nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
I forgot there was a separate thread for just Halo.

Completed Infinite with my 6-year-old on normal after we've been playing mp for awhile. Tons of fun.

Decided, let's keep it going and jumped into MCC and played Halo CE, for some reason he picked easy this time. I was worried about the Flood being scary, but he handled them and Hunters and loved the warthog conclusion. He drove, and boarded the longsword with 1 second left on the clock.

Now we're only Halo 2, back on normal. Having fun so far, just landed and making our way towards Regret.

It was jarring though seeing Johnson. Does the game ever explain how he survived? I saw there was some outside material.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017

Completed Infinite with my 6-year-old on normal after we've been playing mp for awhile. Tons of fun.

Decided, let's keep it going and jumped into MCC and played Halo CE, for some reason he picked easy this time. I was worried about the Flood being scary, but he handled them and Hunters and loved the warthog conclusion. He drove, and boarded the longsword with 1 second left on the clock.

Now we're only Halo 2, back on normal. Having fun so far, just landed and making our way towards Regret.

It was jarring though seeing Johnson. Does the game ever explain how he survived? I saw there was some outside material.
Nope you gotta read the book. Typical 343 move /s

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada

In-game, no. But in the 'Halo: First Strike' novel, Chief finds survivors among the wreckage of Installation 04, including Johnson (they found a pelican and escaped the ring before Chief blew it up). They hijack a covenant ship, return to Reach where they rescue a few other important characters (including other Spartans) and hijack another ship (human built), and finally they manage to destroy an entire invasion fleet headed for Earth before heading there themselves.

As for how Johnson survived the flood, the very basic explanation is he's more resistant to the flood because of his Orion background (basically the Spartan-I project), with the augmentations he underwent messed with his nervous system and made it substantially harder for the Flood to infect him. There was a one-shot comic that showcased how he escaped.

Halsey discovered the anomaly, where Johnson actually had some Flood biomass in his bloodstream after his encounter on Alpha Halo, which gave him minor regenerative abilities. She gave the data to Chief to decide whether to give the information to ONI or not. Giving the info over would have killed Johnson, as they'd have experimented on him to his death at the benefit of humanity as a whole. Chief obviously chose to destroy the data.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
As for how Johnson survived the flood, the very basic explanation is he's more resistant to the flood because of his Orion background (basically the Spartan-I project), with the augmentations he underwent messed with his nervous system and made it substantially harder for the Flood to infect him. There was a one-shot comic that showcased how he escaped.
Isn't there something about plasma exposure too? I'm sure I remember the book mentioning a condition that made you immune to the flood, which was super rare but could be caused by repeated proximity to plasma grenade explosions.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
That's what I saw on YouTube. Some experiments and biological changes made him more resistant.

It was just weird finishing Halo, "no survivors." And starting Halo 2 and he's there getting metals and no explanation. Easy to assume he found a way, but jarring with no explanation.

OP
OP
FUNKNOWN iXi

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That's what I saw on YouTube. Some experiments and biological changes made him more resistant.

It was just weird finishing Halo, "no survivors." And starting Halo 2 and he's there getting metals and no explanation. Easy to assume he found a way, but jarring with no explanation.
Now that you have this knowledge, you can help enlighten Bungie fanboys as if the Bungie games didn't have nonsensical contrivances in the name of Cool TM lol.

Last edited:

Xwing

This guy are sick of the unshakeable slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Isn't there something about plasma exposure too? I'm sure I remember the book mentioning a condition that made you immune to the flood, which was super rare but could be caused by repeated proximity to plasma grenade explosions.

The plasma grenade exposure disease thing is just a cover story for his augmentations.

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

As others mentioned Johnson's immunity and how he escaped the first ring is explained outside the game and this is one of those types of things that should be addressed in a remake if they did one.

HTupolev

Oct 27, 2017
Does the game ever explain how he survived?
No, because Johnson isn't really a character in Halo CE. The name "Johnson" is associated in the credits with his voice actor, but that's true of a bunch of other non/pseudo-characters. In the Halo CE campaign, he's just one of two stock sarges, who sometimes spawn interchangeably. At the time, he wasn't "Johnson", he was the black sergeant. The character did exist in concept at the time, but the implementation didn't really make it.

To this day I find it bewildering that Bungie decided to lampshade his survival with the Armory dialogue in Halo 2. It made no sense: EU gamers didn't need the lampshade because they had an explanation, and non-EU gamers didn't need the lampshade because there was no continuity to explain. The lampshade does nothing but call attention to something that didn't need attention called to it.

(This is also why it's ridiculous when people claim that Bungie screwed up by allowing "multiple Johnsons" to coexist, or by allowing "Johnson" to die in the game. It's a retroactive observation that makes no sense when looking at Halo CE on its own terms.)

OP
OP
FUNKNOWN iXi

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine if Johnson returns in a future game and we have no idea why. He doesn't have his memories either, he's just a Sgt. with a random group of marines somewhere.

Through Compelling Storytelling TM, it's revealed that the Johnsons we knew were clones.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
Finished Halo 2. Probably start 3 soon. I think we'll go through 5 and then do either Reach or ODST.

There are a few things story wise I need to brush up on. But it's been a fun ride that I didn't think would happen for maybe more years.

