• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What is your favorite weapon?

• Stygius / Stygian Blade

Votes: 69 7.0%
  • Varatha / Eternal Spear

Votes: 234 23.6%
  • Aegis / Shield of Chaos

Votes: 191 19.3%
  • Coronacht / Heart-Seeking Bow

Votes: 218 22.0%
  • Malphon / Twin Fists of Malphon

Votes: 190 19.2%
  • Exagryph / Adamant Rail

Votes: 88 8.9%

• Total voters

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Thankyou!

I have tried the cast build with the better tracking duo boon, but I end up getting killed because I spend too long worrying about them tracking and not enough time avoiding damage! :)

I have found some great success with "stubborn roots" the healing duo boon.

I've not seen it in many videos but I think it suits my playstyle where I can only do one thing at once.

I've found I can "slow play" quite a few encounters in Styx, keeping one enemy alive etc, and so stay at full health.

Fighting redacted, I can also slow play the first half, and go into the second phase at full health. Even in the second phase I can dodge enough to heal, although I take the odd hit. Then I can "spend" all my health getting hits in on redacted to finish off the second phase.

I've had Artemis call a few times but never had it crazy high level. Im going to try that out as it sounds fun :)
Early on, I made sure to always have 3+ dashes, and to use Hermes to increase my movement speed. One of my biggest issues was leaning the safe distances from attacks, so having extra wiggle room was helpful.

Learning to dash through enemies as they were about to attack is huge, too. Since a ton of the enemies dash forward when they attack, going through them will increase the odds of safety.

Using the Acorn in the tunnels and Redacted. Since a lot of damage comes from beams and poison, having something that will interrupt that near instant damage until you can get to safety is actually huge.

Hope that helps, too.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Early on, I made sure to always have 3+ dashes, and to use Hermes to increase my movement speed. One of my biggest issues was leaning the safe distances from attacks, so having extra wiggle room was helpful.

Learning to dash through enemies as they were about to attack is huge, too. Since a ton of the enemies dash forward when they attack, going through them will increase the odds of safety.

Using the Acorn in the tunnels and Redacted. Since a lot of damage comes from beams and poison, having something that will interrupt that near instant damage until you can get to safety is actually huge.

Hope that helps, too.
Yeah - I'll try out the acorn again. I was abusing redacted blossom to get a power spike but i think i need safety more.

A LOT of youtube videos focus on how to get lots of damage, with maybe a little bit of safety (e.g. shield) but actually i think below average players (like me) actually need safety.

Once I realised it's much safer to dash through redacted it's pretty easy to avoid him for 40-50 seconds, which is 40+ health back on stubborn roots. I got into a technique of getting down to say 150 health then hiding (with the occasional cock up and extra hit) to get back to 240 or 270 or whatever and then go into attack mode again.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah - I'll try out the acorn again. I was abusing redacted blossom to get a power spike but i think i need safety more.

A LOT of youtube videos focus on how to get lots of damage, with maybe a little bit of safety (e.g. shield) but actually i think below average players (like me) actually need safety.

Once I realised it's much safer to dash through redacted it's pretty easy to avoid him for 40-50 seconds, which is 40+ health back on stubborn roots. I got into a technique of getting down to say 150 health then hiding (with the occasional cock up and extra hit) to get back to 240 or 270 or whatever and then go into attack mode again.
Oh! I played a bit of Hades today, and realized that the best progress I was having with a protective charm was the Broken Spear. Since it protects and keeps recharging, buying that half extra second as needed. Unless I'm misremembering, It's a little more forgiving for long fights of dodging.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got the platinum. The last trophy was the 16 heat run which was kind of difficult for me. It is really nice that the platinum almost concluded with the epilogue and the last story bits. The last few runs felt like a victory lap because everybody commented on the concluded story. Great game and worth every second.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Finally, on escape attempt 32, completed my first successful escape attempt. What a fucking masterpiece of a game. And to realize that there's so much more to go now in terms of extra layers of gameplay and story? Fucking incredible. This game feels like it's made for me.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Got the last achievement! There are a few loose plot hooks floating around but I'll have those done pretty soon. No plans of attempting the 32 heat run lol

Just need to get Dusa back and finish my bond with Demeter

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
Beat Hades for the first time, so I'm super pumped.

