• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ObbyDent

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I respectfully disagree.

I mean, if you want to trigger rape victims with your edgy political cartoon, go ahead. This comic does nothing to the MAGA crowd, and only hurts those in the left that this comic is trying to "help". But you do you.

Opinions. I think it's perfect. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If you guys want to show a rape when discussing the problems of rape culture, I don't think thats an opinion. I just think its really fucked up. Surprising coming from a moderator of this forum tbh.

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is not graphic.

We don't care about changing conservatives minds. That ship has sailed. We care about getting the apathetic to participate in democracy.
Graphic may not be the most fitting word. Intense? And for anyone who's experienced this, it could be very upsetting.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, if you want to trigger rape victims with your edgy political cartoon, go ahead. This comic does nothing to the MAGA crowd, and only hurts those in the left that this comic is trying to "help". But you do you.
With this argumernt, any extreme left-leaning cartoon does nothing for the MAGA crowd. That doesn't mean its worthless and isn't making a point.

I have to disagree with Lindsay here, too.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017

If you guys want to show a rape when discussing the problems of rape culture, I don't think thats an opinion. I just think its really fucked up. Surprising coming from a moderator of this forum tbh.

Yeah again this isn't the point. This isn't intended to be a cartoon that makes right wingers stop and say "I suddenly realize I've been wrong all this time."

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

These are probably the same people who defend graphic rape scenes in Game of Thrones because "it shows how bad it really is."

NoRéN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

That's not how opinions work. Your disagreement doesn't negate its existence.

Also, this sounds like concern trolling.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
It makes me feel uncomfortable seeing sexual assault depicted like this because it doesn't accomplish anything except making left-wing people (who already oppose Kavanaugh) nod their heads and go "Yes, I agree, very bad," while actual victims are made to feel uncomfortable by seeing this sort of thing graphically depicted for political purposes. Kavanaugh is a rapist and an abuser but we don't need to physically portray that to make the point. This cartoon is not going to change any conservative's mind. They already believe he is either innocent or that the crimes he is accused of are not severe, and this image won't change their thoughts. It just ends up hurting the people who are already being hurt by this entire process.
Political cartoons generally cast a wider net than a news article, are more memorable, and tend to have a greater emotional impact as well. It should obviously be prefaced with a warning but I disagree that it has no potential to accomplish anything.

Oct 25, 2017

Is there anything we can do that won't have even the people on our side finding a reason to tell us to shut up or do things some other way? I feel like we spend too much time debating methods of approach and tone. Either we're too harsh or too soft, somebody is always whining about one or the other. Somebody took initiative, drew a cartoon, and it's getting a clear message across. You can't take sandpaper to the entire world and I don't know that this cartoon is upsetting to a majority of assault victims.

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
I've never really paid attention to political cartoons, obviously I've seen a couple here and there. This one though, really hits. I agree with the sentiment that a cartoon like this can/will hurt people that have been victim of these sorts of things, and for that I'm sorry. I also think its important that something like this is gaining steam. There are a TON of people out there who have NO idea what is going on and this has the potential to reach them, which I think is a good thing.

Really is graphic and disturbing to me though.

ObbyDent

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
That's not how opinions work. Your disagreement doesn't negate its existence.

Also, this sounds like concern trolling.

Read them tweets again, champ.

Yeah again this isn't the point. This isn't intended to be a cartoon that makes right wingers stop and say "I suddenly realize I've been wrong all this time."

it doesn't matter what the point is. the point is muddled when all its doing it hurting people. i havent seen a single right winger look at this poor cartton and think "huh, maybe rape IS bad wow" and all I see are the left praising this cartoon and the sensible ones seeing how horrifying it is.

Dec 12, 2017
Doesn't matter what the point is. the point is muddled when all its doing it hurting people. i havent seen a single right winger look at this poor cartton and think "huh, maybe rape IS bad wow" and all I see are the left praising this cartoon and the sensible ones seeing how horrifying it is.

Yikes @ the bolded.

Nakenorm

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Powerful image, really took me by surprise when I first saw it.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
it doesn't matter what the point is. the point is muddled when all its doing it hurting people. i havent seen a single right winger look at this poor cartton and think "huh, maybe rape IS bad wow" and all I see are the left praising this cartoon and the sensible ones seeing how horrifying it is.
I don't think that all it's doing is hurting people, though. That assumption is something you brought up, not some ironclad fact.

man if you and others gonna downplay the thoughts of victims ITT im outta here.
How is that what the poster is doing? You called everyone who thinks this cartoon is good "not sensible" in a huge sweeping statement. I don't think that pointing that out as not great is downplaying the thoughts of victims.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Women who don't like looking at rape imagery are concern trolls, actually" is some next-level galaxy brain political thought from noted leftist internet forum resetera dot com. I apologize for derailing the thread and will instead step aside and let you boys discuss how powerful and evocative this is.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Its not excellent at all.

I agree that "excellent" would be a poor description of the image given the subject matter. The word "accurate" however certainly applies given the actions of Trumps administration and the GOP before and during this incident.

I mean for fuck sake we have GOP senators openly calling the women liars and saying that THEY should be investigated. Its outrageous.

ObbyDent

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I don't think that all it's doing is hurting people, though. That assumption is something you brought up, not some ironclad fact.

I have examples of it hurting victims. I haven't seen a single example changing the minds of those its targeting. But yeah, I just brought it up.

