• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I assumed, (wrongly) that people would understand that the violence is active in the game. If your just driving around and such you are less liable to run into the extreme violence but the sex and cussing is more passive and you have more of a chance to see and hear that. It's like folks are trying to be daft however, I will own not explaining myself better. The violence is also a no go.

You want the makers of GTA to put in a mode that removes the swearing, nudity and... violence... and it's the rest of us who are daft? lol. The series is named after a major felony offence. This is just the "Dark Souls needs an easy mode" debate in different clothes. Doom needs a mode where the guns are candy canes, and they shoot puppies and rainbows at lawn gnomes, so my five year old can play it.

Not every game wants to be, tries to be, or needs to be for everyone.

If your kids just want a believable world they can drive trucks around in, might I recommend The Crew, or the Forza Horizon series?

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I'm actually surprised by the amount of people that are against this.

Removing blood/swear words/nudity would go a long way for a lot of people. Remember, in our western culture violence has been "accepted" way more than any of those other things.
Videogame people getting shot is okay but not videogame boobies, and that's just our culture.

GTAV could still be really fun without the gratuitous nudity and swearing.

Except the person goes on to clarify about dozen posts after this one, that the violence is also not okay. So they want a GTA game without violence too - which is to say they want a GTA game that fundamentally isn't GTA any more, put in as a "mode" so that little kids can play a game that is fundamentally made for an older audience.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Oh god absolutely not. It's a mature rated game just keep it like that and keep it away from kids. The amount of content that would need to be cut is simply unreasonable

OP
OP
Soapbox Killer
Oct 28, 2017
You want the makers of GTA to put in a mode that removes the swearing, nudity and... violence... and it's the rest of us who are daft? lol. The series is named after a major felony offence. This is just the "Dark Souls needs an easy mode" debate in different clothes. Doom needs a mode where the guns are candy canes, and they shoot puppies and rainbows at lawn gnomes, so my five year old can play it.

If your kids just want a believable world they can drive trucks around in, might I recommend The Crew, or the Forza Horizon series?

No. R* doesn't have to, It's in the OP now.

Exit Music

Nov 13, 2017
I don't know why people are against options. It would be a trivial amount of work to patch in a filter for nudity and swearing. I think it's a cool idea to give people more freedom to enjoy games in ways that make them comfortable.

I understand it's still GTA, but there's a lot that makes GTA great besides graphic nudity and swearing.

Some games already have blood/gore filters, don't give me the artistic integrity argument when we are talking about floppy weiners and potty humor. OP was just asking for the option.

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
I don't know why people are against options. It would be a trivial amount of work to patch in a filter for nudity and swearing. I think it's a cool idea to give people more freedom to enjoy games in ways that make them comfortable.

I understand it's still GTA, but there's a lot that makes GTA great besides graphic nudity and swearing.

Some games already have blood/gore filters, don't give me the artistic integrity argument when we are talking about floppy weiners and potty humor. OP was just asking for the option.
I think most people find is more crazy than anything else, no ones asking for this other than some slim number of people that are ok with their kids playing this

but cursing and nudity are a no go.
Its just mind numbingly ridiculous.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even know where to begin with how silly the idea of Rockstar making and marketing a PG mode of GTA is, but yeah, mods can make that possible.

I think the function of GTA at that point is not really all that different from most open-world racing games that have released this past gen, but I suppose still having the ability to walk around the world could be fun for a little while for some kids.

OP
OP
Soapbox Killer
Oct 28, 2017
I think most people find is more crazy than anything else, no ones asking for this other than some slim number of people that are ok with their kids playing this

but cursing and nudity are a no go.
Its just mind numbingly ridiculous.

Seriously? Over 4 pages and 150 post and you think this is what I'm driving at? I'm not sayin you have to agree or even like what I'm asking for but this? C'mon Man!

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017

This.
Not every game needs to be designed to be family friendly. Games like GTA are definitely not appropriate for a 9 year old and not because of cursing. In GTA V you have random side missions where you can kidnap people and deliver them to a death cult, you can also join another cult, assassinate targets or blackmail some with photos.

Lebon30

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
To me, it's more like... why the f do you make your kids play a Mature 17+ game?!

EDIT

And then expect the game to be kid friendly? Sorry, I can't compute.

OP
OP
Soapbox Killer
Oct 28, 2017
Never said you were asking people to agree, calling something crazy isn't shutting you down seeing as I'm not the first.

Then am I to assume you missed every post I made about the violence also being a no-go or the missions? He just want to drive vehicles and explore?

