thefit

Oct 25, 2017
My wife has instituted rationing on me because she says when I cook I always make 2-3 courses and she only ever cooks exactly what will be eaten with no left overs and usually just the main dish. I'm barred from cooking ;_;

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know when Costco gets meat in? I'm not looking to hoard, just need to get some meet to last two weeks since my teenager is home for the next month. And he eats like he's been held hostage somewhere for 3 months.

Its a good time to start dieting/fasting and counting calories. Just saying.

Xterrian

Apr 20, 2018
Thursday we did 52k sales. Yesterday a friggin staggering 66k+.

I've been here two years and even during the holiday season/snow warnings/memorial day and fourth of July the sales never got into the 50's.

Idk what I'm gonna do if I get it. I can't go into work then obviously but there's only 3 other people who could reliability work. Of the other 4 people, 2 are elderly and usually only work 10 or 12 hours a week. Another can only work Sundays and Mondays. And the final person is a new girl who still has trouble cleaning and finding the correct meat and cheese. *Sigh*

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
Just want to say that you are all appreciated. Even in the full lockdowns, you are underappreciated heroes that keep society going.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Every single frozen thing that wasn'ta dessert was sold out at Trader Joe's. Had to take a video
Still not sure why people are buying water
Though now I expect will get the big earthquake in la that's over due..

Jarrod38

Oct 25, 2017
Today is Saturday and I salute all grocery store workers today. It's going to be a mad house everywhere.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I used to work at Wegmans. Just want to give a shoutout to all of you grocery workers. The worst I've ever had to deal with is a holiday rush or just before a snow storm, but nothing of this magnitude.

j_rocca42

Oct 25, 2017
PNW
Over 2 million in sales the last 2 days and trending towards a million today. Black Friday and Christmas don't even touch this craziness.

Mana Latte

Banned
Jul 6, 2019
I'm in charge of the coffee kiosk in a chain in Pittsburgh. Debating whether or not to even go in. Attendance is frozen so no points but 3 consecutive call offs and we need and excuse. My department is down so we're being sent to cashier or curbside shop

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Just wanted to pop in and say thank you. For as much panic and mania that is happening right now, we'd be absolutely nowhere without you all. While the rest of us bunker down, you are part of the collective effort that "keeps the lights on". Again - thank you. You're working hard and dealing a crazed and contaminated general public. It takes guts to do that.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
We did all our shopping so we should be good for a week. But driving by my local Publix, the parking lot was packed. Yikes

But we stopped in our local Asian market and not nearly as busy.

So protip, go to your local Asian market if you need to get something quick.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
My manager called everyone in to work today even on our day off because the store was an absolute madhouse. We did $10,000 before 4pm and business wasn't slowing down by the time I left at 6:30. We don't get another truck in until Saturday next week and our shelves are bare.

We also got a memo from corporate that basically said we only get time off if we actually become infected. That's fun to know.

Last edited:

Severance

Oct 27, 2017
I work at Whole Foods in downtown Manhattan, it's been madness. We are breaking daily and weekly sales records set during the holiday season. We have less staff on than the holidays, plus people are calling out more often. Distributors can't keep up with our needs and shelves are going empty. Meanwhile.. I have been able to go shopping at my local neighborhood grocers in Brooklyn just fine. They're a little busier sure, but it seems as if everyone is relying on the big name stores. At this point I think it'd be better if Whole Foods shortened the hours they're open. Condense the schedule down to 8am to 8pm.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I work at Whole Foods in downtown Manhattan, it's been madness. We are breaking daily and weekly sales records set during the holiday season. We have less staff on than the holidays, plus people are calling out more often. Distributors can't keep up with our needs and shelves are going empty. Meanwhile.. I have been able to go shopping at my local neighborhood grocers in Brooklyn just fine. They're a little busier sure, but it seems as if everyone is relying on the big name stores. At this point I think it'd be better if Whole Foods shortened the hours they're open. Condense the schedule down to 8am to 8pm.
Word, I went to the key food and local butcher shop to buy food and it seemed just a little bit busier than normal. Mean while cvs, Walgreens and target and Trader Joe's have been raided and picked clean, so weird.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
Heading into work now. Can't wait to see the disaster that unfolded.

