• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What is your favorite weapon?

• Stygius / Stygian Blade

Votes: 69 7.0%
  • Varatha / Eternal Spear

Votes: 234 23.6%
  • Aegis / Shield of Chaos

Votes: 191 19.3%
  • Coronacht / Heart-Seeking Bow

Votes: 218 22.0%
  • Malphon / Twin Fists of Malphon

Votes: 190 19.2%
  • Exagryph / Adamant Rail

Votes: 88 8.9%

• Total voters
Oct 26, 2017
Any good builds and weapon for a beginner? Best I was able to reach was the Thesius and Minotaur fight which seemed like I was not doing any damage. Used a spear upgraded to have Ares on Special and Hammer upgraded it to be three pronged.

Wracu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, I've reached the final boss in Elysium thrice already - spear, bow and sword but they have stomped me each time lol.

Any tips how to beat them? Should I aim for some specific builds?

Stay along the outside edges and 1 v 1 Asterius. You'll easily be able to block the spear throw with all the columns. Proceed to trash Theseus. If Artemis is the one to help him you've basically won. Just stay on the outside ring again and you won't have to worry about her attacks. Demeter's cast also destroys Theseus. Bait his throw so he turns and walks away. Drop those lasers on his ass. You can easily kill him without taking damage that way.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Sweet mother of all that is good and pure, you guys were right, this is amazing.

Question about nectar: I gave my first to Cerberus because he's the goodest boy. He gave me a cool item. I've got a second nectar now. Is it generally better to stick with giving them to the same person, or splash these gifts around fairly evenly? I quite like discovering a lot of this game's tricks and secrets myself but I'm getting FOMO syndrome with the nectar and how many options there are for who gets it =P

Oct 27, 2017
So, I've reached the final boss in Elysium thrice already - spear, bow and sword but they have stomped me each time lol.

Any tips how to beat them? Should I aim for some specific builds?

It's a bit all over the place this, so I apologise for that. But know that I found them to be a wall at first, yet now they're a high curb.

Obvious tips: use the larger obstacles to hide from the spear throw attack. Keep your distance. Make use of cast and range attacks.

My Eternal Spear Daedalus Hammer builds when I've beaten them:
Extending Jab; Vicious Skewer (+50% damage; +50% chance to crit on recovery - recovery crit = handy to use on Theseus as back attack); Flurry Jab (hold attack button for constant strikes); and there's another which causes your spear to attack as 3 prongs instead of 1. That'll help if you have accuracy issues.
Maxed out Titan Blood upgrades to Aspect of Zagreus spear. (Special Damage, Range, & Speed)
I also usually have Deflect on attack and or dash.

Look out for Hermes speed boons; anything that adds to your dash count or general speed; activate double dash in Nyx's mirror. Sharp U-turns are super effective against Asterius.

Get the keepsake from Bony-guy for an extra life. Get as many Death Defiances as you can. If the option for NPC appears above the door in Elysium, TAKE IT. Opt for the gift which replenishes all Death Defiances, if you've lost any getting there.

I don't know which of their attacks this works on best, but it is possible for them to hurt one another accidentally.

Keep at it if you're enjoying the game; they stomped me a good few times as well and now I find them all but pish.

scarlet

Oct 25, 2017
Ssxhbdw.jpg

Hunting blades was crazy good! It disrupted Hades!

Also first time back to back win!

Weapon rank so far Bow > gun > shield >>>>> others

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
On the spectrum of Rogue Legacy to Enter the Gungeon, what is the progression like in terms of unlocks? Is it more incremental upgrades to your character or adding more to the item pool for subsequent runs?

Caesar III

Jan 3, 2018
Sweet mother of all that is good and pure, you guys were right, this is amazing.

Question about nectar: I gave my first to Cerberus because he's the goodest boy. He gave me a cool item. I've got a second nectar now. Is it generally better to stick with giving them to the same person, or splash these gifts around fairly evenly? I quite like discovering a lot of this game's tricks and secrets myself but I'm getting FOMO syndrome with the nectar and how many options there are for who gets it =P
Start with one to each one to get the gift. After that do as you see fit

Nov 13, 2017

You get an item for your first gift so give one to every single NPC in the game first. Then, start romancing either: Dusa, Meg, or Thanatos by giving them more of that nectar every time you see them.

Aug 18, 2020
Shield is the safest weapon in the game because of the blocking while still doing good damage. Some of its aspects are insanely good.

With that said, if it doesn't click for you, it doesn't. Particularly I suck with both shield and rail, and find shield in general super boring and unsatisfying.