Question though, I'm going for another run and I decided to uhh, not add anything for the Pact of Punishment and start anyway lol. Is there any downside here, other than of course not being able to receive any of the rewards from doing so?

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Beat Hades for the first time, so I'm super pumped.

Question though, I'm going for another run and I decided to uhh, not add anything for the Pact of Punishment and start anyway lol. Is there any downside here, other than of course not being able to receive any of the rewards from doing so?
If you do it with another weapon, you'll get rewards (that you didn't get before, anyway).

Otherwise, no. I believe you can do all the major story stuff with out increasing pacts. However, you will miss some fun one off dialogue moments, particularly the Emergency Measures levels, iirc.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
If you do it with another weapon, you'll get rewards (that you didn't get before, anyway).

Otherwise, no. I believe you can do all the major story stuff with out increasing pacts. However, you will miss some fun one off dialogue moments, particularly the Emergency Measures levels, iirc.
Cool, cool, thanks for the info. I'll definitely mess around with it at some point but wanted to focus on the story for now.

Borgus

Apr 14, 2020
Toronto
Decided to grab this for the Switch cause I felt like replaying and its pretty dope having it in handheld form. Somehow I'm enjoying this game more than ever. Beat Hades on my 15th run and am turning up the heat little by little. Still just grabbing whatever weapon is glowing and rolling with it, so I'm at around Heat 4/5 for each one. On a streak with 9 clears right now too which feels good.

Here's a clip of a recent encounter with redacted that was a great run. Beat it with no death defiances used which was a first for me, I think.

About to do a Heat 5 run with the fists. Should keep the streak going.

EDIT: Streak is still going. Just did a run with Excalibur and it felt like easy-mode. Ran Dionysus and Demeter and nothing could move.

Last edited:

Chocobo Blade

The Wise Ones
Oct 29, 2017
Picked Hades up again after not having played since early access and I'm still having a blast. Having actual endings after beating the final boss feels amazing. Gotta love how on my last run I ended up going into the final fight with a real failed build, ready to have my ass handed to me and it was the time he let's you pass without a fight lol. Although I have to say I found the final ending a little underwhelming. Are there more major story beats to get after bringing Persephone back?

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
So I'm a bit confused. How many times do I have to beat Hades before I unlock the "true ending?" Based off a search, it seems to be a "minimum" of 10 times? But what does that mean? I love this game, but I don't really want to put 30 tries in to get the ending lol.

I'm 5 runs in and I'm still loving it, because of all the other content and story lore I'm seeing.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
So I'm a bit confused. How many times do I have to beat Hades before I unlock the "true ending?" Based off a search, it seems to be a "minimum" of 10 times? But what does that mean? I love this game, but I don't really want to put 30 tries in to get the ending lol.

I'm 5 runs in and I'm still loving it, because of all the other content and story lore I'm seeing.
The regular ending is 10 complete runs and the epilogue requires maxing out affinity with around 6 Olympian gods.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
The regular ending is 10 complete runs and the epilogue requires maxing out affinity with around 6 Olympian gods.
Ahh, very interesting, thanks. I'm going to hold off on giving Nectar to all the non-Olympian gods then lol.

Edit - Oh, apparently I'll need Ambrosia as well? This should be fun.

Last edited:

Chocobo Blade

The Wise Ones
Oct 29, 2017
Honestly what were they thinking with Than's second portrait. The only thing I dislike about the game lol
latest
Stuff of nightmares.

