ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Hey all. Thread title seems pretty self-explanatory, so I'll just tell you about my inspiration for making it. With the release of the two Mega Man Collections on Switch in May, I completed a personal goal and beat every classic Mega Man game, 1 thru 10. I beat Mega Man 4 with its crazy collision damage; I persevered through the horror that was Wily Capsule 7; I even found a copy of Mega Man & Bass and beat that too. By the end of this journey, I felt like I had 'gotten gud' at Mega Man; just last week I breezed through "Mega Man in the Mushroom Kingdom" (a texture hack of MM1 that also lowers the difficulty) and was feeling like a baller.

That's when I found the game that knocked me on my ass again. A total-conversion hack called Rockman CX.
hqdefault.jpg

I was drawn in by the awesome and totally-not-licensed boss characters, and the fact that it works on the NES Classic. But, as you might expect from a ROMhack, the game is friggin' hard. The stages fluctuate wildly in difficult from easy peasy to pixel-perfect hard. But the biggest source of difficulty is the bosses (well, besides Whispy, lol). They have tons of moves, and many of them have multiple one-hit kills. Mega Man can fully heal himself. Air Man is invisible. But the worst boss of them all is Cheat Man, who quite literally cheats. No, really. Just watch this shit:

That's not even all of his moves. He can also stunlock you, and swap his health bar with yours (so you really don't wanna use any E-Tanks during this fight). And would you believe, the bosses become harder during the re-fight!

Most Mega Man games I can beat in one sitting (granted, that sitting may last a few hours). But this hack took me three or four days of playing with all the free time I had to get to the end. It's an awesome fangame, with tons of cool new music remixes and bosses from start to finish. But I cannot in good conscience condone you trying it on real hardware, because I really don't think it's possible to beat without copious save-stating. Beating it feels like an accomplishment, and thinking on it briefly it may just be the hardest game I've ever completed.

Now of course, I wanna hear from you Era. What's your hardest beaten game, your badge of honor you wear with pride? Anything that is a 'video game' counts in this thread. Beating X game on Y difficulty, hacks, fangames, flash games, etc. How long did it take? What was the hardest part? How did you feel when you finally did it? Tell me all about it.
I'mma need some receipts if you claim you've beaten Christopher Robin at baseball tho.

Last edited:

Thoraxes

Oct 25, 2017
Gehenna
I remember having a tough time with Devil Survivor: Overclocked.

I remember I killed the final boss by draining them to death, and having reflect except for one thing to reflect their reflect since they were immune to almost everything. That whole last thing took me a very long time.

I don't even remember which route it was.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I'm not sure if "beat" is the right word, since Dustforce doesn't really have an ending, but getting the single achievement is nothing if not an accomplishment.

OP
OP
ASaiyan

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Undertale genocide run. Never want to do that again.
Of course I've seen the final boss of the genocide route, but I can't imagine actually doing it. I'd never be able to do that run because I don't have the heart for it, but even if I did I might not ever beat that boss, lol.

I'm not sure if "beat" is the right word, since Dustforce doesn't really have an ending, but getting the single achievement is nothing if not an accomplishment.
I've only ever seen this game at GDQs and it looks monstrous. And you played it on the hardest difficulty :0. Well done.

tatwo

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
First Metroid I guess. It's not really that hard tbh. Never finished Meat boy, Bloodborne or DS3. All three I consider harder but I quit all of them very close to end.

waffleman

Oct 27, 2017
Jeez, that boss fight looks god damn brutal to pass. Congrats on beating it.

There are two games that come to mind when I think of the most difficult games. The first would be the original Serious Sam game on Serious difficulty (basically very hard). These games are hard enough on normal difficulty, but Serious is something else. Constantly switching through all of your weapons available while contending with every threat possible both offensively and defensively at the same time, it really pushes you to the brink to pass. Definitely felt very satisfying completing it.

This one isn't technically a game, but I think it still counts. Through the Fire and Flames, Expert Difficulty, Guitar Hero 3. This legendary song is unlocked once you beat the game on any difficulty, and it puts your skills to the absolute test. I don't even know how it is possible for someone to beat on their first try without using two hands on the buttons and elbow for strum, because the amount of precision needed to one hand it is insane. I picked up the series around 2011-2012, and I finally beat the song on expert in 2017. I can blast through it now, even at 125% speed, but overall, that has got to be the hardest for me. It felt like I truly beat GH3 on expert once I did so, and it was gratifying.

