• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Super-Mario-Galaxy-2-83-1362718723-1280x720.jpg
Initially released May 23rd, 2010 in the US first, Galaxy 2 is now a decade old! Time flies!

This was the first time I was ever truly hyped for a game. Galaxy 1 meant so much to me as a kid, so it was surreal that they actually made a sequel to me. Thus, I'll always remember this date without having to look it up.

Anyways, Galaxy 2 remains the only 3D Mario sequel on the same system, and is a great case as to why it shouldn't be the only one.

The level design is superb, improving on Galaxy 1's by having nearly every ability in that game plus a ton more. Some may say it's a glorified DLC pack, but the glass half full in me sees it as a refinement and perfection from a gameplay standpoint.

the story, however, didn't have the same heart in my opinion, an unfortunate interference from Miyamoto. It lost the spacey vibes that made the first one super special as well, barely any galaxies have a space background.

In the long run, I look back and I see Galaxy 2 as a transition that Galaxy has already started toward more linear games. Galaxy 2 upped the linearity, and I believe a lot of 3D Land's DNA comes from it, even using many assets. Many galaxies in the game look like levels that would come to appear in 3D Land and 3D World, having even less open areas than its predecessor. I'd say it's just as much 3D Land as it is SMG1.

Regardless, I think all in all it's an absolutely fucking fantastic game. Now the question is, will it appear in that Mario 3D collection?

So how do you feel now that SMG2 is 10?

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
SMG2 is game design perfected. It's constantly creative, often awe-inspiring and always fun. The highest rated game of the last decade and well deserved.

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
Nintendo PLEASE include the game in the compilation. Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 are my childhood.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One of the best games in video game history and it most likely won't be in the Super Mario All Stars 3D collection

Izamaru

Nov 27, 2018
Greece
The 2 mario galaxy games are by far the best 3d platformers i have ever played. Nothing even comes close! I cant wait to play them again on the switch

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
It's a good game, maybe my favorite Mario game. It does have a ton of filler though, but also some really good levels.

Yunsen

Oct 25, 2017
I always flip flopped this and Super Mario World as my favorite Mario game. After replaying SMW, I put it solidly behind Galaxy 2 and a little below Odyssey.

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
While I think Galaxy 1 was slightly better, Galaxy 2 still remains the apex of level design in a Nintendo game.

Last edited:

qssm

Oct 26, 2017
The best in the franchise. I really hope the next Mario is back to this level of creativity and fun with level design. Odyssey was for me very disappointing on that front.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
because it was the twilight of the wii's life i played very little of it but despite that i have nothing but effusive praise for the game

i loved that it cut the bullshit from Galaxy 1 but i can see why lack of hub/story cheapened it for some

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
To take a near-perfect game and to improve on it that much is a near-miraculous thing. The best to ever do it, if you ask me.

Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
One of the best games ever made.

It looks amazing in 4K with the community made HD texture pack in Dolphin:

That was the latest video I could find but it runs flawlessly now with no stutters

so-beautiful.gif

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
The best in the franchise. I really hope the next Mario is back to this level of creativity and fun with level design. Odyssey was for me very disappointing on that front.
Very this. Just an amazing game. The complaints I've seen for it either tend to try and make it into something it's not and shouldn't be, or only fit for a very small subset of the gaming population.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2018
I still never got the chance to play this or as Luigi right when I unlocked him in the first Galaxy because my little brother dropped my Wii. I'm still mad about that.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
One of the best games of all time and the nest Mario platformer. I loved every minute of this bad boy.

mingo

Oct 25, 2017
London
I was on holiday in NY when this came out. I woke up early in the morning on the day of my flight home to queue at the Nintendo Store at the Rockafella Centre to buy this!

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
it was 2010. most household wiis were collecting dust and headed toward the closet

though i probably didn't buy the game til late 2011 or early 2012 so maybe i'm speaking for myself

it released six months after new super mario bros. wii (and the first of eleven annual just dance titles...and counting) and six months before donkey kong country returns (and also, importantly, the kinect).

the wii was still going pretty strong in 2010. wii party, a top 10 wii title, wouldn't release until july of that year. it wasn't until 2011 that the wii sort of hit a brick wall, as nintendo clearly turned their attention to the 3ds and wii u. there was a long wait until skyward sword that November and then an even longer wait until the wii u a year later.

Syagrius

Apr 23, 2019
2010 was the absolute peak of the Wii. This one being my favorite of that year. Such an amazing game, best linear Mario game.

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
I replayed it not long ago and was annoyed by the waggle at Star bits even though it's something to do while jettisoning between planetoids. I'm curious to see how the updates / remakes handle it.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
it released six months after new super mario bros. wii (and the first of eleven annual just dance titles...and counting) and six months before donkey kong country returns (and also, importantly, the kinect).

the wii was still going pretty strong in 2010. wii party, a top 10 wii title, wouldn't release until july of that year. it wasn't until 2011 that the wii sort of hit a brick wall, as nintendo clearly turned their attention to the 3ds and wii u. there was a long wait until skyward sword that November and then an even longer wait until the wii u a year later.

fair enough but this was the cusp of consoles having a 4-5 year shelf life not being a normal thing. maybe i'm overstating its relative "age" but it was headed out to pasture. sort of ridiculous in retrospect but like you said the next year was kaput unless SS and just dance kept it thriving into the next decade. i'm guessing everybody moved onto kinect or CoD by then but i dunno

Luminary

Dec 28, 2019
I adored Galaxy but never gave G2 a proper shot. I really hope it's on the All-Stars pack, even as overpriced DLC.

because it was the twilight of the wii's life

I think of it that way too but actually it was released almost exactly three and a half years into the Wii's life -- the Switch hits 3 and a half this September and certainly doesn't feel twilighty.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
I never played this. I loved galaxy but for some reason this game eluded me and I still feel bad about it.

Cass_Se

Oct 25, 2017
Well, no game is perfect.... actually, scratch that. SMG2 is a perfect game, it's that one game in case of which there is literally nothing I could think of that would improve it. Just an amazing, joyful journey from start to finish that never ceases to surprise. And the green stars, which for some reason are often lambasted nowadays, are an amazing addition. I expected nothing after getting 120 stars and instead got 100+ additional little platforming challenges that I can tackle in any order. That was just a cherry on top that elevated SMG2 above any other game I played up to that point.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
One of my favorite games ever! I absolutely adore this game and had so much fun with it when it came out 10 years ago on my birthday.

Deleted member 51848

Jan 10, 2019
Also has the best music in any Mario ever IMHO. Yoshis galaxy just makes me wanna dance!