• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
does anybody know how to make the spectator window full screen? Not the Steam VR mirror, but the one the game itself creates that displays the HUD and allows smooth movement for viewers.
If you're on Discord and streaming through that it'll allow you to stream directly from the game which creates the Spectator mode view for people. I dunno if it does the same thing with Twitch or recording, but it seems like things can read Alyx separately from SteamVR which hasn't been in the case in the past in my experience.

Ogni-XR21

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Played for appr. 2 hours. Really like it so far, happy there are plenty of difficulty levels to choose from.
Only negative thing for me is the lack of smooth turning. Why??? I know it's one of the worst offenders when it comes to motion sickness, but it's so much better if you can handle it. (I'm hoping I just didn't see the option and someone tells me where to find it)

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I wish there way a way to not do angle snapping camera turns. I experience no motion sickness and it would be less jarring to people watching me.

I also wish there was a way to change the gravity glove glow colour. Not colourblind friendly at all.

TrashFuego

Nov 21, 2017
Wow this game is really mind blowing, at parts it feels like a ride at Disneyland. And I fucking love the gravity gloves mechanic and the little sound it makes when you yoink an object towards yourself.

Burgess_101

Oct 26, 2017
Played for about 2 hours and it's just amazing, had to stop because my back is killing me.

Had an odd bug though, in the train my left hand just disappeared. Reloading the save and the issue persisted, same with restarting the game and then the save. Reloading to an earlier save solved it.

Apart from that, just such a fun experience. Cant wait to pick it up again tomorrow. Boneworks was the first real VR game I really enjoyed and thought wow, and this just continues that in a different way. Just love it.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Oh man this is incredible. Played for like 2 hours.

Ok I need help!
I just got to the Vortigaunt lair painting (puzzle?) andI have no idea what to do? I let the cardboard out the cage and from there I dunno what to do?

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah wow. Damn. Just. Damn
Holy shit.

This game man, this game.

Oh man this is incredible. Played for like 2 hours.

Ok I need help!
I just got to the Vortigaunt lair painting (puzzle?) andI have no idea what to do? I let the cardboard out the cage and from there I dunno what to do?

Follow the wire and trust the eye

There is a big grey box with some buttons on your right, after exiting the tunnel from where you came (not the cave with the glowing paintings). The eye shows you which buttons to push.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Just from watching some streams it's neat how even simple things end up looking like they're a lot of fun for the person playing.

Civilstrife

Oct 27, 2017
If you're on Discord and streaming through that it'll allow you to stream directly from the game which creates the Spectator mode view for people. I dunno if it does the same thing with Twitch or recording, but it seems like things can read Alyx separately from SteamVR which hasn't been in the case in the past in my experience.

It's actually for my husband to watch in the room while I play. The HUD and camera smoothing are great, but it not being full screen makes it much less compelling to watch, unfortunately.

Agentnibs

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is anyone else having trouble starting the game. When I load the game I just get a black screen, I can hear music and the sounds of the environment but I don't see anything.

Any idea? The menu loaded up fine

IMBCIT

Oct 27, 2017
This sounds amazing... bummed that I won't be able to play it anytime soon or possibly at all. :(

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Im sad reading this reactions. The game is constantly crashing for me.

1080ti
Oculus Rift
new drivers for everything.

Crying.

OP
OP
MRORANGE

MRORANGE

Nice thread btw :)
Oct 25, 2017
UK
hZplv4T.gif

MetaCritic: 93

EDGE: 9/10
" Every Half-Life game has had its defining tool. Half-Life: Alyx has the Gravity Gloves. Here is what the Gloves actually do: they extend out the range of your arms in VR, enabling you to reach any item you can see. So the Gloves don't revolutionise interactivity in quite the way their forebears did — they're arguably more solution than invention. But that's all in service of the larger leap in interaction, as Alyx removes the keyboard-and-mouse-shaped barrier between you and Half-Life's world, and lets you get your hands dirty. The hole the Gravity Gun was patching over, we start to realise, was that tapping E to grab a crate and hold it in your hands never quite felt satisfying — so instead HL2 gave you a superpower, the ability to blast objects around as if they were weightless. Alyx goes the other way: you don't need to fling objects because, not only can you pick them up and hold them, you can sweep them aside dramatically or prod with one outstretched finger to see if it'll cause them to topple. These are the nuances of motion Alyx is interested in — letting you express yourself in the way you open a door or handle a rag-dolled body. Every action comes with added physicality. "

VRForums: 100
"You know perfectly well that Valve wasn't going to make a flagship VR title using its beloved Half-Life franchise and do a half-arsed job. A stunningly rich experience from start to finish, Half-Life: Alyx is one of the best VR titles available, a perfect showcase for what VR gaming is capable of. It doesn't exactly break new ground, instead providing familiar Half-Life gameplay all wrapped up in a highly polished VR gift bag. Let's just hope this is the start of things to come and Valve decides to make another Half-Life: Alyx."

