After all the worldwide success of Pokémon Go you would think that the same company would launch everywhere day 1, but no, I guess we'll have to wait again.

CPlus_Gamer

Jun 24, 2018
But there's no reason for it.

An MMO only exists if you get lots of people to play at once and the only way to do that is via the internet.

There's literally no reason why these games have to be based around points of interest or cities. They could spawn energy and things to collect/trap at random time/distance intervals, etc. There's no design reason why they HAVE to be like this.
No design reason but these games are partly made to drive traffic to sponsored locations.

Plumpman

Jan 24, 2018
I am totally with people on the complaints of rural areas. I have nearby cities and my downtown is plenty populated, but back where I live its literally a ghost town. Absolutely zero points of interest, cannot play.

Not to derail, but I've been playing Jurassic World: Alive since launch, and you can play that anywhere, anytime. Their spawn algorithm, while slightly more random, is so much better at populating the world. Plus it has really good PvP.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I'm very interested to see if they stick with this and don't change it. If they do the 72-96 hour drop off of players is going to be monstrous. I got about 2-4 energy per check in so at 75 that means I need to a minimum of 20 stops just to get a full refill. What the hell were they thinking?

I happen to work at a place with 4 inns reachable from a single location, and 2 others within a 50 foot walk of that, but even then, when you're often only getting 2 energy per check-in, it would take forever to refill.

The bigger problem is going to be the cost of increasing vault capacity. A single potion vault space increase (which gives 10 extra slots), costs 200 coins, which is roughly $2-$3, depending on how much gold you're willing to buy. I only played for maybe 20 minutes, and my inventories are already nearly full. Since crafting potions work on a cooldown system, you end up wasting a lot of time waiting for potions to finish (and a lot of inventory space and pickups waiting for the right ingredients to actually make stuff. For having over 150 ingredient items, I find it odd that after making the tutorial potion, I still don't have enough of the right kinds to make even a single potion!)

Ingress had a pretty decent monetization scheme, and Pokemon Go was slightly worse (but not too terrible as long as you had access to enough Pokestops). This game is going to be practically unplayable without both access to a large number of inns and a willingness to spend a lot of cash.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
They need to fix the energy issue, like now. Not "oh in a couple weeks". Now. Today.

They're pumping out ads everywhere. So many people try mobile games and drop them within hours if the game isn't enjoyable or they feel limited, and they don't come back for QoL changes. There is too much competition for this to be a "wait and see" thing.

I'm so passionate about this because my wife and I go on walks every day and she is a HUGE Potterhead. This could be a fun game my non-gamer wife and I play together. But as it stands, it's impossible.

arimanius

Oct 27, 2017
So just got 6 and can choose a profession. Everything I've read said choose one and stick with it. So What would be the best one for someone that likes to do a little of everything? Professor? Seems like they break down like

Auror = dps
Magizoologist = tank
Professor = solo? Jack of all trades?

retrobotjr

Jan 10, 2018
From what I've read the Auror is a little better for solo. I don't quite remember what the Professor is good at but they apparently all have their place if you are grouping up.

Akileese

Oct 25, 2017
I happen to work at a place with 4 inns reachable from a single location, and 2 others within a 50 foot walk of that, but even then, when you're often only getting 2 energy per check-in, it would take forever to refill.

The bigger problem is going to be the cost of increasing vault capacity. A single potion vault space increase (which gives 10 extra slots), costs 200 coins, which is roughly $2-$3, depending on how much gold you're willing to buy. I only played for maybe 20 minutes, and my inventories are already nearly full. Since crafting potions work on a cooldown system, you end up wasting a lot of time waiting for potions to finish (and a lot of inventory space and pickups waiting for the right ingredients to actually make stuff. For having over 150 ingredient items, I find it odd that after making the tutorial potion, I still don't have enough of the right kinds to make even a single potion!)

Ingress had a pretty decent monetization scheme, and Pokemon Go was slightly worse (but not too terrible as long as you had access to enough Pokestops). This game is going to be practically unplayable without both access to a large number of inns and a willingness to spend a lot of cash.

This. I hit a few Inns this morning, got 2 energy from 4...then immediately ran out trying to banish a tougher enemy. Closed and uninstalled at that point. The inventory stuff is negated by constantly making potions, but even then it feels like you're always struggling to balance the two.

I hit level 10 and still started having these issues. Between the sub-optimal inventory system and the horrendous energy system, this is a hard pass from me. It kinda gives me a lot more appreciation for Pokemon Go and how they just sorta make it all work, even if it took a long while.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
The inns are way more clustered and sporty. You need clusters too because most inns and tea shops only give 1 energy which is like 1 pokeball every 5 minutes. so if you don't have a cluster you're shit out of luck.