• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you expecting big changes to the formula?

• Yes, big sweeping changes

Votes: 294 58.0%
  • Yes, some minor changes

Votes: 128 25.2%
  • No, same old Halo, just new look

Votes: 85 16.8%

• Total voters

Superman2x7

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
After the crazy rumor about the budget for Halo Infinite being around $500 million, it got me thinking about the game again. Clearly that rumor has been debunked already, but we know Microsoft is putting a ton of money into this new entry. A brand new engine in the Slip Space engine, and it looks gorgeous. I actually went back and watched the reveal trailer again, and boy do i get goosebumps when the music hits that iconic chord and we see the M. C.

As the poll asks, what are we expecting in the game? They've been a lot of rumors going around regarding the game. One rumor mentioned the ability to have dialogue options, another one mentioned some light RPG mechanics. The one thing we know, i'ts going to be an open world game. I'm so intrigued as to how they're going to pull this off. That trailer really seems like their going to reinvent the series in a major way, yet it also seems to have a huge Combat Evolve vibe. I'm hoping the wild life remains, I don't need to shoot deer and rhino, but it would be awesome to be startled by an animal as your exploring this world.

BackwardCap

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
We've been ready to know what the game actually is since its announcement. I don't get excited over titles by name alone.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get why people wouldn't want a shake up. You've had enough of the same. Let's get wild. Gears needs it as well.

Stryder

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
US
We don't even know what kind of game it's going to be yet. This might not even be story driven halo game and might be GaaS similar to Destiny. Did they say anything about this game other than it exists and it's a halo game?

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
As long as they don't drastically change things, I'm more than excited. "Open Word' sounds like a terrible idea for me. Especially if it's hub based.
Keep the game mission based and just open up the mission levels to have more like "Halo" and the second level in Halo 2.

That being said, I also don't want to see too much of it this year, as I'd prefer them to keep the hype for Gears first.

Oct 29, 2017
Dunno what it is, but Halo is a franchise that has always been dear to my heart. So I'm looking forward to whatever it is, and hope that it's new and interesting.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
We don't know for a fact that it is open world, I'm expecting a shake up for campaign however. Competitive multiplayer though, I think they'll try to keep it somewhat similar to Halo 5 since it was pretty well received.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Would love to see Halo back at the top again - but we dont know enough to be really excited at this point.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Same old Halo" is kind of a meaningless phrase imo. A "Same Old Halo" would be very refreshing at this point!

I'm ready. I expect a streamlining and revert to simple, while retaining some modernizations.

OP
OP
Superman2x7

Superman2x7

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I don't get why people wouldn't want a shake up. You've had enough of the same. Let's get wild. Gears needs it as well.

From the little they've shown of Gears, I feel like that series is moving in a very different direction than the prequels. Yes, it's still a Gears game, but focusing on Kat and opening up the environments as well as the varied environments they shown will definitely change the feel of the game.

On Halo: I love the series, but we've had over 5 games that followed in the same structure, it is time for a shakeup and the rumors that are floating around some pretty cool to me.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
M y biggest worry is map design because 5's map designs were boring. Not as godawful as Reach but damn

qatak

Oct 27, 2017
I would love for it to be a mix of confidently slow (like rdr2) but with Halo controls and a story that doesn't revolve around some alien baddies trying to destroy the world.

Honestly, the Infinite trailer and the RDR2 debit trailer really remind me of each other. Heavy focus on vistas, wildlife, and minutae of the world at large. Here's hoping!

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
In order for Halo to return to relevance in the FPS market, it will be radically different from any previous Halo. Halo 5 proved to me that the type of game that 343i set out to make, while arguably one the best of the series, just doesn't resonate with gamers nowadays. As someone who loves the Halo franchise, I hate to see it slowly fade into irrelevancy I feel that making drastic changes is necessary for the survival of the franchise. After the release of the most recent God of War as well as the changes that Black Ops 4 brought to the franchise (which imo is the best COD MP we've had this generation), I think developers who are willing to take this risk and can execute well, breathe new life into their franchises and give it the ability to resonate with an entire new generation of gamers who might otherwise ignore it. I realize my opinion is probably in the minority given how passionate the OG Halo fanbase is but as someone who has played the game since CE, I don't think there's any other way.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
We've had more of the same for a long time now. If I want old-school Halo, I'll just play MCC.

I wouldn't mind an open world Halo as long as it still feels like Halo at its core. Fuck, I'll go as far as saying that I wouldn't mind if it had a splash of Borderlands, with all sorts of different weapon combinations. For the campaign / non-PVP stuff, at least.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Mine!

I'm ready for whatever it turns out being, I've loved every game in the series so far, and it's been way too long since Halo 5.

Oct 17, 2018
I'll be ready for it if they remove Sprint, ADS, Recoil, Wall Clambering, and Spartan Abilities from RANKED playlists. Don't care if they keep it for the social playlists.

Otherwise I probably won't buy it.

Yaqza

Oct 27, 2017
I am awaiting the moment when people start seeing the difference between "whose" and "who is".

