• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Agent_Tiro

Oct 26, 2017
Glad you enjoyed it :-) I find them much more rewarding than the 3 lap sport mode races though they can be frustrating if you have rough time.

I have previously kept away from them because of experiences in normal sport mode where you just get bumped everywhere on the short races as there just isn't enough time to be patient and work your way through the field.

But the racing in this game is so good when it's clean. Gives that one more go feeling.

Deleted member 8408

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Up to S SR rank. We here baby!

Honestly, the gulf in the quality of races between B and A is astounding. I think B is too easy to reach for newcomers, hence it's just an extension of C. B/B was a shitshow. Never again hopefully.

Sejanoz

Nov 10, 2017
I have no imagination whatsoever, so I mostly do replicas. This is the Nismo GT-R who won the 2015 Bathurst 12h (I remember we even had a thread about it in the other forum)

gtrnismogt3-b12-3.jpg

Custom logos are a blessing, even if some people don't deserve to have early access; I'm talking about those who don't use tags, or have no idea how to handle a .png
Yeah I'm salty I can't upload decals

EDIT: forgot to say that the number plate is imperceptibly smaller in order to get covered completely when the game uses its own number plates in dailies/championships.

Last edited:

ruttyboy

Oct 29, 2017
I have no imagination whatsoever, so I mostly do replicas. This is the Nismo GT-R who won the 2015 Bathurst 12h (I remember we even had a thread about it in the other forum)

Custom logos are a blessing, even if some people don't deserve to have early access; I'm talking about those who don't use tags, or have no idea how to handle a .png

Just want to say that's a fantastic replica, well done!

Also, I've been having trouble with the search functionality for the decals. Even when I can see one on the front page and put the tag in that I know it has, it doesn't appear. I'm probably just being thick as usual though.

bigred50

Oct 31, 2017
I believe you can only search for decals/liveries that have been uploaded in the past 24 hours... at least that's what it seems like...sometimes.

Also the tags generally don't work.

It's really wonky.

Deleted member 8408

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm telling you, anyone complaining about collisions when they happen in SR S hasn't seen the dark side.

I was in 4th at Nurburgring GP, closing in fast on 2nd and 3rd. The guy in 3rd obviously saw that I had more pace than him going into the final couple of laps so let me past so I could have a go at 2nd place because he wasn't getting close enough to him. I piled the pressure on 2nd place to the point where he made a mistake and he went off and then both me and the other guy went past to finish 2nd and 3rd respectively. He sent me a message after saying thanks lol.

What even is this game.

Sejanoz

Nov 10, 2017

Also, I've been having trouble with the search functionality for the decals. Even when I can see one on the front page and put the tag in that I know it has, it doesn't appear. I'm probably just being thick as usual though.
Thanks! Not sure about the search feature. If i search for "youtube" I can find that youtube logo from the front page, which was added the first day (Nov 9th).
Probably usual PD wonkiness

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I'm telling you, anyone complaining about collisions when they happen in SR S hasn't seen the dark side.

I was in 4th at Nurburgring GP, closing in fast on 2nd and 3rd. The guy in 3rd obviously saw that I had more pace than him going into the final couple of laps so let me past so I could have a go at 2nd place because he wasn't getting close enough to him. I piled the pressure on 2nd place to the point where he made a mistake and he went off and then both me and the other guy went past to finish 2nd and 3rd respectively. He sent me a message after saying thanks lol.

What even is this game.

It's incredible. Here and there, I can find other drivers to "drive with" - we both see the score and ease pressure in each other so we can close to gap ahead.

And all with no words. I can pull up aside someone on the inside of the straight, then drop behind them and make some room to not crowd them for the corner... And they can get the hint just from that and become like an old friend for the rest of the race.

Oct 27, 2017
Psyched for this GT86 Tokyo race. It's my favorite Gr.4 but it's bottom tier speed-wise for sure. Now I actually have a shot to win a race with it! Too bad I hate Tokyo, but whatever.

