• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

cjkeats

Oct 27, 2017
S. John's, NL Canada
I managed to finish VVVVVV and Celeste. I don't know if VVVVVV is considered "hard" of what but it was for me, and I did it on 3DS of all platforms.

In Sekiro I beat Lady Butterfly and after that I was pretty satisfied and didn't pick the game up again lol.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
Mass Effect 2 on Insanity.

The fight against the Praetorians with the moving platforms still gives me anxiety to this date.

PlatypusDude

Oct 25, 2017
Probably forgetting one that was harder, but probably Sekiro. Some of those late game bosses sure were something.

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
I suck at finishing really hard games. Barely made it beyond the first boss in Ninja Gaiden (Xbox). I finished Truxton on Mega Drive a number of times. People said back then it was hard. I don't know, I was like 10.

Metropolis Street Racer on Dreamcast was challenging too, I remember. Put some crazy hours into that game.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
Also recently beat The Surge 2 but that game was only fairly hard up until the mech boss or so. After that it was quite easy and I barely died on any more boss and just was on cruise mode on NG+.

Just ordered Nioh 2 today, will see if I regret it or not depending how frustrating it is.

Isurus

May 21, 2019
Far and away, it's The Adventure of Bayou Billy for NES. There is no more difficult game I can think of.

19496-the-adventures-of-bayou-billy-nes-front-cover.png

NESpowerhouse

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Drake's Fortune on Crushing mode. I don't even know how i managed it
I've done this twice: Once on PS3, another time on PS4.

I go through all the classic Castlevania games (1, 2, 3, 4, rondo, bloodlines) and Mega Man games (1-10) once a year.

But platinuming Jak 2 was definitely my biggest trial ever.

With that said though, I still can't get past the first world in the original Kid Ikarus. Fuck that game.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
The Platinum Trophy for Assault Android Cactus. S+ rank on the final boss was quite a challenge.

Deleted member 41651

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
This unfair piece of shit. I swear, the stuff kids would put up with just to play games of their favorite shows...
61SBbFAHNOL._AC_SX425_.jpg

Kyubajin

Feb 22, 2019
FromSoftware games of the past 2 generations.
Demon's Souls took me about 80 hours of pain, joy, and overcoming, it literally brought me back into liking gaming again.
Dark Souls was hard but not as hard as DS. It greatly improved on the mechanics of the previous title and it's now a legendary and influential masterpiece.
Bloodborne was insane until I got used to its radical new combat system and mentality and then brutal again while playing the DLC. Still my favourite of the bunch.
Sekiro, surprisingly, was the easiest for me once I got used to combat. In the end you truly fell like a badass ninja who can take on anything.

Obsonet

Nov 26, 2019
I guess the splatoon 2 octo expansion including the optional final boss
I'm not great at games so normally can't beat games that are difficult.

Oct 30, 2017
I made Final Fantasy 8 and 10 really hard for myself because I didn't like those games. I tried to fly through them rather than quitting and ended up being vastly unprepared for the final bosses. Was able to beat them both after hours of trial and error, mapping out a near perfect run. Same thing with Sephiroth in Kingdom Hearts 1, I was stubborn and refused to grind for levels, ended up fighting him over and over for hours. I finally gave in, leveled up to what the internet recommended, and beat him on my first shot right after.

CrazyHal

Nov 1, 2017
Probably Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne (featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry series). One of the most brutal turn base rpg ever made. The fiends gave me PTSD that is stll present to this day. When i first played with SMT IV and encounter the first fiend and the same music as nocturne started playing i freaked the fuck out.

Zukkoyaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely Bloodborne. Got the platinum trophy for it as well. Never doing something like that again lol.

Ramako

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
Demon's Souls just barely edges out Dark Souls for me (those are the only Souls games I've played). Honourable mentions go to Celeste and Thumper.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
Devil May Cry 3 on DMD.
Had to use Items though :(

Soulslike games are way easier if you play them "correctly" imo

touchfuzzy

Banned
Jul 27, 2019
Elite Beat Agents on the hardest difficulty
Into the Breach on hard mode

I don't play a lot of naturally difficult games, and most don't keep my interest long enough to do a second playthrough on higher difficulties.