I think that might be it; compared to the other three weapons I have access to -- the combat doesn't seem to have that same pop to it. But I'm sure that also has to do with becoming more familiar with the various boons and crafting a killer build.

Nonetheless, I've only played about 15 runs so far and have a long journey ahead through the Underworld... accidentally stepping on its many, many traps.

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
Well done!

Question: the gold markers on the abilities on the left side of the screen, do they indicate your most used abilities, powers, etc, or...?

If you mean the little arrows on the top left that just indicates what is being highlighted in the center for the end game screenshot. You can click any boon/ability and they'll check on/off and you can show off your top 5 most important parts of your build.

robot

Oct 27, 2017
Finally saw credits after 25 hours and 27 runs. It...seems I'm kinda decent at the game? Hades still gives me trouble though, only one run where I haven't died to him at all.
It was a nice story beat to give you the 10th win for free. And good for me since I was trying a slam build that devastated the Styx rooms but was going to be a bit tough against the old man. I wish knockback worked on bosses though it's obvious why it doesn't.

Jun 17, 2018
Fun game so far but the framerate is a bit bonkers on Switch. I've also started getting a bit of stick drift on the odd occasion which is mildly frustrating.

Oct 27, 2017
I never paid attention, so I don't know :(

No worries! I noticed them on my clear screens too, and they can be shifted about – I had hoped they would be the things which you could keep, or at the very least would start with on next run. No such luck! I guess it just a way to select and look over 5 things which helped you on your run.

If you mean the little arrows on the top left that just indicates what is being highlighted in the center for the end game screenshot. You can click any boon/ability and they'll check on/off and you can show off your top 5 most important parts of your build.

There you go! Cheers for confirming.

Oct 25, 2017

The first nectar to everybody will give you a keepsake. After that don't expect anything besides story and character development until you are suddenly forbidden to give more nectar - to like 5 characters or so (kinda pulling a random number). Those will have further rewards when you crack their locks down, both in terms of bigger/more significant story and gear.

How many biomes/levels does this game have?
Four "and a half". Last one isn't a full area in the same scale as the first four.

touchfuzzy

Banned
Jul 27, 2019
Almost has Theseus today but he got a good god power - Aphrodite attacks in gigantic rings that baited me out from behind the pillars, dang. I'll get him!

my next run I get to try the gun for the first time, should be fun as I've done a lot better with the range weapons (or at least ones that have range options, sword and fists are boo).

Also chuckling at the guys saying "At least I can blow through Meg now!" — yeah, I was feeling the same. Just wait.

NeonBorealis

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Jan 10, 2018
I've determined the main strategies for the bosses of the first three stratums. They all revolve around a single concept each (of course all apply on all fights, but I think that each boss embodies a strategy better).

The furies requiere MOVEMENT, you myst keep on your toes in this fight. Otherwise you are dead, since the furies's attacks actively follow you/target your position.

The hydra requires PATIENCE, since the heads of the hydra are mostly stationary, you can take your time and space yourself properly. The boss has some very obvious down periods that you can capitalize on.

Asterius and Theseus require POSITIONING AWARENESS, since you are juggling two enemies at once, yiu need to pay attention to both their positions on the arena relative to yours and to their (heavily telegraphed) attacks. Otherwise, you risk getting comboed by their attacks.

I still haven't defeated Hades. But he seems to combine all three and add TIMING and ARENA CONTROL into rhe mix

kid_zomb

Creative Director, Supergiant Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Mill Valley, CA
a fucking shame that this game isn't going to come to other consoles.

Hey, all we've said is we have no plans for other versions of Hades right now, because we put everything we had into the Switch and PC launch last week. We'll be considering opportunities to bring the game to additional platforms down the line and appreciate the interest.

kid_zomb

Creative Director, Supergiant Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Mill Valley, CA
Oh and finally met Thanny boy... on run 26.
He only appears after 20 (maybe 22?) runs, so that tracks :)

A while ago in Early Access, Thanatos could not appear until at least a certain escape attempt, so you might be remembering that -- but it's no longer the case. He requires
having met Alecto or Tisiphone, and is first encountered in Elysium. Once you've met him in Elysium, he can appear in any earlier region.

Zolbrod

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka, Japan
Took a couple of runs to click for me, but now I'm really enjoying it.
Really loving the spear and especially the shield.

Love how new stuff just keeps getting added on every run, and the writing is great too.

Kami

Jul 13, 2020
Is there a good review/overview of this game so I can get a sense of the gameplay? Never really played this style of game before.

