• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
Should have done a Books of Magic series instead. Vertigo title so I assume they own the rights to that as well.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've said for years a series is the way to do this. One season per book.

I'm excited for it, but oof, hard to be as over the moon about it as i would be considering Rowling is a piece of shit.

May 26, 2018
This just sucks so much. This and the game are the shit I dreamed about as a kid. Now they're all irreversibly tainted by a hateful being.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
There was a time when I'd have been beyond excited at this news.

This is no longer that time.

Fuck JK Rowling.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
Yeah, I think I'm good. She's screwed this whole universe since the last movie 10 years ago. That being said, I always figured the books would've been better adapted as high budget TV shows.

Mashing

Oct 28, 2017
This seems odd. HBO are very progressive (look at how much content they have with LGBTQ characters and especially how many with female leads). Why would they want to work with JK Rowling at all?

With that said, my secret dream is that we get a live action (with a budget) Dragonlance series. That'd be pretty neat.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If it is an adaptation of the books, it's totally unnecessary since the movies already exist and are super ingrained in the fandom.

If it is another thing entirely different in the wizarding world, looking at Cursed Child and Fantastic Beasts doesn't fill me with hope.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This seems odd. HBO are very progressive (look at how much content they have with LGBTQ characters and especially how many with female leads). Why would they want to work with JK Rowling at all?
d77f9bf232d4447e4ed63a503edb7edc.png

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Still can't believe a woman I looked up to and who created my favourite childhood saga would be such an asshole. Easily my biggest personal disappointment in a famous figure.

Even if I could watch this it feels hard to give a shit now as long as she remains profitting from it.

Oddish1

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at the quality of the Fantastic Beasts series I would not expect any expanded Harry Potter universe stories to be very good.

Pulp

Nov 4, 2017
I'll always treasure the original series of books but I have little to no interest in anything new. Not only because Rowling has appalling views, but simply because what we have seen post Harry Potter is trash

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
I bet WB is probably trying their best to find a way for Rowling to pull a Lucas and sell the franchise rights to them.
Problem is I don't think AT&T could spare a couple of billions just to pay her off.
But they could build a case against here if the 3rd Fantastic film fails as well 🤔

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
If it is an adaptation of the books, it's totally unnecessary since the movies already exist and are super ingrained in the fandom.

If it is another thing entirely different in the wizarding world, looking at Cursed Child and Fantastic Beasts doesn't fill me with hope.
Theres a new generation of kids and the movies never went into as much detail

if its a new story altogether, thats up in the air i guess

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
If it's a new adaptation of the books I'll be there day one and I won't let Rowling being an asshole destroy my love for these stories.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not going to watch this, Rowling is a horrible person. I used to really like HP, but Rowling is pure poison and has killed the franchise for me.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
So is it supposed to be a new adaptation of the books? I don't know if the movies are particularly great but I can't imagine anyone else playing those characters.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So is it supposed to be a new adaptation of the books? I don't know if the movies are particularly great but I can't imagine anyone else playing those characters.

I wonder if they'd stick to making Hermione black, like The Cursed Child. That's about the only good thing that stage play actually did and it'd be nice if they at least kept that.

Oct 25, 2017
A TV show adaption of the books could work out so much better than the films. I imagine this is a whole new story with new characters though.

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
Why is everyone assuming this will be a remake of the books?

The article doesn't say it and I would assume if they are playing on nostalgia it's way too early to be recasting that series.

Strong bet that this will be a series of adjacent stories, prequels, and sequels.

Sequels probably being the most lucrative(but also less likely) because you can bring back the old actors.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Rowling will most definitely have a strong hand in the development. Even without her Terfiness, the incoherent plot of Fantastic Beasts 2 would bode poorly.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck jk Rowling. I have that my daughter who is too young to know better idolizes such a hateful bitch. Fuck her (jk not my daughter)

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's time to call out HBO for their shit.

HBO wanted to do an Alt-Civil War show with the Game of Thrones guys.

Now they want to do this with Rowling the crazy TERF?

Sorry. HBO can go fuck off.

I haven't subbed to anything HBO since GoT crashed and burned. I suggest people stop giving them money.

Oct 26, 2017
Even without JKR being a shitty TERF, I wouldn't be interested. Cursed Child, Fantastic Beasts, and Pottermore have all been mediocre to pretty awful. Harry Potter was an important part of my childhood but looking back on it- I feel like it doesn't hold up well.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I have no clue what this is but I'm already infinitely more excited for it than I am the Amazon LOTR series.

Anything in early development makes me cautious to be excited though because I feel like there's a high chance of development going nowhere and petering out.

Even without JKR being a shitty TERF, I wouldn't be interested. Cursed Child, Fantastic Beasts, and Pottermore have all been mediocre to pretty awful. Harry Potter was an important part of my childhood but looking back on it- I feel like it doesn't hold up well.

Fantastic Beasts was excellent (the first one anyway). I wish they would've stuck with a wacky dude hunting down beasts in interesting places than going the "try to tie this into HP" route though.

Composer

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Super excited for this; always was a huge HP fan. Seems like the perfect time for it honestly.

Deleted member 1698

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just can't get hyped over HP stuff anymore thanks to the creator.

That aside, and of course it isn't really aside, but that aside, everything released in the Harry Potter universe, from the past few films, the fantastic beasts, the play disaster has been... very crap.

So I don't get excited about Harry Potter the same way I don't care about new Star Wars content. It just isn't good and hasn't been for a long, long time.

I expect this will hence suck as well. People "hoping" really need to think about why they need to hope something will be good.

The Slothful

Oct 27, 2017
Trans women are women. I used to like Harry Potter but Rowling can fuck off today, fuck off tomorrow, then go back in time to fuck off forever. There's all sorts of undiscovered, talented, creative people out there and instead they give money to this TERF. For me, it doesn't matter how good the chicken sandwich is or how many people worked on the game- If they end up on my radar, it's time to move on. With all of her terrible opinions and horrible writing that followed, I wouldn't be shocked at this point to find out that she stole HP from a trans woman.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This just sucks so much. This and the game are the shit I dreamed about as a kid. Now they're all irreversibly tainted by a hateful being.
I'm in the same boat. A tv series should have been a dream come true for me

Fuck that TERF, for all the harm she's done, the hateful shit she's said, and making me and countless other former fans walk away from that tainted universe

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, cant separate art from the artist. Just gave away my books. Not like Ive actually read them again since I got them over a decade ago.

LukeOP

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The whole universe seems rather small thanks to focusing and overhyping the main bad guy. I'm not sure what they'll do to have a compelling story after how Voldemort was written.