• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
ljBZ3sh.png

Honestly that part in the middle of Faceless Soldier might be just as good, when the beat drops right as the dogfight actually starts and Trigger becomes leader of the squad for the first time.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
No gameplay here but music and story - (FFVII spoilers - 16:35 if timestamp doesnt work)

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Shadow of the Colossus Boss #5 Avion.

The battle in the sky, while hanging on to it on dear life & the track Despair Filled Farewell in the background.

KingBae

Oct 28, 2017
Oh that's a great moment, OP. My pick is fresh on my mind because I just beat it.

Control:
Ashtray Maze

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Not even an Halo fan, but the last playable sequence in Halo Reach was a microcosm of that game's tone.

completing your suicide mission, and then getting the mission prompt to just survive for as long as you can ... then your visor begins to crack as you realise there will be too many enemies to take out

3VkHTBcKOXXLtSZyBdoYgsbZ4K4FzMgYfTATw9T2BF4.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
Control-Ashtray Maze
Red Dead Redemption -Entering Mexico
Red Dead Redemption 2 - Unshaken, Cruel World, etc
Rayman Legends - Music Levels
Sackboy A Big Adventure - Music Levels

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
A couple of picks...

The Kingdom Hearts 2 team-up reflect where you're controlling both characters versus the final boss:

tenor.gif

Fighting Gwyn at the end of Dark Souls:

Microwave corridor in MGS4:

MGS4-Microwave-Corridor-3.jpg

Final battle in MGS4:

oza8kp.gif

Also, ReMind in Kingdom Hearts 3 has a god-tier, microwave corridor-esque moment with Mickey that is fucking magical:

gaugebozo

Oct 25, 2017
Ludwig from Bloodborne, when he pulls out the moonlight greatsword and a waltz starts is a chills moment.

Codeblue

Oct 25, 2017
The ending sequence of The Outer Wilds.

It's a perfect culmination of everything in that game.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019

Square uses a similar trick in FF7 where they opt to play
Aerith's theme in the boss fight directly after her death instead of the battle theme.

I mean, it's so gorgeous.

Haklen

Dec 15, 2018
It's gonna be a thread full of Nier Automata, Kingdom Hearts, Metal Gear Rising and Monster Hunter, that's for sure. (Rising takes the cake though)

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Bravely Default
When the other versions of the main cast come in to help in the final boss and the character themes are incorporated into the final boss theme. Felt like a good payoff to the many worlds plot. Then the 3DS camera comes on that shit was peak

Kung Fucius

Jun 28, 2019
Recently for me:

Undertale's Last Boss Battle (Pacifist)
Katana Zero's Final Boss Battle
Nier Automata Boss Battles
Hollow Knight Boss Battles

zswordsman

Nov 5, 2017
The suicidal nihilistic robots going on a rampage in Nier Automata with that awesome track playing as you're trying to escape the factory.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
ljBZ3sh.png

Honestly that part in the middle of Faceless Soldier might be just as good, when the beat drops right as the dogfight actually starts and Trigger becomes leader of the squad for the first time.

Recently yeah that part of Ace Combat was great.
Generally this thread id probably say From Software Bosses are this

But the best ive ever seen is probably the Ori games.

This continued through to its sequel with some of the most perfect mixes of audio visual interactivity.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
all of edith finch
little bro using big bro's abiltiies
that one alley-oop in the last of us

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker: Big Boss vs Zeke.

Story wise, Paz reveal her true identity & reasons why she get close to Snake/Big Boss.

Battle wise, one-one-one against giant Metal Gear Zeke while catchy J-Pop song in the background sang by Nana Mizuki.

In my opinion, the first time I played it, it's kinda epic.

I give props to Kojima for this one.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
The first time I remember all of these factors really coming together at once was probably the final level of NiGHTS Into Dreams.

In every prior level of the game, you enter a distinct and fantastical dream world as one of two playable children, but you don't play as either of them for very long. They're very limited and grounded in what they can do, and you're on kind of a hard time limit before an alarm egg will catch them and instantly end the game. You're intended to free NiGHTS from his prison at the start of each stage, upon which control passes over to him and you're free to use his many acrobatic abilities to gracefully fly around the stage properly and complete the actual level objective. If you're playing the game correctly then you're only using the children for mere seconds in each level.

The final stage starts off very differently, though. Even though it takes place within a dream like all prior stages do, its world isn't a reality-bending fantasy, but one that heavily resembles the city in which the children live, implying that the villain of the game is getting close to achieving his goal of breaking into the real world. He briefly shows himself (for the first time ever up to this point) at the start of this stage, forcefully prevents you from freeing NiGHTS and flings you across the entire stage, where your only course of action is to jump off a cliff.

...Upon which your character finally amasses the courage to fly him or herself and clear the final stage without help. It's very well put together: a fine case of show but don't tell (NiGHTS has no spoken or written dialogue) with some good theming about overcoming your nightmares. The music is great (and makes heavy use of the game's main leitmotif), and even though the process of flight with the children is new and you're now controlling them much in the way that you would be controlling NiGHTS, the other minor gameplay details that differentiated them from NiGHTS (such as their inability to paraloop like NiGHTS can, and the magnetic way in which nearby items are attracted to them) are still respected. The final level is also structured slightly differently in that you're incentivized to race to the end as fast as possible instead of milking the timer for points.

Last edited:

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017

Bit of a random one but this being the culmination of the game and I believe the only point in which the soundtrack has vocals made it pretty cool. Wasn't expecting it.

JustTom

May 28, 2018
Germany...
We all know there can only be one answer.
Two words: Undertale - Megalovania. It all just comes together so well.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
Max Payne 3 at the Airport

youtu.be

Max Payne 3 OST - Health - Tears (Airport Gameplay HD)

Gameplay taken from my walkthrough. I just wanted to showcase the awesome job Rockstar did yet again picking a perfect song for a perfect moment in the game...

Bit of a random one but this being the culmination of the game and I believe the only point in which the soundtrack has vocals made it pretty cool. Wasn't expecting it.

It's this.

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
The first and only one that comes to mind for me off the top of my head is the impeccable climax of Bastion, when

The Kid saves Zulf while "Mother, I'm Home" plays in the background, and the enemies stop shooting.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

The sudden silence, the dawning realization it's YOU from the last game, then the all-new battle theme

The entire ending sequence of the Wonderful 101

I would say shadowbringers is decently high on that list.

It always bums me out when FFXIV has really awesome boss reveals and music cues then I'm stuck in a Duty waiting list for 20+ minutes because I'm DPS

Kinda takes the winds out of your sails when the boss is just... hovering there.

If you count dialogue choices as gameplay though, those are uniformly perfect

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
Not even an Halo fan, but the last playable sequence in Halo Reach was a microcosm of that game's tone.

completing your suicide mission, and then getting the mission prompt to just survive for as long as you can ... then your visor begins to crack as you realise there will be too many enemies to take out

3VkHTBcKOXXLtSZyBdoYgsbZ4K4FzMgYfTATw9T2BF4.jpg
It may be one of the greatest moments Bungie ever made.