• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 2171

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Halo 3 was broken at launch as well. Remember the hilariously bad melee system where the first person to melee doesn't win, rather the one with slightly more health.

That was a balance issue. Dummy glitching in Halo 2 not only meant that people were getting off the map, they were straight up going into parallel dimensions, grabbing your flag, and bringing it back through slipspace into their base.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There is a difirence between something that is broken and something that is just a shitty design. Halo 3's original melee system worked as Bungie intended, it was just a shitty design (like non-hitscan and random BR spread). Halo 2 was just a buggy mess!

That was a balance issue. Dummy glitching in Halo 2 not only meant that people were getting off the map, they were straight up going into parallel dimensions, grabbing your flag, and bringing it back through slipspace into their base.
Correct. When I said broken, I wasn't saying it was unintentional.

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Halo 2 has better aiming, better movement, faster and more dynamic gameplay, and better maps. Every encounter feels like you are in control of the outcome and theres always an out at ur disposal until the very second you die. With better graphics it would still feel modern. Honestly I could play it forever and I just might.

H2 Multiplayer with better graphics is already available in the collection, try the H2A: Team Arena Playlist.
It's H2 with best maps and gameplay but based on H4 graphics engine, revamped and restyled, in Native 4K + HDR @ steady 60fps and with no glitches/lag.

It's pure gold, and even vastly better looking than H5: Multi :)

Conflict

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
As a player in oceania I'm incredibly disappointed with the current population size and region locking. I've been trying to play every night since the patch came out and I can't get games in anything other than H3 Team Arena and Social Slayer. I've sat for an hour plus in BTB/H2A/H2C etc and found nothing. I was hoping game pass would give it a boost but nothing has changed.

I get 140ms to US servers, that's more than enough and way better than I had in the days of Halo 3, sort it out 343.

Last edited:

aember

Oct 26, 2017
Anybody else have issues with moving the camera? I loaded up H2A and it was like something was actively screwing around with my aiming. Stopping, jerking to a different direction, speeding up for no reason, etc.

Oct 27, 2017
As a player in oceania I'm incredibly disappointed with the current population size and region locking. I've been trying to play every night since the patch came out and I can't get games in anything other than H3 Team Arena and Social Slayer. I've sat for an hour plus in BTB/H2A/H2C etc and found nothing. I was hoping game pass would give it a boost but nothing has changed.

I get 140ms to US servers, that's more than enough and way better than I had in the days of Halo 3, sort it out Bungie.
Keep the region lock. Just let people tick a box that puts open region.

Anyway, finally played last night. It's nice to have classic halo on dedicated servers. Halo 2 is a glitch fest. I got assassinated by someone standing in front of me in a game where I couldn't hit the town hall clock so I do wonder if this is 100% region locked.

Apart from one or two games, I was mostly playing EU games that were a dream to play.

What is with the halo 4 hate? Apart from loadouts and drops, it plays well. Just remove those and we are golden.

One other thing halo 4 BTB maps are pretty damn good. They should have updated them for 5

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like it'd be better to just have a timeout that starts searching datacenters that are slightly farther away each time it times out, and if one's got a low population count, it should autosend people to the next datacenter, and so on
I don't want that though. As a European that has lived through the horrors of previous halos matchmaking. I.E 99% of the games hosted in the US, I would rather wait a bit longer for a local game than it pushing me to open region

Oct 28, 2017
Love this post and you are 100% right. Its baffling to me that H3 is the favorite child to like 75% of the Halo population. The game had aged terribly and is only slightly playable nowadays with MLG settings. I say this as someone with a 4 star general, a 50 in every playlist, and attended half a dozen H3 MLG events. Played the shit out of it for community and cuz there was nothing better at the time. Otherwise its garbage and always has been.

Halo 2 has better aiming, better movement, faster and more dynamic gameplay, and better maps. Every encounter feels like you are in control of the outcome and theres always an out at ur disposal until the very second you die. With better graphics it would still feel modern. Honestly I could play it forever and I just might.