Not sure I can stay full 12 hours extended shift this time since my elbow is really feelin' it from yesterday (hauling milk crates). Don't need to get a Repetitive Stress Injury out of this too lol.

UPDATE: lol!! turns out there was some trouble with distro today so our grocery load didn't even come in! RIP to that department. My load did come in though..

Last edited:

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
UPDATE: lol!! turns out there was some trouble with distro today so our grocery load didn't even come in! RIP to that department. My load did come in though..
Same thing happened to me today. Seemed crazier today than yesterday. We decided to delay our opening by 2 hours. Actually had a guy come in before opening and when I told him we were still closed and he actually said "Oh well, good thing I'm all set :D "

SlasherMcGirk

Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati
I work at a starbucks inside a grocery store and you would not believe how busy we were this weekend. You would think people would be cautious about drinking stuff people theoretically put the hand all over their lid but no. Seeing the trashiest people come in and act like things aren't a big deal. I was handing this guy money today and he literally grabbed my hand and took the money as he wiped his hands all over mine. Immediately washed my hands. So tired of people coming in saying everybody is exaggerating things.

lazybones18

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Checked out two Meijers and a Target today. Hardly any bleach, hand soap and toilet paper shelves were barren. Hell, even the bread shelves were empty too. No hamburger/hot dog buns, no bagels either. Jeez louise.

One more thing: What in the world is Meijer thinking? I know they want to put limits on what you can buy given our current situation. But who the hell thought it was a good idea to set the limit at 5? Nobody doesn't need to be buying 5 12-packs of toilet paper, or 5 double/triple-packs of paper towel. Stop enabling the vultures

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
I just worked 1pm to 1:30AM. It was all hands on deck. Lots of people putting in hard work. Spirits were surprisingly good.

My back hurts.

Our truck is normally 700 to 1000 pieces...

x3dhLv2_d.jpg

5,481 pieces.

Whitemex

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I am the buyer for a prep food Dept and I just got word that all of our bars and self serve areas are gonna be shut down starting tomorrow. Gonna have to see if other departments can take my product to keep from having to spoil

Meia

Oct 26, 2017
Grocery loads didn't come in Saturday, OR Sunday night, so our shelves are pretty bare atm. Paper, houshold, any kind of canned bean, rice, ramen, wipes(including baby) just all gone. Truck on Saturday was supposed to be 5100 when our normal Saturday load is like a 1800, and we have another order in for 7200 sometime soon. The stuff from most accounts is at the warehouse, already loaded onto pallets, just no trucks to deliver them. Other departments still getting theirs(dairy came as I left this morning as there was nothing else to do), but Grocery is just boned.

SpecX

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I've seen some real nasty attitudes and people are going crazy over fear of not having enough. I tip my hat to you guys in this industry and thank you for putting up with people and their bs. Hoping things get better over the coming days/weeks and I've made my shopping visit brief and simple as we have most of what we need.

Jarrod38

Oct 25, 2017
Checked out two Meijers and a Target today. Hardly any bleach, hand soap and toilet paper shelves were barren. Hell, even the bread shelves were empty too. No hamburger/hot dog buns, no bagels either. Jeez louise.

One more thing: What in the world is Meijer thinking? I know they want to put limits on what you can buy given our current situation. But who the hell thought it was a good idea to set the limit at 5? Nobody doesn't need to be buying 5 12-packs of toilet paper, or 5 double/triple-packs of paper towel. Stop enabling the vultures
If you have a hardware store near you and need towels just go buy shop towels like the blue ones.

Azuran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The money is not worth this nonsense. Its ridiculous that they're shuttling down all social events and gatherings yet people are congregating like crazy in grocery stores.

I don't care if its essential services. Grocery workers shouldn't have to put themselves at risk so Karen can get her 50 unnecessary cans of soup.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
The money is not worth this nonsense. Its ridiculous that they're shuttling down all social events and gatherings yet people are congregating like crazy in grocery stores.

