Oct 25, 2017
As someone who is huge into jrpgs and anime, but never touched anything .Hack, can someone realistically let me know if this is worth it now or should I come back to it another time?

I'm currently drowning in games, currently playing Wolfenstein II, Utawarerumono Mask of Truth, Fire Emblem Warriors, and with Tokyo Xanadu eX+ and Xenoblade 2 looming over the horizon I doubt I can put any time into this series atm

Oct 29, 2017
haha

cfhack.jpg

Viavi

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who is huge into jrpgs and anime, but never touched anything .Hack, can someone realistically let me know if this is worth it now or should I come back to it another time?

I'm currently drowning in games, currently playing Wolfenstein II, Utawarerumono Mask of Truth, Fire Emblem Warriors, and with Tokyo Xanadu eX+ and Xenoblade 2 looming over the horizon I doubt I can put any time into this series atm

So in my honest opinion....it's worth it. Think of it like a more mature version of SAO. There's plenty to do, the story line (in my opinion) is very solid, gameplay is solid. Overall, it was one of my favorite series from the PS2 era and to have it back now is awesome.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh my god. I forgot the game released today/yesterday. I have to go shopping immediately later on...

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Seems to be conflicting reports on whether the PC version is good or not. :( There's a Steam forum thread about it being a terrible port, but some people say it's working great for them. Ahhh.

Novel Mike

Oct 25, 2017
Seems to be conflicting reports on whether the PC version is good or not. :( There's a Steam forum thread about it being a terrible port, but some people say it's working great for them. Ahhh.
Welp I put an hour into just to see.

Didn't have any crashing problems but some noticable screen tearing more frequently then I would like and I had to reconfigure a lot of my PS4 controls just to start the game.

Most glaring issue was when I switched the videos over to English voices after playing on Japanese for awhile most of the voices sounded fine but Haseo's sounded off... Like you could clearly tell it sounded like it wasn't recorded right or something. I have no idea if they redid the voice acting at all for this so maybe its just an odd glitch or something has anyone noticed that on the PS4 version? It didn't happen the WHOLE time but I could clearly tell something was off right away after Haseo logs back in for the first time after encountering Tri-Edge.

OP
OP
Dandy Crocodile

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Welp I put an hour into just to see.

Didn't have any crashing problems but some noticable screen tearing more frequently then I would like and I had to reconfigure a lot of my PS4 controls just to start the game.

Most glaring issue was when I switched the videos over to English voices after playing on Japanese for awhile most of the voices sounded fine but Haseo's sounded off... Like you could clearly tell it sounded like it wasn't recorded right or something. I have no idea if they redid the voice acting at all for this so maybe its just an odd glitch or something has anyone noticed that on the PS4 version? It didn't happen the WHOLE time but I could clearly tell something was off right away after Haseo logs back in for the first time after encountering Tri-Edge.
I didn't notice anything strange in the VA on PS4. Can you describe it in more detail?

Novel Mike

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't notice anything strange in the VA on PS4. Can you describe it in more detail?
I wish I would have kept my save but I just saved over it could have captured it.

I'm playing with headphones so I guess the best way to describe it is that while everyone else sounded fine some of Haseo's lines sounded like they were recorded on a phone or something. While it comes through clearly enough it doesn't sound like hes really there its as if hes talking on the phone to when he speaks. Thats the best way I can describe it.

OP
OP
Dandy Crocodile

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I wish I would have kept my save but I just saved over it could have captured it.

I'm playing with headphones so I guess the best way to describe it is that while everyone else sounded fine some of Haseo's lines sounded like they were recorded on a phone or something. While it comes through clearly enough it doesn't sound like hes really there its as if hes talking on the phone to when he speaks. Thats the best way I can describe it.
Hmm must be a glitch or something. All the VA is equally balanced and sounds normal on my end!

