DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Alden Ehrenreich has been reflecting on his debut performance as a young Han Solo in Solo: A Star Wars Story, which was rocked by a traumatic production and was met with only a tepid response by audiences and critics alike.

Ehrenreich's portrayal as the titular character proved to be one of the most divisive elements of Solo. But that clearly hasn't impacted the 30-year-old's memories of making the film, which he called "an amazing adventure" during his recent discussion with Games Radar.

Ehrenreich is also overjoyed to see that Solo: A Star Wars Story's reputation has already started to improve, thanks to its addition to Disney +, which he believes is understandable considering the huge expectation that surrounded its initial release.

"For it to be able to be seen would take a second [viewing]. And I think that's borne itself out. And it really means a lot, and is wonderful, especially with kids, who are excited about it."

At the same time, though, Ehrenreich is also realistic about Solo being labelled a failure, as he admits that while it "didn't do as well as other Star Wars movies," it still "did well for a movie."

"It was kind of this medium thing. But that's not newsworthy. Even at high-level journalism, there's an intense pressure, sometimes, it feels like, to catastrophise or celebrate... And I think that's really f****** dangerous, especially when it pertains to the stuff that really matters, like the state of the world."

"An article headline that says 'things are complicated, and there are good sides and bad sides' isn't getting the emotional response. And I just think we really have to take a step back, and give a lot more thought to the way our emotions are being run by the stories we're getting inundated with."

More at:
www.yahoo.com

Alden Ehrenreich reflects on the divisive reaction to ‘Solo: A Star Wars Story’

Alden Ehrenreich has been reflecting on his debut performance as a young Han Solo in Solo: A Star Wars Story.

Lock if 190 years old

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Funny enough it was way more entertaining than the other Disney SW flicks minus TFA. I ain't got no bad blood with Solo.

Rise of Skywalker at least was much, much worse.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Surprisingly deep and nuanced take from a young-ish actor. Glad he wasn't soured on the experience. I didn't care for Solo, but sometimes it's okay if a mediocre movie gets mediocre reviews and mediocre returns, as long as the studio and IP don't go under you have room to improve.

futurevoid

Oct 25, 2017
I thought he was great as Solo. I like the movie more than Rogue One, frankly. Warts and all.

Nov 2, 2017
The movie that decided to take every single minute detail about a character and felt the need to explain ALL of them in an origin movie that was first a comedy, then rewritten and re-shot to be much, much blander wasn't good. Sorry Alden, it really wasn't.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Solo and Rogue One will age fine and actually be regarded as some of the best SW movies. All thanks in part to just how dogshit the sequels were.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
My biggest issue is that Solo tried to explain too many aspects of a pretty beloved character in a single film. Basically Han's entire backstory as told in the original trilogy takes place in the space of one film. It felt rushed... but, I think it's pretty damn entertaining, honestly.

Oct 27, 2017
Solo is a good movie. It's just that the main actor was given the impossible task of acting like Harrison Ford acting like Han. He is not a bad actor but he doesn't have the same charisma.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I thought both Star Wars Stories have been a lot of fun. I liked them quite a bit more than The Mandalorian, which seemed to be very well received.

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
Not his fault, but it was a movie that shouldn't have been made, full the overexplanatory dialogue we feared it would have

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
I thought it was the best Star Wars movie since the originals. Too bad it didn't do well and they won't continue it.

could have been written better at parts... especially how he got his fucking name. Stupidest thing ever lmao

dmshaposv

Oct 27, 2017
Rise of the skywalker was such hot garbage it retroactively made solo seems better than it is.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
He was fine enough as Han. Nothing special, but far from the biggest problem. The script and just concept as a whole was far more flawed and troublesome. It wasn't an outright bad movie, it was just OK but more so pointless.

Movie would have been 100x better had it just been an original film with original characters and not some Han Solo origin story. Just give us fucking tales from galaxy type shit.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
I have fallen WAY behind on the Star Wars movies.... Until last week I hadn't seen ANY of the new movies of the last 5 years. I'm glad I waited. We watched The Force Awakens with my 7 and 5 year olds and the LOVE Star Wars now. There were a few moments in the movie where I felt quite emotional seeing the old characters back together after so long, and also with my little ones liking it. We watched The Last Jedi yesterday, and they're looking forward to seeing the Rise Of Skywalker. These movies are SOOOOOOO much better than the prequel trilogy.

