• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aleman

Dec 20, 2018
The thing that I don't understand is that Halo 4, a game built for the Xbox 360, looked out of this world when it came out. It might be the best-looking 360 game, period.

So Halo Infinite, a game coming out on next-gen hardware (two generations after the 360, no less), looks not only worse than Halo 4, but might also look on par or worse than Halo 3, a game released 13 years ago.

What happened? Like, even the fact that this game is cross-gen doesn't explain the graphics here.

I'm guessing that going for larger scale meant a lot of compromises.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did one of the writers from Mass Effect Andromeda designed the scenario for Infinite? That villain looks like a generic sci fi villain just like the ones from Andromeda.

Convasse

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA, USA
I dunno what to think and there are many things that have likely contributed to my numbness?
- COVID 19
- Game development issues
- Simultaneous Engine development issues
- COVID 19
- Console launch deadline
- COVID 19

I really don't know what to think. 60fps is appreciated, 4K is less important. But the lighting, the lighting just is flat. Open-world design has technical limitations and the world does seem more alive than any previous Halo world. There's a lot to unpack here, but there's just something missing.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Gameplay looks great but the visuals are really underwhelming. Still a positive impression overall given the gameplay, level design and silky smooth 60 fps, but the visuals seriously could use some work. The original Halo Infinite reveal trailer looked more impressive, honestly.

Swarming1182

Jan 14, 2018
Wasn't the whole point of super-fast SSDs that it would curtail texture/detail pop-in? And yet it's all over the place here

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have mixed feelings, the gunplay looks great, seems to flow nice, accurate and punchy, the world seems okay, rather uninteresting, sterile like I'm watching a game before it's finished, not a mysterious alien world, it just looks so odd. There is just something very unnatural and overly standard build about it rather than a unique mission if you know what I mean. It looks simple, it looks unfinished, maybe it's just their art direction but it looks weird. I've only watched it once so I may be overlooking things but not the greatest first impression.

IHaveIce

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
343 has to start their dev diary like tomorrow and ahow us this trailer is not how the game looks right now, cause that was ass.. They could have shown this last year and I would have said ok fine it is a year off.. But this is supposed to launch in the next 5 months? Hell

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
The game looks really good to me, I'm not sure what ya'll we're really expecting given it's been cross-gen from the jump.

The gameplay and art direction are spot on IMO..just need to see multiplayer.

Axon

Banned
Mar 9, 2020
4-4-K-60-FPS-Official-Xbox-Games-Showcase-Full-Show-ENGLISH-You-Tube-Opera-23-07-2020-14-20-52.png

4-4-K-60-FPS-Official-Xbox-Games-Showcase-Full-Show-ENGLISH-You-Tube-Opera-23-07-2020-14-27-11.png

4-4-K-60-FPS-Official-Xbox-Games-Showcase-Full-Show-ENGLISH-You-Tube-Opera-23-07-2020-14-27-19.png

4-4-K-60-FPS-Official-Xbox-Games-Showcase-Full-Show-ENGLISH-You-Tube-Opera-23-07-2020-14-27-31.png

This game looks beautiful. It has some of the clearest visuals Ive ever seen in a game. People dont seem to understand that they werent trying to go for a realistic art-style, but rather something more stylized.

Camp1nCarl

Oct 25, 2017
During the end did the Brute state the Arbiter is aligned with the Banished now? Interesting to see how that shakes out

Deleted member 19767

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think that they could tap out the Series X at all for launch. Its the most powerful console out there, with a new SSD. It's going to take some serious dev time to tap it out...But overall..what you are saying, I totally agree. Halo could look better and I wish it did, but I also appreciate what THIS halo is and what it was designed for...and the requirement to hit solid 60FPS consoles on the 7 year old POS hardware.

I'm really looking forward to actually PLAYING it though.

Me too friend. Me too.
Halo is one my favorite franchises. I didn't love 4 or 5, but I still enjoyed them. Seeing a return to Halo CE style is great.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
"The xbox one won't hold back xbox series x graphics."

"The world's most powerful console can't even properly shadow a corpse." (I added that last bit)

That looks fine actually, they're not in direct light so all you should see is an ambient occlusion blob shadow, which is present although subtle.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Am I crazy or did the announcement trailer look much nicer

Look at that sweet flowing grass and vegetation.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
lightning seems to be the worst offender. the vegetation looks so off, like someone forgot to bake the lightning on the engine.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Again, not an apt comparison. Are you missing the post I was responding to and the point that I made in response?

Either the game looks and runs like Halo Infinite on the aging consoles, or it doesn't. And it doesn't. Destiny looks good on the aging consoles until you actually go to play it. You don't play screenshots lmao.

Why are you talking about xbox one? We're talking about the fact that this game on series x will look worse than a 3 year old port to series x.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
I think the reason I'm disappointed is because I let you fools get me hyped by saying things like "this year's BOTW" or some BS like that XD
I was expecting a GOW (2018) levels of change and what we got today is just open world Halo...
giphy.gif

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017

Yeah, a lot of this looks pretty bad. I don't know if it's because they have a lot of work still to do and things like shadows and proper textures are straight up missing, or if this is some kind of art style they're going for... but they have a way to go to bring this up to the standard I would expect from a first party game of this size.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Did one of the writers from Mass Effect Andromeda designed the scenario for Infinite? That villain looks like a generic sci fi villain just like the ones from Andromeda.

