AlwaysSalty

The Fallen
Nov 12, 2017
Yeah those issues are all annoying. I beat the game though and got use to it. But the thought of having to deal with all that crap online was too much for me. I played a few matches and never touched it after. Didn't feel like rebuying it after the ps4 came out either. Like yeah you get use to it, but once I'm done I'm done. Not replaying, not going online with it. Same thing happened with RDR 2. Like, it sure would look pretty on my pc... but then I would have to play it again... fuck that lol.

Legend J 858

Oct 25, 2018
Why is it the biggest complainers about GTA and open world games are RPG fans. It's like the people complain the most and compare it to The Witcher 3 or Skyrim

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
I certainly was disappointed with the shooting mechanics coming off of Max Payne 3. Maybe they didn't want the protagonists to seem like John Woo gun-fu experts or whatever, but with a game with so much shooting, it should have been better than what it was. I'd be more hopeful about GTA6 if not for Red Dead 2 improving little in that regard.

Alas, Max Payne 4 seems unlikely. I wish they'd at least remaster/port 3.

Deleted member 50232

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Apparently some programmer at Rockstar tried to fix the horrendous controls for RDR2 on his own initiative and was promptly fired for his efforts.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
I definitely miss the character and NPC phsyics from GTA IV. Bumping into people, pushing people over, seeing ragdolls go down stairs, and the drunk animations were absolutely crazy!

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
How does a game with terrible gameplay mechanics sell over 120 million copies and continues charting around the world?

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
Every time I've tried GTAV it's been the gameplay mechanics that have eventually made be put the game down and never come back.

Same for RDR2.

I don't enjoy their approach with these games.
Yeah. They play like ass. Still found a way to finish both but neither made my top 10 because of the gameplay and their mission design

Feb 10, 2018
1. Nonsense, they feel more realistic rather then games like witcher 3 that look stupid because of very unrealistic character movement.
2. The controls are fine, otherwise millions and millions of people would not play it or have put hours and hours into it.
3.again same as point above.
4.you want the game to play itself? Such a rediculous criticism.
5. Driving model was greatly improved apon GTA4, it took the best of both worlds easy to drive but with some physics and wieght to the vehicles compared to previous gtas.

Don't play it if u don't like it.
But your criticisms are just untrue.

It's still one of the best selling games this gen and last, so your criticism means nothing.
I think R* are going to listen to the tens of millions of there fans who love GTA5 and not a few haters with very weak criticisms.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Just heard that Popstar by Da Baby was in the game now, tempted to just hop in and drive around the world. Never had an issue with the gameplay, whether that's shooting or driving.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Are the controls bad? That's subjective, really to me the shooting and movement do feel bad in both GTA and RDR.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Rockstar prefers animation priority instead of input priority which is still the biggest thing that turns me off from their games.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Nonsense, they feel more realistic rather then games like witcher 3 that look stupid because of very unrealistic character movement.
Animation priority in GTA and Red Dead isn't realistic. There isn't a delay between our brain signal and our body reacting. Animation priority is actually counterintuitive to gameplay. And the input delay and it's flaws are well documented compared to other games that also manage to achieve similar animation quality without the input delay.
3.again same as point above.
Ehhh, the shooting in GTAV is literally based around auto aim.

Yep. Players aren't used to actually walking in a game, and taking in the world around them.
They're used to rushing from objective to objective.
That is not the reason why players are not ok with this amount of input delay:
6dr9p4C.gif

vs. this:
rrecafK.gif

Based on how our brain works the latter is actually more realistic due to the lack of a delay and clearly the animation quality is comparable. Don'y let GTA and Red Dead's notable input delay trick into believing that that's the way to achieve realistic gameplay or impressive character animation.

Last edited:

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
I loved the gameplay and especially the driving mechanics, but I thought the story was very poor- especially for a Rockstar game.

Compare that to GTAIV where I hated the gameplay and took way too long to adjust to the driving but I kept playing because the story was interesting to me.

Yasuke

Oct 25, 2017
I will never be able to wrap my mind around this forum's hate for the way GTA V/RDR2/Witcher 3 control.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
This is not why I do not like the unresponsive controls, like not even close to why.

What a weird generalization to make.

I think it's dead on.

Controls are responsive on PC. Arthur does what I want him to do at all times, so responsiveness isn't an issue.

The slow, more grounded pace is the problem. Your normal movement is to walk. People are used to pressing forward and sprinting everywhere. That's not what Rockstar wanted.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's dead on.

Controls are responsive on PC. Arthur does what I want him to do at all times, so responsiveness isn't an issue.

The slow, more grounded pace is the problem. Your normal movement is to walk. People are used to pressing forward and sprinting everywhere. That's not what Rockstar wanted.
It was completely thoughtless and this is a strange mix of goal post move and double down.

It has NOTHING to do with not being able to take your time and appreciate things, which is what your original post said.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Every Rockstar game is like this. It's something they do on purpose.