DHC-Shannow

Oct 29, 2017
Manchester, England

What even is this game.
That's amazing :-) Can't say I've ever had an experience like that but I did certainly get my cleanest races whilst SR S - had a couple of rough ones tho and I'm currently bouncing between A and B :-(

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

this is a problem i have too. the only results i ever get for any search i make is within the last day. so if i search for liveries i know i've made, and i know i've tagged nothing even shows up. so if they're removing results from searches as soon as a single day, what the hell is the point? how are people even supposed to find anything?

i also don't like how there is a limit to the pages that can be shown. only the latest 1000 results can be browsed, and when you have people uploading decals with no tags it means anything older than say, a week or 2 is just lost in the void forever. i'm pretty sure it's impossible to find anything that was posted on that first day now.

DHC-Shannow

Oct 29, 2017
Manchester, England
So tonight in the championships we have Karts at Kyoto in the Nations and GR.3s at Maggiore in the Manufacturers. Can't say I'm dead keen on the track for the karts, there's only 1 braking point in the entire lap but it's bound to be extremely close racing.

Agent_Tiro

Oct 26, 2017
So I was doing the golf race today, qualified in third, first corner someone rear ends me and I get a 10 second penalty. Nice to get blamed for braking in the braking zone because someone else brakes late in their attempt to win a race in one corner. Could understand if my positioning was wrong this guy just missed his braking point.

DHC-Shannow

Oct 29, 2017
Manchester, England
So I was doing the golf race today, qualified in third, first corner someone rear ends me and I get a 10 second penalty. Nice to get blamed for braking in the braking zone because someone else brakes late in their attempt to win a race in one corner. Could understand if my positioning was wrong this guy just missed his braking point.
Yeah this happens to me quite a lot, especially if you're trying to get the slow in & fast out line. If your braking in the braking zone there's no way you should get a penalty. This is from Interlagos the other day, there was no way this guy was making the corner yet I get a penalty cos he hit me on the way past.

Agent_Tiro

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah this happens to me quite a lot, especially if you're trying to get the slow in & fast out line. If your braking in the braking zone there's no way you should get a penalty. This is from Interlagos the other day, there was no way this guy was making the corner yet I get a penalty cos he hit me on the way past.

Wow. That is incredibly harsh. I can't even begin to figure out what that guy was thinking. It's not like he intentionally tried to punt you. He just thought he could take 2 corners without braking or turning

After being chuffed my SR got up to A that one race knocked it down to B. Oh well, just got to keep doing my thing and it'll go up.

Moss

Oct 27, 2017
According to Polyphony Digital's own site they only have 110 staff members, I say only because to me that number seems quite low, for a studio that produces this kind of game. PD has expanded in terms of actual studios, 3 in Japan, 1 the U.S and 1 in The Netherlands, the latter 2 seem to be PR / legal related rather than game designers.

Why doesn't PD have a bigger team? Can't be budget issues right? Lack of talent available for hire?

Lack of communication to the fans has always been an issue, do we know what the plans are to further develop GT:S? I know creating content takes time, weeks if not months to model a single car, but what comes next?

Psycho_Mantis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

EDIT: forgot to say that the number plate is imperceptibly smaller in order to get covered completely when the game uses its own number plates in dailies/championships.

Lots of anime decals from Japan. Looks like all major logos are have now been uploaded.

According to Polyphony Digital's own site they only have 110 staff members, I say only because to me that number seems quite low, for a studio that produces this kind of game. PD has expanded in terms of actual studios, 3 in Japan, 1 the U.S and 1 in The Netherlands, the latter 2 seem to be PR / legal related rather than game designers.

Why doesn't PD have a bigger team? Can't be budget issues right? Lack of talent available for hire?

Lack of communication to the fans has always been an issue, do we know what the plans are to further develop GT:S? I know creating content takes time, weeks if not months to model a single car, but what comes next?

Its 200 now. PD seem very picky on who they choose.