It's supposed to be a Brute from an evil faction established in Halo Wars 2. Thing is, most people aren't going to know that.

Imagine if this new trilogy actually started off right with an actual established villain from the start. A villain from Halo 4 that wasn't killed off in some comic books, Cortana becoming a villain in Halo 5, and now apparently its these Brutes in Halo Infinite. This has just been a mess from the start.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
The visuals don't really bother me too much, but I'm not the person who cares about visuals

I will say that I don't think the demo really did a good job of selling the game though. There were hints of an open world, or at least larger more open spaces, but no indication of how that actually works for a Halo game. Which is kind of key to get across, because when I think back on Halo campaigns I think of their levels being tightly designed combat sandboxes where the environments were clearly built to create fun and memorable encounters. Is moving to a more open structure going to sacrifice that? If so what does going more open bring to the table. The footage didn't really answer that question.

Hopefully it gets a better showing in the future, but after the previous 2 teasers this feels like a pretty disappointing debut. The lack of any MP footage is a bummer as well.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Feb 25, 2018
And once again, it is proven that graphics are, in fact, everything people care about.

We can't play the game yet, so we have to go with what we have... Don't tell me you think this is not underwhelming after the 2018 trailer.
Yes, I was actually expecting the graphics to look this good on XBOX X. Cross gen seems to be killing it.

Calverz

Oct 28, 2017
This game looks beautiful. It has some of the clearest visuals Ive ever seen in a game. People dont seem to understand that they werent trying to go for a realistic art-style, but rather something more stylized.
I agree i really like the look and the major Halo CE vibes.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The thing that I don't understand is that Halo 4, a game built for the Xbox 360, looked out of this world when it came out. It might be the best-looking 360 game, period.

So Halo Infinite, a game coming out on next-gen hardware (two generations after the 360, no less), looks not only worse than Halo 4, but might also look on par or worse than Halo 3, a game released 13 years ago.

What happened? Like, even the fact that this game is cross-gen doesn't explain the graphics here.
"Looks worse than Halo 3"

Literally the stupidest comment I've ever read on these forums. That's saying a lot.

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017
I don't get it. Watched the 4K video and it looks really really good. There was a bit of pop in here and there but I'm hopeful that will get ironed out. Looked amazing on my 75" 4K. Very clean, sharp and smooth.

I knew there would be hot takes but wow. Lol

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
And people here kept telling us how cross gen doesn't hold back games. Maybe we can now finally move on from that stupidity.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
I loved it. The crisp look, the smooth movement, the one-shot camera, the grappling hook... If they really manage to get this to run at 4k+60FPS on Series X, I´ll be impressed. I´m hyped for the game now although I´m not even a Halo-fan, lol.

shanew21

Nov 7, 2017
The visuals don't really bother me too much, but I'm not the person who cares about visuals

I will say that I don't think the demo really did a good job of selling the game though. There were hints of an open world, or at least larger more open spaces, but no indication of how that actually works for a Halo game. Which is kind of key to get across, because when I think back on Halo campaigns I think of their levels being tightly designed combat sandboxes where the environments were clearly built to create fun and memorable encounters. Is moving to a more open structure going to sacrifice that? If so what does going more open bring to the table. The footage didn't really answer that question.

Hopefully it gets a better showing in the future, but after the previous 2 teasers this feels like a pretty disappointing debut. The lack of any MP footage is a bummer as well.
Agreed. The demo they chose was odd. Reminds me of the Jedi Fallen Order gameplay demo. Looked completely underwhelming but the game ended up being so much better.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
On the xbox series x launch, I will have two 4K60 fps games that I can play, and the old one that has existed for 3 years will look better than the new flagship title. That is what they are saying, and that's a problem.

I don't think I have enough information to make that statement in good faith. I thought what I saw there was superior to Destiny 2 from a technical perspective and the game still has another what 5 months? to bake in the oven. Skyboxes are obviously Bungie's bread and butter and no one comes close to them. But world space where you're engaging enemies? Eh.. looks about the same, and the sandbox gameplay itself will likely shit all over anything Bungie has made in years, as fun as bounties are.

Oct 30, 2017
And people complained about it's graphics too.

yeah, but to your point, people generally thought it was the right decision. and then the one x came out and it ran in native 4K and looked fine.

native 4K/60 is not an excuse for infinite looking underwhelming as part of a showcase for next-gen hardware.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I still don't get people who want sprint removed. Like, I get the impact it can have on multiplayer, and that's a separate conversation, but, are we really supposed to be able to believe that Master Chief is a super soldier who... never runs?

Like, what?

How the hell does the argument keep coming up.

People who don't like sprint want chief to be able to shoot and run at the same time. They don't like how sprinting as a mechanic lowers your freedom. They want full speed with full utility.

Regardless, in this demo both the base movement and sprint were SO. SLOW.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gamers want 60fps console games but don't want to accept the visual cutbacks it creates. Must be annoying to be a dev.

TLOU 2 will run at 60fps on PS5 and looks a lot better than this. This does not look impressive by current gen standards.

If the One X can already run RDR 2 at 4K, then Series X pulling this off is not that far fetched.