• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
MV5BMTc4MTM2Nzc1OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNTYwOTEz._V1_.jpg
Looks more like Leonard Nemoy to me
I see more Stephen McHattie
MV5BMDFjMmUzNWUtOGNlYy00ZTAzLThmMzMtOWMwZGI1MWZiNDM0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjQwMDg0Ng@@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,663,1000_AL_.jpg

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Now can someone tell me how modders will mod this to pancake gaming? Do people think modders will make a ton of canned animations for these types of interactions?
I'd never underestimate the mod scene around the Half Life games in what they can achieve. Never.

I just wouldn't expect a mod to release any time in the near future, looking at Black Mesa. It'll be a lot of work to retrofit the game for flat gaming, but Half Life still has the sort of dedicated modding community to get it done, eventually.

Lazlow

Oct 27, 2017
12 years since a release in the franchise that people have been crying out for the whole time and then they go and recast the only real character people have become attached to in the series. Disappointed to hear that but either way I cannot wait to play this!

I didn't even notice when I watched the trailer.

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
12 years since a release in the franchise that people have been crying out for the whole time and then they go and recast the only real character people have become attached to in the series. Disappointed to hear that but either way I cannot wait to play this!

I didn't even notice when I watched the trailer.
I think the main reason was that they wanted her to sound younger.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
It actually looks rather good, man I wish this was for non VR as well. Have it release for the consoles as well, I'd buy it on Xbox in a heartbeat. I don't it at all how they have this exclusive to VR and they're definitely going to miss out on a lot of sales too. But I guess they don't mind that then.

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
Question.
I tried Vive (for meme shit) once and mostly just have being using PSVR.

Can VR game look that good? In terms of IQ?
Depends on your source comparison, did you watch the video directly in front of an old and very large SD TV or in front of a 4k tv that is a couple of arm lengths away from you?

If it's the former then yes, if it's the latter then no (there is one headset that can do it but it's not targeted at the commercial sector)

Agreed, why not model arms too?
They can ruin immersion, everybodys hands are simply two points in space, no matter your arms lengths, everybody sees the same result that fit's their position of their "brain-hands". If you don't model the arms and only the hands then simply nobody cares, only people outside looking in care because their pov is different, like us watching a video of someone else playing. But we are not important if we don't look inside the headset with out our eyes/hands and brain-hands, if you model the arms and they don't match size/proportions/rotation, then they also ruin the correct position of your hands and immersion gets a wedgy.

Samemind

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed, why not model arms too?
Here's the question, which if you haven't had first-hand experience is maybe hard to imagine:

What do you think is more distracting, the fact that you can only see your hands represented in the game or that you have these virtual arms that are clearly not yours because you can visibly see them move in a way that's not matching your real arms' movement?

As it currently stands, it's impossible to derive the position of your arms accurately from just the tracking your hands and head. In order to get arms behaving accurately we'd need more tracking devices strapped to your body; a functionality that is currently possible but is incredibly niche, even by VR standards, because it requires additional hardware. Ultimately, the costs significantly outweigh the benefits.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
It actually looks rather good, man I wish this was for non VR as well. Have it release for the consoles as well, I'd buy it on Xbox in a heartbeat. I don't it at all how they have this exclusive to VR and they're definitely going to miss out on a lot of sales too. But I guess they don't mind that then.
I don't think Valve care about sales here, especially considering the game is being given out for free for those that have Index Controllers/Index itself. It's a AAA story-driven VR FPS game. The first of its kind really. I'd imagine they want to make something truly groundbreaking like the original Half-Life and its sequel. To offer a killer app that truly gets people into VR. That's probably the big motivator here as VR's big issue has always been the content.

whiteninja

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Never played a VR game but how does movement work? is it like a typical controller with a thumbstick? Something you have to do standing up? Im interested but dont have a ton of room and would prefer playing sitting.

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
Rhys fricking Darby? Dammit I didn't want to be convinced. I don't want to spend the money. Damn it looks good.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
This looked.. okay? Not much different than any other "fumble with gun and magazines" style VR game, and there's literally hundreds of them. The interactions with the environment do seem nice though. Also, they didn't show any movement at all, which is what kills every VR game for me.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017

They are giving it away lol. They don't care about sales.

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
This looked like a lucid dream to me.
My heart was pumping so hard, almost there to coming true.

Then I read VR... :(

ArchAngel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck me, a new HL game always meant I would upgrade my PC to play it. Will do again. I want a Oculus sale on BF now!

Samemind

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks to you and others that responded. That sounds pretty good. Interesting that he already played and beat the game but it is coming out 4 months from now.

Game looks bonkers and I may need to get a PC Headset now. What is considered the best VR headset for PC?
Games are playable start to finish many months ahead of release, sometimes even as long as a year ahead of release. The difference is that the game, on release date, will have fewer bugs/more polish than what Geoff has played.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
If everyone is singing it's praise again I might consider getting a PC just to play this. Has to be a GTa/OOT moment of gaming though. I don't play on PC so it would literally be jus to play this game.

FLUXCapacitor

Oct 25, 2017
Why do all these VR games have disconnected hands? Why can't they create the model of your forearm/elbow? Just having floating hands totally kills it for me.

s0l0kill

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

They're not doing this game because they want to make a lot of money on its sales, they're making it because they want to push VR forward.

Prophet Steve

Oct 26, 2017
They are giving it away lol. They don't care about sales.

Giving it away to people with an Index or Index controllers, which are theirs anyway. Most of the VR userbase definitely don't have those and there is a decent price attached to the game.

I do agree that most definitely they have more motivations for this game doing well other than selling the game itself.

evilromero

Oct 27, 2017
Does the interview answer how you move through the environment while also using your hands to grab stuff? Game looks pretty standard as far as FPS games go. Nothing that tickled my Elmo.