The world unto itself is its own game outside of all the scum? Perhaps.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
OP I um...I dont know how to say this...um why is a 9yr old playing GTA5 man?!

Listen even my past teen self like kept it real.

There's some games just not meant for some certain age groups. GTA is not for 10yrs or young dude.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
why is a 9yr old playing GTA5 man?!
It's probably been nearly impossible to stop socially-connected kids from playing GTA for a while now. If a kid has a large enough circle of friends, one of them will probably have parents lenient or ignorant enough to let them own a copy of GTA, and through them all those friends will have seen or played GTA.

My brother tried to keep his 12-year-old from playing GTA Online for a while but ultimately had to relent because all his friends from school, who are around the same age and who play with him on XBL and PSN, have also been playing GTAO.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I think it would be the ethical move to make but not that profitable. A lot of kids already play the game so giving parents the option to restrict the worst stuff mostly shown in the cutscenes would be great. It's weird to see a lot of people in this thread just pretend kids don't play GTA. They're already being exposed to scenes condoning torture and passing off attempted rape as a goof.

Plus it would be funny to see the player run over pedestrians and have them bounce around balloons like in Simpsons Hit and Run.

Dogo Mojo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As a parent of two children no thank you. It's perfectly acceptable that there are video games intended for mature/adult audiences. There are plenty of games out there that allow you to do similar things to GTA without the things that would be inappropriate for children. Lego City undercover does exactly this but you claim it doesn't count?

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
It's probably been nearly impossible to stop socially-connected kids from playing GTA for a while now. If a kid has a large enough circle of friends, one of them will probably have parents lenient or ignorant enough to let them own a copy of GTA, and through them all those friends will have seen or played GTA.

My brother tried to keep his 12-year-old from playing GTA Online for a while but ultimately had to relent because all his friends from school, who are around the same age and who play with him on XBL and PSN, have also been playing GTAO.
12-13 yr olds to me is better than <10yr olds. I must have been 13 or so when I played GTA3.

I just think there is definitely a set of games I wouldnt introduce to younger kids.

There are so many games out there that these younger kids can play this day and age, there is no excuse.

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so sorry, OP. This thread is hilarious for reasons that are definitely not your fault IMO.

Also surprised by how many ppl are freaking out about the idea of a kid playing a game like GTA. I was raised on R-rated horror and scifi flicks and it was totally fine because my folks always sat down with me and explained everything, like how these were special effects and not real, and why this is bad, etc.

Good parents can absolutely get their kids in one stuff like this provided they're there to be a guiding hand.

And ironically, that isn't even what this thread is about. I just had to react because people are having heart attacks at the prospect of a kid playing a violent game.

Shit, me and the fam were RE2ing when I was 10. They'd sit down with me and watch, then help when I got stuck. lol

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
That would be cruel:
TowAJTkL_o.jpg

I don't think this was as bad as people made it out to be. Yeah it was hard, but I got through it in about 20 minutes of trying.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
I'm so sorry, OP. This thread is hilarious for reasons that are definitely not your fault IMO.

Also surprised by how many ppl are freaking out about the idea of a kid playing a game like GTA. I was raised on R-rated horror and scifi flicks and it was totally fine because my folks always sat down with me and explained everything, like how these were special effects and not real, and why this is bad, etc.

Good parents can absolutely get their kids in one stuff like this provided they're there to be a guiding hand.

And ironically, that isn't even what this thread is about. I just had to react because people are having heart attacks at the prospect of a kid playing a violent game.

Shit, me and the fam were RE2ing when I was 10. They'd sit down with me and watch, then help when I got stuck. lol
I think with generations improving the fidelity, things are changing. The hot coffee shit of GTASA may have looked hilarious back then due to the nature of the hardware at the time. A similar scene might be more "explicite" with today's standards. Our 10-13yr old selves or yesteryear are not experiencing the same thing as kids today.

Like I mentioned here, I also played M rated games in my teens but it was like RE or GTA VC. Mainly shooters not anything outside of that. (Self contained experiences)

J2C

Oct 26, 2017
Go for Lego games. Good open world aint that exclusive anymore and plenty of pg options

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
I don't even know what a PG version of GTA looks like. The worst of it goes beyond just naughty language and sexual impropriety.

I guess a PG version of the game would be one with no pedestrians, no weapons, and driverless cars?

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
GTA is intrinsically offensive and M rated in its core design. Removing a few elements won't change that.