Cass_Se

Oct 25, 2017
Undertale genocide run. Never want to do that again.

Yeah, I think that genocide run final boss was the hardest single boss that I've ever beaten (single player, outside of WoW). Took a lot of practice.

I'm also fairly proud of my 100% in Binding of Isaac Wrath of Lamb/Rebirth/Afterbirth, Super Meat Boy and Celeste (well, outside of no-death runs for the latter two which are too insane for me).

OP
OP
ASaiyan

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
This one isn't technically a game, but I think it still counts. Through the Fire and Flames, Expert Difficulty, Guitar Hero 3. This legendary song is unlocked once you beat the game on any difficulty, and it puts your skills to the absolute test. I don't even know how it is possible for someone to beat on their first try without using two hands on the buttons and elbow for strum, because the amount of precision needed to one hand it is insane. I picked up the series around 2011-2012, and I finally beat the song on expert in 2017. I can blast through it now, even at 125% speed, but overall, that has got to be the hardest for me. It felt like I truly beat GH3 on expert once I did so, and it was gratifying.
I think my record for that song is 60% with No Fail on. But yeah, I can't actually pass it without that cheat, lol. Good job.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Both Prinny games on PSP (the second one especially is a pain), Undertale's Genocide Run, Hotline Miami 2 with platinum included, Final Fantasy I (Origins on PS1), OG Strange Journey, Devil Survivor, Mega Man Unlimited (fangame) was super hard too, I think...

Last night tho I beat the secret boss in Splatoon 2's Octo Expansion (the expansion itself is challenging but nothing that hard) and it might be the most aggravating thing I've ever fought in a video game, mostly because it doesn't feel fair at all and I swear it must have taken at least 10 hours worth of retries. I never want to hear that goddamn song again lol (okay yes but not for some time at least).

I find it hilarious that it's from Splatoon of all things.
First Metroid I guess. It's not really that hard tbh. Never finished Meat boy, Bloodborne or DS3. All three I consider harder but I quit all of them very close to end.
Honestly I find Metroid harder, haha. Add that to my list too.

OP
OP
ASaiyan

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Mega Man Unlimited (fangame) was super hard too, I think...
Oh god, I have to see if my heart can take more Mega Man fangames, lol. There's a famous harder hack of Mega Man 4 called "Rockman Minus Infinity". But MM4 is already one of (if not the) hardest games in the series, because for whatever reason they turned the collision damage up insanely high (so if a boss jumps into you like twice you're dead). So that sounds...tough...

Kudos to the first one posting "I wanna be the guy".
I wanted to believe that there is a member of this forum who beat IWBTG on Impossible (the difficulty where there is literally only one save point, halfway through the game, after beating Mecha Birdo). If they exist, I hope they will show themselves in this thread, so that we may all bow down.

mr lurtle

Oct 27, 2017
Earth Defense Force 2017 on Inferno difficulty and Left 4 Dead on expert without any glitches (totally would have used a glitch but found out about it too late ;))
Both took ages.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
I still have no idea how I beat SMB the Lost Levels as a young teen.

Honestly, I'm not sure what the hardest game I've beaten since then would be. Maybe when I first played Dark Souls I thought it was hard, but after playing all of them multiple times I don't think they're really that difficult, but that might be from experience.

I've beaten the first Castlevania game without using continues, so maybe that counts?

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh god, I have to see if my heart can take more Mega Man fangames, lol. There's a famous harder hack of Mega Man 4 called "Rockman Minus Infinity". But MM4 is already one of (if not the) hardest games in the series, because for whatever reason they turned the collision damage up insanely high (so if a boss jumps into you like twice you're dead). So that sounds...tough...

I wanted to believe that there is a member of this forum who beat IWBTG on Impossible (the difficulty where there is literally only one save point, halfway through the game, after beating Mecha Birdo). If they exist, I hope they will show themselves in this thread, so that we may all bow down.
Haha I feel you, I've tried a ton, including 4 MI (not the one in the OP tho, that looks hellish) and never beaten any outside of Unlimited, but to be fair this one isn't really designed to be super hard, it just is... Or was? I remember beating it right after it launched and I'm pretty sure it got patched because the checkpoints were ruthless lol.

