• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
Rick-Morty-Season-3-Delay-No-Release-Date.jpg

Dan Harmon has taken himself off Twitter following the resurfacing of a video he made which features a scene depicting the rape of a baby doll. The video, a five-minute comedy pilot titled "Daryl," was posted in 2009 on Channel 101.

"Daryl" spoofs Showtime's serial killer drama "Dexter." The scene features Harmon's character climbing through a window, pulling down his pants, and rubbing his genitals on a baby doll lying on a couch. In the introduction to the video, Harmon appears on camera warning viewers the pilot is "controversial."

Chris Pratt and Zoe Saldana Break Silence on James Gunn Being Fired From 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3'
Harmon's video resurfaced online during Comic-Con weekend, in which he was attending the event with his fellow "Rick and Morty" co-creator Justin Roiland. The video earned backlash on social media for making light of child rape. Harmon has not commented on the video in a statement but he did delete his Twitter account. IndieWire has reached out to Harmon's representatives for further comment.

https://www.indiewire.com/2018/07/d...tter-account-fake-baby-rape-video-1201987089/

lock if old.

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone once in a while you see a story about something that get filmed and you wonder "How did no one high up say no?" This is one of those stories.

Deleted member 21380

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Like I said before and before and before, no single comedian or comedy writer that was born before the zero years will ever pass any purity test.

Lame joke, maybe disgusting joke, but NOTHING MORE than a joke.

CallMeShaft

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda fucked up and not my type of humor, but he was obviously doing it for shock laughs years ago. This is just the alt-right assholes trying to tarnish another reputation of a liberal with a check mark. Don't give them an inch, let the past be.

Twiz

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wonder how the Morty fanbase will react? Rationally and composed right?

baggage

Oct 25, 2017
It's ..pretty tame for a Channel 101 pilot.

But it's Channel 101. It's about the same as "The real adventures of doc and mharti" overall.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Dan Harmon is one weird dude. The original pilot or concept video for Rick and Morty was also pretty fucked up.

Edit nevermind the Rick and Morty thing was strictly a Roiland joint.

He's weird too.

Deleted member 835

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like I said before and before and before, no single comedian or comedy writer that was born before the zero years will ever pass any purity test.

Lame joke, maybe disgusting joke, but NOTHING MORE than a joke.
If you think faking raping a baby is a joke than I guess you are right...

I don't see stuff like this as jokes myself

Sain

Nov 13, 2017
It is sad to say, but literally every person with anything to lose should get their ass off of social media as fast as possible. Intent be damned, someone will try to weaponize anything you say or do to bring you down.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean, the original pilot for Rick and Morty was replete with this kind of humor. EDIT: Oops that was Roiland

Who would expect anything else from this dude? It's a good thing he makes a show for Adult Swim and not the Protestant Church

Most importantly, it's a fuckin joke

daboynem

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017

K bro keep going after jokes and the only people wellw have left is people like cernovich lmao. Next it'll be retweeting dark jokes or parody accounts and you're done

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Alt-right is weaponizing "outrage culture".

Clever girl.

This has always been the case... Weaponized outrage culture has always been a tool of the Christian right around the world for hundreds of years. Think of legitimate cases of leftists trying to weaponize outrage culture or successfully doing it and you'll struggle. The right get outraged at peaceful protests, outraged at women in gaming, outraged at movie directors for making jokes they'd defend as free speech if they made them, outraged at political/religious satire, the list goes on and on.

The only thing that's clever about the alt-right is labelling outrage as a leftist thing when it never has been. The same thing can be said, in large, in regards to purity testing which isn't much of an issue outside of tumblr/twitter for the left.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The worst thing about this whole situation is that it has emboldened some truly terrible people.

Deleted member 2109

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's a pretty great picture of Harmon lol.

I think I saw that back in the 101 days. It's a dumb shock jock type joke. Why would anyone care.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
"Li-li-li-lick my baaaaalls, Mharty!!"

Also this is a good time to remember that the Right is more often than not the ones complaining about "snowflakes" killing comedy.

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rick and Morty was pitched with a pilot depicting sexual assault of a minor for laughs.

I doubt they'll cancel over this.

Oct 25, 2017
It's probably a good idea to just purge all your social media accounts every year or two anyhow. It's mostly just junk data sitting around that only benefits creeps and privacy invading data sniffers.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
Why is fucking with kids a JOKE to y'all?

Look in the mirror and ask the question.

Comedy is comedy but from where I'm from, that shit won't get you laughs..... Just some questionable looks

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
Alt-right is weaponizing "outrage culture".

Clever girl.

Yup.

And if they weren't gross monsters trying to "get" their political enemies, they'd have a pretty good point about the language and joke policing going on with some of the most ridiculous people on the left.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Humanity is really taking a long long look at itself based on social media and there being no ability to forget anything done anymore.

The only problem is are we going to hold everyone accountable or will there just be one side that doesnt care how they are judged socially.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

Shit was wild 10 years ago. I foresee a lot of higher profile comedians and "controversial" actors popping off of Twitter sooner rather than later. The purity test is real.

zeuanimals

Nov 23, 2017
I mean, the original pilot for Rick and Morty was replete with this kind of humor.

Who would expect anything else from this dude? It's a good thing he makes a show for Adult Swim and not the Protestant Church

Most importantly, it's a fuckin joke

He didn't make the Doc and Mahrty sketch, that was Justin Roiland.

Everyone once in a while you see a story about something that get filmed and you wonder "How did no one high up say no?" This is one of those stories.

Wasn't Harmon one of the higher ups with Channel 101?

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Harmon has been sick of Twitter for quite a while now. Him deleting it has been a long time coming

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If I were to be optimistic, I'd say this might have the unintended consequence of killing this type of "humor", which I always found distasteful, for good.

And really, a mass exodus of talent from social media is socially a good thing. Twitter is compromised, Facebook is compromised, Reddit is compromised, YouTube is algorithmically compromised.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Guys. Watch the Hilarity for Charity special on Netflix. The Rick and Morty people made a special animated short for the special.

It's...something.