Iucidium

Oct 25, 2017

#7 What a knob...

DHC-Shannow

Oct 29, 2017
Manchester, England
Wow. That is incredibly harsh. I can't even begin to figure out what that guy was thinking. It's not like he intentionally tried to punt you. He just thought he could take 2 corners without braking or turning

After being chuffed my SR got up to A that one race knocked it down to B. Oh well, just got to keep doing my thing and it'll go up.
I think he just got his braking wrong, being in the slipstream makes things worse too - he probably thought he'd leave it a bit later and dive up the inside but didn't account for that extra speed. At least he didn't punt me straight off the track tho!
As for the penalty it could be that the algorithm just got confused, the front of my car hit him then he goes off the track = my fault. Doesn't explain why we get penalised when we get rear ended off the track tho!

SR ranks can change very quickly, I'm sure yours will bounce back up again if you have a clean race or two.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago

Really well done. Nice job!

Marmite

Nov 15, 2017
Picked this up over the weekend. Trying to get into the Sport races having run a few last night in the slowest daily class with some success (one pole, one win in three races).

Is there any way to see how close you are to increasing (or decreasing) your SR and DR levels? Feel like I might be missing something.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
So tonight in the championships we have Karts at Kyoto in the Nations and GR.3s at Maggiore in the Manufacturers. Can't say I'm dead keen on the track for the karts, there's only 1 braking point in the entire lap but it's bound to be extremely close racing.

I don't know, I remember loving Kyoto with the karts during the demo. I'm looking forward to it, but I may regret that.

Agent_Tiro

Oct 26, 2017
Picked this up over the weekend. Trying to get into the Sport races having run a few last night in the slowest daily class with some success (one pole, one win in three races).

Is there any way to see how close you are to increasing (or decreasing) your SR and DR levels? Feel like I might be missing something.

You can see your DR level progress in your stats screen. Accessible through the menu at the top left of the screen. I've completely forgotten it's name. I don't think you can see SR progress.

Agent_Tiro

Oct 26, 2017
Wahey!!!! Finally won my first sport race. In the golf, even pulled out a PB on the second lap to take the lead.

I qualified in pole but was pushed wide on a corner, I kept the pressure up and eventually took the lead and opened a gap and it was nice and easy from there.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Wahey!!!! Finally won my first sport race. In the golf, even pulled out a PB on the second lap to take the lead.

I qualified in pole but was pushed wide on a corner, I kept the pressure up and eventually took the lead and opened a gap and it was nice and easy from there.

Congrats!

I've yet to win one. -_-

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
this game in VR is my new favorite thing. Just had a race around nurburgring in go karts and it blew my mind. Driveclub looks aweful in comparison. I really hope they open up some more modes and options for it, maybe even multi car races like they demo'd before. I'd be happy with time trial though tbh.

OP
OP
Niks

Niks

Oct 25, 2017
edit: ^ cant breathe, send help..

So, uhh.. I think I can upload decals now.

Is this open for everyone now?

Deleted member 8408

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think he just got his braking wrong, being in the slipstream makes things worse too - he probably thought he'd leave it a bit later and dive up the inside but didn't account for that extra speed. At least he didn't punt me straight off the track tho!
As for the penalty it could be that the algorithm just got confused, the front of my car hit him then he goes off the track = my fault. Doesn't explain why we get penalised when we get rear ended off the track tho!

SR ranks can change very quickly, I'm sure yours will bounce back up again if you have a clean race or two.

People often fail to understand that if the timing board says you are .5s off the guy ahead it means you have a minimum of .5s to start braking after they do if not you are going into the back of them. If you are in their slipstream but they are not slipstreaming a car ahead then it often means you need to start braking slightly before they do. The smaller that time gets the lower your margin of error.

The key to this is know your braking points and don't rely on the car ahead to act as a marker on when you should start braking. In fact, you should ease on the brakes slightly before your braking point to account for extra slipstream speed and then modulate through the braking zone to ensure you can stay as close as possible to the car ahead without hitting them.

