• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Septy

Prophet of Truth
Nov 29, 2017
United States
I think the general idea of the wear and tear on the armor is there. The edges have the paint rubbed off the front chest has a large scuff mark. In Halo 2 there's not the same amount of visual clarity or polygons, things had to be exaggerated to get the point across. What worked might not translate as well with better image quality. Plus I really like the idea of the armor taking cumulative damage throughout the game and you have to start at a baseline to illustrate that change.
It worked fine in Halo 3, Reach, and H2A though

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I kinda hope you start the game with the newer looking armor, and by the end it's more scratched up, with paint chipping and fading.

I still hope there is a companion trailer for this soon, that shows a bit more. After the trailer from e3 last year, and the long silent wait, this feels a bit underwhelming (though the trailers both were great on their own).

Deleted member 55421

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 29, 2019
Got me thinking, maybe the reasoning for using old armor is cause the new one is more easily "traceable" by certain people, like maybe the UNSC or cortana?

Oct 28, 2017
I quite liked this. It's enough to add mystery about how the story got to where it is. I've gotta assume that this trailer isn't quite in order and that Chief approaching Cortana is going to lead to the ring blowing up. That means this is more of a mission 3 or so cutscene. To me, "spiritual reboot" means we're going back to one Halo ring and a mystery to solve. I'm 100% on board with that.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes but they have to explain it in the game. They cant just go back to it and not mention why his armor is the old one now, 2 years later.

It's a new armor in an old style. There you go.

The only Halo game that explained visual changes well was Halo 2.

Halo 3 had slightly different armor. In Halo 4 the armor is drastically different and we were just told Cortana somehow made mods on it while chief was in cryo.

Just let it happen bro

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I would prefer they don't feel the need to explain everything lore or story wise. It leads to them having to justify every change which could lead to them not changing things that need to change in fear of not being able to justify it.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yes but they have to explain it in the game. They cant just go back to it and not mention why his armor is the old one now, 2 years later.
I mean they added ADS to the game when the lore already stated that scopes were hooked directly into spartan visors and didn't bring any mention of why it was different in 5 then in other games so I think they'll be ok just doing it without mention. Wouldnt be the first time the design and rules of the universe have clashed.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
did they do the thing again where you're missing out on a lot of story if you didn't read some book (ie some kind of non-game media) that details the events between halo 5 and this game?

Deleted member 55421

Banned
Mar 29, 2019
They need to explain why the people in the original are all angular and poorly animated too.

What is the canon reason for this?

In Halo4, one of the first things cortana says is how she upgraded his armor while in cryosleep. Its literally at the beginning of the game. But yeah, lets not explain this huge downgrade now. Not important.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
In Halo4, one of the first things cortana says is how she upgraded his armor while in cryosleep. Its literally at the beginning of the game. But yeah, lets not explain this huge downgrade now. Not important.

And yet the opening video of Halo 4 shows Pre-CE events with the Halo 4 armor.

It's just artistic direction, not a different set of armor. I think the line is even "I upgraded your suit's firmware", not that there were physical changes.

Last edited:

btags

Oct 26, 2017
Gaithersburg MD
They need to explain why the people in the original are all angular and poorly animated too.

What is the canon reason for this?
When forerunner tech is awakened it slowly improves motor function and increases evolutionary speed/design prowess of organisms they are in contact with. Meeting 343 GS started this process in Halo CE. This was greatly accelerated in halo 4 with the awakening of the didact, hence the change in the appearance of nearby forerunner tech as well.

Deleted member 1238

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That explanation is one of the most laughed at pieces of Halo lore. They'd be better off just treating it like an art style change, which is what it is.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

lol I'd rather no explanation and have it just be art direction/game design versus "I magically changed your armor while you were frozen in a tube. Nano machines or something. idk"

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019
Hopefully they keep the edges of the visor transparent like in this trailer. Hated how the visor in Halo 4/5 killed my peripheral view and FOV.

Oct 26, 2017
The armor in the trailer is Mjolnir Gen III; Chief's armor in 1-3 was Gen I Mk. V and VI, and in Halo 4 it was modified by nanomachines to explain the change in art direction. Spartan IVs had Gen II armor, so this is the latest iteration and not a downgrade.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
did they do the thing again where you're missing out on a lot of story if you didn't read some book (ie some kind of non-game media) that details the events between halo 5 and this game?

They need to drop this shit immediately if that's what they're thinking. Your standalone product should not require people to read a bunch of random books for a coherent story.