Thank you. I too was a big Halo 2 player (something like 7000 matches played) and my interest in Halo fell way off after Halo 3 due to it being not very rewarding to get good at. Since it seems like you know what your talking about, is the reason Halo 3 feels so loose compared to Halo 2 because of it being a non hit scan game?

I think the reason people love/loved Halo 3 so much was because of how much of a complete package it was. The single player was arguably the best in the series, it had 4 player co-op, forge mode, theater mode, and the multiplayer was good for the time, with BTB being the major standout. Combine that with the zeitgeist surrounding Halo 3's launch, and its no surprise people remember the game so fondly. It was impressive for the time, but boy does it feel like shit lol.

Oh no

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I don't want that though. As a European that has lived through the horrors of previous halos matchmaking. I.E 99% of the games hosted in the US, I would rather wait a bit longer for a local game than it pushing me to open region

Same situation here. I think giving a choice is definitely the best option. Plenty of other games do it as well so hopefully it'll be something they can implement without too much hassle.

Terminus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Thank you. I too was a big Halo 2 player (something like 7000 matches played) and my interest in Halo fell way off after Halo 3 due to it being not very rewarding to get good at. Since it seems like you know what your talking about, is the reason Halo 3 feels so loose compared to Halo 2 because of it being a non hit scan game?

I think the reason people love/loved Halo 3 so much was because of how much of a complete package it was. The single player was arguably the best in the series, it had 4 player co-op, forge mode, theater mode, and the multiplayer was good for the time, with BTB being the major standout. Combine that with the zeitgeist surrounding Halo 3's launch, and its no surprise people remember the game so fondly. It was impressive for the time, but boy does it feel like shit lol.

Not the person you were quoting, but yes, that is absolutely the biggest factor. Ballistics modeling was a mistake. There's a reason they went back to predominantly hitscan with ballistics only where it made sense to do so, i.e. slower moving projectiles like rockets or plasma bolts.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not the person you were quoting, but yes, that is absolutely the biggest factor. Ballistics modeling was a mistake. There's a reason they went back to predominantly hitscan with ballistics only where it made sense to do so, i.e. slower moving projectiles like rockets or plasma bolts.
Ehhh, not really. There's a pretty massive middle ground between Halo 3 and hitscan. Plenty of games use projectile weapons these days to great success. Look at Battlefield, Fortnite, etc.

Plus, today's networking is a lot better, so I'd like for projectile weapons to return to Halo. No weapon has felt as fun and rewarding to shoot as the CE Pistol and Sniper imo. The Halo 3 Sniper is fun to use, except when you're getting blood shots lol.

Oct 27, 2017
Same situation here. I think giving a choice is definitely the best option. Plenty of other games do it as well so hopefully it'll be something they can implement without too much hassle.
Just people check a box. I'm sure that there are plenty of Europeans that have friends across the pond and vice versa. But for those that only want local games, leave us covered

Zubalon

Banned
Dec 11, 2017
If you mean the campaign then I'm with you, if you are talking about the multiplayer lolololololololololololololol no.
Graphics , art style , story telling are leagues better in 4.... 5 has the worst campaign by far to the point of laughter.... Halo 5 multiplayer while isn't bad ..its just not Halo... Clamber slide ..boost... Make it not Halo

brownmagic

Oct 25, 2017
I booted this up last night. I was shocked at how good Halo 4 looks, 343 are wizards to get that running on 360 hardware and 4k really let's it shine. Still don't like the gameplay as much as the others.

I've missed Halo. This is how MCC should have launched.

The Living Tribunal

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Halo 5 multiplayer while isn't bad ..its just not Halo... Clamber slide ..boost... Make it not Halo

So the spartan abilities everyone has, make Halo 5 not Halo, but you are ok with the loadouts, armor abilities and all the random shit going on in Halo 4?

tenor.gif

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I thought having ODST for free on one account on my XBOX would mean I have it for all accounts on my XBOX, but I guess it's gamertag specific.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
I know it's been said before, but H3 is in dire need of an FoV slider. It's so uncomfortable it's borderline unplayable.

