lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
I am skeptical. Renner does not have the Charisma of comics Hawkeye. And being married sort of messes with how disastrous his life is supposed to be.

That said, if we were to contrive him maybe being separated from his wife...that could work. I only bring this up because the writers seem to be cleaving to the story pretty closely, so I wonder if that will extend somehow to Clint's characterization.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Wait what's the cause of deafness?
In the comics a very long time ago there was a Villian who had some mind of machine that made people violent by just listening to it. Hawkeye used a sonic arrow to explode in his mouth-it ruptured his eardrums -but broke control of the machines ability and Hawkeye defeated him.

Hawkeye then died and was resurrected through Scarlet Witch shenanigans and when he came back he wasn't deaf.

In the Hawkeye series that this show is based on he became deaf again so I won't tell the details here but many people were pleased to see that because Hawkeye was one of only a few "disabled" characters. To just "wish"it away was weird. Kind of how Barbara Gordon was an icon for the disabled as Oracle but then she "got better" and became Batgirl again.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Wait what's the cause of deafness?
D4oVkojXsAE0D7_.jpg

Oct 26, 2017
I am skeptical. Renner does not have the Charisma of comics Hawkeye.

This was my major beef with the MCU's handling of the character. Though I'm willing to give Renner the benefit of the doubt since he has to acquiesce to whatever the director's vision for the character is gonna be. He's just so fucking boring in the MCU. If he delivers Fraction's Clint, all will be forgiven. I seriously can't fuckin wait.

Amazing to see confirmation of Hailee too. Between her and Florence, what amazing gets for the MCU

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
Reminder that MCU Hawkeye is based on Ultimate Hawkeye, who is a humorless piece of shit. It's going to be weird to transition from that to Fraction Hawkeye.

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Reminder that MCU Hawkeye is based on Ultimate Hawkeye, who is a humorless piece of shit. It's going to be weird to transition from that to Fraction Hawkeye.

I wouldn't really call his MCU version humourless. A lot more dry and reserved compared to the Fraction run for sure, but nowhere near the lame Ultimate Clint.

I am confused by what exactly is happening here. Did overcoat dude stab him with an arrow?

He is
hiding behind the door while Clint enters, then stabs him in the ear.

IIRC panels directly before and after this give more context and make it clearer

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't really call his MCU version humourless. A lot more dry and reserved compared to the Fraction run for sure, but nowhere near the lame Ultimate Clint.

Nope, I agree, MCU Clint is way better than the Ultimate version, but they still chose a garbage alternate to base the character on.

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I am skeptical. Renner does not have the Charisma of comics Hawkeye. And being married sort of messes with how disastrous his life is supposed to be.

That said, if we were to contrive him maybe being separated from his wife...that could work. I only bring this up because the writers seem to be cleaving to the story pretty closely, so I wonder if that will extend somehow to Clint's characterization.
When does this series take place? Pre-Endgame and he has those years without his family, post-Endgame and he has the fallout of his actions as Ronin to deal with. Both of those could mess his life up.

Deleted member 35509

Account closed at user request
Banned
Dec 6, 2017

This takes place before and after Endgame.

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
I audibly gasped when I saw Lucky the Pizza Dog. My sisters unfortunately did not get it.

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
Clint is one of the best Avengers and I think a show is perfect for him. When given something decent -- Ghost Protocol, the main bright spots of AOU, Civil War, Endgame minus a certain moment -- Renner can be pretty damn good. He's not the fancast that Jensen Ackles is but he has performed pretty admirably given the dearth of material.

Also, extremely hype for Kate Bishop. Need Miles to get in this too so we get Kate/Miles/Kamala on the same team.

Aprikurt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 29, 2017
Is he really though? Like Avengers is loosely, loooosely based on the Ultimates run, but it isn't really.

Like nowhere in Avengers 2012 did we get Hulk chasing down Betty to tell her how horny he was.

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
Even without the costume she looks like she walked off the page. The realities of live action shooting getting us some Young Avengers action so 'early' is simply marvelous.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
Is he really though? Like Avengers is loosely, loooosely based on the Ultimates run, but it isn't really.

Like nowhere in Avengers 2012 did we get Hulk chasing down Betty to tell her how horny he was.

This would be an extremely compelling argument if I said that Hulk was based on the Ultimates version.

Aprikurt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 29, 2017
This would be an extremely compelling argument if I said that Hulk was based on the Ultimates version.
No but I mean in general Avengers 2012, including Hawkeye was "based" on the Ultimate version.

What about Hawkeye specifically ties him to the Ultimate incarnation? I'm curious more than anything. I've just started reading Fraction and it's goooood.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
No but I mean in general Avengers 2012, including Hawkeye was "based" on the Ultimate version.

What about Hawkeye specifically ties him to the Ultimate incarnation? I'm curious more than anything. I've just started reading Fraction and it's goooood.

Cap and Hulk are more obviously based on the 616 versions than their Ultimates versions. The MCU was selective about from where they drew their inspiration, it isn't all taken from Ultimates. Some of the more modern trappings, maybe. But MCU Cap is nothing like Ultimates Cap, and for good reason. They elected to not do the former criminal/carnival act purple, winged-mask Hawkeye for the MCU, and instead do the stoic, hard-ass relatively personality-less secret agent Ultimates version. The 616 version is more of a charismatic, ladies' man kind of bro.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017

The MCU essentially takes the initial Ultimates setup and replaces everyone with their 616 counterparts. So MCU Hawkeye has Ultimate's history as a SHIELD agent and his shared history through SHIELD with Black Widow (in the original comics he was a circus archer who briefly turned petty criminal with Black Widow before they both reformed), but has 616's personality as a somewhat sarcastic-jokey good dude (he started in Ultimates as a straight-laced secret agent and kind of a blood psychopath at that lol).

Nov 16, 2017
Disney Plus is gonna be lit next year. Hawkeye, Loki, Wandavision, Falcon & Winter Soldier, Ms. Marvel, possibly Moon Knight and She-Hulk.

COVID may have messed up the MCU train this year but between these shows and the movies, it's coming back with a vengeance.