Excited to see what the half dozen warden eternal boss fights look like in this new engine.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
I mean they added ADS to the game when the lore already stated that scopes were hooked directly into spartan visors and didn't bring any mention of why it was different in 5 then in other games so I think they'll be ok just doing it without mention. Wouldnt be the first time the design and rules of the universe have clashed.
Yeah I think it's usually better not to explain something. They didn't explain smart link other than saying it was the same thing that's always been there just a game difference not lore difference. They didn't explain Chief's armor in 4 other than Cortana updating BIOS or some shit. So why start now? Plus explanations are usually contrived and take you out of it more than just accepting a stylistic change. Star Trek tries to explain why Klingons look different and it's always awful. It's because makeup, prosthetics and effects are better than they used to be, don't need in-universe explanations.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some things deserve to be explained like alien species changing and whatnot but art direction should just do what it wants.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
i think showing more of that scene in the forerunner environment would have been a better way to "Wow" people. its easy to miss all the crazy detail when it's in such a cramped and unspectacular place. I really love the way they used that space cinematically though, and it does look objectively stunning in the hd vod.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
tdgm4U9.jpg

Man. I dig this color change someone made to the armor. It doesn't overly dull the green but makes it just look nicer.

ItsBobbyDarin

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Egyptian residing in Denmark

iT wAs nOT AdS BuT SmArTsCoPe !1!1!!

343i really got us there. That was a direct lie, and I cannot fathom why they held on to that when it obviously was ADS. They even lied when saying that ADS would have no effect on bullet spread... But it did. SMH.

And yet the opening video of Halo 4 shows Pre-CE events with the Halo 4 armor.

It's just artistic direction, not a different set of armor. I think the line is even "I upgraded your suit's firmware", not that there were physical changes.

One of the best cutscenes in the franchise. Sadly it was just... Forgotten? Nothing was iterated on this, we don't know why Halsey was interrogated, who that man was, etc.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
tdgm4U9.jpg

Man. I dig this color change someone made to the armor. It doesn't overly dull the green but makes it just look nicer.

It's still really early. Keep in mind Halo 3's E3 In-Engine trailer featured DESERT CHIEF

h3_e32006_ChiefVisor.jpg
\

Not to mention the color change from Halo 2 to 3. The made cheifs green much darker. Looks like we're going back to Halo 2 green

Dec 25, 2018

Theres actually been very little Expanded Universe Content released after Halo 5 that takes place after its ending.

Could be wrong but so far the novel Bad Blood is the only piece of Halo EU media released that takes place immediately after Halo 5s ending. It starts with moving Osiris and Blue team back to the Infinity and from there follows Buck on an adventure with his old ODST crew offering glimpses of the immediate consequences of Cortana's hostile takeover. With the supposed time gap a lot could happen in that time to get to the point where Infinite starts, but again there's been little to no info on what's been happening with Chief, Halsey, The Infinity and The Created situation outside of theories being put together from the bits of info in the two Infinite Trailers. Either its being dealt with in-game (hopefully) or the media that does is being readied for Infinites marketing cycle whenever that starts.

Oct 25, 2017
Milford, PA
Not sure I know how I feel about this. Towards the end, it looks like he is picking up Cortana to put her back in the chip. Based on her dialog, seems right. I just dont know how you can explain all the death and destruction shes caused. Such a stupid move. The only thing that makes sense is if she split somehow. She cant just go back to being good.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
hasley is going to say in a cutscene that she has been waiting to do X to his armor. since she learned stuff while being with the covie and forerunner. itll be summed up within 2-3 sentences. imo

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Chills.

HALOINFINITE_E319_TWTR_Ring.gif

One of the best cutscenes in the franchise. Sadly it was just... Forgotten? Nothing was iterated on this, we don't know why Halsey was interrogated, who that man was, etc.

I thought the "trilogy" was going into the whole idea of a mass produced hero with the Spartan IVs. Something I thought was foreshadowed when Cortana talked about the UNSC being able to make another model of her that still wouldn't be her. But yeah, never really went anywhere.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I think it's usually better not to explain something. They didn't explain smart link other than saying it was the same thing that's always been there just a game difference not lore difference. They didn't explain Chief's armor in 4 other than Cortana updating BIOS or some shit. So why start now? Plus explanations are usually contrived and take you out of it more than just accepting a stylistic change. Star Trek tries to explain why Klingons look different and it's always awful. It's because makeup, prosthetics and effects are better than they used to be, don't need in-universe explanations.
I agree. I dont think they should be forcing gameplay design decisions into lore and storytelling boxes.
iT wAs nOT AdS BuT SmArTsCoPe !1!1!!

343i really got us there. That was a direct lie, and I cannot fathom why they held on to that when it obviously was ADS. They even lied when saying that ADS would have no effect on bullet spread... But it did. SMH.

Yeah I mean thats just it. You made a design decision because you thought it would work within the game. Why they thought they had to justify it with lore reasons and at that having the design be contradictory to that lore was baffling.

Additionally, lying about what ADS was going to be wasn't great either. Kind of crazy they actually didnt catch a lot of blowback for that but I guess its because 5 had plenty of other problems too.

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
Chills.

HALOINFINITE_E319_TWTR_Ring.gif

I thought the "trilogy" was going into the whole idea of a mass produced hero with the Spartan IVs. Something I thought was foreshadowed when Cortana talked about the UNSC being able to make another model of her that still wouldn't be her. But yeah, never really went anywhere.

Can't believe we are getting visuals like this. Imagine when they show us the full world on that ring

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I fucking love how clean the graphics look. Really hoping for similar IQ for the actual game.