• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Guys, can you stop making me want this? I don't have the money! All hype is to be put on hold thanks.

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
Is the 30 to 40 hours estimate correct? I just left New Serene and am already 9 hours in.

M. Wallace

Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
welp, looks like I'll be playing the game much sooner thanks to one of you lovely angels

2rK4i8b.gif

you're the best, era

That's awesome.

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
man, skillup making me second guess
Mod Edit - Do not post links to this site

Last edited by a moderator:

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
Karak's word is bond.

Not gonna start until I'm done with DQ11 (whenever that will be) but buying this tomorrow to support Spider.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even SkillUp isn't saying it's a bad game, just not enough content and a lot of reused assets. That's all fine with me, honestly.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
i don't mind a game I'm interested in getting bad reviews, there's a couple of games I've played in the past month that have had 6's and I've still really enjoyed them *cough SolSeraph cough*

negative reviews still have some value in seeing how some people experience a game, and to see what issues they might've had

going by impressions, videos and previews alone I can tell I'm gonna really dig this game, but I do think it's worth seeing other peoples thoughts and the like

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Even SkillUp isn't saying it's a bad game, just not enough content and a lot of reused assets. That's all fine with me, honestly.
I think also its a bit telling to see some folks having got more than 5 hours of it already even in the prologue. I feel like almost all of us saw the same things but it depends on how you play. Golden pathing, versus exploring, battle versus story, bugs or no bugs.

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
I think also its a bit telling to see some folks having got more than 5 hours of it already even in the prologue. I feel like almost all of us saw the same things but it depends on how you play. Golden pathing, versus exploring, battle versus story, bugs or no bugs.

Did you find it unnecessarily padded? Will watch your review when the harpy goes to sleep.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Did you find it unnecessarily padded? Will watch your review when the harpy goes to sleep.
Padding no some lean spots yes. But we are seeing even Twitch streamers who aren't know for hanging out, getting many hours in just the prologue prior to the island itself and the island is huge with tons of quests up until the end. It has its issues and as I said it depends on how you play.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017

I'm about 3h in and I'd say I'm 1/3 into the prologue. This is easily a 60h game for me, maybe even more if I keep playing it on hard...

This will make me go back to Control to finish it before the weekend, so then I can focus on Greedfall and savour as it deserves.

I mean it's truly a gift for fantasy and rpg fans like me...

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
Just think, if a small AA developer like Spiders can make this with a purported $5 million budget imagine what Bioware could do if they actually tried.

Frankly devs don't typically start out as AAA powerhouses, I can see Spiders being on the path to great growth and improvement if GreedFall is indicative of their heart and vision.
Money is the reason why Bioware could never do a game like this again. The more money involved, the more safe and 'mass appeal' the game needs to be. There's a budget sweet spot that can provide deep roleplaying with decent production values, add any more money to this mix and you'll remove the depth.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Damn, even the starting area is so large AND dense with lots of people to interact with and quests to do. I could spend hours in here.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I took the plunge.. After their AMA, watching every trailer again. I think it's worth the full price and Spiders deserves it. I know reviews are going to have some very critical things to say.. but I hope they take it into consideration thats its not a full price game and the fact it's a AA game. I hope they mention how it fairs with regard to Technomamcer (which I really liked, more so than any other AA RPG I've played) and the score reflects that.
We live in a weird world of score justification.. and giving an "indie game" made by 100 people sometimes deserves 85% because it's indie... and 60% for a AA game because it "isn't AAA" isn't exactly fair.
Dont agree with the Dualshockers review, the game deserves a 72-75% to be honest. But 60s is honestly a joke.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Tip: The opening city has lots of fire. I kept seeing sparks that looked like embers, but were really loot sparkles. So don't miss it like I did.

Also equip your pre-order stuff right away if you can. Some stuff may require skills.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
I think the reviews and this thread have pushed me to pick this up sooner rather than later. Just need to clear some of the stuff that's on my plate at the moment.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm about 3h in and I'd say I'm 1/3 into the prologue. This is easily a 60h game for me, maybe even more if I keep playing it on hard...

This will make me go back to Control to finish it before the weekend, so then I can focus on Greedfall and savour as it deserves.

I mean it's truly a gift for fantasy and rpg fans like me...
Ya thats why I brought it up in the review that starting part has a TON of stuff in it. It can make you think the island is like connected to that spot its crazy. Tons of content in that way

Varixio

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone know what the resolution is that it runs on the Xbox One X or PS4 Pro? I have both so want to decide based on the resolution

Ivory Samoan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Are his sentiments echoed in other eviews? Real question.
Oddly, he's an outlier for once...ACG is a MUCH more positive review.

This confuses me, since they nearly always align...guess it is one of those gotta try it to know games :)

Aka I'm buying this tonight!

Dynamic upscale to 4k. I compared to them alot and couldn't find a difference worth mentioning to be honest

Just as I mention you, I see your post: sounds good to go on Pro for me!

Polite Enquiry: Did you find the companions as bad as Skillup Ralph did?

I'm big on companions, and banter.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Well shit, seems like I need to pick this up! I'll get it when I'm back from vacation.

R dott B

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't expect this to be so good but I'm really enjoying it. I rarely do side quests in games but these ones are interesting.

Hassansan

Oct 27, 2017
My FPS was going all over the place but RTSS fixed that, playing now at smooth 60fps at 1800p on a 2080.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Was this Kotaku review posted? Seems disingenuous to handwring about the story potentially not dealing with the colonial setting properly when you've only played 10 hours of the game and don't know what all the quests are building up to for the ending.
OUCH. Cause not only are they wrong they sound like they missed a couple VERY thematic elements that pop up right away.. Also ya weird to pretend something when your not done but for what they are saying you would not have had to have beat it to see a good deal of the things they apparently missed.

Last edited:

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017

Was this Kotaku review posted? Seems disingenuous to handwring about the story potentially not dealing with the colonial setting properly when you've only played 10 hours of the game and don't know what all the quests are building up to for the ending.
To be fair, it's much more easy to cock up than get right. I've had reservations from the beginning about that bit. Time will tell.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States

I saw this posted and have mixed thoughts on it. Heather does have a point about how wanting to placate all parties can be seen as enabling. And, yea, getting "friendly" with every faction is framed as desirable through Greedfall's Reputation system -- you are explicitly rewarded for it.

But the two most 'villainous' factions of the game (Theleme and Bridge Alliance) tackle their viewpoints through their respective questlines. Maybe you play through those and still don't think it does 'enough'. That would be fair. But Looking for that condemnating shakeup and transformative action in the first quarter of the game seems to be jumping the gun, to me.

I saw someone else phrase it this way which I think is appropriate and echos my thoughts at the moment: 'there's still half a scale of measures of extremes between "glorifies" and "doesn't construct itself wholly around the condemnation of" '

Erdtree

Oct 25, 2017
My amazon au order seems be delayed
Might try to grab a copy at jb but then i lose the preorder dlc...amazon are so shitty getting stuff to perth on release day