Chocobo Blade

The Wise Ones
Oct 29, 2017
Finally got the epilogue and I'm honestly pretty disappointed. A lot of setup for very little payoff, like they ran out of budget at that point. Not sure what happened here but it really constrasts with how the rest of the game is so rich in dialogue and characterization.
After the entire game building up the Olympians' characters having them all come together sounded really exciting. But then having the actual event be just a pretty short narration felt incredibly anticlimactic. I wasn't expecting them all to have 3d models and appear in the House (tho that would be the dream) but just having a few more scenes like the one with Zeus and Hades shaking hands would go a long way to make it more satisfying. Or even have just dialogue interactions with some generic background. Especially not having any Demeter/Persephone interaction is just narrative blue balls.
But regardless of this it's still easily among my favourite games of all time. Even a somewhat unsatisfying ending can't negate just how much fun I've had with it. Insane quality pretty much all the way through. Really excited for whatever's next from supergiant.

Milky Way

Oct 29, 2017
I got this on switch and I am fucking obsessed. I suck at it though. Made it to the last level a few times and got to the 2nd part of the fight but keep dying. Been trying to run Chaos Shield with Ares special stacking doom and Athena dash. I'm on run like 45…..so bad. My favorite build so far is ares cast and ares dash and just run around in circles as they get eaten by the vortex haha

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
I think I finally found a game I'm good at lol, managed to beat Hades on my 11th run with the spear and then again on my 12th run with the sword, basically ignoring the specials and just going in with atack and dash-strike.

Just failed on my 13th run with the rail weapon, I kinda hated it tbh.

I'm not sure what should I do now, there are all these Heat modifiers now and the weapon aspects...should I focus on beating the game with each weapon before activating the modifiers?

SeanShards

Oct 25, 2017
I think I finally found a game I'm good at lol, managed to beat Hades on my 11th run with the spear and then again on my 12th run with the sword, basically ignoring the specials and just going in with atack and dash-strike.

Just failed on my 13th run with the rail weapon, I kinda hated it tbh.

I'm not sure what should I do now, there are all these Heat modifiers now and the weapon aspects...should I focus on beating the game with each weapon before activating the modifiers?

You can get the rewards for clears with each indvidual weapon, plus you get 10 Titan Blood for beating a run with all six weapons, which gives you a nice boost. I'd probably do that first before worrying about Heat.

Reached the epilogue today, after playing on and off since 1.0. One of my favourite games of all time. I have a few challenges for myself I want to do but I'm ready for a very long break from this game. An unforgettable experience.

404Ender

Oct 25, 2017
Any tips for clearing 32 heat? I'm best with ranged weapons and I've been focusing on high damage output for the final battle (Hestia, Eris, Chiron), but also things that aren't too reliant on multi-boon combos since I apply the conditions that remove 1 of the 3 choices and also that force you to sell 1 at the end of each stage.

I get to REDACTED without much trouble but always lose to him, even with all of my death defiances. Maybe I need to reconsider the conditions I'm using…

tmdorsey

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Georgia
So, I couldn't help myself. I doubled dipped and bought this for PS5 while it was 25% off after having bought it last year on Switch. I love this game too much not have a platinum trophy for it so "Ah shit here we go again…"

Zachary_Games

Jul 31, 2020
Hades is everything and more than all the praise. Holy hell, this game rocks. Definitely in my top 10 of all-time. I am still playing almost at the platinum. Already 120 hours deep and I've only been playing for 3 and half weeks, eek.

Game is fucking crack. Designed to perfection. 120 hours in and it hasn't overstayed its welcome. Truly incredible. I only need one more trophy for the platinum. Infernal Arms… its a tad grindy but its ok because each run is so much fun. With that said, I'm going to enable God Mode just to expedite the endeavor.

Hades may have a permanent home on my SSD.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I've now beaten 2 runs, and have 8 more to go apparently until I hit the credits

Is there any reason I shouldn't swap Ambrosia for more Titan Blood if I just want to hit the credits now?

