Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I'm guessing the answer is no, but does anyone know if the Steam version has the content from the Terminal disc included? Picking this up on Steam regardless, but it would be nice to have.
It should. I think it's just accessible from the main menu like on PS4.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I guess that would make sense, I just didn't see any mention of it on the Steam page. Thanks!
No problem, I was just taking a guess though. It is weird that it isn't mentioned on the Steam page. I guess we won't know for sure until tomorrow, but I don't see why it wouldn't be included.

OP
OP
Dandy Crocodile

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing the answer is no, but does anyone know if the Steam version has the content from the Terminal disc included? Picking this up on Steam regardless, but it would be nice to have.
It's just right on the startup screen for the game so unless they went out of their way to remove it it'll be included.

Bikkun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
South Carolina, USA
It does. The Terminal Disc isn't an actual separate disc this time.

TGS2017-085-768x576.png

Right two are Terminal Disc and Parody Mode. This is likely the menu in both the PS4 and Steam versions.

Oct 25, 2017
So how is .hack//ROOTS? I knida don't want to watch a 26 episode anime before playing this, but I know my fake OCD won't let me.

EvilRedEye

Oct 29, 2017
Oh yeah, I was gonna ask, in an Old Place thread someone mentioned Roots had a big game spoiler in it. Which episode does it occur in?

Oct 25, 2017
It's fine if a bit slow. Don't be one of those people who fills up the comments section complaining about it not being an action show. XD I've been watching it on an off, usually while multitasking but still picking up what I need.

Oh it's not? So is it more like sign? Watched that waaay back in the day on CN. I didn't hate it but thought it was boring as hell and didn't have a desire to finish it.

Also I know the OP said it wasn't required to watch to play this, but to what degree is that true? Because I've seen people say this about a lot of games and their prequels and often times I end up disagreeing with them.

OP
OP
Dandy Crocodile

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, I was gonna ask, in an Old Place thread someone mentioned Roots had a big game spoiler in it. Which episode does it occur in?
Like around episode 25? It's not really a spoiler unless you know what you're looking for.

Oh it's not? So is it more like sign? Watched that waaay back in the day on CN. I didn't hate it but thought it was boring as hell and didn't have a desire to finish it.

Also I know the OP said it wasn't required to watch to play this, but to what degree is that true? Because I've seen people say this about a lot of games and their prequels and often times I end up disagreeing with them.
You won't have a good idea of who Shino is or why you should care about her. Ovan too. It tells the story of how Haseo got to where he is at the start of the game.

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Should I get physical or digital? Not even sure if I have enough time for this. What kind of gameplay enhancements are there again?

Bikkun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
South Carolina, USA
You won't have a good idea of who Shino is or why you should care about her. Ovan too. It tells the story of how Haseo got to where he is at the start of the game.

Same for Tabby.

She joins you in the Forest of Pain so it's probably good to know who she is.

Like around episode 25? It's not really a spoiler unless you know what you're looking for.

Episode 17 has a good one too...
During the fight between Ovan and Azure Kite, Ovan opens his lock and black bubbles reflect in his glasses..

CatDoggo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So what exactly is Parody Mode and if it involves voice acting, how will the English version handle it?

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

The problems with ROOTS from memories is that :
a) it kinda spoil some of the twists of the games in advance.
b) Some of its arcs feel useless i.e Tabby squad.
c) The pacing is uneven

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So what exactly is Parody Mode and if it involves voice acting, how will the English version handle it?
Think of it like this, but new dialogue happens during regular gameplay. Probably.

As for the voice actors, they at least brought Yuri Lowenthal back, very possible they brought others back too.

CatDoggo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is one other thing I've been meaning to ask. While I did pretty much 100% the trilogy back in the day....I have forgotten so much. Are there any particular things I should keep in mind if I'm planning on doing everything again? I'm pretty sure there isn't anything permanently missable, but I do vaguely remember something about trading or just talking to NPCs that I remember wishing I had taken care of while playing through Rebirth instead of waiting until after the storyline was over because it was a huge pain in the butt to finish this task. Like, I remember writing a list of 'something' down and checking it off every time I did the task, but I flat out can't remember what it was anymore.

OP
OP
Dandy Crocodile

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
There is one other thing I've been meaning to ask. While I did pretty much 100% the trilogy back in the day....I have forgotten so much. Are there any particular things I should keep in mind if I'm planning on doing everything again? I'm pretty sure there isn't anything permanently missable, but I do vaguely remember something about trading or just talking to NPCs that I remember wishing I had taken care of while playing through Rebirth instead of waiting until after the storyline was over because it was a huge pain in the butt to finish this task. Like, I remember writing a list of 'something' down and checking it off every time I did the task, but I flat out can't remember what it was anymore.
You have to trade with specific characters to complete all the books in the game. Is that what you're remembering?
I don't think anything is missable within each game (can't recall) but there are things exclusive to each. So you can play volume 1 as much as you want without missing stuff but once you transfer to volume 2 you can't get stuff exclusive to volume 1 anymore.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Question is, are the doppelganger weapons still the best in the game? Get those at the end of Volume 1 and didn't have to change them out till near the end of volume 3. Lifesteal too good.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really looking foward to see the change on gameplay department. They better have a great to job on balancing and tweak thing.

Yazuka

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
How long are the different episodes?
Just want an estimate so I know when I can put aside some time for the game.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Have it coming in tomorrow(supposedly), and I'm excited to finally try it. I know very little about it besides it being in an mmo and the protagonist being really edgy, so I'm hoping for some nice surprises along the way.

