• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Heromanz

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, games don't have to be fun. It limits them as an art form to think they should only be engaging in that way.

I mean I'll argue The Last Of Us is not fun and it's one of the reasons I admire the game
The Last of Us is a weird case because the story isn't meant to be fun but the gameplay is. Like the game has multiplayer base off how the game plays.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
The Last of Us is my favourite game of all time and I wouldn't necessarily call it 'fun', but it's engaging, which is more important to me.

Deleted member 8408

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
"Fun" means different things to different people.

For example sim racing games are not designed to be "fun", they are designed to be as realistic as possible and I have great fun with them.

Most people wouldn't find any enjoyment in them because they are some of the most brutally punishing games around and it takes a lot of practice to become any good (I'm still working on that :P ) but I find them to be incredibly rewarding and enjoy the time I spend playing them.

So no, games don't need to be designed to be "fun". It's not what everyone wants.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
No, they don't have to be fun but they should be engaging.

A game like Paper's Please isn't necessarily fun but it's compelling and engaging in its own ways. Soma is bleak, depressing, fascinating. Spintires is a literal slog but I found it incredibly engrossing

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Fun just means if the game is engaging, which i think every critical successful game is supposed to be

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think I would call Life is Strange "fun" but it's one of my favorite games of all time.

Like any other form of art, games don't have to be anything. You would hope that they would provide you with some kind of emotional response but "horror" or "melancholy" can be just as, if not more impactful than "fun". And of course "fun" is about as subjective as anything could be.

Fieran

Oct 29, 2017
Edinburgh, Scotland
I wouldn't say they need to be "fun" so much.

Enjoyable yes, but a lot of things are enjoyable that aren't fun. Impactful experiences are good as well. I enjoyed games like Last of Us, but I wouldn't call it fun so much, with the setting and everything.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
Definitely not! Case in point there's a lot of sonic games.

But for real, if I'm not having fun playing a game I don't play it or stop playing.

JCHandsom

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
You can argue that if a videogame didn't engage people or didn't manage to capture the time of anybody then it failed on it's porpuse, if an entertainment piece of media, wherever it is a game, movie or novel, fails to engage people it is a failure.

Papers, Please is a game that engaged people, they got enjoyment out of it's existance, narrative and message, it was entertaining in its own way, that means P,P succeeded in engaging the audience, thus it was fun to the people who enjoyed the experience it had to share.

Y'all need to stop giving the word "fun" a childish, demeaning connotation.

You're not more mature for saying your "adult" games are not fun.

I was specifically responding to that poster about his definition of "fun," I'm not trying to say that fun has to, by necessity, denote childishness.

What I am saying is that fun is an ambiguous and not very useful term for analyzing why a game works.

"I like Overwatch"
Why?
"It's fun!"
What makes Overwatch "fun?"
*reasons x, y, and z*
Okay, do you think Super Mario 64 is "fun?"
"Yeah that's a fun game."
Why?
*different reasons a, b, and c*

(please note these are just examples I came up with off the top of my head, you can substitute any two games that are popularly considered "fun" in this example)
The reasons why one game is "fun" can be wildly different from why another game is also "fun," meaning it is such a subjective term you're better off just talking about reasons x, y, and z and reasons a, b, and c instead.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fun is a broad term.

I think all good games have to be engaging, though, whether that means the game is built around slicing giant robots in half with a katana or slowing plodding your way through a town filled with ghosts and slowly taking pictures of them.

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Last of Us is a weird case because the story isn't meant to be fun but the gameplay is. Like the game has multiplayer based off how the game plays.

The Last of Us is fun in it's uncomfortable brutality because you're just so goddamn good at causing it. And yeah the story is depressing all the way through.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Every game should try to be engaging. Every game does not have to be 'fun'. Typically when people say certain games are 'fun', they don't mean they are 'fun' like playing with a toy is 'fun', they mean the experience was engaging. Horror games, many adventure or VN games, etc. fit this mold.

Gakidou

Oct 30, 2017
pip pip cheerio fish & chips
Now that you mention it, I have no idea what I define "fun" as. I tend to shy away from making statements like "it's just fun" when I talk about games, because I don't think it really communicates something substantial, especially if all games are trying to offer something along those lines? It's like saying "this game has graphics you can really see" like... yeah?
But a statement like "I had fun while playing this" makes a little more sense to me.

Like I would have described Papers, Please as a game I found "fun" personally. I play horror games for "thrills" and will openly admit I like to get sad or angry at a story for "fun". Like i'm not doing it out of any other obligation.

But that said I don't like the sound of saying games need to be "fun" to qualify, I guess because I don't have to personally like a game for it to be considered valuable?

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
If the actual gameplay of The Last of Us wasnt "fun" it wouldnt have gotten a 95 metacritic

OP
OP
Heromanz

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Last of Us is fun in it's uncomfortable brutality because you're just so goddamn good at causing it. And yeah the story is depressing all the way through.
I wouldn't say that. You could make that game not fun but Nd never does it. Like many of the combat Encounters in the game are meant to be fun. Like there's too many things that game does that it impossible for it not to be made to have fun.