Also is it essential to engage with the heat system? I might use a few levels to get more Titan blood but I feel like I can probably knock out another 8 wins in the next 12-14 attempts with my current skillset

Skiptastic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've now beaten 2 runs, and have 8 more to go apparently until I hit the credits

Is there any reason I shouldn't swap Ambrosia for more Titan Blood if I just want to hit the credits now?

Also is it essential to engage with the heat system? I might use a few levels to get more Titan blood but I feel like I can probably knock out another 8 wins in the next 12-14 attempts with my current skillset
From my playthroughs, if you just want to hit the credits, then yeah, you should invest in Titan Blood if you want to get new builds on your weapons. And no, you do not need to engage with the heat system unless you want more rewards.

I saved up all the Ambrosia I could because I was trying to max out friendships but that's a different path than what you're on.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Blood and darkness!! Why did I wait so long to play this?? I started it a few weeks ago and have barely put it down since. Just got the plat so I'm pretty much finished and I know the thread's dead now but I had to gush about this game for a bit somewhere. I didn't know much about it originally other than that Zagreus is hot so I said alright I'll keep my eye on it. Then I noticed all the GOTY talk so I knew for sure I'd have to check it out eventually, and I'm so glad I did. I had my doubts going in but I finally understand all the acclaim.

I've never played a roguelike and don't typically enjoy dying repeatedly in games, but Hades integrates its gameplay and story in such a graceful and humorous way that it clicked perfectly for me. The combat was so fun and the amount of unique, circumstantial dialogue was impressive, not to mention the great voice acting. It feels so good when your boons line up just right and you're living your best godly life. Also the game gets extra points from me for being amazingly gay with some well written relationships unfolding naturally. We got Zagreus and Thanatos! We got Achilles and Patroclus!! We got... whatever's going on between Theseus and Asterius, I'm pretty sure they're not just roommates let's be honest.

My first successful escape attempt was on my 26th run. Out of my 121 total attempts, 60 were successful... well, at least it's balanced. Highest heat I've successfully done is 16 and I'm not planning on suffering beyond that any time soon lol.

Anyway, I'm really interested to see what Supergiant does next! Ironically I've had Bastion and Transistor stuck in my backlog after buying them on sale forever ago, so I'll have to finally play them too when I get the chance.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Yea they're definitely not gay. I mean, I know there is a lot of LGBT+ representation in the game but it's also fine for guys to be intimate friends. A thing that should also have more representation.

You blackguards.

Dec 31, 2021
Sorry to raise this thread from the dead (no pun intended... probably?) but I just got Game Pass a couple months ago, had started playing this in late June but burned out on it after hitting a wall against the final boss in mid-July, but with the recent announcement it's leaving Game Pass at the end of the month I decided to jump back in and at least try to get to the epilogue and complete as many sidequests as I can. I even ended up turning on god mode even though it made me feel like a wimp, but to my surprise I only died another couple of times after that before getting my first successful clear, and after that I got enough clears to complete the main story quest with only one further death along the way.

The feeling when you get a build where everything just clicks into place and you can start annihilating stuff is great. I think my favorite so far was with the blade when I had Cursed Slash, Flurry Slash, Curse of Agony, Swift Strike, Dire Misfortune, and Support Fire. Just close the distance to an enemy and start hacking away, and I can both stack up immense damage and heal myself in a flash at the same time.
At the same time though, sometimes the RNG can feel like it's really working against you.