"Women who don't like looking at rape imagery are concern trolls, actually" is some next-level galaxy brain political thought from noted leftist internet forum resetera dot com. I apologize for derailing the thread and will instead step aside and let you boys discuss how powerful and evocative this is.

Yeah, fuck this thread. That mod should be ashamed of themselves as well.

cervanky

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What, it's worthwhile if it energizes more apathetic people than it does triggering victims? How about we find other ways to energize people that doesn't have a good chance (not an inevitable and necessary one, but a not-minimal chance) of hurting the people who are already suffering most because of this Kavanaugh shit. I'd bet you this drawing hurts more people than it gets someone off their ass to do something about Kavanaugh.

Last edited:

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
I have examples of it hurting victims. I haven't seen a single example changing the minds of those its targeting. But yeah, I just brought it up.
This cartoon, as people keep pointing out, is not about changing minds. It is very much about waking people up, something that, in my experience, is necessary. People don't pay enough attention. A cartoon like this grabs that.
It's perfectly fine to be critical or even think that the benefits are not nearly enough to outweigh the dangers, but claiming that it JUST hurts people is just not true.

Deleted member 2779

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Political cartoons thrive on being provocative and edgy, for better or for worse, but I don't think it's as cut and dry when it comes to representing sexual assault especially when the authors are men.
What does powerful mean?
To have the capacity to elicit a strong response. Powerful may be too loaded though given I'm not as hot on the piece as other people are. Potent?

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, fuck this thread. That mod should be ashamed of themselves as well.

I'm a woman and a victim of sexual assault. I'm not ashamed of appreciating a powerful, if uncomfortable, political cartoon, no. But thanks for telling me how I should feel.

That awkward moment when you accidentally tell an assault victim how to feel about what goes on in the world after they've survived it.

Amazing.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2017
and if they aren't affected by this comic, than thats fine. but there ARE people hurt by this and don't want to see it. that doesnt mean anything to anyone defending this comic in this thread.

Then point to SPECIFICALLY to those people and stop speaking in generalities because...

I'm a woman and a victim of sexual assault. I'm not ashamed of appreciating a powerful, if uncomfortable, political cartoon, no. But thanks for telling me how I should feel.

Heraldic

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Looking at the dissenting posts, and think I could persuade you otherwise.

What is the purpose of political cartoons? First, I point you towards a political cartoon activity from the Library of Congress titled "It's No Laughing Matter: Analyzing Political Cartoons"
http://www.loc.gov/teachers/classro...ities/activities/political-cartoon/about.html

Now, obviously we can see several elements, or persuasive techniques, used in this picture. First off, we have symbolism in the iconographic Republican Party elephant used as cuff links. The Republican Party is shown to be a part of this attempted rape towards Dr. Ford, and indeed it could be argued all females, as we are fighting a battle for roe V.S. wade.

Next, the analogy of lady justice as Dr. Ford. This is very representative of Dr. Ford's desire only for the truth in her own search for justice. But, also a representation of Mr. Kavanaughs potential impartiality as a Supreme Court Justice. Would his rendering of justice truly be blind in the face of all we have seen? Or would he commit an attempted rape against it, as he did Dr. Ford? There are so many techniques used that I'm sure more could be pointed out.

Yes, the image is provocative. But, there is a reason this provocative imagery is used, and that is to prompt discussion. Ultimately to cause one to reflect i.e, engage with the art in a dialogue.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
It makes me feel uncomfortable seeing sexual assault depicted like this because it doesn't accomplish anything except making left-wing people (who already oppose Kavanaugh) nod their heads and go "Yes, I agree, very bad," while actual victims are made to feel uncomfortable by seeing this sort of thing graphically depicted for political purposes. Kavanaugh is a rapist and an abuser but we don't need to physically portray that to make the point. This cartoon is not going to change any conservative's mind. They already believe he is either innocent or that the crimes he is accused of are not severe, and this image won't change their thoughts. It just ends up hurting the people who are already being hurt by this entire process.
How can you know the cartoon won't change minds? It's an arresting image that would affect anyone with a shred of empathy.

Are you also against journalists using graphic images to illustrate the cost of war because soldiers with PTSD might be affected? Despite their potential to shift public opinion and draw attention to injustices that some would rather overlook?

There is a long and important tradition of using powerful imagery to change hearts and minds. People are emotional creatures. Some messages just won't get through with appeals to the intellect.

Last edited:

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
What, it's worthwhile if it energizes more apathetic people than it does triggering victims? How about we find other ways to energize people that doesn't have a good chance of hurting the people who are already suffering most because of this Kavanaugh shit. I'd bet you this "powerful" drawing hurts more people than it gets someone off their ass to do something about Kavanaugh.
There's no way to know that for sure, and the description of the rape and the discussion around it are also potentially triggering. Voters should not be ignorant about this topic so the best that can be done is to ensure that people are properly informed about what they could encounter when they visit a thread, or click a link to a news article or image.

Oct 25, 2017
Just the fact that this comic is resonating with a lot of people makes me believe that it's indeed effective. I'm sorry, but with the GOP literally taking the official stance that sexual assault is no big deal, we all have to realize that this is only going to get worse, not better. The GOP literally isn't letting people avoid this truth. If you want to be angry, be angry at Republicans for forcing this shit on us, not the people who help us galvanize against it.