Velikost

Oct 28, 2017
i literally cant imagine people sitting around a room saying "hey lets give away something cool to people who played the MCC, oh but not those suckers who paid for it when it was broken, fuck them."

There's usually an alternate method of entry to giveaways that don't require a purchase, and this one is no different. Relax

Rodeo Clown

Dec 14, 2017
343 killed the H2A playlist by adding way too many. Sad, since it was the best one.
It's the 29th most played game on Xbox Live right now, still a couple spots behind H5. So given they only have what's like a few thousand players each day, it's hard to understand the need for 14 matchmaking playlists. They're spreading a small player base too thin and it makes certain playlists total wastelands.

Chasex

Oct 29, 2017

There are so many factors I honestly feel like I could write a novel on this topic.

1. Aim acceleration
2. Projectile bullets
3. Random bullet spread
4. Floaty movement mechanics and low gravity
5. Horrible netcode

Whereas Halo 2 feels snappy and immediate, Halo 3 feels sluggish and laggy. I run out of adjectives to describe it but I once read somewhere that playing Halo 3 is like "ice skating on the moon". It's so true. But it's not just the movement, it's that everything is slow: changing weapons is slow, zooming in is slow, jumping is slow, reloading is slow, it's like the game can't keep up with your head. Halo 2 you can start and stop on a dime, zoom in immediately, switch weapons in an instant, and cancel out of animations if/when it's needed. Playing Halo 2 at a high level just requires so much more nuance and is so much more satisfying to master.

As far as Halo 3 goes, yeah it's the complete package in terms of features and really felt like it was the culmination of Bungie's vision. I can respect what it brought to the table, but the bottom line is the fundamental gameplay is not that great especially when compared to it's predecessor.

watdaeff4

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i literally cant imagine people sitting around a room saying "hey lets give away something cool to people who played the MCC, oh but not those suckers who paid for it when it was broken, fuck them."
Unfortunately this isn't exclusive just to MCC. It's a GamePass quest issue. Last fall I noticed a different time I "failed" to meet the GamePass quest completion because I actually owned the game (and wasn't just playing it via GamePass)

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
It's the 29th most played game on Xbox Live right now, still a couple spots behind H5. So given they only have what's like a few thousand players each day, it's hard to understand the need for 14 matchmaking playlists. They're spreading a small player base too thin and it makes certain playlists total wastelands.

I think they're trying to gauge interest across games/maps/modes now that the population has increased and probably dial it back to a few playlists where they feel they cover the majority of players.

Deleted member 2171

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So since I bought the game when it was broken I don't get a chance to win that awesome Xbox? That fucking blows.

CROSSPOSTING FROM HALO OT: You do not need to do ANY of the quest to enter this contest:

NO PURCHASE OR GAME PLAY NECESSARY. Legal residents of the 50 United States (D.C.), Canada (excluding Quebec) & the United Kingdom, 18 years or older. Promotion consists of a Prize Draw and a Special Offer. Both end 30 September 2018. For Official Rules, including how to enter Prize Draw without purchase or playing (available only to US, CA [except Quebec] and Northern Ireland), how to use Xbox Game Pass but opt-out of the Prize Draw, Prize Draw prize, odds and Special Offer details, visit https://bit.ly/2MqffDs. 1 Prize Draw prize (approximate retail value $1300 USD, £1010or $1680 CAD) available to be won. Void in Quebec and where prohibited.

The free entry method:

entry method said:
During the Promotion Period, to enter without purchase or playing, send an email to [email protected] with the subject line "Xbox Game Pass Quests Entry" and provide your name, valid email address associated with your Xbox Live account (if you have one), Xbox Live Gamertag, mailing address, and date of birth in the body of the email. Upon receipt of the email, you will receive one (1) entry into the Prize Draw.