I had a few questions about both general stuff and post-main-story stuff:
  • For most of the character sidequests (the ones with attached prophecies/achievements), do you need to have the relevant characters' bonds at a high level or maxed out in order to complete them or even to start them? I got "Musician & Muse" to start without full bonds but don't know if I need to max out bonds to finish it or just need to keep talking and maybe complete other tasks, since I'm trying to save nectar to level up Olympian bonds.
  • How much use do gemstones have if you don't want to spend on cosmetic upgrades? I'm thinking of doing some currency conversion (gems to keys to nectar) before every run to set up a stock of nectar to boost bond levels for whoever I meet, as long as I don't need gems for anything else.
  • On the same note, will I need a lot of diamonds to buy things to finish sidequests? So far there were just a couple things I've seen that diamonds were needed for (Orpheus' initial sentence, opening the admin chamber, buying a lyre) and I want to buy another couple upgrades but don't want to run out if I need them otherwise.
  • About when you're given the option to "borrow": is there a specific way to get that to appear or is it just pure super-rare RNG? I've only seen it once so far, but it seemed like such an obvious trap that I skipped it but it stood out so much that it's one of the few things I went to outright look up afterwards and learned it's how you get the loyalty card.
  • And as far as further clears go once you finish the main story, in general do they only really serve the purpose of getting the last boss clear rewards for higher heat levels and raising your heat rewards cap (and also the chance of getting to fish on the surface)? So if I didn't mind the blemishes on my record I could just do a bunch of runs purely to farm for certain upgrades/boons/resources/etc and not worry too much about whether or not I can fully clear each one?

Arrrammis

Oct 25, 2017
I had a few questions about both general stuff and post-main-story stuff:
  • For most of the character sidequests (the ones with attached prophecies/achievements), do you need to have the relevant characters' bonds at a high level or maxed out in order to complete them or even to start them? I got "Musician & Muse" to start without full bonds but don't know if I need to max out bonds to finish it or just need to keep talking and maybe complete other tasks, since I'm trying to save nectar to level up Olympian bonds.
  • How much use do gemstones have if you don't want to spend on cosmetic upgrades? I'm thinking of doing some currency conversion (gems to keys to nectar) before every run to set up a stock of nectar to boost bond levels for whoever I meet, as long as I don't need gems for anything else.
  • On the same note, will I need a lot of diamonds to buy things to finish sidequests? So far there were just a couple things I've seen that diamonds were needed for (Orpheus' initial sentence, opening the admin chamber, buying a lyre) and I want to buy another couple upgrades but don't want to run out if I need them otherwise.
  • About when you're given the option to "borrow": is there a specific way to get that to appear or is it just pure super-rare RNG? I've only seen it once so far, but it seemed like such an obvious trap that I skipped it but it stood out so much that it's one of the few things I went to outright look up afterwards and learned it's how you get the loyalty card.
  • And as far as further clears go once you finish the main story, in general do they only really serve the purpose of getting the last boss clear rewards for higher heat levels and raising your heat rewards cap (and also the chance of getting to fish on the surface)? So if I didn't mind the blemishes on my record I could just do a bunch of runs purely to farm for certain upgrades/boons/resources/etc and not worry too much about whether or not I can fully clear each one?
  • Varies by character, from what I remember there are some that unlock once you hit a certain point in their bond, others are just pure RNG when they show up, others have other more specific triggers
  • Once you unlock the fountain room renovations and such, there's only cosmetics to unlock really.
  • Yeah, you will always have something to spend diamonds on. I believe the most diamonds you'll have to spend on for any one quest is 10, but there's a few opportunities to spend them.
  • The option to borrow is always rare RNG
  • Generally yeah. IIRC you need to fully complete a run in the current heat before you get the rewards for the next one (e.g. you can't just farm the first boss over and over increasing the heat each time to get that one resource). You can however do something like turning the heat to 10, then doing a run gets you rewards for heat 1, then doing a second run at heat 10 gets you the rewards for heat 2, etc. . I remember at a certain point where I was just interested in the characters resetting and getting more story, I'd start a run, end the run in the first room, and go back to all the characters back in the house to continue the conversations.