I don't care if its essential services. Grocery workers shouldn't have to put themselves at risk so Karen can get her 50 unnecessary cans of soup.
^^^^^ At the same time of course people need to buy food. There has to be some sort of middleground here besides this insanity

boxter432

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I work in a more HQ type role (planning/forecasting) for a large vendor supporting a major retailer, and might be going out to help our merchandisers/delivery drivers stock shelves at our customer.
Any protocols in store employees have been doing I should mimic? Should I pick up some disposable gloves as I handle cases of product etc...?

MopDog

Nov 15, 2017
Major chain grocery store worker here.

It's a kind sentiment and I appreciate it, but it's tiresome hearing that "I'm a hero" for providing a service at a time like this.

No, I am not a hero for being thrust into the epicenter of a global pandemic without a say in the matter. If I am a hero to anyone it is the capitalist venture that I am putting before my health and reaping in unimaginable profits. Profits that, as of now, have not in any way been guaranteed to trickle down to the workers.

As of now, there is zero incentive to continue to work except for losing hours, a job, and potentially health insurance in the latter half of the year.

I. Am. Not. A. Hero.

I am expendable cash fodder. Thanks, though.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
Going to my usual Sunday night trip for Grocery, and there was no shortage of vegetarian meat substitutes. Everything else was gone. The vegetable juice I always buy was also fully in stock.

SpillYerBeans

Oct 25, 2017
Been a pretty surreal experience working this past weekend. Of course the essential items are flying off the shelves but people have been acting like this is not a big deal, standing around conversing in groups, wall to wall of people standing at the deli, etc. It was a typical weekend at the grocery store just with more holes on shelves.

I have seen older women/men shopping alone and feeling horrible for them having to come out in the middle of all this with the possibility of catching the virus because of the general public not taking this seriously.

Any protocols in store employees have been doing I should mimic? Should I pick up some disposable gloves as I handle cases of product etc...?

I have been wearing gloves when I stock out of precaution, was not ordered to do so.

Last edited:

born2bleed

Oct 25, 2017
I work for a major chain in southern California and our normal sales for the week are usually 700k and this last week we did 1.4mil. It's been a madhouse to say the least. Most shelves are empty and our warehouse is running nearly 24 hours behind. One of our trucks that was to be dispatched at 8pm Saturday didn't show until 4pm Sunday.

I feel for everyone else working in the stores too.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I work part time at Krogers and I dont want to go in and risk getting my family sick because of me. I feel like they are going to huge assholes about it, so I dont know what I should do. Im in the union, but they always seem to favor management and full time people over someone like myself, even though ive been there almost 5 years.

OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well we've moved to 7 am to 10 pm hours now...

Extra hour in the morning to get accounting done this week which is nice before the rush, and a way to get things cleaned up at night too.

Katten

Oct 27, 2017
I managed to get the last bottle of hand sanitizer in my local store a few weeks ago, and that is pretty much the only thing I have not seen on the shelves since. We had people going nuts with shopping Wednesday night last week (Denmark here). But both of my local shops had pretty much everything restocked Thursday, which I found rather impressive.

Only real difference is that a few of the older workers in the bigger one of the shops aren't manning the lines. Hope they are OK. Instead some of the youngest employees are there on the front lines, leading to some rather understandable slowdowns. I was shopping Sunday, and the poor young man who was there seemed utterly confused by everything, and had to call for help 3 times while I was waiting in line. I was just happy to be able to be able to shop normally.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
It sucks I have the means due to all my planned trips for the next 12 months being axed to take an extended time off..

But literally grocery is one of a handful of places that I have zero chance to get an extended leave of absence

And i don't think I can afford to outright quit

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Oh oh

Did anyone else find that no one was buying Alfredo Sauce?

Literally my pasta sauce aisle was ransacked but a shit ton of Alfredo was still there

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Thank you guys. I used to work grocery several years ago and I know how tough it is. Can't even imagine now.