Oct 25, 2017
A while ago in Early Access, Thanatos could not appear until at least a certain escape attempt, so you might be remembering that -- but it's no longer the case. He requires
having met Alecto or Tisiphone, and is first encountered in Elysium. Once you've met him in Elysium, he can appear in any earlier region.
0:
Too many changes!

Any tips for dealing with poison enemies? I don't quite understand why I'm dying so fast.
Run to the springs and press the interact button to cleanse the poison!

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah.

Also, I was having the greatest run ever, like absolutely demolishing everything and 2 minutes under my previous record... then I discovered that the final boss's green pots are actualy traps.

RIP.

Cheers. I've avoided it for some reason. (Base damage stat read low to me.) Will give it a bash today.

I'm sure there are other ways around the green pots, but Dash Deflect makes them a breeze and is v useful for deflecting the skull attack, too.

Danielsan

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Just got the final keepsake and my fifth secret weapon aspect. I think I'm close to being done with the game for the time being. I'm probably going to wrap up a few more things this week, as well as try finishing a 16 heat run. Absolutely love the game (I put in over 45 hours now), but I do wish there was a bit more variety in the runs. I feel that the bosses especially could have used a bit more variety. The first two boss fight have some minor variants, but the Elysium and Hades fights feel the same every time.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Hey, all we've said is we have no plans for other versions of Hades right now, because we put everything we had into the Switch and PC launch last week. We'll be considering opportunities to bring the game to additional platforms down the line and appreciate the interest.

Thanks for the amazing game!

You folks ought to be very proud of yourselves.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Cheers. I've avoided it for some reason. (Base damage stat read low to me.) Will give it a bash today.
The base damage looks low but it applies every 0.2 seconds that the laser is on an enemy. If you get a few upgrades like having it apply the freeze status effect, letting you rapidly throw out your casts, giving you more casts, etc. it becomes insane. There's even a duo boon that makes the laser track enemies so there's no need to even aim them. I've had these casts on like 5 of my 7 successful runs.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I'm tempted to double dip and buy it on Switch too so I can play it portably. Although technically my gaming computer is a laptop (being used in a desktop setup), so I guess I COULD play it portably that way if I wanted.

Oct 27, 2017
The base damage looks low but it applies every 0.2 seconds that the laser is on an enemy. If you get a few upgrades like having it apply the freeze status effect, letting you rapidly throw out your casts, giving you more casts, etc. it becomes insane. There's even a duo boon that makes the laser track enemies so there's no need to even aim them. I've had these casts on like 5 of my 7 successful runs.

That duo boon sounds OP af xD Can't wait to try it now.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
How does this perform on the Switch? Is it playable in handheld?
lol, yes it is playable. The framerate is a pretty solid 60fps about 90% of the time. When there's a ton of enemies and effects on screen you will notice some slowdown but it doesn't last long and it has never gotten so bad that it affects the gameplay. It would be nice if those moments get ironed out but it's perfectly playable.

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
18 wins in 35 runs, on a 11 win streak.

Heat progress is stil slow because I still play whichever weapon is thirsty. But I think the switch in weapons is keeping it fun for me. Definitely keeping it down to 1 run(=1 win ;-)) per day now though. I have only myself to blame for feeling tired of the game when I did like 5 runs a day.

Last edited:

scarlet

Oct 25, 2017
Another win with Chiron. Sadly lost before this, so losing my streak.

Also got my first companion from Meg.

Hidden aspects are still hidden tho.

Man, Demeter's cast is OP. Easily my favorite.

Wait until you get hunting blades.

My fave so far

Duo: Cold Fusion (Zeus/Demeter) and Hunting Blades (Ares/Artemis)
Cast: Hunting Blades
Call: Aphrodite, Ares, Poseidon, Artemis
Dash: Athena, Dio, Demeter

Last edited:

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stay along the outside edges and 1 v 1 Asterius. You'll easily be able to block the spear throw with all the columns. Proceed to trash Theseus. If Artemis is the one to help him you've basically won. Just stay on the outside ring again and you won't have to worry about her attacks. Demeter's cast also destroys Theseus. Bait his throw so he turns and walks away. Drop those lasers on his ass. You can easily kill him without taking damage that way.

Don't you need to complete a run in order to unlock Demeter?

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
I really want to see Apollo added if possible as the final major Greek god. Seems like a focus on fire / the sun would be an easy fit, and like Aphrodite he'd be horny as hell for Zagreaus.

This Is the only game I've ever backed in early access, and it's so impressive how far it's come. The amount of different builds and variety is staggering, and there's so much content here. Really hoping the game is successful enough to see further support - it's easily one of the best games of the year.