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
In order for Halo to return to relevance in the FPS market, it will be radically different from any previous Halo. Halo 5 proved to me that the type of game that 343i set out to make, while arguably one the best of the series, just doesn't resonate with gamers nowadays. As someone who loves the Halo franchise, I hate to see it slowly fade into irrelevancy I feel that making drastic changes is necessary for the survival of the franchise. After the release of the most recent God of War as well as the changes that Black Ops 4 brought to the franchise (which imo is the best COD MP we've had this generation), I think developers who are willing to take this risk and can execute well, breathe new life into their franchises and give it the ability to resonate with an entire new generation of gamers who might otherwise ignore it. I realize my opinion is probably in the minority given how passionate the OG Halo fanbase is but as someone who has played the game since CE, I don't think there's any other way.

Halo 5 changed the MP as much as you can without it just not being Halo anymore.

Halo 5's problem was the campaign by far. The MP itself was one of the best we've gotten.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
We don't even know what kind of game it's going to be yet. This might not even be story driven halo game and might be GaaS similar to Destiny. Did they say anything about this game other than it exists and it's a halo game?

Chief is the focus.

4 player splitscreen is back

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
I'll be ready for it if they remove Sprint, ADS, Recoil, Wall Clambering, and Spartan Abilities from RANKED playlists. Don't care if they keep it for the social playlists.

what ADS? It's still zoom, just a slightly different version of it.

Unless you also want to remove zoom from the game?

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Only if this is an actual return to what made halo special again. If its more of the 343 take on halo thats just expanding on reach na, not for me.

what ADS? It's still zoom, just a slightly different version of it.

Unless you also want to remove zoom from the game?
Na, ADS in 343 halo decreases movement speed while descreasing bullet spread. Another example of dehanced mobility.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I want big sweeping changes that also goes back to roots. I've been playing a lot of Halo recently since some friends finally got an Xbox. Right now my main wants are

- Better All-Around MP.
Don't get me wrong, Halo 5 MP is fun. However, it's only fun in either the creative aspect (Playing stuff like the wipeout or skeeball is fun) or smaller team based games (Team Slayer of Small Objective Based). Big Team Battle just doesn't feel right in this game and it's something I hope they fix. Aside from that, would like the MP maps made in forge to not stick out so much. I know Halo 2 Anniversary is newer than Halo 5, but it's crazy playing the two game back to back.

- More solve it yourself campaign
This is vague, but it effectively just means calling back to Halo 1 and 2. In those games you could find crafty ways of doing things. Want to shove a warthog where it shouldn't so you can have additional firepower? You can! Halo 3 and later titles started getting away from this and I think it hurt the series main Campaigns more than anything. Halo 5 brought this back somewhat on certain maps, but i'd like to see more of it in Infinite. It's dumb to say, but I want the campaign to be Halo: BOTW in-terms of there being many ways to get through things. If I want to stack 12 boxes to jump over a wall instead of doing a bunch of stuff to deactivate it. Let me.

ced

Oct 27, 2017
4 and 5 stunk for me (campaign), seems like they know it so I'm hopeful for something good.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Halo 5 changed the MP as much as you can without it just not being Halo anymore.

Halo 5's problem was the campaign by far. The MP itself was one of the best we've gotten.
While I like Halo 5's MP, more of the same in the current market just won't do anything to help the franchise get back on top.
Halo 6 need to be drastically different even if it sacrifices some of the core of what makes Halo unique.

Seppala

Oct 27, 2017
I'm hoping for a Metroidvania style Halo on a Halo ring. In that way you could incorporate the classic Halo formula with traditional levels with an open world hub where you have to find keys and upgrades to get access to said levels.

Pitchfork

Oct 28, 2017
England
Halo 5 controls (No change needed here imo), More (Hopefully all) Chief, Larger more open levels, better story, better enemies and throw in some space flight combat!

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I mean if it's actually good then I'll be ready for it

but no one in the public knows that yet

Kratos2013

Jan 25, 2018
I always thought the Halo ring environment had so much more to offer as a location. Halo CE left me wanting to explore more and to learn more about it. I'd like Halo Infinite to scratch that itch and deliver an experience that is interesting story-wise and freeing to roam around.

Flash

Oct 27, 2017
I expect Halo to make fundamental changes to the game play and mechanics. Also expect it to release on PC which will add longevity to the title. For a person that has strayed further and further away from console titles due to console limitations, I am glad Xbox is taking PC gamers seriously.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Who knows if we are truly ready? 2 months until we know more and I'm very much looking forward to it.

Hoping for some ViDoc's and/or The Sprint episodes. Always enjoyed those.

Glimpse_Dog

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Agreed. I'm hoping for a Halo renaissance but the things you listed are deal breakers if they're in the game. No 4 player split screen would make me consider not buying too.

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Does anyone hope this is the swan song for Master Chief, i kind of hope this is his final game and he ends it on a great note?

banter

Jan 12, 2018
I'm ready for the to be like, "LOOK OUT FOR HUGE CHANGES!" and then when they show the change we'll all be like... that's not a big change at all...

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Agreed. I'm hoping for a Halo renaissance but the things you listed are deal breakers if they're in the game. No 4 player split screen would make me consider not buying too.

They've already said split screen is confirmed, and as for the list, Halo 5 didn't have ADS, so not sure why that's on there.

the other abilities, barring sprint, I think simply add to the experience. For example, what's wrong clamber?

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
I'm interested to see what direction it's going in, but I've been perfectly frank about my belief that Halo needs to go back to what made it famous.