It's also the reason I haven't liked a Rockstar game since Table Tennis.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's dead on.

GTA V's controls are responsive on PC, too. I love playing GTA V on PC and have since the day it debuted.

(And I loved RDR2 on console, and CAN'T WAIT to play it on PC. Seriously, when I get a new gaming PC, I'm going to tell myself it's for Half-Life Alyx, but really, it's for RDR2)

I'm not going to tell console players that they've got it twisted when their version of the game genuinely is unresponsive, though. I'm pretty sure that most complainers would be a lot happier if the console versions of Rockstar open world games felt half as responsive on consoles as they do on PC. They'd be able to reconcile more easily with the fact that the game is generally slower-paced than most because they wouldn't feel as constrained within that context, as they do now.

Like I said, I loved RDR2 and enjoyed its pace, but it'd be one of my favorite games if the input latency and aim sluggishness weren't so significant on console, regardless. There's a lot of stuff that I'm technically able to do within the game's mechanical framework that's far more difficult to actually pull off in practice than it ought to be. Like, uh, aiming at and shooting an enemy who isn't standing perfectly still. That shit is actually hard in the console version. As a PC player, I'm sure you can't even imagine aim assist being a near-necessity.

Last edited:

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's dead on.

Pacing isn't a justification, it's an excuse. Death Stranding has an even slower pace yet it still uses input priority.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
GTA V's controls are responsive on PC, too. I love playing GTA V on PC and have since the day it debuted.

(And I loved RDR2 on console, and CAN'T WAIT to play it on PC. Seriously, when I get a new gaming PC, I'm going to tell myself it's for Half-Life Alyx, but really, it's for RDR2)

I'm not going to tell console players that they've got it twisted when their version of the game genuinely is unresponsive, though. I'm pretty sure that most complainers would be a lot happier if the console versions of Rockstar open world games felt half as responsive on consoles as they do on PC. They'd be able to reconcile more easily with the fact that the game is generally slower-paced than most because they wouldn't feel constrained within that context, as they do now.
I play on PC and I find their approach off-putting. It feels unresponsive, and I don't enjoy the gameplay because of it.

I mean, this is all highly subjective. Trying to posture like it's because players lack the ability to "take the world in" and just want to "sprint everywhere" is some nonsense, though.

Pacing isn't a justification, it's an excuse. Death Stranding has an even slower pace yet it still uses input priority.
Yep.

Eidan

AVALANCHE
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Animation priority in GTA and Red Dead isn't realistic. There isn't a delay between our brain signal and our body reacting. Animation priority is actually counterintuitive to gameplay. And the input delay and it's flaws are well documented compared to other games that also manage to achieve similar animation quality without the input delay.

6dr9p4C.gif

vs. this:
rrecafK.gif

Based on how our brain works the latter is actually more realistic due to the lack of a delay and clearly the animation quality is comparable. Don'y let GTA and Red Dead's notable input delay trick into believing that that's the way to achieve realistic gameplay or impressive character animation.
Yeah I just have no problem with this. There was never a point where I struggled or died because of any input delay. My brain just recognized that Arthur moved slowly and tankishly, and I adjusted.

I think far too often games criticism seems to treat the aspects of game design as if there is only one correct way to approach something, and deviations from that are simply bad. RDR2 does not control like a snappier, more responsive character action game. It doesn't control like many open world games. The way it controls fits with the general mood the game is trying to strike, and the tasks you are asked to achieve work within the limitations of the way the game plays. Put simply, I think it works. And I think it works well.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I just have no problem with this. There was never a point where I struggled or died because of any input delay. My brain just recognized that Arthur moved slowly and tankishly, and I adjusted.

I think far too often games criticism seems to treat the aspects of game design as if there is only one correct way to approach something, and deviations from that are simply bad. RDR2 does not control like a snappier, more responsive character action game. It doesn't control like many open world games. The way it controls fits with the genera mood the game is trying to strike, and the tasks you are asked to achieve work within the limitations of the way the game plays. Put simply, I think it works. And I think it works well.
Again, even a game like Death Stranding, and many games based around slower paced gameplay, in general feel better to play than RDR2 and GTA. Neither of those franchises need to play like a character action game. I've never really seen someone argue how the input delay adds to the game experience in a meaningful way without outright ignoring games that have a similar slow pace and just plain feel better to play. Like yes, there are things in game design that in the vast majority of cases work better than others. It's like saying that the camera flaws of FFXV are ok just because.

astro

Oct 25, 2017

I think far too often games criticism seems to treat the aspects of game design as if there is only one correct way to approach something, and deviations from that are simply bad. RDR2 does not control like a snappier, more responsive character action game. It doesn't control like many open world games. The way it controls fits with the genera mood the game is trying to strike, and the tasks you are asked to achieve work within the limitations of the way the game plays. Put simply, I think it works. And I think it works well.
I think some people here have articulated clearly why they think it's bad, enough that the argument is valid and fair to make. It's not all just people shouting about not liking different things.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
This is not the reason why players are not ok with this:
6dr9p4C.gif

vs. this:
rrecafK.gif

Based on how our brain works the latter is actually more realistic due to the lack of a delay and clearly the animation quality is comparable. Don'y let GTA and Red Dead's notable input delay trick into believing that that's the way to achieve realistic or immersive gameplay.