Kopite

Oct 28, 2017
Dark Souls and I platted Bloodborne. I don't think either games are that difficult with walkthroughs and practice though

someday

Oct 25, 2017
I completed Cod 2, 4, and WaW on Veteran (along with most other call of duty games but these are the hardest) back on 360. That includes Mile High Club on Veteran. Other than that, I don't really play hard games. I doubt I'd spend the time to replay WaW today.

g-m1n1

Oct 27, 2017
Luxembourg
Seriously can't remember if I ever finished a hard game in my life. Most of the times I stop playing before I become to much frustrated.

It was probably a NES/SNES or some old PC game. Less money/games at that time, so yeah I had to play it. I don't have any patience nowadays.

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on if it's difficult by design, or because the game is complete trash. Cuphead was tough as nails but I overcame...

...but nothing comes close to getting all achievements in Sonic '06. That game will haunt me until my last breath. I don't even know what possessed me to do it. 2007 was a different time.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I've played a lot of games on their hardest difficulty.

With exception to games that have "die once and restart the entire game" difficulties, COD4 was the hardest by far. Instant death infinitely spawning enemies for the entire campaign. That was an ordeal.

Game became less about shooting enemies and more about reaching the next checkpoint to trigger the next spawnwave.

Though apparently WAW is harder.

Megamind.

Nov 18, 2019
Bloodborne the old hunters DLC. While not a full game Ludwig was a bitch and continues to be so.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
WarCraft II- Beyond the Dark Portal campaign. I finished the game as Humans with no cheats.

Never beat the orc campaign in either base game or the expansion.

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
As far as playing "vanilla" goes, probably Celeste. I think I died over 1000 times trying to complete it (though one level, which was either Chapter 5 or 6, was responsible for nearly half of those deaths). The Soulsborne games, Nioh, and Retro's DKC games are also up there.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
Kid icarus uprising level 9.0, de fact that death means restarting the level from the beginning is nerve wreaking.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
XCOM 2 on Legend Ironman. The tactical layer isn't too bad and it's basically the same as Commander but the Strategy layer is brutal and at any point there could be an event that if mismanaged can basically end your campaign.

I'm particularly pleased with having done this since when I originally got XCOM 2 the game tore me a new one and I basically quit the game with my tail between my legs, and it want until years later that I actually decided to git gud at it.

Another game that people might not associate with difficulty is Shadow of the Colossus. The Hard Timed Trials after you beat the game can get really tricky, because you need to have perfect execution against a couple of the Colossi. Very rewarding since it forces you to master each of the encounters.

Thug Larz

Designer @ Bungie
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
For me, it's probably original Metroid Prime on GameCube. That final boss fight was quite something, and I've played and finished all the Souls games. 😄

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
When I was younger I beat a lot of very hard games. The one that immediately springs to mind is Goldeneye 007. I unlocked everything in that game. Some of the cheats were hell to unlock.

Xythantiops

Oct 27, 2017
Mostly Arcade stuff, 1cc, and about that:

Gradius III, the original Arcade version. You really don't know the price of suffering with that game until the very end... it was one of the happiest days of my life as a gamer when I finished it. And probably Mushihime-sama in Maniac Mode too.

Ah, also, I finished Perfect Cherry Blossom in Lunatic once, like 13 years ago maybe... but I don't like Touhou games on Lunatic, I just prefer hard mode because I think the games are more coherent with it's bullet patterns, but that's just me.

You 1CCed Gradius III arcade? I think you just trounced everyone in this thread.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
It really depends on how we are quantifying difficult.

The single most difficult skill-based, challenge-oriented games I've played have to be either something like The Old Hunters for me, or maybe one of the bullet hell or rail shooters I've beaten on hard. Those are really well designed games with difficulty/challenges oriented mostly around set parameters. Most of the arcade/bullet hell genre shooters are.

If we are quantifying this by how well we understood a thing, the adaptation required, the raw amount of difficulties that can be placed against you simply by random or circumstance, it's probably something like Pathologic 2, The Void, or Darkest Dungeon -- A game I still haven't beaten due to RNG screwing me quite a few times/the length of grinding required on a non-Radiant difficulty.

I still have to fully finish Ninja Gaiden Black though. I'm not stuck on that due to difficulty though, just attention span.

Oh, I've beaten Getting Over It like 30 times. But that's an example of a game that is easier than it gets credit for.

Deleted member 19742

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if I've really played many SUPER difficult games. Rogue Galaxy, maybe? That one can be unforgiving, and that final boss is a nightmare.