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
After solving the crashing using this fix I mentioned on the previous page -
Go into task manager -> details -> end a task called Tabtips.exe. It's something to do with touch keyboard controls in WIndows 10, I've heard of it interfering with games before, seems this is another. Disabling it fixed the crashes for me. I'm so glad I don't have to do the stupid tutorial again.

I've not had any problems since on the PC version.

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't put enough time into the game to draw any conclusions, but it seems to run pretty well on PC for me. I started it at 3840x2160 and the performance in the hub was pretty poor (though 60 in the field), but dropping it to 2560x1440 seems to get me 60 everywhere. I usually play everything at 1080 so that seems pretty good to me and I haven't had any crashes yet.

Also for those interested in playing IMOQ, they run great in PCSX2.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Only a minor qualm of the PC version is there feels like some kind of frame pacing issue or something sometimes. Just because it occasionally doesn't feel entirely smooth despite apparently being at 60fps.

OP
OP
Dandy Crocodile

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
The movement speed increase and uncapped chim sphere inventory make this game so much better.

Noodles

Oct 27, 2017

It's worth it, but since you'e drowning in games it can wait. But it's a series that needs support so Id get it now. It was a bit ahead of its time. Now there' MMO anime everywhere. So hopefully it can gain enough traction to revive the series. Though it might be too late, seems they missed the weeb MMO sweet spot.

Derkon

Oct 25, 2017
Trying to rewatch .hack//roots before I jumped back into this but my god I forgot about how fucking slow this story is told. Why the hell was this 26 episodes?

I binged SIGN recently and it was just a chore to get through. I don't mind anime with mostly talking but this was nothing but characters having boring conversations, bad editing and serious pacing issues. Music was good as mentioned but that was the only real highlight. Not to mention some stuff that happens at the end was just ???. I was going to follow it with ROOTS but yeah, if it's at all like SIGN I'm just going to read a summary on what I need to know for the game.

klauskpm

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
The movement speed increase and uncapped chim sphere inventory make this game so much better.

Right?! I've finished so many dungeons already that I would have wasted such a long time.

This game shows it can be even better with today's standards for gameplay and graphics. I Hope that the sales are good enough for them to try it.

Oligarchenemy

Oct 25, 2017
I can't remember if some of these articles we're in the original, but they appear to be weirdly on point. Like the mobile devices article.

OP
OP
Dandy Crocodile

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017

Grey Stuff

Oct 27, 2017
Can't believe I forgot that this came out! I beat Rebirth back when I was a kid and, unfortunately, never ended up picking up the other volumes. All I remember is that I was kinda let down after loving Infection, though I never finished the original series either.

Here's hoping G.U. clicks with me this time around!

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I think I got my G.U. battle legs back - yesterday I did the Hunter License quest and today while doing some light grinding I encountered a PK who could kill any one person in my party with a single skill (2 or so hits, 800-900 damage total). It took me multiple retries, but I was finally able to beat him. Felt really good.

Nine

Oct 27, 2017
Kentucky
I'm super excited that one of my all time favorite series is seeing the light of day again in 2017. Can't wait to pick it up tomorrow but still can't decide if I'm getting it physically for collection purposes (and GCU discount) or digital. I wish the pc port did mouse and keyboard support though, would've been neat.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My game finally finished downloading... just in time for my last 2 controller cable adapter to die.
Gonna need to go buy a new one tomorrow after working just to be able to play.

From the few minutes i was able to play today, i was happy to see the game finally in a hd resolution while running at a consistent fps for the pc port.
...kinda weird to see the model talk without moving lips in hd to be honest.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Just to clarify, if we use cheat mode on vol 1 we can transfer that data to 2 but it won't be in cheat mode?

OptiveLink

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing the Regular Mode for a few hours now, but I'm also considering having a separate file for Cheat Mode.
What exactly does it affect from a gameplay perspective?

Also, not gonna lie. It's been a hell of an experience playing this again. It just feels so good to be back in The World, reading the community forum and what not. It's so great.

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
I don't why but something about this game attracts me but some people are saying the gameplay and the dungeons are really boring. I need more opinions.

