Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Had to have been something recent. It's been 15 years. His cousin plays Franklin in V. Wonder how he feels about this.

Mar 29, 2018
I can imagine this is something to do with royalties.

I can imagine very easily.

You know, street, road, asphalt. Come on, it's an innocent word!

ENIo7rmW4AADY_o.jpg

Looks like it's because of pay
As expected.

Same thing happened with Lez of course, and I'm sure that was a far, far larger sum.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure why the GTA voice actors would really expect to make millions off of a GTA game. They're not going to give a voice actor a percentage of the gross because these games pretty much sell themselves and they don't need to offer points on the backend. The VAs are not what sells the games or attracts a massive audience.

Canuckreefer

Banned
Oct 10, 2019
Fuck R*
motherfuckers wont come out with gtav single player dlc stories
Im sure its related to that
Fuck gta online

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Man, is this the 3rd VA saying this?

I remember the Niko VA saying this to the point they opted to reuse his stock lines in Gay Tony.

And of course, they stiffed Ray Liotta, jezzus.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
This is always about their pay after the fact. Isn't this kind of the same thing that Voice Actors for games have been fighting for recently? Like better studio time pay and conditions?
I wanna say the Niko voice actor was pissed because he recorded his parts - got paid the normal amounts - and then watched GTA4 make a fucking billion dollars and he got none of that pie.

I dunno. I get the anger/frustration but ... these guys HAVE to know what's up right? Like you're gonna be in a GTA game. It's gonna sell fucking gangbusters. And no .. you're not gonna get any of that residual and royalty pay. I don't think this catches any of them by surprise. I think it just festers and burns as R* piles up stacks and they don't get called back for roles or a boost to their career cause people still don't recognize them anywhere or anything. (Except fucking Trevor...)

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I probably should ask this guy – whose name I never heard before despite having played the shit out of San Andreas back then – if he reprise his role as CJ just to piss him off. And of course if he's "street" enough to accept the fact that maybe or perhaps no one knows him for any other role than for San Andreas.

This is a stupid and suspect post....

N_Cryo

Avenger
Nov 6, 2017
west coast
That's 3 for 3 with the old GTA voice actors expressing they'll never work with Rockstar again. I recall the GTAV VA for Michael also got paid little for his work.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
On the flip side you always see positive comments and reactions from the GTAV and RDR2 cast members.
I have a feeling R* changed their entire process when it comes to voice actors after GTA IV. Like you had Rob Wiethoff (Marston) and Ben Byron Davis (Dutch) willing to come back 8 years after RDR 1. And Peter Blomquist as Micah in RDR 2 after playing Dr. Fontaine in L.A. Noire.

Hopefully that means better pay and working conditions for actors, but tough to know for sure.

Timing wise that also matches up with their move towards mostly unknown actors starting with RDR 1. A far cry from the avalanche of celebrities in the PS2 games (and even GTA IV when you include the comedy clubs and radio cameos).

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
This is why you have to comb the contract and look to see how they'll fuck you with royalties and the like before signing.

I have a feeling R* changed their entire process when it comes to voice actors after GTA IV. Like you had Rob Wiethoff (Marston) and Ben Byron Davis (Dutch) willing to come back 8 years after RDR 1. And Peter Blomquist as Micah in RDR 2 after playing Dr. Fontaine in L.A. Noire.

Hopefully that means better pay and working conditions for actors, but tough to know for sure.

Timing wise that also matches up with their move towards mostly unknown actors starting with RDR 1. A far cry from the avalanche of celebrities in the PS2 games (and even GTA IV when you include the comedy clubs and radio cameos).

Yeah, and going by the video interview thing they did with Wiethoff he wasn't big on being a voice actor in the first place. So getting him back for RDR2 Rockstar must have started to treat their voice actors right after GTA 4.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I remember 1up Yours talking about what happened with CJ's voice actor like, a decade-plus ago.

OP
OP

Deleted member 59955

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 14, 2019
Ray Liotta wasn't upset with Rockstar just because of not being paid enough. He also felt that Rockstar didn't appreciate his efforts enough.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
At a time when va are looking for better security you better come with more than blind company love for rock*

A few posts out there hella embarrasing

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is why you have to comb the contract and look to see how they'll fuck you with royalties and the like before signing.

Yeah, and going by the video interview thing they did with Wiethoff he wasn't big on being a voice actor in the first place. So getting him back for RDR2 Rockstar must have started to treat their VA's right after GTA 4.
They'll probably just get someone else? Maybe they don't want to negotiate too much prior to getting the gig.

Zonal Hertz

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
In the scheme of a video games I really don't think VA's take top precedent when it comes to royalties/pay for work on videogames. There are people who work a lot harder and make a lot less on a single videogame.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, and going by the video interview thing they did with Wiethoff he wasn't big on being a voice actor in the first place. So getting him back for RDR2 Rockstar must have started to treat their voice actors right after GTA 4.
That's true. He seemed content with being out of video games post-RDR 1, so hopefully that means R* did alright by him to get him back for RDR 2.

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA

More likely about a few years ago, SAG got video game voice actors added to the union.

So they had more protections.

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA

Well they also began working on RDR2 right after the first one in 2010 and then the full cast was doing performance capture by 2012-2013. Again the GTAV seemed quite happy post release but they also found work including The Walking Dead and Boardwalk Empire.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
I mean, it must feel like crap when you do an amazing job as a voice actor and get paid just like if it was just another acting job when the game is doing millions and millions of dollars.

ByWatterson

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
He wants 10% of the profits? He's not 10% responsible for its success, and he signed the contracts and it was what, 15 years ago?

I don't get this at all.

DeadlyVirus

Oct 29, 2017
So, he agreed to a contract and got paid as stipulated in the contract.Does he not know how this works?

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
That is so interesting!

Sorry first CJ quote that popped into my head.

Don't blame me blame society!

Last edited:

Deleted member 4072

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He's a rapper signed to Ice Cube's Lench Mob label so asking if he is "street" enough is laughable lmao.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shit, he won't go at it again then.

I think VA should get royalty but I would prioritize the devs getting a lot more on that royalty.

Maxflier

Nov 22, 2017
Louisiana
It's ashame these guys aren't told how much they will be paid for the job before they do it. They should probably sign some type of contract for an amount they find acceptable beforehand to avoid these situations.

Goron2000

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everyone involved in those games needs to be paid way more than they do. Rockstar pay employees industry standard wages even though they bring in billions per game. I'm talking Devs, VO, Motion capture and everyone involved in the process.

JusDoIt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Team Young Maylay.

He's a rapper signed to Ice Cube's Lench Mob label so asking if he is "street" enough is laughable lmao.

Not only that, he was discovered by King Tee (an LA legend) which is likely how he had the relationship with DJ Pooh (another LA legend and a writer on San Andreas) and got the Rockstar gig in the first place. Nobody on the internet is in a position to question his street credentials.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
He's probably sick of hearing his own voice in all these videos and memes and he probably stopped receiving any residuals from GTA:SA years ago.

There's no way he got paid what one might expect for a game that's probably sold over 30MM copies LTD.
Rockstar seems pretty apt at saving money on vocie talent.
Hell look at the principal VAs for GTAV. They're best known now for their roles in GTAV...

Last edited:

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
Rockstar does not pick famous people to dub the games (since San Andreas), so of course they are probably underpaid

Have you ever heard of Nico's voice actor before? Or CJ's? Or Arthur's?

I'm pretty sure that they've signed some contracts stating their payments