astro

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, user scores. Another great metric.

Didn't realize people were so passionate about Plants vs. Zombies.

We'll have to agree to disagree, I suppose.
First game was amazing. Majority of users hated second.

The sequel sucked. Consumables, microtransactions, a silly overworld instead of a proper 'story mode'.
It was only reviewed well because the core of the game - the PvZ concept itself - is still amazing. Anything the sequel added was garbage.

The original PvZ was perfection.
Yes.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
PvZ is one of those games that budding designers should consider studying. The mechanics are all so intuitive and clear that anyone can pick the game up and quickly understand situations that would otherwise be quite complex, and the game is good at forgiving initial mistakes but also good at punishing really fundamentally bad decisions by the player.

I think the only real complaint is that in the end, for every level type there's a stand-out set of plants that, used correctly, will absolutely destroy any zombie formation that you'll encounter on that level, and once you understand that the game becomes a bit simple. It takes a while to get there though.

(Also the Vita version is secretly the best with its feature to tilt the screen to collect sun, I'm not sure if that made it to any other system - I know it's not in the current Android version).

astro

Oct 25, 2017
PvZ is one of those games that budding designers should consider studying. The mechanics are all so intuitive and clear that anyone can pick the game up and quickly understand situations that would otherwise be quite complex, and the game is good at forgiving initial mistakes but also good at punishing really fundamentally bad decisions by the player.

I think the only real complaint is that in the end, for every level type there's a stand-out set of plants that, used correctly, will absolutely destroy any zombie formation that you'll encounter on that level, and once you understand that the game becomes a bit simple. It takes a while to get there though.

(Also the Vita version is secretly the best with its feature to tilt the screen to collect sun, I'm not sure if that made it to any other system - I know it's not in the current Android version).

What at that vita feature?

I have a vita collecting dust...

Chixdiggit

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
So many hours into this across multiple platforms. I just checked and I have 44 hours alone into the Steam version. Shame about the sequel, I do occasionally play Heroes and Warfare though.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
I loved this game. Played it obsessively until I 100%ed, first phone game I ever did that with. I bought it again on Steam, NDS and XB360 but didn't play any of these to even 5% of the time I did on the iPhone. It truly belongs on a phone.

PvZ2 was an equally good core game and was met with deservedly positive reviews...until they started to add more and more P2W elements.

They even attempted to remove the lawnmowers at one point (the game's life system) and force players to pay for them out of pocket. I had a very brief brush with internet fame when my blog write up and Reddit post caught fire with gamers, even getting picked up by other news sources (it was super bizarre to see a BBC piece reference my online handle as a news source) until EA responded, apologized and ammended the change.

You all know how the story ends unfortunately. They found other ways to monetize features within the game. I got burned out and stopped playing entirely.

I hope if they ever release a 3rd game that they have learned something from the burnout and distaste they caused gamers in PvZ2.

Fishsnot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
Certainly up there with the all time greatest games. I'm not even kidding!
PvsZ2 was.....ok. I think it had certainly had the potential to be a lot better than it turned out.

Garden Warfare was fantastic in all aspects, just a pure joy to play online and the atmossphere was great. The second however was the very definition of "Meh" It just lost that certain something. Oh and the Gnomes thing was pretty shit too.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
What at that vita feature?

I have a vita collecting dust...
The Vita version had an option that allowed you to lightly tilt the machine to collect sun or coins. Since there's plenty of stages with moments where you're split between planting new plants and collecting sun, it was a very handy feature.

Unfortunately the game's been removed from the PlayStation Store so if you don't have it already, I don't think there's any way to get a copy of the Vita version.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The Vita version had an option that allowed you to lightly tilt the machine to collect sun or coins. Since there's plenty of stages with moments where you're split between planting new plants and collecting sun, it was a very handy feature.

Unfortunately the game's been removed from the PlayStation Store so if you don't have it already, I don't think there's any way to get a copy of the Vita version.
Ah, damn. Sounds like a fun feature and would have chosen that as my replay platform.

Thanks for the info. Phone or laptop then!

Last edited:

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Er...

PVZ2.jpg

I said "proper sequel".

PvZ2 was terrible and geared around microtransactions.

Kemono

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
THe first one was so awesome.

Would love a new one without the mobile-hell-bullshit.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
THe first one was so awesome.

Would love a new one without the mobile-hell-bullshit.

Was coming to post this. I love PvZ, but I wish we could get another one that didn't focus so heavily on microtransactions.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
PvZ is great. I got back into Garden Warfare 2 when it went free on Games with Gold a while back. I loved the original but I just couldn't get into GW2 when I tried a free weekend for some reason, this time it clicked with me and I dug it just as much as the original. Hopefully Garden Warfare 3 hits Switch as well, I'd play a ton of it on my main console.

I also tried out PvZ2 recently expecting hot garbage and honestly it wasn't so bad. I got to the pirate area which I believe was the third world and I hadn't noticed any P2W stuff, if it creeps into the later worlds then I can at least say that you get a fair few hours of fun PvZ gameplay out of it before that happens.