• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
With the photo realism it's pretty clear we've reached peak diminishing returns. But funnily enough you could see some definite leaps with the more stylized arcadey looking games.

Oct 25, 2017
I think people need to go and look at the game trailers in 4k. this is not even close to current gen.

have. did as soon as someone told me they were uploading

i do think that its still doing a lot more than what current gen consoles can do, but honestly, those massive generational leaps are just not there imo

people love to overreact though. someone says "its not a generational leap to me" and people go off into the deep end "SO YOURE SAYING IT LOOKS BAD?!?!"

I still remember the fucking hell moment from going with no texture filtering polygon warping low resolution of the PSX to the dreamcast

Nobody can convince me that the last few generations have been anywhere close to that

and thats ok

im still happy and all in on next gen

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
image_horizon_forbidden_west-42164-4519_0006.jpg
image_ratchet_clank_rift_apart-42171-4503_0004.jpg

CanisMajoris

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Horizon 2 looks better then anything announced or released today. DS remake and Ratchet and Clank look insane as well.
And this is early next gen staff.

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
Lol this thread. I thought Horizon was CG and ractchet and clank looked so good. This thread has aged like a milk. Remind me of VFXveteran where he claimed game wont look better than what is avialiable on PC at the time

IronFalcon1997

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
Wow, those games look great! Comparing Horizon to RDR2 shows some clear improvements in detail, animation, and lighting, but like many people are saying, the leaps keep getting smaller each generation, and that's apparent here. While there's a difference for sure, I'm not nearly as impressed with it as I was with Last of Us or Killzone: Shadowfall back in the day. That's nothing against the devs as they've clearly done a phenomenal job, it just means that we have to look harder to find less differences.

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
Wow, those games look great! Comparing Horizon to RDR2 shows some clear improvements in detail, animation, and lighting, but like many people are saying, the leaps keep getting smaller each generation, and that's apparent here. While there's a difference for sure, I'm not nearly as impressed with it as I was with Last of Us or Killzone: Shadowfall back in the day. That's nothing against the devs as they've clearly done a phenomenal job, it just means that we have to look harder to find less differences.
I dont know how you can say that. HZD looked like CG compared to RDR2. It looks so bland now. Only non impressive game shown was spider-man miles

IronFalcon1997

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
I dont know how you can say that. HZD looked like CG compared to RDR2. It looks so bland now. Only non impressive game shown was spider-man miles
Hey, that's just my opinion and what I saw. Of course it's a step up, but it's not nearly the step up the PS3 was to PS4 and especially not anything earlier than that.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
There wasn't a Killzone Shadow Fall moment where you knew right away it was a gen apart from the PS3, but we can still get one eventually with a more linear title like say Uncharted 5 and whatnot. Horizon 2 looked good, but if Guerrilla was showing a linear FPS it would have been a bigger jump.
I dunno, I think a lot of the games looked incredible. The micro-detail in Horizon 2 and Ratchet was really impressive.

Raguel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
the trailers in 4k looks amazing. Go back and watch them in 4k. Completely different experience

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Deep fried crow has been served!

It's tasty isn't it?

The stylised games were fucking offline cgi and horizon looked immense so it's time say it, fuck your toy story and toy story 2, monsters inc 1 and incredibles 1, gaming has jumped to wall e levels of stylised visuals, on year one of the new console generation. We couldn't even match toy story 1 at the end of last gen. Incredible. Fully expect insomniac to 'handshake' the likes of toy story 3 on the sequel to the new rachet and clank once they fully get to grips with the ray tracing and real time global illumination mid gen.

The jump is exactly what I wanted and damn happy it will jump as the gen goes on.

Didn't give a shit about RTX until the next gen consoles were out about ray tracing, even though it is the future indeed, and thanks to them we will get ray tracing across the board on cheap and expensive cards alike. Now I give a shit because my wallet won't cry for the ray tracing goodness on pc by next year. GT7 ray traced reflections were utterly tantalising in the snippets we saw. The GI looked stunning too on the flyover.

The games come alive and show off the leap something fierce in the higher quality 4K uploads and Ive watched R&C, horizon 2, GT7, demon souls trailers multiple times now.

Oct 29, 2017
It is also welcomed that the whole thing is more honest than last gen. It is better to get trailers that look like the actual games than stuff like Deep Down. Hopefully means we will leave behind fake trailers that look impossibly good.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
I would like to know how many of these games used ray tracing GI. All I saw was nice textures, effects and super shiny ray tracing reflections.

Edit: semantics

Last edited:

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
i think that the biggest problem with this new gen is that while overall graphics will be obviously better the real difference will be in things you don't see as easily in trailers or screenshots. Like instant loading, higher framerates, better AI, a lot more physics on the screen etc. Essentially stuff done by way faster SSD (compared to old HDDs on this gen) and state of art CPU (compared to laptop CPUs of this gen).

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I loved the falling through worlds in ratchet and clank. That definitely could not be done on current gen.

and the amazing environments of Horizon make HZD look dated already

mcruz79

Apr 28, 2020
seeing the videos of the reveal I think that effects ( smoke, explosions, fire, particle in general ) were a bit underwhelming graphically.
i was hoping a bit more evolution in this aspect compared to ps4 games.
what you guys think?
i thought that the underwater segment in horizon trailer looked a lot like the underwater scenes in uncharted 4.

AudiophileRS

Apr 14, 2018
There's a lot of tight shots, visually busy scenes and heavy dof in the Spider-Man MM trailer. Even the YT 4K trailer is full of compression artefacts too. Can barely make anything out, not a great trailer to demonstrate it imo..

Horizon made me giddy though....

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
RT as in ray tracing.

Thought you meant that but was not 100%.

Not that I can see yet unfortunately, or a very low RT quality setting. But all the trailers are of old builds and the game devs are all first timers grappling with this bevy of new tech.

I'm waiting for deeper dives of gt7. Only because that game should indicate of Sony first party devs have jumped on the RTX GI train.

dynamitejim

Oct 25, 2017
Horizon wasn't as impressive as I was hoping. There's a clear step up in fidelity in many areas, but there's also a lot that looks "last gen". The character rendering in particular doesn't look like a drastic boost. I think the Hellblade 2 trailer looked better, to be honest.