VG237: 5/5
" We're in an unprecedented moment in time and we're all scared, we all have our worries – whether it's about family members, yourself, or losing your job. In these crazy times it's so hard to focus on anything, but a VR set and Alyx is like your own personal headcrab, blocking out the senses and letting you puppeteer someone through a series of events where you're the sole agent of change. Where you don't feel powerless. Alyx's main fault is its hardware barrier – I wish more people could afford to experience it. The last thing we need is more people locked off from each other. My neighbours might be quiet, but if we all open our windows at the same time, we'll hear the same birds singing their song. "

GameInformer: 9/10
" Half Life: Alyx is a must-play game worthy of the series' legacy. Despite some puzzles and encounters that feel like filler, the overall experience is strong. The stunning setpieces, beautiful world, and smart writing stand out no matter the medium, and mark a return to form for Valve. If you were waiting for a killer app before you made the investment into virtual reality, this is it. "

IGN: 10/10
" Back when VR first became a real thing and we all started spitballing which game worlds we'd most like to be fully immersed in, Half-Life topped my list (tied with BioShock). It took a few years, but Half-Life: Alyx has more than realized that potential. With it, Valve has set a new bar for VR in interactivity, detail, and level design, showing what can happen when a world-class developer goes all-in on the new frontier of technology. In a lot of ways, it feels like a game from the future, and one that the rest of VR gaming will likely take a good long while to match, much less surpass. "

PC Gamer: 92.100
" The ending is, frankly, wonderful, surprising, exciting, not to mention more than a bit puzzling when you really stop to think about it. I'm eager to see Half-Life fans react and dissect and discuss it, as I'm sure they will for months afterwards, and it makes all sorts of follow-ups to Half-Life: Alyx seem possible. I just fervently hope whatever that follow-up is, that Valve (please, please) doesn't make us wait another 13 years for it. "

q9z8q3h.png

Not even breaking 50,000 players? 93 Metacritic rating? this game is dead on arrival guys.

I knew this game was a mistake, the only way to fix this is somehow this game retconned Episode 2 and we got to play a real Half-Life game with Gordan Freeman.

Sigh.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
This game seems like the coolest game in the last decade or so, wow. Fantastic in every way.

Too bad it's unlikely I'll ever play it :( unless some kind soul would be able to lend me a headset.

Chivalry

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Nov 22, 2018
Played it for an hour. It's awesome. Super immersive, and so much fun to just explore. Easily the best-looking VR game so far.

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
Not even breaking 50,000 players? 93 Metacritic rating? this game is dead on arrival guys.

I knew this game was a mistake, the only way to fix this is somehow this game retconned Episode 2 and we got to play a real Half-Life game with Gordan Freeman.

Sigh.

I know this is satire but man, sub 50k for a freaking Half Life game absolutely sucks. Luckily Valve had a pretty expensive gadget to sell which would help.

Fishsnot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
HOLY SHIT this game really is from the future.
You just cant explain the experience to people.... you really have to try it, or rather experience it.

Mario64 moment of VR and then some.....just have a constant grin on my face the whole time.

Oct 27, 2017
so has anyone found any good no commentary playthroughs yet... i found a few but the couple i did find had the annoying subtitles on, and the ones that dont only uploaded like 2 hours .. -__- guess its really gonna be til the end of the week until a decent NC HD play-through is out. :(

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Playing HL:A is so exciting in a way that's hard to quantify. You know you're basically playing the absolute top of the line technology right now when you play with it. That something like this finally exists is part of the joy.

filkry

Oct 25, 2017
Been really enjoying this (on chapter 4). It's an evolutionary VR game and another high-quality Half Life campaign. My hope is that's there's more brand new stuff coming up (I.e. not from previous Half Life games).