We're still watching the original trilogy with them before we hit the "in between" movies though.

Mutedpenguin

Dec 5, 2017
Biggest issue was he looked too old. If you're casting young Han you needed someone who looked significantly younger than Ford did...he didn't.

...plus the character was wasted on a movie. It would have been perfect for a long form Disney+ series.

Nov 11, 2017
It had a beginning, middle, end and character development, which makes it better than 90% of other modern blockbusters even if it was just OK.

Tugatrix

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
He did a competent job as solo, of the many short commings of the movie he wasn't one of them

Floex

Oct 27, 2017
Is it ok to say I had so low expectations for Solo I ended up enjoying it more than the two sequels of the new trilogy? 👀

Will agree tho it was near impossible task to match Fords charisma.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I like him. Can we get him as Baby in Baby Driver 2 to replace the pedo?

Oct 26, 2017
I liked him in the movie, but he never felt like Han to me. I would've preferred they made him his own character, but whatever sells I guess.

Felt like a wannabe Starlord

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I thought Solo was fine. It wasn't a great movie, but it was fine. That extends to his performance.

Also Emilia Clarke making a Masters of Teras Kasi reference was hilarious.

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
Is it ok to say I had so low expectations for Solo I ended up enjoying it more than the two sequels of the new trilogy? 👀

Will agree tho it was near impossible task to match Fords charisma.

It wasn't as good as Last Jedi IMO (a movie that gets far more hate than Solo ever did), but I still enjoyed it.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
It's a shame cause I think he did a good job, the issue is more that we got a movie nobody asked for.

It is difficult to feel suspense when the character literally can't die because it is a prequel.

Jan 3, 2018
I have fallen WAY behind on the Star Wars movies.... Until last week I hadn't seen ANY of the new movies of the last 5 years. I'm glad I waited. We watched The Force Awakens with my 7 and 5 year olds and the LOVE Star Wars now. There were a few moments in the movie where I felt quite emotional seeing the old characters back together after so long, and also with my little ones liking it. We watched The Last Jedi yesterday, and they're looking forward to seeing the Rise Of Skywalker. These movies are SOOOOOOO much better than the prequel trilogy.

We're still watching the original trilogy with them before we hit the "in between" movies though.

You started your kids experience with Star Wars with the Sequel Trilogy??

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
After Hail, Caesar! I thought Alden was destined for the big time. Would that it twere so simple...

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
The movie was ok.

Still would have preferred Anthony Ingruber over Alden. Anthony looks way more like young Ford, has his voice and mannerisms down pat, and did a great job in Age of Adeline for that purpose.

I never bought Alden as a young Han Solo because he was too different from Ford.

Dec 25, 2018
Personally enjoyed the 'A Star Wars Story' movies more so than the new trilogy and would have loved to see more of that (movies exploring the wider Star Wars universe). Though i think the biggest issue that may have impacted the production of all of them was Disney's need to fire them out so soon after the buyout like the MCU movies.

KadeYuy

Oct 30, 2017
I had a lot of fun with this movie. Film wise I think it's objectively pretty mediocre but as a big Star Wars fan I had fun just being in the world while wincing everyone they explained something dumb like his name.

probably not a good business decision but I'd be good with more mediocre movies in Star Wars lol.

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
Howard did a better job in 6 months with Solo than Abrams in 18 months with Rise. It's a fun film that works and comes together nicely.

Would love to see Howard get another shot at Star Wars but then from beginning to end.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
He was VERY shaky in the first act, but found him solid enough when he found his footing after the train heist

Solo was A-OK

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I feel the movie had the right idea: stop looking at Jedi and go look at the criminal underbelly of the universe.

The problem was that they had to frame it as a han solo film. The universe can survive without the fucking recurring characters.

Mars

Oct 25, 2017
Man, this movie wasn't even bad. It was a pretty entertaining film, plodding at times, sure. But not bad. His performance as Han was good.

DarkSora

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Loved it more than the sequel trilogy.

Still hoping they continue on the storyline of Maul and Daenarys.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The problem is young Han Solo was already young Harrison Ford. It was doomed to meet no one's expectations.

I also thought the writing was horrendous. Especially the bit about his name.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The failure of the New Trilogy makes Solo look better.

None of them hold a candle to Rogue One though. The one good new Star Wars movie. Fight me outside on Hoth.