Just give em Simpsons Hit and Run or Sitting Ducks for PS2.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
GRAND THEFT AUTO. That name really screams for the children or for the family. Reminds me of the people that bought Hollywood films just to censor them and re-sell them.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Hey OP,
Try the game Bully.

Great Rockstar open world, safe for 14 year olds (probably fine for your kid).

It take a few hours to open the game up, but it's a great little open world.
- Bikes and paper routes instead of cars and bank robbing.
- Stuffing kids in lockers, giving them swirlies, shooting them with slingshots, making fart bombs in chem class instead of shooting people with guns.
- Stealing kisses from girls, sneaking into girl's dorms in goofy ways, instead of strip clubs and sex.

One if my favorite games of all time. It's a bit dated a junky now, but still amazing.

Deleted member 1698

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you want a big world with all the content, gameplay and interactions removed, just get them something from ubisoft or bethesda

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Rockstar will do as money dictates. Money dictates right now that they dont need to change shit.

Hopefully for the next game, they can make a good shooter and a likeable cast thats not screaming in every scene.

Fuck them kids. They dont need gta. They will get gta.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I think you may want to look into a game like crackdown 3. Might end being what you're looking for.

I don't personally agree because of how much GTA depends on said stuff to be fun but I definitely see where you're coming from and what you're asking for.

TRV

Nov 27, 2020
The Netherlands
It's not going to happen, but I would absolutely love such a mode OP. It wouldn't necessarily be a kids mode either: there are many online communities which do non-violent role-playing in (modded) GTA V, it's simply the best basis for such a thing. So I don't think it's a weird suggestion at all.

But since that's wishful thinking, what about Driver: San Francisco? It's a little older, but it's great for free roaming and has a feature to switch to any car you want at any time, including busses and trucks, so that would be nice for your kid. And maybe you could introduce your kid to Snowrunner, European Truck Simulator or Farming Simulator?

Loadout

Oct 26, 2017
Israel
Or maybe EA should make CitySims that's just a GTA clone without the violence but with a variety of activities and story missions to do.

Sims Bustin' Out for GBA was actually one of my favorite games on the console. It is pretty much a GTA without the mature content, or rather persona without the dungeons. But when you remove the action from a game, keeping an appealing gameplay loop for 30+ hours of playtime becomes a very complex task for designers and a big gamble for producers. An open world social sim would be wayyy more complicated to make compared to an open world shooter and considering the state of AAA games right now, I can't imagine EA or any other publisher attempting to pull this off. But maybe some AA dev like the makers of Cities Skylines or Planet Coaster could pull this off though on a lesser scale. Edit: I just realized the makers of Planet coaster are actually an AAA dev and the makers of Cities Skylines are indie, so probably not the best examples but I hope you understand what I'm getting at.

TRV

Nov 27, 2020
The Netherlands
Sims Bustin' Out for GBA was actually one of my favorite games on the console. It is pretty much a GTA without the mature content, or rather persona without the dungeons. But when you remove the action from a game, keeping an appealing gameplay loop for 30+ hours of playtime becomes a very complex task for designers and a big gamble for producers. An open world social sim would be wayyy more complicated to make compared to an open world shooter and considering the state of AAA games right now, I can't imagine EA or any other publisher attempting to pull this off. But maybe some AA dev like the makers of Cities Skylines or Planet Coaster could pull this off though on a lesser scale. Edit: I just realized the makers of Planet coaster are actually an AAA dev and the makers of Cities Skylines are indie, so probably not the best examples but I hope you understand what I'm getting at.
A stand alone game could be difficult to fill with enough content, I agree. But an optional mode for children in GTA or any other open world game wouldn't need much structure, children will simply use their imagination. When I was 9, my older brother got Mafia (2002). I was allowed to play free roam and I think I must have easily spent 40+ hours simply driving and walking around, trying every different vehicle, causing traffic jams, doing taxi fares (this is an actual feature), finding map glitches, driving a truck and delivering imaginary packages across the map, looking for houses I would "buy", riding the trains around town... It's easy to entertain kids with a sandbox! Only years later I found out many people complained "there's nothing to do in the open world". :P

Huntersknoll

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, yes, what is next? Putting an easy mode in dark souls ;)

They will be fine, when I was a wee lad my mom bought me Vice City because I wanted Cabela's most dangerous hunts. She said "I'd rather see you shooting people than shooting animals" and I turned out just fine.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah this is a silly ask, if you're stripping out the violence of the GTA games you may as well just be playing something like Horizon 4. Otherwise any argument for on foot out of a vehicle gameplay will become a glorified walking sim, and there's plenty of those too that don't have GTA's M-rated themes.