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Played for two and a half uninterrupted hours straight and am only just taking a break because my Quest needs to recharge. Game is fucking wonderful. I'm up to Chapter 4 and so far, may favourite part in spoilers...

Tony Todd was the absolute highlight for me. He's an incredible Vort and was great in the Episodes, but holy shit I was howling at that him and that entire interaction! "My brain... ow!"

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
About to dive in. I have an Oculus CV1 with Touch and 3 sensors. RTX 2060, i7 6700 (non K), 16gm ram. Will report back with performance once I get a chance to play. I have never really played Half Life before, so I hope I dont need to know much about the previous games to get the story.

The story is one of the absolute best part of the half life universe (and portal is a very big part of that story, too). HL:A is the latest chapter in a long running story with lots of details. It very much expects you to be caught up with things.

To give a comparison, it's kind of like jumping into MGS3 without knowing the previous MGS stories.

Buttonbasher

Dec 4, 2017
Using VD and it's working great
VD was extremely stuttery for me at the start, which caused me to switch to Link (in a much smaller room), but giving it a second try now it seems to work just fine, and the game loads a lot faster than before, which makes me wonder if there was just some more going on under the hood on initial launch. Definitely switching to Virtual Desktop for here on out!

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
I know this is satire but man, sub 50k for a freaking Half Life game absolutely sucks. Luckily Valve had a pretty expensive gadget to sell which would help.

Maybe, but just some perspective as someone who keeps tabs on concurrent VR players: Boneworks had the next most concurrent players as far as I'm aware, and it peaked at about 8k (and has probably sold close to a half million copies). This is over 5x that.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
2 hours in...can't play any more as I need a break from standing up now despite the time having absolutely flew by.

As a Half Life fan back to 1998 this shit is just truly incredible. I actually had a tear in my eye when the second Strider went by (the one that takes out Russel's drone).

A lot of latency on the Quest with Link.

Have not noticed anything personally.

SonicFighterV

May 13, 2019
How does the game hold up in Quest ? I would like to know more about visual fidelity. I sold off my oculus headset and have been debating whether I should put $1000 towards Index or if Quest will work fine for this.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Having some more issues now.

When I first load in all the textures will be fine but as I move further into the level textures simply never load in properly and look incredibly low res and out of place. My settings are still on High/Ultra.

Also still getting that Low GPU memory which I'm not sure why since there is plenty of free memory when running the game.
Try disable/enable (depending on what's your current setting) Shadercache in your Nvidia settings.
Also set energy settings in Nvidia settings to maximum performance.
Also check your Windows Energy settings and set them to highest performance.

Buttonbasher

Dec 4, 2017
How does the game hold up in Quest ? I would like to know more about visual fidelity. I sold off my oculus headset and have been debating whether I should put $1000 towards Index or if Quest will work fine for this.
I've been very impressed, specifically with how the OLED screen responds to low light areas. The FOV/refresh rate of the Quest is less than the Index, but the option to play wirelessly makes up for it for me, and visually looks really nice, even if it means holding newspapers up closer to my face than usual, in order to be able to read the text on them.

Oct 27, 2017
Just trying to get some clarification, is the not being able to disable the snap turning bug happening to everyone or is it just an issue for particular headset/controller setups?

Hoping for a quick fix as I'd much rather continue this journey with smooth turning instead of the immersion factor being reduced every time I turn.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
In Alyx's apartment if you point the camera towards the black square that is painted in the window is that the G-Man you see in the camera's viewfinder or my eyes are playing tricks?

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017

Sigh.

More fun on this front - the game has released on a Monday. As a Single player experience, those on a binge may finish the game pretty soon. Sunday would usually be the day to see the peak concurrent users, but that Monday release may change that. Curious to see where it lands.

Regardless, only 3hrs or so in, and I love it. The best VR experience I've had in so many ways and the game is pretty incredible all ready!

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Maybe, but just some perspective as someone who keeps tabs on concurrent VR players: Boneworks had the next most concurrent players as far as I'm aware, and it peaked at about 8k (and has probably sold close to a half million copies). This is over 5x that.

Not to mention Boneworks released a month after the Alyx trailer hit, so in addition to being the VR darling of the moment, it also caught a big wave of interest at a time when headset stock was relatively plentiful. Alyx's peak of ~45k may be a far cry from, say, Skyrim's ~280k, but it's actually higher than I would've guessed.

Last edited: