• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

VivekTO

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I mean this is for the good, I was worried that there is not enough time even to fix some fundamental problems with the game shown last month. but thought that they will fix incrementally. I guess something is really bad at 343. Also I hope some of you now understand that the shit the trailer was getting is not just trolling or concern , it was legitimately bad and needed to be sorted out.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's definitely going to hurt the hardware launch but to me this is good news. Put the work in so it hopefully blows people's socks off whenever it does launch.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Fucking lol.
I mean based on the gameplay reveal it's for the best.
What exactly is MS 1st party releasing this year with the Series X though???

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
some people seem to massively overestimate how much Halo entries sell these days and how little Infinite matters in the years-long shift Xbox is hoping for. Halo is a dying sales figure and they were always going to be depending on a big stack of games in 2-3 years to make Series X/S a blockbuster system. They cannot thrive on one old IP and the suggestion that this was going to have them fighting Sony at launch was not accurate.

Oct 25, 2017

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
This is so sad, but still the right call.
The game needs more polish, and hopefully it will launch alongside Hardware Ray Tracing support now.

Meanwhile, fuck Covid-19

Grimmy11

Oct 28, 2017
Holy shit, I mean it obviously looked like it needed a lot more time, and Covid will have had a huge effect but I'm still shocked they did it. I thought for sure they'd just launch it in a not great state and fix it over time. TBH that fact that they're not doing that makes me think it's in a REALLY bad state.

What's Xbox's launch lineup looking like now then?

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
This is a big blow to the Series X's launch line-up, but it was a good call with regards to the quality of the game. Take your time & get it right, 343.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure really. Free months of gamepass? Free online play (like rumored)?

I think this is a bit much for a game being delayed, especially when (at least I don't think it has been this way yet) pre-orders haven't happened yet. They delayed. Lots of companies delay. They don't owe us free things for it.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
PS5 launch lineup looks better than PS4's which I know isn't saying much, but Sony seems to have prepared for next-gen better than Microsoft at least if their only planned major launch title was Halo and it's a cross-gen game. Their first year of exclusives ensures their console is going to fly off shelves. Without Halo, I have no idea what is Series X selling on the strength of.

It's truly commendable, but also blown wide open just how unprepared Xbox is for this generation.
No, I don't think you can say that "their first year of exclusives ensures their console is going to fly off shelves." Both consoles will be supply limited and both will fly off shelves. The PS4 had a terrible launch lineup and it flew off shelves. Launch lineups are obviously overrated. I think even the Wii U flew off shelves. lol

Maverick-Swe

Nov 26, 2017
Sweden
Feel bad for the folks at 343 and at Ms. I know they were looking forward to release a complete new Halo with the launch of Series X.

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
Yakuza 7, a turn based niche RPG heavily based on Japanese culture and The Medium, a new survival horror IP looking at eachother rn wondering how they are going to carry the console launch

Last edited:

CarterTax

Oct 25, 2017
Not surprised because it looked like it needed another year in the cooker. The fact that it's delayed until 2021 with no date when it was supposed to be a launch Series game and really the banner title for Xbox this fall should let everyone know that something is clearly going on/wrong during the development of the game (which I'm sure was exacerbated by Covid).

CarlSagan94

Nov 3, 2018
Wow, rather surprised by this!

I wonder if Covid is the only reason and whether the lukewarm reception played a part.

It will be very tough for Series X to launch without Halo thats for sure.

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This has to be because instead of just making a damn game they just had to make it a service instead.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm kind of annoyed with Schreier here. Microsoft has touted Infinite's development pipeline as trying to actively combat crunch. Why dog pile on a studio that's trying to do right by their employees... I'm sure it just needs more time and they can't get that without massive amounts of OT.
Saying the state of the game must be bad is not the same as advocating for crunch.

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's good for the game. However given how much they were betting on this for the Series X launch, this poses a bigger question. Should they delay the launch of the Series X? This delay could single handily wreck the Series X for months after launch. Like really what's the point of buying this thing at launch.

Microsoft has launched their last two consoles without launch Halo. People found a reason to get a 360 and XB1 at the time.

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
I was worried Spencer would push it out for launch, but glad to see him allow them more time. I know they can make a great game, so at least now I don't have to worry about the potential for a mess of a launch like MCC.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Feel bad for 343i. Typically game delays lead to a lot of crunch, especially if this hasn't been pushed back an entire year.

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
Probably for the best. I wouldn't be surprised if we see more games getting delays though with what's happening in the world right now.

ryan299

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe we'll get a halo series x limited edition console from this now. Don't think they were doing one for launch

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I think this is a bit much for a game being delayed, especially when (at least I don't think it has been this way yet) pre-orders haven't happened yet. They delayed. Lots of companies delay. They don't owe us free things for it.

Owe us? No, of course not. But losing Halo certainly is a negative for the XSX launch. They'll want to announce something positive.

Deadpool_X

Oct 28, 2017
Indiana
Something tells me that MS wouldn't have allowed this delay without having something else in the works we don't know about. Perhaps Perfect Dark is a launch title?

dreamlongdead

Nov 5, 2017
This is good for the game, and it's the right move.

It's a shame for Halo fans who've been waiting an eternity for this.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Why launch the box the same month as Sony if they're not playing the same game? Just delay it out of holiday and carve out your own niche in spring of 2021.

Yeah I see where you're coming from but I don't think they're trying to carve out a niche (or at the very least not make it seem that way). And despite their approach to this coming gen being very different from Sony's, Sony is still their chief competitor when it comes to hardware so they don't want to fall behind.

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait to see all the games media that were saying "oh Halo's art style is why it looked liked that", and all the other excuses backpedal. The fact that they delayed this game in particular should tell you all you need to know. The one time they couldn't afford a delay.

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Oof. I was planning going PS5 but I feel empathy for 343 and MS right now. I can't imagine.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
launch titles aways come in hot in a normal world, covid 19 added to the mix and yeah seems inevitable.

bbg_g

Jun 21, 2020
It's a shame that this had to happen but as many others have said this is hopefully a good thing for the team. I know it doesn't mean there won't be crunch but there's no real definitive date for launch so hopefully it gives them room to breathe. I can't imagine the pressure they're feeling right now.

TaKeRx

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad it was delayed. Game needed more work and MS must feel the same to let it be delayed for next year.

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
It's really not the end of Xbox here.

Sony delayed almost every single goddamn 1st party game on the PS4. Where was all the outrage then? Oh wait thats right - pretty much every single one of us said "Eh its okay, let them work on it til its ready" or just posted the Miyamoto quotes. Or we get people posting that "crunch culture is bad, I dont want to support a game company that works its employees to literal death".

But when Microsoft does it, they are apparently in trouble and the Series X is already a failure, or they expect the devs to work 20 hours a day til launch so they can play a videogame in a few months.

I mean, come on guys.

I'm glad the game was delayed and agree with quotes listed, but losing their hot launch title will result in sales lost to Sony. The context of this happening at the console's launch is what differentiates it from a typical delay.