• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Don't think it's quite clear yet.
www.resetera.com

Source 2 SDK will ship with Half-Life: Alyx

I think this deservers its own thread. I remember modding with source 1 back when half life 2 got released. maybe we will get a new Garrys Mod? Who knows? The community will be availble to build and share environments via Steam workshop.
It'll definitely include some sort of modding/editing tools, but considering they haven't gone out of their way to call that "Source 2 SDK" formally, it probably isn't. I'd have to imagine it won't be too far off though? But it's Valve so ha ha who knows.

it isn't the SDK - they don't have time to do it yet

gadHLHM.jpg

Even during announcement of the tools, they specifically describe them as "tools for building new environments" and that Hammer would get updated with the games virtual reality tools / gameplay components.

MontlyCure

Oct 27, 2017
FL
Start slow. Use teleport first or snap turning or just walkt and turn slowly. Just DON'T run an jump like crazy like you usually do in FPS. I see this a lot with people that try Skyrim for the first time. They just run and turn like they are playing a normal game and they get instantly sick.

Don't play for too long. Start with 10 - 20 minutes sessions and then gradually increase the time you spend in VR. Just take it slow. Play on easy if that helps with the disadvantages you get through slower movement/reactions.
I appreciate the tips. I've noticed that I'm mostly ok with teleporting and snapping stuff, but smooth movement absolutely destroys me. I'm really trying to get into TWD: Saints and Sinners but the movement makes me sick after a while. Thankfully Half-Life: Alyx seems to offer a ton of accessibility options, so I'm hoping for the best!

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
I appreciate the tips. I've noticed that I'm mostly ok with teleporting and snapping stuff, but smooth movement absolutely destroys me. I'm really trying to get into TWD: Saints and Sinners but the movement makes me sick after a while. Thankfully Half-Life: Alyx seems to offer a ton of accessibility options, so I'm hoping for the best!

That is the most common issue anyone has, since vestibular function is so responsive for most people. So locomotion methods that move you around quickly, in a way that represent you travelling continuously in the world, will make you fell sick / woozy since there is a disconnect in feedback your brain expects because you are actually moving differently in reality.

Everyone is different in how they can tolerate and respond to VR. It can be that different factors make things bettor for you eg higher framerate, higher tracking resolution, bigger fov, less sudden locomotion method etc etc.

You can also definitely get acclimated to movement that is quick and variable, such as stick movement, but you need to get acclimated to it, and everyone is different in this regard no matter the practice - so just keep expectations in check, as it might be a lot harder for you (or not).
Like the other poster said, start with teleporting, get comfortable, then move to shift style movement, then very slow stick movement.

I've used VR for years now for work stuff, but only got my first shot at regular gaming with Index launch. I still haven't got comfortable with stick movement - but I'm way better now than I was in 2016

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
One key note about any type of smooth locomotion is that it is very framerate sensitive. Much moreso than any other type of movement. Rotational movement is accounted for 100% perfectly by asynchronous reprojection, but any type of lateral motion can only be estimated by things like motion smoothing or ASW.

If you're sensitive to motion sickness with smooth locomotion, try a simpler game or dropping settings until you can get a smooth 120Hz or even try 144Hz. I get sick very easily below 90Hz and even 90Hz is 'mostly comfortable' but not perfect for long play sessions, once I get to 120 I'm usually fine though.

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
This. It doesn't feel real.

A big part of that is the relative lack of fanfare for what is a VR-only title; I get it, not everyone has VR, and frankly even if you want to get into it it's actually pretty difficult due to a lot of factors. That's going to necessitate dampened excitement, even though those who *do* have VR realize just how insane this is going to be. Add to that the fact that this isn't that one Half-Life game with a '3' at the end of its name, despite the reality that this is still in every way that actually matters "the next Half-Life game." Finally, it doesn't feel real because Valve have been ... well, Valve, when it comes to how unorthodox this has been. We're just over a month out and have seen the game less than I think frankly any game to ever come from a AAA studio in the history of gaming in the lead-up to release. I get that we're going to see more -- probably a lot more -- but Valve definitely isn't walking into the marketing of this game with a spare no expense approach. They're going to let the game do the talking, and let current VR players do the advertising. I hope it works. I hope that by the end of this year the question of VR's viability is answered in the strong affirmative for even today's most critical and skeptical gamer.

I think it's smart for them to completely ignore marketing right now. All indications are that there's a huge shortage of HMDs, with even the Rift S going up in price significantly over the last couple of months (and of course the Index being sold out completely).

They can basically assume a near 100% attach rate among current PCVR owners, and with zero advertising they're already selling out more HMDs than either they or their competitors can produce. Any further advertising would just be selling hardware to people who cannot buy it.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I think it's smart for them to completely ignore marketing right now. All indications are that there's a huge shortage of HMDs, with even the Rift S going up in price significantly over the last couple of months (and of course the Index being sold out completely).

They can basically assume a near 100% attach rate among current PCVR owners, and with zero advertising they're already selling out more HMDs than either they or their competitors can produce. Any further advertising would just be selling hardware to people who cannot buy it.

Good observation, I agree completely.