EvilRedEye

Oct 29, 2017
My copy arrived! I'm so excited. I was really disappointed this didn't come to Europe back in the day, I used to forlornly look at the Wikipedia page for it now and then. It came a day late and I have to wait most of an hour for it to fully install but that's nothing compared to the 11 years I've already waited to start this!

DigitalDevil

Oct 25, 2017
Got mine yesterday but haven't dug in yet. I only ever played the very first .hack game, so I'm excited to play three ps2 era jrpgs that I haven't touched before. My backlog is getting nuts now.... This game, Nier, Shadow of War and Origins... Sheesh! And Ni No Kuni coming in a couple short months! 2017 really was the year of games for me.

SaviourMK2

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I've been at this for a bit, I'm doing a live stream play through as well as a personal play through (i can take time, read, and grind a little).
I missed this game so much.

klauskpm

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
Someone know if the weapon skill system changed?

Previously, the best way was doing a lot of rengeki (counter) in the arena, or fighting against harder monsters, and using text books. Has it changed? Thanks.

Bombadil

Oct 25, 2017
Near the Withywindle river
Do you actually run into any problems if you have over 30 Chim spheres on you at a time, or is the game just lying? I've got around 150 or so and I've just finished the first quest you can pick up at the Quest Shop.

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Do you actually run into any problems if you have over 30 Chim spheres on you at a time, or is the game just lying? I've got around 150 or so and I've just finished the first quest you can pick up at the Quest Shop.
You sometimes get attacked by Chim Ninjas, but those can be disposed of in seconds. I've been running around with 950+ for hours and nothing bad happened.

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
I just got this today, going to put it on in a bit.

I still wish we got a remaster of the original 4 games :(, I prefer it's storyline and world more than this ones (imported it since we didn't get an official release until this remaster). But I am looking forward to playing this since I still enjoyed it a lot! Hopefully this means a revival for the .hack series as well.

I also didn't know root was a pre-equal to this and didn't watch it prior to playing through it on PS2. Maybe I should watch it sometime, hmm...

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
I just got this today, going to put it on in a bit.

I still wish we got a remaster of the original 4 games :(, I prefer it's storyline and world more than this ones (imported it since we didn't get an official release until this remaster). But I am looking forward to playing this since I still enjoyed it a lot! Hopefully this means a revival for the .hack series as well.

I also didn't know root was a pre-equal to this and didn't watch it prior to playing through it on PS2. Maybe I should watch it sometime, hmm...

The hope is that if this sells well enough they just might consider remastering the others. :)

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I remember the original Hack having a basic little internet interface but the News and Forum sections in G.U. are amazing. And eerily realistic. I move games with in-game forums like Battle Network.

There's even a card game?

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Just bought it using the 20% off code. I beat the first volume a very long time ago but that was it. Looking forward to jump back in

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
What's this 20% code people are using? Haven't picked up the game yet, but if I can get it discounted on PC I'd prefer to do that.

OptiveLink

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck it, I'mma just play it all again. Shouldn't even be doubting myself.

.hack// is that one franchise that you can point to when people ask why you don't lose hope on your favorite franchise coming back.

klauskpm

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
Oh God. Hope it is.

I remember the original Hack having a basic little internet interface but the News and Forum sections in G.U. are amazing. And eerily realistic. I move games with in-game forums like Battle Network.

There's even a card game?

There is. Crimson VS. And it's great.

Novel Mike

Oct 25, 2017
FYI Don't go on Crunchyroll right now, after I went to bed last night apparently the site got hacked and setup a page that downloads malware to your computer. US staff isn't there to fix it but other branches of the company are warning people away on twitter.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
FYI Don't go on Crunchyroll right now, after I went to bed last night apparently the site got hacked and setup a page that downloads malware to your computer. US staff isn't there to fix it but other branches of the company are warning people away on twitter.

Whoa this is huge. I presume the console versions are ok?