Dec 31, 2021
Nothing worse than seeing this thread get bumped and mourn over the fact that this game never got DLC
I do apologize about that, didn't mean to get anyone's hopes up. Though hopefully Supergiant is well at work at whatever their next game will be.
  • Varies by character, from what I remember there are some that unlock once you hit a certain point in their bond, others are just pure RNG when they show up, others have other more specific triggers
  • Once you unlock the fountain room renovations and such, there's only cosmetics to unlock really.
  • Yeah, you will always have something to spend diamonds on. I believe the most diamonds you'll have to spend on for any one quest is 10, but there's a few opportunities to spend them.
  • The option to borrow is always rare RNG
  • Generally yeah. IIRC you need to fully complete a run in the current heat before you get the rewards for the next one (e.g. you can't just farm the first boss over and over increasing the heat each time to get that one resource). You can however do something like turning the heat to 10, then doing a run gets you rewards for heat 1, then doing a second run at heat 10 gets you the rewards for heat 2, etc. . I remember at a certain point where I was just interested in the characters resetting and getting more story, I'd start a run, end the run in the first room, and go back to all the characters back in the house to continue the conversations.
Thanks, I guess I'll just mostly need to keep grinding away at runs then, at least as far as getting events to trigger. Feels like some of the gods have been stuck on the locked bond heart for a dozen interactions or more by now. At least each run gives me the chance to keep trying to clean up the last few boons and upgrades for those prophecies.
Amusingly enough, on the very first run after I posted my message and got your reply, the borrow event actually showed up.

By the way, is there a sort of generally preferred mirror loadout that most people use? Since you can only affect so many other things before letting the RNG of a run take over -- just your weapon and artifact for each region -- I wouldn't think there's a ton of variance except for if you intend to use your cast in a certain way, but even that's still up to RNG if you get the right boons for it.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Super LTTP on this one but this game is absolutely excellent. I picked it up on a Steam sale recently and I liked it so much I bought it on Switch at full price, and that was before I even knew it supported cross-play (which is an absolute game changer and I love it). Got my first clearance on try 32 and another one on run 35 so I'm feeling OK about things. Should never have tried to steal from Charon, that was a rookie mistake. Athena's boons are so OP, you get the dash deflect and a Hermes boost to up the number of dashes and suddenly you're invulnerable. Never mind that she also restores your death defiance. I burned through 6 in my first completion (thanks Skelly).

Yasai

Dec 23, 2017
Wow, so barely anyone prefers the Stygian Blade huh? 34 out of my 35 hours with the game must have been with the Blade. Melee all the way! Never used the rechargeable projectile either. Tried Fists and the Spear but they didn't feel as fun to me.

The one time I used a ranged weapon tho I immediately reached the second phase of the final boss for the first time. To be able to beat him with the Blade I feel I needed to have a lot more luck with my boons than with the ranged weapon. Still had more fun with the beginner weapon so I stuck with it. The smash just felt so satisfying to use to me

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Been doing runs again after an absence of several months. I'm definitely a bit rusty...

Decided to try Extreme Measures 4 for the first time. I lasted exactly one second in his 3rd phase, haha. I did not expect the lights to go out, nor Cerby to show up for that matter. Already lost all of my remaining Death's Defiance on his first two phases. Funny how a new attack and slight pattern change can be so impactful. Just shows how much of it is practice and muscle memory, because without EM4 I body him with my eyes closed.

Wow, so barely anyone prefers the Stygian Blade huh? 34 out of my 35 hours with the game must have been with the Blade. Melee all the way! Never used the rechargeable projectile either. Tried Fists and the Spear but they didn't feel as fun to me.

The one time I used a ranged weapon tho I immediately reached the second phase of the final boss for the first time. To be able to beat him with the Blade I feel I needed to have a lot more luck with my boons than with the ranged weapon. Still had more fun with the beginner weapon so I stuck with it. The smash just felt so satisfying to use to me
I thought the Blade was crap in the beginning, but it grew on me over time. Wouldn't call it my favorite, but I enjoy doing runs with it. I've come to value the straightforwardness of certain weapons more anyway; the basic shield is another example.

I thought casts (the projectile attack) were a hassle in the beginning and I would never use it. But at some point I tried them and now I think it's easily the most powerful tool in your kit. It does damage, you can use multiple with the right mirror talent and another mirror talent lets you do more damage against foes with casts "lodged" in them (which happens automatically if you hit them with it, with the exception of Dionysus and Demeter's cast boons).

