• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
while I don't agree with the latter, I do agree with the former. I'm replaying the mcc at the moment and it's so annoying 5 not being on there. going to have to dig out my 360 and play it at 30fps I suppose. it's so weird that the master chief collection is not actually the entire master chief collection.

I just think it's fucking weird that they have a game called "The Master Chief Collection", and they seemingly refuse to put one of the mainline numbered Halo sequels starring the Master Chief in it. This made some sense originally when it was a compendium of the Bungie-era games, but that reasoning dissolved the second they put Halo 4 on it years after Halo 5 came out. You can't even make a popularity argument about it or anything, because again... Halo 4.

My suspicion was always that they would do it once Halo Infinite launched and they later switched off the MTX in Halo 5, but they've seemed pretty steadfast in their insistence that they have no plans to add it.

Vidpixel

Oct 27, 2017
There are no other biomes, they confirmed it a while back in a community q&a video. I don't have the link but I found it in a thread on Halo Waypoint.

Oh jeez, really? This dampens my hype quite a bit…hopefully there's a scripted mission with at least static rain or something to change up the outdoor aesthetic.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
oh okay that makes sense then. Thank you.

It can seem really samey for any game if you didn't have some variety. But for the "biggest Halo" to not have other biomes, it's a bit of a let down. Other open world games have biomes and Halo has always had them. But you know we'll see how it all plays out, it might be fine.
Perhaps they mean it is the biggest Halo as far as the big open areas.

But I agree....it would be weird that the entire franchise where you play on a Halo ring there are different areas with different Biomes and then in this game you are limited to just the one part of the ring....what also does not make sense is that the "Pilot" has a Pelican so there is no reason that you could not travel to other parts of the ring where the environment is different.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
I just think it's fucking weird that they have a game called "The Master Chief Collection", and they seemingly refuse to put one of the mainline numbered Halo sequels starring the Master Chief in it. This made some sense originally when it was a compendium of the Bungie-era games, but that reasoning dissolved the second they put Halo 4 on it years after Halo 5 came out. You can't even make a popularity argument about it or anything, because again... Halo 4.

My suspicion was always that they would do it once Halo Infinite launched and they later switched off the MTX in Halo 5, but they've seemed pretty steadfast in their insistence that they have no plans to add it.

Halo 4 was part of the MCC from Day 1.

Zeel

Oct 27, 2017
I just hate how even game trailers nowadays are cut in that dumb insufferable way like blockbuster movie ones, where you have a comedic pause, then a characters says something cringe and unfunny, then you get random fart explosion sounds again.
The comedic pause is what gives me goosebumps every single time, because it really tries to force a punchline, which makes it just unbearably cringe.
Trailers have become mostly unwatchable for me at this point, all I can remember from this one now is Cortana being cringe as fuck.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona

Halo 4 was in MCC since launch, well before Halo 5 released. You're thinking of when they added Halo Reach.

They've repeatedly stated they have no plans to add Halo 5 as it's out of scope and they'd be facing memory issues trying to add another game at this point. Plus the complexity of incorporating H5 Forge, Warzone, and the REQ system. If they ever added H5, it would likely have to be heavily stripped down and Series consoles/PC only, no X1 support.

Odds are, at best we'll eventually get a stand-alone port on PC and a Series patch, but I'm not sure how much demand there is.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
I feel like this is not a good argument, because we have a lot of examples of open-ended/open-world games that have different biomes and the way you go from one to the other is just natural.

You can go in Forza Horizon 5 from a snowy volcano all the way down into a lush jungle, while traversing empty sand deserts in the mean time. Sure, the world is bigger than Halo, but still, you end up traversing it at the same speed because the tools you're given in each game make you go just as fast relative to the world you're in.

Or we could take a metroidvania like Ori 2. The whole world can be traversed seamlessly, and you never feel like it's weird going from one place to another. Just feels part of the adventure.

A good example is also GTA San Andreas. Sure, in the badly done remaster the World is small and incoherent, but damn back then with the right amount of fog, it felt so huge. Cities and deserts all felt different and far.