EvilRedEye

Oct 29, 2017
It's 8pm over here and Amazon Prime haven't dispatched my copy yet. It's not even being prepared for dispatch yet! Slightly worrying.

On the other hand I've still got a ton of .hack Project books to read.

EvilRedEye

Oct 29, 2017
I honestly think they need to rebrand this franchise - it's a living hell to type it on smartphone, can't be hashtagged properly etc.

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know if there are any day one bonuses that I would miss if I don't pick up the game until way later?

OP
OP
Dandy Crocodile

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know if there are any day one bonuses that I would miss if I don't pick up the game until way later?
I think there's a PS4 preorder theme if you order it early digitally but it's not as good as the JP version since it lacks the custom music.
Other than that, no unless you want to import the Japanese LE.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Can the PC version be played at 4k? Don't want it if it is a poorly done port stuck at 1080p.

For the anime, should I just watch a few episodes to get an idea on who the characters are and not go too far to avoid game spoilers?

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think there's a PS4 preorder theme if you order it early digitally but it's not as good as the JP version since it lacks the custom music.
Other than that, no unless you want to import the Japanese LE.
Thanks yeah. My backlog is huge and there are still more and more games coming out that I want so I need to slow the fuck down and start buying them when they're cheap

OP
OP
Dandy Crocodile

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Can the PC version be played at 4k? Don't want it if it is a poorly done port stuck at 1080p.

For the anime, should I just watch a few episodes to get an idea on who the characters are and not go too far to avoid game spoilers?
If you're gonna watch the anime watch all of it. It only spoils a particular reveal if you know what to look for.

Neo-Rudo

Oct 27, 2017

yeah it can run at 4k apparently, also sure why not, you meet most of the characters a few episodes in.

Both sign and Roots are some of my fav animes. think what you will of that. if you have seen Spice and Wolf then you would know what to expect... minus the nudity

EDIT

remastered to 1080p (supporting output to 4K) running at 60 FPS.

so it looks to be upscaled imo not native 4k

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
My copy was delayed and won't be here till noon tomorrow. But I'm beyond excited for this. The combat in //GU was already a huge step up from //IMOQ, I'm eager to see how the QOL improvements flow. I'd love a similar remaster of the first four, and a new game retconning the LINK manga.

Neo-Rudo

Oct 27, 2017
My copy was delayed and won't be here till noon tomorrow. But I'm beyond excited for this. The combat in //GU was already a huge step up from //IMOQ, I'm eager to see how the QOL improvements flow. I'd love a similar remaster of the first four, and a new game retconning the LINK manga.
i really don't think you would, if you have a PC you can play them at remastered quality and the combat is just infuriating. even with cheats at 99 acc you still fucking miss XD

...... If they was going to re do them i feel like they would need a full Remake rather than a remaster

Last edited:

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Good to know - as long as the anime interests me, I'll give the entire thing a watch. I did enjoy the original .hack//sign back in the day. I really hope the game renders at 4k, I'll be disappointed if it is just an upscale as it will be very blurry (Dark Souls looked horrible before DSFix), might have to wait for a cheap sale in that case.

Neo-Rudo

Oct 27, 2017
Good to know - as long as the anime interests me, I'll give the entire thing a watch. I did enjoy the original .hack//sign back in the day. I really hope the game renders at 4k, I'll be disappointed if it is just an upscale as it will be very blurry (Dark Souls looked horrible before DSFix), might have to wait for a cheap sale in that case.

yeah im sure people will be able to tell you once its out.

If you liked sign i can't see you not liking Root's.

dwA8GVY.jpg

WDWHWIQ.jpg

H8cUFIt.jpg

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
i really don't think you would, if you have a PC you can play them at remastered quality and the combat is just infuriating. even with cheats at 99 acc you still fucking miss XD

...... If they was going to re do them i feel like they would need a full Remake rather than a remaster
That's a good point, the combat in the first four was incredibly bad. XD

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I gave in and put in my pre-order yesterday even though I've already got loads to play. Always been intrigued by the second series of .hack games mainly because of being a fan of the developer (Asura's Wrath, Silent Bomber, Solatorobo & Original .Hack games) so since these games never released in Europe back in the PS2 days, these will be fresh. Looking forward to it. Must say this has to be the best priced HD re-release I've come across yet - 4 games in one collection for £29? Great price.

CatDoggo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I doubt anybody here would know about this so it's probably a long shot, but there's a particular glitch I remember but I don't remember what the keywords were to get to it. I'm wondering if anyone would happen to know. I remember seeing this talked about on an old .Hack forum way back when. It involved that one cave environment with the waterfalls and it had a glitch where the end of the dungeon clipped into an empty room and when you walked into it you'd have a bunch of waterfalls pop up right in front of you that you could walk through. It was really cool. If I remember correctly, the glitch only worked in volume 1 and was fixed in the other two. I'm wondering if it's still present in Last Recode but without the keywords it's going to be pretty impossible to find.

Subxero

Oct 25, 2017
United States
I never played the originals but wanted to.

I'm hoping the physical version of this will be available for the next month or two so I am able to get a copy.

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
Someone posted a picture of them owning the NA version yesterday. I'm surprised that there hasn't been more broken street dates.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I tried to marathon ROOTS when I got the DVD, but I only got partway through. I think what made SIGN work for me was that I was watching it weekly on TV, which makes it way more digestible. Should try to finish it one day.