• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
recent article with IGN. I dont believe the recent blog was the update he is reffering to. He says that in every other blog ''back to working on WINDS'' gotta be more there.
Maybe after some of the dust has settled on Thrones. It'd be nice to hear some reason why he couldn't deliver a single book in the space of the television show's entire run. I'm not even mad about it (anymore), it's just incredible.

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
Maybe after some of the dust has settled on Thrones. It'd be nice to hear some reason why he couldn't deliver a single book in the space of the television show's entire run. I'm not even mad about it (anymore), it's just incredible.

I believe the common assumption is that GRRM had something close to a completed manuscript for Winds sometime in 2015 and then he proceeded to throw it all out and start over from scratch.

TheFatOne

Oct 27, 2017
He's hinted at some of the core issues. The major one being bringing all the pov characters together. Every book he's introduced characters as solutions to problems. Which has created more problems. He's put himself in a bind and doesn't know how to write himself out of it.

ac0083

Banned
Mar 11, 2019
It is pretty crazy to think that we never got another book since book 5 came out around the same time as season 1. I remember all the talk about book 6 coming out before Season 6. I kind of always assumed it would arrive before the show ended, especially given the long break between seasons 7 and 8. Yet here we are.

Operations

Oct 29, 2017
Someone should write and publish a spurious version of Winds of Winter. GRRM will probably take offense and light up his ass.

Got Miguel de Cervantes to finish Don Quixote! (Who after nine years after writing part one couldn't be arsed to publish the sequel).

repeater

Oct 27, 2017
I like that "'The Winds of Winter' is not finished" has now acquired the same status as "Water is wet" and "The Earth is round", even in the eyes of the author.

DonaldKimball

Oct 28, 2017
The books are meant to read at least twice so I say start them and read TWOW when it's out then re-read then once the last book is out.

We're starting a book club next week for new readers that have watched the show and people who want to re-read. Show spoilers allowed so you should join us. 5 chapters a week.

Can we start the thread now? Need to wash out this taste of last episode.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
I'm stuck hoping against hope that Martin finishes these books before he dies or I die. I love the world he has created in the books and the show paid off so few of them. I believe he has far more interesting resolutions to this massive story than the way GoT played out. The last two seasons especially lost the richness and complexity of Martin's writing.

ac0083

Banned
Mar 11, 2019
The books are meant to read at least twice so I say start them and read TWOW when it's out then re-read then once the last book is out.

We're starting a book club next week for new readers that have watched the show and people who want to re-read. Show spoilers allowed so you should join us. 5 chapters a week.

I'm down with this. Can't wait for the thread to get started!

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
He's hinted at some of the core issues. The major one being bringing all the pov characters together. Every book he's introduced characters as solutions to problems. Which has created more problems. He's put himself in a bind and doesn't know how to write himself out of it.
Bringing POV characters together was supposedly the issue with AFFC/ADWD & mostly with Meereen/Essos side of things (hence the coined term "Meereenese knot"). I think the biggest issue was with Tyrion getting to Meereen and certain things being set up on his way there (fAegon probably being the most notable one but there were some more subtle seeds sown through his journey in ADWD, I'm sure).

With TWOW, he either has the characters together who should be for the next part or on their way on a relatively clear path plus he has claimed there would be no more added POV characters (not known characters turning into POV characters and not completely new characters introduced as POV characters), outside of prologues & epilogues. TWOW was supposed to be the book where everything starts to come together and it should also bring the death of some POV characters, which supposedly was going to make things a bit more manageable. If the rumors are true, it seems more like GRRM is now having more trouble with writing satisfactory conclusions for some characters or (setup for the) endgame than bringing POV characters together.

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Either he sticks with the TV show because the plot points were what he shared with D&D to begin with, or he purposefully diverges from the show to subvert expectations. Either way, I'm not really looking forward to the results.
Random aside, I did enjoy books 1-3, 2/3rd of 4, and 1/2 of 5.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Either he sticks with the TV show because the plot points were what he shared with D&D to begin with, or he purposefully diverges from the show to subvert expectations. Either way, I'm not really looking forward to the results.
Random aside, I did enjoy books 1-3, 2/3rd of 4, and 1/2 of 5.

He's mentioned before that everythings hes written already hints to the rest of the story. To change things now just to subvert would basically make no sense plotpoint wise and he says that its a sign of a poor writer.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
He'll keep the ending but how he gets there will be vastly different imo. He isn't gonna be rushing to the end like d&d, things will have the right amount of room to breathe.

That's if he finishes by some miracle ofcourse lol

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
He'll keep the ending but how he gets there will be vastly different imo. He isn't gonna be rushing to the end like d&d, things will have the right amount of room to breathe.

That's if he finishes by some miracle ofcourse lol
There are so many plot lines to resolve that if he did do it in two books, I can't imagine it being anything but just as rushed as the tv shoe

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly think it may need to end up being three books

Winds of Winter
A Time for Wolves
A Dream Of Spring

WOW ends with Dany getting to Westeros, Wolves ends with her going crazy, Dream has a lot more epilogue stuff than the show

barit

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
That's great, now get back to writing them.

Also don't forget actually character arcs, instead of characters suddenly going crazy at the flip of a switch or sound of a bell lol

I wonder if Martin has any of those great thoughtfull moments in the books like when Arya and a horse standing around in ruins hahahaha

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
I honestly think it may need to end up being three books

Winds of Winter
A Time for Wolves
A Dream Of Spring

WOW ends with Dany getting to Westeros, Wolves ends with her going crazy, Dream has a lot more epilogue stuff than the show

My guess is that the rough plan is for the first half of Winds to be Dany making her way to Westeros plus Aegon vs Cersei. Then the second half of the book is Aegon vs Dany. Then the first half of Dream is Dany going North and the war against the Others, and the back half is epilogue. So there's definitely a two-book outline there, if he can get it into the page limits for a pair of books.

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
My guess is that the rough plan is for the first half of Winds to be Dany making her way to Westeros plus Aegon vs Cersei. Then the second half of the book is Aegon vs Dany. Then the first half of Dream is Dany going North and the war against the Others, and the back half is epilogue. So there's definitely a two-book outline there, if he can get it into the page limits for a pair of books.
None of that sounds like something GRRM could do in two books.

Mar 3, 2018
So now that the show is over I am going to start reading the books...but before I do; are there any editions/version I should read or nothing of that sort exists. Just wanna be sure.