I fully recommend it though, it was awesome.

Oct 25, 2017
Tough one.

In terms of, like, reflexes and "gamer skill" or whatever, it's probably the latest God of War on the GOW difficulty. It was not at all fun and I remember feeling at the time I had finished it that I hadn't done anything harder than it in the single-player realm (I would hold accomplishments in the MP realm as an entirely different category).

But there are plenty of games where I spent a lot more time with them, and they required different abilities. I think The Witness was a really challenging game my first time through -- doing "The Challenge" at the end was insanely satisfying and I felt the weight of accomplishment that nearly 100% that game gave me.

I know I beat a lot of games I'd consider "kinda" hard. Stuff like Bloodborne -- platinumed that one, and it's DLC. I never really found the DS / BB style games hard, just frustrating in some rare cases and time-consuming.

In terms of pure "I literally can't believe I bothered" would probably be something like Unlimited SaGa. That game was pure ass, and RNG to boot. I honestly don't know how I survived, and I'm kind of disgusted that I did.

Drizzy Finks

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Probably Ghosts 'n' Goblins on the NES. I think that game isn't as hard as people think it is, but it requires a lot of trial and error and memorization. There is some definite jank to it as well, but it's fun.

OP
OP
ASaiyan

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
I still have no idea how I beat SMB the Lost Levels as a young teen.

I've beaten the first Castlevania game without using continues, so maybe that counts?
I have no idea how they messed up the second Mario game that bad. It's like the first Kaizo ROMhack with those wrong warps, hidden blocks, poison mushrooms and whatnot. But it was actually an official released game!

And yeah, Castlevania totally counts. I've never seriously tried to play through that one yet, but I can't remember even beating the first level, lol.

The horror...the horror...
image.png

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Played thorough most of the mega man games and mega man x series. Beaten ninja gaiden on master ninja. Cup head I s ranked all non flying levels and bosses. Alot of the snes games and nes games are likely the hardest stuff I've went through tho.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
I don't even know. All Souls games and Bloodborne multiple times and challenge runs. Beat Last of Us on grounded plus, if that's considered hard.

I came close to beating Cuphead but quit at King Dice.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Probably Metal Gear Rising on Revengeance difficulty. Didn't S-rank it, though. I'm not that crazy.

Just for reference what that means if you played MGR on Normal:
  • You take 8 times as much damage
  • Nanopastes only heal 75% and will use multiple if you take more damage in one hit (As in you have 200% Health and 5 pastes. You take a 300 damage hit. You're down to 75% health and 3 pastes.)
  • Enemies do not wait their turn and will attack together
  • The enemy layout is the Very Hard layout which introduces Gekkos and Fenrirs in the tutorial
  • ...and the chapter 2 boss has a second GRAD in it
  • You cannot lose to win the initial phases of the final boss, you have to win by timeout
  • You do, however, do ridiculous damage off a perfect parry
To say there's a difficulty spike there is underselling it. Getting out of the tutorial is one of the hardest things in the entire game. The chapter 2 boss goes from a walkover to one of the most menacing things you'll ever fight. The very final phase of the final boss is amazing, though. QTEs count for the damage boost off parries, so you and he are probably as evenly matched as it's going to get. Hitting that final hit on Revengeance was so satisfying. The game had sent its worst, and was found wanting.

If you want to try this I got a tip that'll help. There are two kinds of common enemy. The ones you can freely cut and the ones with armor. So a fully upgraded Armor Breaker is a great weapon to bring. Use the Murasama for boss fights, but the Armor Breaker on normal enemies so you can break them and cut them.

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Zelda 2.
I'm not much of a rage gamer but oh man did that game make me want to throw my 3ds across the room a few times LOL. I friggin sucked at it and the stupid jump slash animation is like seared into my gd head permanently. Felt really accomplished when I beat it though!

I'm actually working my way through Bloodborne right now (first time & first soulsborne game) and I know they have a reputation of being pretty notoriously hard so I'm curious how I'll feel about it once I manage to beat it. So far it's not too bad but I'm only maybe about halfway through excluding DLC (tho I plan to tackle that too).

