• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 18742

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So when is Reach going to be available on PC? I'm really antzy to play good damn Halo on good damn PC

And does it matter if I buy on Steam or Windows Store? Same pool of players? IDK if there is any massive downside on one or the other

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
I did not see steam coming at all. Shocked actually.
That being said, as I was at work and havent seen the stream, with the staggered releases, do we have to buy all the games indvidually as they release or can we just purchase the "HaloMCC" on say Steam and play/instal them them as they release? Can anyone clear that up for me?

This is totally guesswork on my part... but I think you'll download the MCC container through Steam (will be listed as F2P) and buy the games individually through your XBL account.

Though I guess there's the chance it's through steam, too. But my money is on XBL purchasing.

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
When is Reach coming out?

I have on XB. Can I download for PC in cross-play? Can I play PC vs XB with one game license?

Typhoon20

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What year do we think it is? Fortnite is bigger than Halo ever was.
On topic, hopefully it's a play anywhere title.

lol

3d0uhhnjft4viy9idqbdkbp.gif

Deleted member 4372

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am stunned, STUNNED, that I can buy this on Steam and avoid the Microsoft Store. Holy shit, that is amazing. I cannot wait!

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
What is the best MP on MCC so I can get some practice in.

Halo 2 is the best IMO. Halo 3 is also great and my personal favorite but the game doesn't have hitscan so the gunplay is really hard to get used to. Halo 2A is super easy but the gunplay is great. Halo 1 is great and probably the hardest to get good at. Halo 4 is not good

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
If you say Halo games coming to Steam in 2010 or so, you'd be tagged as crazy lol.

I'm not a fan of FPS games like this, but Halo is a legendary franchise and this is such a great move by MS, so I might support it later down the line to show them that this is the right move.

Lom1lo

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a way for them to circumvent the steam cut ? Seems like a bad move releasing everything on steam. Just fix the store and the file format and there is no need to release it elsewhere ?

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
A small wishlist:
  • Separate, adjustable values for camera and viewmodel FOV
  • Choice between centered and offset reticle (like in Destiny 2 and Far Cry 5's PC releases)
  • Unlocked framerate and full support for exclusive and borderless fullscreen
  • More modern anti-aliasing options, like TAA (this would be appreciated)
  • Support for 4:3 aspect ratios in case I decide I want to plug in a VGA cable and use an old CRT monitor to pretend I'm playing the Halo CE Trial on a high school desktop

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
I just hope there is a way to make the motion blur in Reach nicer on PC or turn it off altogether, it always had a ghosting/afterimage effect that was distracting

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
I did not see steam coming at all. Shocked actually.
That being said, as I was at work and havent seen the stream, with the staggered releases, do we have to buy all the games indvidually as they release or can we just purchase the "HaloMCC" on say Steam and play/instal them them as they release? Can anyone clear that up for me?
We know you can buy them individually if you want to, but the fact there's a single page and listing for the Halo MCC on Steam probably means you'll at least have the option to buy them all in a bundle.

Zeta Ori

Oct 25, 2017
NY
Halo....on PC....and on Steam?!?! 😲

Can you imagine if this leads to steam workshop mods being made available for Xbox players? I would have enough Halo content to last a lifetime if the modding scene picks up...steam.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
I just want to say - I was gone for this announcement - but this shit is just the best. So happy to get this and on Steam. Bravo MS. Bravo.

NOW IT IS TIME TO REMEMBER REACH

Deleted member 4372

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully custom server browser means there will be someone out there who will put up a Regicide on Infinity Halo 4 server so I can never get any work done again ever.

Kas'

Oct 26, 2017
Brilliant move by MS by bringing it to Steam. Expand that audience. Fuck I'm getting hyped for some Halo. Haven't had an Xbox in awhile but I'll get one soon hopefully.

Interested to see the release schedule. Hope 3 comes soon after Reach since it's the better game (although Reach is solid af).

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
Always had a softspot for Halo. Glad to have the chance to experience the games I haven't played for myself.

Kas'

Oct 26, 2017
Also a smart preemptive move because I think we could see Epic Games join forces with Google. Microsoft and Steam will need each other if that happens. What a world.

HTupolev

Oct 27, 2017
I think it was their AA solution that blended multiple frames that also contributes to that ghosting.
Yes. Reach's temporal AA solution shuts off blending at pixels where it detects significant motion, but it's somewhat limited in how it detects motion. Object animation frames are not generally picked up as per-pixel movement. Cutscenes often have big animated objects (characters) doing stuff close to cameras that are sitting still, so no motion is detected and everything blends.

In-game this is much less of a problem, since there aren't usually big animated things close to camera, and the camera is usually moving (making the antialiasing simply turn off).

The motion blur doesn't look very smooth, though, either.

Jan 2, 2018
Stinkles Seriously,thank you and 343i for making this happen- this is like,I dunno,the kind of wild PC gaming dreams I wouldn't even dare to have a few years ago,and while I had MCC on XBO since day 1,I can't help myself but be excited for the Steam release on PC,
because this is where Halo stated for me as an 7yo kid,on PC (:
Also,Reach,now it means I would have to experience the epilogue again..