• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Derek Trucks is way too low...Trey too...but especially Derek.
I was listening to this While My Guitar Gently Weeps that Phish played at MSG last night, and this is such a patient and intense solo. I love that man so much. Wish I could be there.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
Misha Mansoor being on this list when Mark Holcomb is the better guitarist of Periphery is wild. Also, Paul Waggoner not being on here is a crime

Aloysius

Nov 5, 2017
Minneapolis, MN
I don't think its unreasonable to stick mainstream artists on here, and get the point of having John Mayer on here, but sort of feel like you should pick someone who can really rip for that spot on the list. Maybe Brad Paisley.
John Mayer is great. If you have only heard has recorded songs I would agree, but watch some live videos or his performances with the Dead. He should 100% be on this list. I might even rank him higher.

Nigel Tufnel

Mar 5, 2019
John Mayer is great. If you have only heard has recorded songs I would agree, but watch some live videos or his performances with the Dead. He should 100% be on this list. I might even rank him higher.
I have seen John Mayer live. He is a fine guitar player. I personally think the session player for Pink is more deserving of a spot on this list than him.

Oct 27, 2017
I've seen 5/20 of this list in concert, cool (Gary Clark Jr., Joe Bonomassa, John Mayer, Derek Trucks, and Trey Anastasio).

Derek should be higher. I saw both of their bands at a music festival last August. Trey played Friday and had Derek sit in with him most of the show, Derek played Saturday and had Trey sit in most of the show. It was incredible (Gary Clark was at the festival that same weekend too).

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The only one's I've heard of on that list are St Vincent and Steve Vai. I suspect, even though I'm not that much of a fan, that the former is also the only one who can write a decent tune too.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get why Petrucci, Satriani and Vai are doing on this list, their playing is so stale (granted, I haven't listed to Satriani and Vai in a while so they might have evolved, idk).
Happy to see Tosin Asabi and the Polyphia boys in this list though, love their stuff.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
The only one's I've heard of on that list are St Vincent and Steve Vai. I suspect, even though I'm not that much of a fan, that the former is also the only one who can write a decent tune too.
Depends on your musical taste but if you like hard rock than Alter Bridge/Tremonti definitely can write good songs, so can the rest of the list but I'm just an Alter Bridge fanboy. They also happen to be one of the best live bands currently touring.

Trucks can certainly write as well as he plays. There are many songs I could put here for him but for me, together with his wife, they've written one of the greatest tunes of all time (in my humble onions).

If you don't mind instrumentals then Polyphia can certainly write a catchy tune as well -

FriendlyNPC

Oct 27, 2017
Guthrie seems a bit low on that list all things considered. The guy most likely is the most technically gifted guitar player living that is incredibly musical as well. His work with Steven Wilson has been pretty great.

Like, people like Tosin Abasi look up to Guthrie.

Last edited:

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
I need to look into #2. Never heard of them.

Check out some Animals As Leaders stuff, its great stuff. But I have little issue with Tremonti being one; he is a great player with a lot of 'mainstream exposure'. His solo-stuff shreds as well.

Also glad to see Polyphia in the list. And for people who like that (and Abasi / Animals as Leaders), I would like to plug Plini:

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
I mean Derek Trucks would the obvious one no?

Mateus is also up there and whilst he can shred I'm not sure I would label him purely as such -

I also wouldn't call Mayer a shredder even if I'm not his biggest fan.

THanx. Will check it out. Mayer isn't a bad guitarplayer. NIce tone. But he's too much Vaughan and bluesie and his songs are too sweet for me. I'm tired of blues music to the point that i almost can't
listen to it anymore. Was a huge fan for decades. I like guys like Marc Ribot.

Checked them all out. Some really insanely talented guys and galls. None of them really excite me in music or tone though.
I do like the guy from Kin Gizzard though and the guy from Khruangbin. They play more functionally with an idea behind the music instead of just beng a solo-guy without substance. Virtuosity becomes boring so fast imo.
Sorry to say nobody here ont his list really does anything for me aside maybe St. Vincent.

Last edited:

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
No John5? Find this list to be pretty be pretty suspect then.

nomster

Oct 27, 2017
Cool to see Eric Gales up there, Josh Smith is another blues guy who should've made it.

I've liked most of St Vincent's output but don't really find the guitarwork that interesting.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
Brains having trouble figuring out just what this is. Super funky tho,strange,catchy hmmm
They're my favourite christiosatanic trip trap djent hop memelord band (shamelessly stolen from a comment). They can write a catchy song thats for sure -
(First video is somewhat NSFW so be warned)

(This is my personal favourite of their songs)

Check out their whole New Levels New Devils album, it's pretty excellent.

DNgamers

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Btw, fuck technicality, my favourite guitar player is Matt Pike of Sleep and High on Fire because he dares to be PHAT.

Have a nice new years eve everyone!

treble

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like a good shred, but my favorite rock/metal of the decade isn't really revolved around it.

John Dwyer would place high for me, too.

Yeah, me too. His playing is continually inventive and an inspiration to me personally. Been a fan since the Pink and Brown days.

Oct 28, 2017
I had no idea the dude from Creed could shred, let alone shred hard enough to be named best guitarist of the decade.

Oct 27, 2017
Oh damn, I thought Jade Puget would have been there with 3 albums within the decade with many great great guitar tracks. Guess he's not known for guitar wankery technical skills though. (Not really a pejorative)

Coolverine

May 7, 2018
I had no idea the dude from Creed could shred, let alone shred hard enough to be named best guitarist of the decade.

even in Creed he was always viewed as like an insane player who was the only good thing about that band. I like this list but disagree with St. Vincent. She's not a good player. Being weird as fuck shouldn't qualify you.

Osa15

Banned
Nov 13, 2017

Miyavi transcends generations and any list that doesn't include him is null and void.

tumblr_oudom26AD81rtp7eso1_500.gifv

Oct 27, 2017
Kind of surprised Nick Johnston didn't make the list, but I'm glad Periphery had a representative and Polyphia was up there.