If you've used it and didn't like it that's absolutely fair, but otherwise I'd recommend giving it a shot. It takes little while to get used to, but it's worth it.

One of the Stygian Blade aspects (I believe Aspect of Poseidon) actually lets you use the smash attack to dislodge casts from enemies. This sets up combos like cast --> special (i.e. the smash) --> cast --> special --> rinse and repeat in quick succession. There's a mirror talent that grants 40% bonus damage against foes with at least two debuffs on them, so if you enhance your cast and special with boons from Aphrodite, Dionysus, Ares or Demeter*, you can trigger that bonus damage real fast. Aphrodite's cast in particular is great for this build because it's very high damage and inflicts Weakness. It's also very short range, but since you will be in melee distance anyway, that isn't an issue.

*Other gods work too, but need a specific additional boon to trigger the debuff which isn't always ideal.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR

I like the sword alright but I absolutely love the versatility of the spear with its combination of close range melee and long range throw, especially with the aspect of Achilles where you can throw the spear and then teleport to it while doing massive damage. It's like a get out of jail card in the areas with the swarms of poisonous rats. My first clearance was with the shield of all things which is far from my favorite weapon but benefits massively from Athena's boons. Actually the Stygian Blade might be my second favorite behind the spear for feel but the fact that you constantly have to be close to enemies means I die with it a lot more frequently.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Just completed only my third successful run through. this time with my least favorite weapon (the gun), but whatever I did to my build was so OP that in spite of being pretty bad at avoiding damage, I made it through Bone Hydra, Theseus & The Minotaur and Hades first form without using a single death defiance, and I was 3 hits away from finishing Hades' 2nd form off before he landed a kill on me (and then I came back and didn't take any damage while I finished him off). I got a Hermes boon that gave me 3 extra dashes, which coupled with the extra dash from the mirror meant I had 5 dashes in a row (with an Artemis boon to inflict weak). I was spamming every button on the controller and nothing would hit me. This game is incredible. I've beaten it, I figured, OK, washing my hands of this, but it feels so good to come back and just say "AGAIN."

Yasai

Dec 23, 2017
I thought the Blade was crap in the beginning, but it grew on me over time. Wouldn't call it my favorite, but I enjoy doing runs with it. I've come to value the straightforwardness of certain weapons more anyway; the basic shield is another example.

This is where I'm coming from. It's been a long time since I played the game but iirc I just decided for myself during the initial runs that being as agile as possible would be the way for me to get the most enjoyment out of this game. Hitting enemies the moment they finished spawning, being able to quickly decide which enemy needed attacking/ was in an vulnerable state vs when to go where on the screen to hit multiple enemies at the same time to optimize etc. Always on the move was definitely what I wanted to do and it felt the enemies were constantly having a hard time keeping up which felt good. When I realized that I could get more dash uses I was ecstatic lol. At the same time I never wanted to have to stick in place at a certain spot to wait for my weapon to fire or my thrown weapon to come back or just to get my projectile out because it meant downtime for my preferred playstyle. Having to think of throwing the cast onto an enemy first before attacking them would have been too much micromanagement already, I fear. Thanks for sharing your ideas tho!

I became, of course, soon after aware that I was being pretty stubborn and ignoring a big part of what the combat design in the game has to offer (ran into Stygian-upgrade roadblock bc I refused to use other weapons). It was the price I payed for keeping the gameplay simple enough for me to enjoy in an uncomplicated manner that mostly required primordial decision-making like quick reactions and a small amount of spacing while hitting one out of two or three attacks. I made it out four or five times playing like that then felt like I had my fill. I have come back to it like 4 months or do ago, just playing it on the side while listening to a stream or a playthrough. I doubt I'll ever go for the more challenging stuff but can see myself returning now and then just for the gameplay and a little farming for currency (played Let it Die like that on and off for years)