One could argue even Halo had dramatic change of sceneries in a single level. The Covenant for example, once you disable the shield you go from the "The Silent Cartographer"-look to the "Assault on the Control Room"-look.
I mean, I actually DO think these games you're talking about feel unnatural in those ways. I always have. If I'm moving to another entirely new environment it typically feels more correct to have a cutscene and to see me actually travelling to the new place. It's strange for me to literally drive for 30 seconds from sunny hot beach to icy cold peaks. Ori gets a pass because it's fantastical and none of it is grounded in a real world. Most worlds like that I don't bat an eye about.

It's not a big deal, though, and I don't really care about any of this enough to argue over it. It doesn't break my emersion THAT much. I was just stating my personal opinion on how there are a lot of games that don't change environments in any sort of realistic way when they are trying to be realistic. It happens quite often to me where I'm like "how the fuck is it snowing right now?" or some other large change in scenery when I've traveled like 2 minutes in-game from a jungle or something.

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't like the trailer at all. It just misses an "oomph" sort of feeling, I can't describe it better. But the game itself looks great and tons of fun. Just awesome that there are sooo many series x to pick and choose from! (This is sarcasm). I guess we should expect a little bit of a blossom in retails during the holidays in regards of finding a console?

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
It's a good game. This shouldn't be controversial, the discussion about this game is insanely jaundiced. I wish it was added to MCC.
Absolutely. Halo 5's campaign is way better than Halo 4's from a level design and gameplay perspective. I don't get how that would even be debatable. Halo 4 is the closest the series gets to a heavily scripted corridor shooter.

Halo 5 is way less linear, with much greater replay value. And it has better variety and enemy balance, and a better sandbox too.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely. Halo 5's campaign is way better than Halo 4's from a level design and gameplay perspective. I don't get how that would even be debatable. It's clearly way less linear, with much greater replay value. And it has much better variety and enemy balance, and a better sandbox too.

definitely better, especially the encounters.

the thing that bring 5 down some are the forced AI squad mates, because good lord

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Why is 343 pretending the world likes Brutes? Lame design in every way. They rebooted Halo and had the perfect opportunity to just forget these embarassing clowns.

We have a universe to explore and they literally went with monkeys.
Brutes might be kinda lame but their weapons and vehicles own. So their return is a net positive IMO, at least on paper.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
Any word on if they're going to patch the animations before launch so some of them don't run at 30fps?

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
definitely better, especially the encounters.

the thing that bring 5 down some are the forced AI squad mates, because good lord
I didn't even mind the squad mates because you can hand them power weapons or tell them to pilot turrets or vehicles. I thought it was a fun gimmick most of the time. It felt like an evolution of the marine buddies from previous games.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't even mind the squad mates because you can hand them power weapons or tell them to pilot turrets or vehicles. I thought it was a fun gimmick most of the time. It felt like an evolution of the marine buddies from previous games.

they are useful in an infinite power weapon ammo sense like the marines were yes, but they added very little to the combat because they *had* to make the content possible solo (no co op help).

so you basically have 3 sgt. Johnson's/arbiters with you at all times so they can't die, which means they can't be too strong or smart due to the functional invincibility. as such they just ended up getting in the way more often than not, the vast majority of the time I would've preferred they weren't there.

if I recall my primary use for them in campaign were as power weapon backpack mules, and the occasional decoy.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Absolutely. Halo 5's campaign is way better than Halo 4's from a level design and gameplay perspective. I don't get how that would even be debatable. Halo 4 is the closest the series gets to a heavily scripted corridor shooter.

Halo 5 is way less linear, with much greater replay value. And it has better variety and enemy balance, and a better sandbox too.

Halo 5 would easily be in the running as the best campaign for a lot more people if it weren't for Locke and the (lack of) story, I'm sure of that.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Isn't locke like 70% of the game tho :p

I don't mean that all the Locke levels would have to be deleted, for the most part they are great, some amazing from a gameplay standpoint. That's the point I'm trying to make, the problem lies almost entirely with the characters and story they contextualize the gameplay with.