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Y-you beat Ninja Gaiden Black? On the hardest difficulty?
xFrJtHx.gif

I saw a 2-hour Master Ninja speedrun in this year's SGDQ and it was like watching a god
Just regular ninja gaiden, sadly Ive never played black or sigma (if xbox ever does a backwards comparability update for it its moving to the top of my list of things to do tho, I love that game so much).

OP
OP
ASaiyan

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Just regular ninja gaiden, sadly Ive never played black or sigma (if xbox ever does a backwards comparability update for it its moving to the top of my list of things to do tho, I love that game so much).
That's still pretty incredible. I didn't even know the original Ninja Gaiden had difficulty settings! I've watched hardcore retro gamers the likes of James Rolfe and Shinya Arino struggle violently to beat it on normal...

OP
OP
ASaiyan

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm total scrub, so Dark Souls and Bloodborne, even then I occasionally use Summon.
Haha, I was kinda joking in that first post, but the Soulsborne games are hard! I only beat Dark Souls [Remastered] for the first time last month. And even then it was a super slow and grindy playthrough where I did cheese strats like early Drake Sword and summoning Solaire to fight Ornstein and Smough. And all that was with a smooth 60 frames and no slideshow Blighttown horror. I'm scared to even try Bloodborne because I know my Souls gameplay style won't work, lol. You should be proud! Praise the Sun!

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Um... Hollow Knight and Ori and the Blind Forest? I don't have much patience for hard games.

Ghostshark

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
3 heart straight to Ganon in BoTW is by far the hardest. Ghouls N Ghosts (and Goblins) were really difficult.

Chas Hodges

Nov 7, 2017
Probably The Witness - I looked up the solution to one totally optional puzzle and that was it. The logic of the game became so ingrained that I'd take a break when I was stuck, photograph the puzzle on my phone, go out for a walk or to run an errand, and then part way through whatever I was doing find myself struck with sudden inspiration.

By the end of the 60-odd hours it took me to beat I was buried under stacks of crudely drawn shapes and patterns, and my phone was crammed with half solved images that I'd doodled on top of.

Arkaign

Nov 25, 2017
Games that gave me fits before finishing :

Mega Man 3
Ninja Gaiden 2 and 3
Battletoads
Sunsoft Batman
Genesis Contra Hard Corps (stupidly hard compared to EU/JP version that actually has a lifebar as originally designed/balanced, making the one-hit deaths feel incredibly frustrating)

Games that were supposed to be hard but I didn't have notable difficulty with :

Ninja Gaiden 1
TMMT
Castlevania 3

Games that were a combination of difficult and unfulfilling that I just shelved :

Too many to count lol

OP
OP
ASaiyan

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
3 heart straight to Ganon in BoTW is by far the hardest.
Six boss fights in a row, with three hearts. Did you get some armor or weapons on the walk through the castle, or did you fight him naked with a tree branch? :0

Either way, that's a serious accomplishment. I didn't even really fight Calamity Ganon 1, lol. I couldn't the timing right on those shield blocks so I just cheesed it with that auto-reflecting Ancient Shield.

Probably The Witness - I looked up the solution to one totally optional puzzle and that was it. The logic of the game became so ingrained that I'd take a break when I was stuck, photograph the puzzle on my phone, go out for a walk or to run an errand, and then part way through whatever I was doing find myself struck with sudden inspiration.
Surprised we haven't had more puzzle games in this thread yet. I like in theory, but I hate them in practice because they I'm not good at them, lol. I played like the first two hours of The Witness, solved maybe five or six puzzles, and got a massive headache. Congrats on getting through twenty hours of that mindteasery blind.

Which ever is harder out of DS or BB (probably DS due to cheesy bullshit like Archer Knights in Anor Londo and Bed of Chaos).
Bed of Chaos is not even a boss fight. It's like, an extremely hard QTE sequence where you have to move absolutely perfectly to cut off two parts of an enemy and finish with a one-hit kill. Why did they even need that in the game? Lol.

Should be F-Zero GX (story mode on very hard, all cups)
I like FAST Racing because it doesn't drain your health whenever you boost. F-Zero on hardest difficulty sounds nightmarish. Well done.

Last edited:

Yoshi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Should be F-Zero GX (story mode on very hard, all cups) or Super Monkey Ball (master mode), both are pretty challenging.