• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't matter that it's VR. It's an amazing game and one of the best I've played in the last decade or two even.

You had to buy a PlayStation to play The Last of Us when it won GotY, too. Some games are just gonna be on their own platforms and require specific hardware every once in a while. One year it'll be a PS, the next it'll be a Nintendo, the next it'll be VR. Nothing wrong with that. Judge them on their own merit and not on their ability to reach a wide audience.

Off topic, but VR got 2 of my family members into gaming. Period. The last time they played any video games was on Wii, and then maybe an Atari when they were new. I call that a win.

Valve needs to combine their Linux Steam efforts with a standalone headset with the ability to play games like Alyx. Playing it this year with the Oculus 2 wirelessly was a pretty mindblowing thing to behold.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
It's my single player game of the Year by a mile, so I agree. Funny enough, my favorite multiplayer GOTY is Star Wars Squadrons in VR. Been a good year for VR and gaming in general.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
I like that they spent time pointing out that this game is yet to have its full moment in the sun. It is a title that will keep getting brought up for VR newcomers over the next decade as the medium becomes more widely available.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
There's really no reasonable argument that it should be excluded or discredited because it's VR, and I seriously question the inherent bias of a person arguing as much.

Very well deserved. I don't think it'll be my own personal GOTY but it'd probably be top five. It's a gem.

Deleted member 73264

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 28, 2020
I'm glad this game is getting recognition, it sounds like it deserves it - now can someone tell me how to play it without stepping on my cat?

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
It's one of the first games in ages that I felt was revolutionary and awe inspiring. Valve let their creative juices run with this one.

brenobnfm

Sep 28, 2019
Well deserved!
Amazing game. Initial hours screamed next-gen until one becomes acclimatized but great all the way. Looking forward to play it again on better hardware than a 980Ti.

Gamespot also gave another outlier Goty in 2009 in Demon's Souls.

Gamespot doesn't like Naughty Dog much do they lmao

But anyway, Demon's Souls wipes the floor with Uncharted 2 so they made the right choice.