DJDoubleCream

Oct 28, 2017
I am actually really looking forward to the campaign, however, that trailer was... Meh. Nothing new shown off, makes me feel like this part of halo infinite won't be that 'big' with one biome which is disappointing. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Any idea on the length of the campaign?

Glass

Oct 26, 2017
Understand some concerns over the campaign but this is filling me with hopium

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
I don't mean that all the Locke levels would have to be deleted, for the most part they are great, some amazing from a gameplay standpoint. That's the point I'm trying to make, the problem lies almost entirely with the characters and story they contextualize the gameplay with.
This is the only Halo campaign I haven't played but are you saying everyone says it's bad because the character you play as simply isn't MC? Does Locke effect the gameplay or anything or?

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
I wonder if I'll be able to enjoy the story if I haven't played 4 and 5.
As far as I know this is a direct sequel with heavy ties to the last two, right?
It's not like, let's say, an Uncharted game where you can pretty much dive in wherever and still know exactly what's going on for this particular adventure?

I might play 4 and 5 before it, but I have heard they're a bit of a mixed bag. They're on Gamepass though...

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
Why is 343 pretending the world likes Brutes? Lame design in every way. They rebooted Halo and had the perfect opportunity to just forget these embarassing clowns.

We have a universe to explore and they literally went with monkeys.

Well, the first thing they tried was Lego Jack Russels, Insect men and drones.

Gravemind IV

Nov 26, 2017
Thats a Halo 3 chieftain alright! I didnt follow Halo Wars, why some Brutes looks geared with new armor and some are keeping the covenant era armor? Scrappers?
Supposedly the Banished is growing quite fast and attracting all kinds of post-Covenant groups. Can't outfit them all with true Banished gear I am guessing. That would be the in-universe explanation. I think 343 just wants to keep some classic designs in there.

Coxy

Oct 28, 2017
Halo 5 would easily be in the running as the best campaign for a lot more people if it weren't for Locke and the (lack of) story, I'm sure of that.
Hell no.

The same boss battle over and over
Playing as a team (and Locke…) instead of just the Chief
Hardly ever spawning any human weapons
Levels where you literally just talk to people

It was a fun game but nothing like the Halo of old. I also didn't like what happened to Cortana.

Darmik

Oct 25, 2017
I played Halo CE on Legendary a couple of weeks ago and all of the natural locations in that game actually all fit a PNW Biome. Even Assault on the Control Room has those typical PNW trees although not that many of them.

I don't know how specific or broad they'll go with location diversity Halo Infinite but I don't think what they've said about it being a PNW biome rules out snow or a beach for example. Although yeah it's entirely possible they would have shown those if they were in.

The thing that gives me hope is that with how early and long reviewers have had the game along with the review embargo being on Monday I think show that Microsoft are overall confident the reception will be positive. A samey world would definitely be a major issue with reviewers.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
I played Halo CE on Legendary a couple of weeks ago and all of the natural locations in that game actually all fit a PNW Biome. Even Assault on the Control Room has those typical PNW trees although not that many of them.

I don't know how specific or broad they'll go with location diversity Halo Infinite but I don't think what they've said about it being a PNW biome rules out snow or a beach for example. Although yeah it's entirely possible they would have shown those if they were in.

The thing that gives me hope is that with how early and long reviewers have had the game along with the review embargo being on Monday I think show that Microsoft are overall confident the reception will be positive. A samey world would definitely be a major issue with reviewers.
Yeah reviewers have had access to the entire campaign for two weeks now. When the previews dropped they could only talk about the first four levels.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Is there any good source or YT video that explains "The story so far" in the series that serves as a catch up to the events leading up to this game?

Skywalker333

Senior Video Games Editor
Verified
Jun 9, 2020
Yeah reviewers have had access to the entire campaign for two weeks now. When the previews dropped they could only talk about the first four levels.
indeed thats all we can talk about. so any questions for the first 4 missions (missions, not levels, its very different), I can answer them, just shoot away :)

for further than that, I can't talk. But Ι would always repeat the official 343 statements on anything in the game :)

Is there any good source or YT video that explains "The story so far" in the series that serves as a catch up to the events leading up to this game?
I saw a few, I think this is the best one for a quick summary of aaaalll games.

www.youtube.com

Halo Recapped: The Complete Timeline So Far (Halo Lore)

Recapping the entire Halo story: everything between the human-forerunner war, and the events of Halo Wars 2. This is the complete Halo story so far.Subscribe...

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I hope they do some miracle last minute optimizations to the PC version so it runs smooth at high framerates in that open world. Or that a good nvidia driver for Halo shows up. Things get a bit stuttery on big team battle no matter what hardware you have and that worries me for the campaign open world.

Skywalker333

Verified
Jun 9, 2020
I hope they do some miracle last minute optimizations to the PC version so it runs smooth at high framerates in that open world. Or that a good nvidia driver for Halo shows up. Things get a bit stuttery on big team battle no matter what hardware you have and that worries me for the campaign open world.
the preview built of the campaign (for the section of the open world we are allowed to talk about), plays very smoothly. there is something off with the cutscenes though and something off with some movement animations, but the overall performance while running & gunning in the open world is very nice

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
the preview built of the campaign (for the section of the open world we are allowed to talk about), plays very smoothly. there is something off with the cutscenes though and something off with some movement animations, but the overall performance while running & gunning in the open world is very nice
343 mention anything about a day one patch? Or said anything about the lower FPS capped animations?

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
343 mention anything about a day one patch? Or said anything about the lower FPS capped animations?
Yes.
They always remark what we're playing is still a Beta, and Campaign code sent to reviewers is still preview.
This imply the final code and/or a D1 patch to be pushed soon.

Plus this is listed as a "Known Issue":

• Some first-person animations may appear to stutter at 60 FPS or higher.

Source

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
This is a comprehensive recap if you wanted to know all of the events that have transpired between Halo 5 and Infinite:

Pretty much everything takes place in transmedia content, as you'd expect. Still some good table setting information from a few sources though (especially the book "Shadows of Reach").

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Yes.
They always remark what we're playing is still a Beta, and Campaign code sent to reviewers is still preview.
This imply the final code and/or a D1 patch to be pushed soon.

Plus this is listed as a "Known Issue":

Source
oh that's nice

it's so jarring to pick up a rocket or skewer at 144fps and have it animate at like 20fps

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
The ONLY story beat that has to pay off is Cortana getting "fixed" and re-united with chief! Everything else from previous games can be pretty much ignored, hopefully. i don't want more progentiors/prometheans/forerunners/didacts etc.

If Cortana stays rampant and MC has to delete her and be sad about it (like he's sad about his family gone, Reach gone, most OG spartans gone) I'm going to be really pissed off!

In universe, are chief's parents still alive? AFAIK they were still alive in H1 but obvs he was too busy saving humanity...and 2/3 rolled straight into more fighting. However there were down moments, like he gets a medal at a ceremony at one point?

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
The ONLY story beat that has to pay off is Cortana getting "fixed" and re-united with chief! Everything else from previous games can be pretty much ignored, hopefully. i don't want more progentiors/prometheans/forerunners/didacts etc.

If Cortana stays rampant and MC has to delete her and be sad about it (like he's sad about his family gone, Reach gone, most OG spartans gone) I'm going to be really pissed off!

In universe, are chief's parents still alive? AFAIK they were still alive in H1 but obvs he was too busy saving humanity...and 2/3 rolled straight into more fighting. However there were down moments, like he gets a medal at a ceremony at one point?

Chief was kidnapped and replaced by a clone as a child. Dont think his parents are turning up for a medal ceremony. Or? I forget exactly. Definitely kidnapped.