I find Arthur more realistic in behavior. Watch as his torso turns and he takes a step in the other direction. His stride is realistic, and I don't feel a delay on PC.

For what it's worth, I didn't like the feel of the PS4 version.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
I love the car handling in GTAV. I remember thinking at the time that they can't get any better than this, felt perfect. Every car I got into handled exactly how I expected and moved in the way I wanted it to. I can't ask for more than that.

I still feel modded GTA IV on PC was even better. I think the differences between cars were more drastic and it was easier to get wheel spin and drifting. I do like how GTA V feels compared to vanilla IV a lot more.

It's everything on foot that is really clunky, tons of rubberbanding to cover or snapping to climbable stuff etc. It feels bad overall.

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019
GTAV came out in 2013. You have to look at the broader context when talking about "scores".
I...disagree - For a GTA game, it has the best one - Game came out in 2013, keep that in mind too. For 2020 they might be dated but def not for 2013.

Cut it out.

S2tScr8.png

TcONufy.png

Even in 2013 GTAV was well behind what other games were doing.

For all the budget GTA has, it isn't spent nailing the basics.

Thank you.

Eidan

AVALANCHE
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Again, even a game like Death Stranding, and many games based around slower paced gameplay, in general feel better to play than RDR2 and GTA. Neither of those franchises need to play like a character action game. I've never really seen someone argue how the input delay adds to the game experience in a meaningful way without outright ignoring games that have a similar slow pace and just plain feel better to play. Like yes, there are things in game design that in the vast majority of cases work better than others. It's like saying that the camera flaws of FFXV are ok just because.

I'm telling you how I felt the way RDR2 controls fits the tone and general mood of the game as a whole. Death Stranding has snappier responses because its gameplay quite literally demands it. I just never felt that way with RDR2. I don't know how someone could make a similar argument with FFX's camera, but I'd love to hear it.
I think some people here have articulated clearly why they think it's bad, enough that the argument is valid and fair to make. It's not all just people shouting about not liking different things.

And I'm explaining clearly why I disagree. No one is accusing anyone of shouting about not liking different things. Haha we're just having a discussion here.

Oct 27, 2017

I think far too often games criticism seems to treat the aspects of game design as if there is only one correct way to approach something, and deviations from that are simply bad. RDR2 does not control like a snappier, more responsive character action game. It doesn't control like many open world games. The way it controls fits with the general mood the game is trying to strike, and the tasks you are asked to achieve work within the limitations of the way the game plays. Put simply, I think it works. And I think it works well.

Yep.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I find Arthur more realistic in behavior. Watch as his torso turns and he takes a step in the other direction.
Again, a lot of other games have these animations, without the input delay....there is nothing crucial about Arthur's input delay.

I honestly don't think the animation is even close in regards to quality or giving the impression of realism.
Horizon is absolutely an example of a game with incredible character animation. Character animation quality is not about realism. A good video on the subject.

And again, our bodies don't respond slowly to commands.

Funny enough I never see "it fits the tone and mood" as a defense of Quantic dream's controls feeling generally off when it comes to character locomotion.

I'm telling you how I felt the way RDR2 controls fits the tone and general mood of the game as a whole. Death Stranding has snappier responses because its gameplay quite literally demands it. I just never felt that way with RDR2. I don't know how someone could make a similar argument with FFX's camera, but I'd love to hear it.
What about the input delay contributes the the tone and mood? Why is the implication that the mood would be negatively affected by less input lag? Like, that's arguing that the PC version is the worst version of the game because it has less input lag.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
And I'm explaining clearly why I disagree. No one is accusing anyone of shouting about not liking different things. Haha we're just having a discussion here.
I know, it's just you said "I think far too often games criticism seems to treat the aspects of game design as if there is only one correct way to approach something, and deviations from that are simply bad." which felt a little dismissive is all as it was said in response to someone who had explained themselves well. I do get that there is a lot of dumb "it's trash" hyperbole online though, don't get me wrong.

Feb 10, 2018

6dr9p4C.gif

vs. this:
rrecafK.gif

I think u made a mistake, u need to read my point 2 + 3 again.
Also GTA5 is different to RDR2 control, I'm talking about GTA5 this thread is about GTA5.
Also while GTA5 might not be the most realistic it's more realistic then other open world games like the witcher 3.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
GTA V is more than the sum of its parts, which are, isolated and on their own, just garbage. However, combined, they manage to be kind of mediocre.