Dynheart

Self-requested ban
Oct 31, 2017
It's gotta be an enjoyable experience. Whatever emotional response the game is tapping into at that time, it has to be enjoyable. Otherwise the game gets shelved (I give any game 3 tries before I give up on it, and this is over a course of several years), possibly even sold.

woolyninja

Oct 27, 2017
Gameplay needs to work well, story can be whatever it wants. If it feels bad to control then I'm not going to spend very long playing.

As funny as Octodad was - once the humor wore off and I was stuck with those controls I grew tired of it quickly.

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing has to be anything. If the creator wants it to be a way, it can be that way. Doesn't mean it will be successful or not - that's irrelevant.

smash_robot

Oct 27, 2017
This thread is getting bogged down in semantics rather than a real philosophical disagreement. To me, the word "fun" implies a level of lightheartedness, but it seems that for others this is not a requirement. Still, I think the consensus is that games can convey other emotions besides joy.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Not for me, but engaging, challenging, or interesting can entertain me. So not exactly fun but captivating in a way. I'm not having fun when I watch something like "True Stories, The Mass Murder of Duck Duck Goose Lake."

traxor

Oct 7, 2018
Games don't have to be fun, they just have to be engaging. See games like Papers Please or most traditional horror games for games that resonated with people despite not being mechanically fun games.

When I first read this thread, I was thinking 'no, but it has to be enjoyable', but 'engaging' is 100% the word I was thinking of. Twelve Years A Slave is absolutely not an enjoyable or fun film, but it's one of the most engaging pieces of cinema I've ever watched.

Mr. Parrot

Apr 16, 2018
Games don't always have to be fun, but if they are not fun and in my opinion have to have another thing they are going for such as horror games or an interesting story such as a walking simulator.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If the actual gameplay of The Last of Us wasnt "fun" it wouldnt have gotten a 95 metacritic
In reference to The Last of Us, I think people are conflating 'fun' with 'giving the player positive and happy feelings' and then concluding that The Last of Us is not fun because it does not give the player happy and positive feelings (it does have some moments of levity but they are often followed by starker moments of sadness). The Last of Us is absolutely engaging though, both through it's narrative and gameplay.

Games have had this figured out for over 30 years though, there were horror and adventure games made in the 80s that did not give positive or happy feelings and yet were still engaging. Games haven't needed to be 'fun' in that sense for a long, long time.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
Considering there are games that exist that aren't fun, I would say we already have the question answered. Books don't have to be interesting and pictures don't have to be well-taken.

Take5GiantSteps

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ohio
Games don't have to be fun, no, but that also means I'm not going to play them. Nothing about the Witness is "fun" for example. There are a multitude of other mediums with puzzles that I can explore if I want a brain challenge.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do you only play fun games? Do you only watch awesome movies and read epic books?

These are descriptors for children.
You are getting hung up on semantics. It's more important what the person means when they say 'fun' or 'awesome' or 'epic' then it is whatever vague adjective they've chosen to describe their experience. Also there is nothing inherently juvenile about any of those adjectives.

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
Whats the point to PLAY a game if isn't FUN?

Im not gonna play a game if i not having fun with it. Now, a different question would be what kind of things we find fun on games. For example, i do not find fun playing FIFA 19 against the CPU, therefore, i do not play against the IA.

OP
OP
Heromanz

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whats the point to PLAY a game if isn't FUN?

Im not gonna play a game if i not having fun with it. Now, a different question would be what kind of things we find fun on games. For example, i do not find fun playing FIFA 19 against the CPU, therefore, i do not play against the IA.
To experience something

EmptyWarren

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Absolutely not. Games like This War of Mine are at no point 'fun'. Fantastic experience. Just like a book can be a feel good romp like the first Harry Potter, they can also be dismal, bleak character studies like Blood Meridian.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
"Fun" is apparently the only metric Blizzard uses, according to Ion Hazzikostas. I wonder if they also report fun to the shareholders.

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
Not "fun" per se, but if you're enjoying your time with the game for whatever reason, that is the only requirement. Is an educational game "fun"? Well, if you like being intellectually stimulated, or you find it interesting or whatever...you could maybe call that "fun", but what really matters is that you're enjoying it or willing to be engaged by it.

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, it has to be entertaining, but it can accomplish that in a variety of ways, so I guess yes?

Wulfram

Mar 3, 2018
Most games should be fun, there are exceptions and when they succeed they're great but being fun is the default

Nov 17, 2017
Do you only play fun games? Do you only watch awesome movies and read epic books?

These are descriptors for children.
I only play games I find fun. They're games. Not that you can't get anything else out of them but they're meant to be fun to play.

I don't know what that has to do with what movies or books one enjoys. Saying you like playing fun games certainly is not childish.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
This has probably been said a lot, but they have to be engaging and not specifically fun. Some people seek for fun first, others for other elememts, but engaging the target audience is the goal ultimately.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
Kate-Beaton-Comics.jpg
- ERA

RT tho: fun is a state of mind and to me it's essentially "am i getting what I wanted out of the game"
if I just wanna be mario and jump and go "wahoo" and I get that, the game is fun
if I play a horror game to get spooped and I get spooped real good, the game is fun
if i play an utsuge to get emotionally wrecked and not leave bed for the entire day after finishing it, the game is fun

i feel like trying to say that things shouldn't/don't need to be fun just means you have a very boring definition of what fun is and what it can be