I personally want Cortana gone. If she does come back. Go back to the pragmatic strong Halo 1 Cortana. Not the voice wobbling, doe eyed 5 Cortana.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Chief was kidnapped and replaced by a clone as a child. Dont think his parents are turning up for a medal ceremony. Or? I forget exactly. Definitely kidnapped.

Yes he was - in the books it's explained that he never goes back to them as he can't leave the training facilities, and then the war with the covenant starts so he doesn't have time.

I can't remember if they die relatively early on in the story, because their planet is glassed, or not.

They watch the clone die, and grieve for their son. It's a pretty fucked up origin story and the games don't really do it justice.

I personally want Cortana gone. If she does come back. Go back to the pragmatic strong Halo 1 Cortana. Not the voice wobbling, doe eyed 5 Cortana.

Oh yeah for sure - it needs to be a full reboot so that she goes back to sarcastic Cortana from H1. I do want her and chief to go off in the sunset together though.

This is a comprehensive recap if you wanted to know all of the events that have transpired between Halo 5 and Infinite:

Pretty much everything takes place in transmedia content, as you'd expect. Still some good table setting information from a few sources though (especially the book "Shadows of Reach").

Good lord - that is WAY too much story going on!! The game is going to have to go super-simple with good team and bad team if they want people to have any hope of understanding what's going on. There are at least two sets of characters in that video that seem irrelevant for the Zeta Halo story, but even still the current cast of factions is something like:-

Rogue cortana+ guardians
Halsy+usnc chiefs up to fuckery
MC and blue team (olly olly oxen free!)
The OG covenant
The OG rebels (mentioned in video hanging out with Buck and some USNC spartans)
Buck+the spartan cop guy
The banished (split into three factions)
Prometheans+didact
The splinter-banished that want to re-activate the halos

That's...too much.

Skywalker333

Verified
Jun 9, 2020

They have said that that there is a bug there that misses frames in the animation bit and that they are working on it. But no comment on the 30FPS cap, I think this will stay for a while if not forever.

But yes, the preview built is not the review built, that is updated a fair bit.

ps: some of the influencer twitter comments I'm seeing are so funny and soooo much all over the place and inaccurate! both those trying to dish the game and those overselling it (when clearly none of they have not played it :P ). The click baiting and the hunt for followers is on overdrive.
Really, don't trust random sources, the embargo and NDA is extremely tight and the "leaks" and impressions random people are sharing by "i heard the rumour that XXX rocks/sucks" have veeeeery little basis to truth. For now, trust the previews and the 343 official statements ;

Bungie

Oct 31, 2017
I'm interested to see what the different "levels" look like if parts of the ring you're confined to are all similar in terms of the environment. It feels like we've only seen one of the open areas, and I'm not sure how different the others are expected to be or how many there are, but what worries me a bit is that what we've seen is essentially it

Charcoal

Nov 2, 2017
Yes he was - in the books it's explained that he never goes back to them as he can't leave the training facilities, and then the war with the covenant starts so he doesn't have time.

I can't remember if they die relatively early on in the story, because their planet is glassed, or not.

They watch the clone die, and grieve for their son. It's a pretty fucked up origin story and the games don't really do it justice.

Oh yeah for sure - it needs to be a full reboot so that she goes back to sarcastic Cortana from H1. I do want her and chief to go off in the sunset together though.

Good lord - that is WAY too much story going on!! The game is going to have to go super-simple with good team and bad team if they want people to have any hope of understanding what's going on. There are at least two sets of characters in that video that seem irrelevant for the Zeta Halo story, but even still the current cast of factions is something like:-

Rogue cortana+ guardians
Halsy+usnc chiefs up to fuckery
MC and blue team (olly olly oxen free!)
The OG covenant
The OG rebels (mentioned in video hanging out with Buck and some USNC spartans)
Buck+the spartan cop guy
The banished (split into three factions)
Prometheans+didact
The splinter-banished that want to re-activate the halos

That's...too much.
It's really not that complicated.

Chief's trying to find his wife, but his mom and a few different groups of "bad guys" keep getting in the way.