He's still learning to read, but even build small things in Forge. His Minecraft skills still top that though.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Think we're getting a Halo 5 Anniversary next year?

That's right 10 years.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Why 343i has never invested in fun modes like this where you can play as different Covenant I'll never know. Not to beat a dead horse, but Halo veering so hard into the competitive space was such a huge mistake.
yeah, it should have always been a sandbox experience that is open for options to make it competitive, shouldn't be competitive by default imho.

Also make the vehicles not suck ass already, making vehicle health was a mistake.

OP
OP
FUNKNOWN iXi

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Jan 4, 2018
Why 343i has never invested in fun modes like this where you can play as different Covenant I'll never know. Not to beat a dead horse, but Halo veering so hard into the competitive space was such a huge mistake.

The reason is simple. Out of touch, listening to the wrong persons, etc...

"It's cool to kinda see the team continue to iterate on things that the community loves, the esport players have been heavily involved in what we're doing, cause we know that's a strong part of the community, the professional players."

www.nme.com

“The multiplayer in ‘Halo Infinite’ I think is going to be special,” says Xbox boss

Phil Spencer hints that Microsoft has something special in store for the multiplayer mode of ‘Halo Infinite’, which is set to launch this Holiday season.

OP
OP
FUNKNOWN iXi

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Feel like the Halo community on here has argued for years about 343's decisions re: Halo MP balance etc, to the minutest detail, and now it's 'yeah we wanted lolcrazy modes all along?'. Suddenly months of agonised chat about radar, sprint, POV, weapon tuning, 'shit maps' is, 'eh, we're were all just passing time til Grifball 2.0'.

I know there's been desire for broader stuff, I'm partly tongue in cheek, but feels like a distinct 'wtf' moment to see the sentiment that actually Infinite's (superb) competitive bit was 'not what we wanted anyway', especially alongside a (yes, late) Forge that surpasses all others for 'lolcrazy', outside of modding.

OP
OP
FUNKNOWN iXi

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Feel like the Halo community on here has argued for years about 343's decisions re: Halo MP balance etc, to the minutest detail, and now it's 'yeah we wanted lolcrazy modes all along?'. Suddenly months of agonised chat about radar, sprint, POV, weapon tuning, 'shit maps' is, 'eh, we're were all just passing time til Grifball 2.0'.

I know there's been desire for broader stuff, I'm partly tongue in cheek, but feels like a distinct 'wtf' moment to see the sentiment that actually Infinite's (superb) competitive bit was 'not what we wanted anyway', especially alongside a (yes, late) Forge that surpasses all others for 'lolcrazy', outside of modding.
Halo community argues about everything at all times. Just depends on where and when you're looking.

But for those modes you're referring to, I think everyone recognizes the importance of having them to diversify the gameplay offering. Even the most competitive players enjoy casual modes.

And everyone should hate radar.

Kibbles

Oct 25, 2017
I keep getting easy anti cheat not installed while trying to play Infinite off the Xbox App. I tried everything google tells me to, deleting it and repairing install. Fucking hell this game....

Coolduderedux

Oct 25, 2017
For anyone that cares, we're getting new modes to infinite. VIP is being added with the new operation. Also, later in that 'season,' they are bringing back my favorite mode, headhunter!

Why they waited so long to add modes is beyond me, but headhunter is ALMOST enough to get me to jump back in.

OP
OP
FUNKNOWN iXi

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ooo Headhunter is fun, hopefully I'll find matches among the dozens of other players who will have it selected.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
Game pass expired so we couldn't play coop "online" but changed the network to LAN.

Not sure if it was a coincidence or not.. But half way through missing had a network error, lag and disconnected. 🤷‍♂️

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
Finished Halo 4 coop.

Through the whole play it felt like there was a minor lag/delay but I was able to deal with it. My kiddo was the party leader of that matters and we played with network to LAN after game pass expired.

I'm not sure why, but the last 2-3 missions were choppy.

Didact fight was weird. The button prompt appeared correct, but kiddo said they had to mash the button to make it work.

Also, shield beeping was going the whole time, and for some reason the Didact voice audio was missing.

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
Think we're getting a Halo 5 Anniversary next year?

That's right 10 years.

Late, but they didn't do 3 Anniversary or 4. I could maybe see that as a way to do a PC release, but I'm pretty doubtful, especially given the rumors seem to be another CE remake. I'd they're on full on nostalgia pander mode, they probably aren't gonna remind one of one of their least popular campaigns.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Never forget

Sat-Jun-27-14-23-58-PDT-2015.png

Solidpanic

Oct 28, 2017
Wow that is amazing. I always wanted a 3rd person Halo and this looks like it would have scratched that itch! Microsoft once again shooting themselves in the foot by not branching out the Halo brand.

Banamy

Oct 27, 2017
I was arguing with my friend because I put halo infinite as the best art style of every halo game. It just looks so goooood.

HTupolev

Oct 27, 2017
byNailz has been attacking the Halo 3 full-game legendary speedrun, and three days ago, he posted a run that was just two seconds faster than his time from last December. With a gap of nine months, the world record went from 1:08:13 to 1:08:11.

Today, he posted a new record that not only cracked 1:08, but blew right through 1:07:

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

The same guy also cracked the hour barrier on Infinite legendary last month:

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.