Contests in the US are required by law to have a method of free entry, so use that one. (Yes, this applies to the Taco Bell / etc giveaways, too)

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
As far as Halo 3 goes, yeah it's the complete package in terms of features and really felt like it was the culmination of Bungie's vision. I can respect what it brought to the table, but the bottom line is the fundamental gameplay is not that great especially when compared to it's predecessor.

I wouldn't say the maps are that great either. The competitive standbys like Narrows and Pit are blocky and overly based on right angles, making them way less fun to move around on when compared to Halo 2's suite of circular maps (Middy, Sanc, Warlock). Guardian is also a grenade eating fiend with all the nooks and crannies and otherwise uneven surfaces. And don't get me started on shield doors...christ.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017

Hi Everyone - We wanted to share an update on ongoing work that's underway to try and alleviate some of the matchmaking issues players are experiencing in less populated regions (specifically areas like Australia, NZ, Asia, India, and parts of South America).Latency Tolerance Adjustment
On Wednesday, 9/5, the team deployed a configuration change to increase the latency tolerances for matchmade games. This change was made only to SOCIAL playlists for the time being. Now when matching, the latency tolerance increases over time, so players in low-population regions should give matchmaking a bit of extra time as MCC first tries to find games locally then eventually starts to fall back to other regions.We've heard from some players that this change has resulted in them being able to get into matches - although it did take some time. Other players have reported that this either resulted in inconsistent success or didn't improve their personal situation at all.A number of players on social and here in forums have asked for more information about the "latency tolerance", what this all means, and what else can be done. Here's some tech-talk direct from MCC Technical Director Greg Hermann:---------------------------------Currently in MCC we display ping times to all possible dedicated server regions. In practice, our builds are deployed to a subset of those regions due to availability. More specifically…

All regions: South Central US, North Central US, East US 2, Japan West, North Europe, West Europe, East Australia, Southeast Asia, Southeast Australia, South Brazil, West US, East US, Central US, East Japan, East Asia
Actual deployed regions: South Central US, North Central US, East US 2, Japan West, North Europe, West Europe, East Australia, Southeast Asia, Southeast Australia, South Brazil

The next MCC game update will filter the in-game ping list to display only the deployed regions. The information below is based on MCC's deployed regions:

Game latency
We worked with our internal QA teams around latency tolerances for MCC's game engines, and their general feedback is that we should try to stay at or under 100ms.
This also corresponds roughly to historical latency data / matchmaking tables from other Halo titles.

The Xbox Live latency rules we currently use base the allowable matchmaking datacenters on your lowest ping time. For example, in our office the lowest ping time I have is South US at 51ms.

The latency expansion rule is currently configured as:
60ms for 35 seconds
90ms for 10 seconds
120ms for 10 seconds
150ms beyond

Which for my connection will match these intervals: [51-111], then [51-141], then [51-171], then [51-201].
(For my local kit, this ultimately covers all possible dedicated server regions, but does require some waiting).

We recognize this expansion cycle, while following a more traditional pattern, takes time to expand and is suboptimal.

Based on player feedback we're planning to convert our ping times into more of a 'connection quality' metric in our next update.
The allowable servers for a user will be { anything under 100ms } + { all servers up to your nearest high population server }

Where a high population server is currently defined as anything in the US and Europe.

For example, for these ping times:
East Australia:66, Southeast Australia:74, West Japan:174, Southeast Asia:217,South Central US:230, East US 2:260,North Central US:263,North Europe:308, South Brazil:343,West Europe:353

The allowable regions the user will match on will be (<100ms):
East Australia:66,Southeast Australia:74

But then now ALSO:
West Japan:174, Southeast Asia:217,South Central US:230

As 'South Central US' is tagged as a high population server.
This no longer requires lengthy expansion cycles, and should significantly reduce wait times for players in lower population regions.

This change has been given the thumbs up from Test and we hope to roll it out soon.

We also understand that some datacenters like West US could significantly improve the play experience for cross-continent matchmaking, and we're working to get in there with MCC as soon as possible.