This is where I take huge issue with the driving etiquette thing and the driving school in the game. It needs to teach players who haven't been playing racing sims (or been track racing in real life) for years these sorts of things and how to deal with other common scenarios when on the track with other human controlled cars.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Had a good race on the FIA karts. Field of mostly A/S and B/S, the rest were D/S like me. Qualified 10th I think, finished 6th. Would've done better but I was side-to-side going into that downward S and I checked my left view to make sure I didn't hit the other driver when I went left from the outside. But for some reason looking left has a delay on it and by the time I looked front again I was going into the grass. They really need to make looking around instantaneous to offset the lack of spatial awareness.

Then to keep my hopes from rising too much, I had a disastrous race on the FIA Maggiore GP. First of all, the glare is so bad in the daytime from cockpit view (the 911 Gr.3, but most cars have bad glare) that I had to play using the hood cam. PD really need to fix the cockpit glare, it's horrible. Anyway, qualified 12th, quickly moved up to 8th, with 7, 6, and 5 just ahead of me. I was faster than them but there's not many places to safely pass there, and I kept having to slam on my brakes to avoid hitting 7 in their slow turns and then losing ground. Unfortunately on the first straight of the third lap I punched the gas a bit too hard and the 911 went head-first into the barrier. By the time I got going again I was down to 18th. I hate that they turned off reset in the FIA races!

I love Maggiore with Gr.4 cars, but with Gr.3 it unsettles cars so easily if you make a slight mistake. It is a nerve-wracking track to drive with Gr.3. Really to be honest, I just don't like most of the Gr.3 cars, at least not with the DS4 trigger. It's so easy to just blip the trigger a bit too hard and have the car start to come undone.

Deleted member 8408

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Had a good race on the FIA karts. Field of mostly A/S and B/S, the rest were D/S like me. Qualified 10th I think, finished 6th. Would've done better but I was side-to-side going into that downward S and I checked my left view to make sure I didn't hit the other driver when I went left from the outside. But for some reason looking left has a delay on it and by the time I looked front again I was going into the grass. They really need to make looking around instantaneous to offset the lack of spatial awareness.

Then to keep my hopes from rising too much, I had a disastrous race on the FIA Maggiore GP. First of all, the glare is so bad in the daytime from cockpit view (the 911 Gr.3, but most cars have bad glare) that I had to play using the hood cam. PD really need to fix the cockpit glare, it's horrible. Anyway, qualified 12th, quickly moved up to 8th, with 7, 6, and 5 just ahead of me. I was faster than them but there's not many places to safely pass there, and I kept having to slam on my brakes to avoid hitting 7 in their slow turns and then losing ground. Unfortunately on the first straight I punched the gas a bit too hard and the 911 went head-first into the barrier. By the time I got going again I was down to 18th. I hate that they turned off reset in the FIA races!

I love Maggiore with Gr.4 cars, but with Gr.3 it unsettles cars so easily if you make a slight mistake. It is a nerve-wracking track to drive with Gr.3. Really to be honest, I just don't like most of the Gr.3 cars, at least not with the DS4 trigger. It's so easy to just blip the trigger a bit too hard and have the car start to come undone.

Choose a car that has a force induction engine and upshift early if you feel/hear the traction starting to slip away. Upshifting early will usually kill the slide right away, so simply make sure the car is pointed in the direction you want it to go in, upshift early, mash on the throttle. The torque will pull you through and you'll be able to accelerate quicker out of corners than if you're having to control slides all the time.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Choose a car that has a force induction engine and upshift early if you feel/hear the traction starting to slip away. Upshifting early will usually kill the slide right away, so simply make sure the car is pointed in the direction you want it to go in, upshift early, mash on the throttle. The torque will pull you through and you'll be able to accelerate quicker out of corners than if you're having to control slides all the time.

Thanks for the advice, I'll keep that in mind. I probably should've just set the TCS to 2 or 3, but I was running on 1.

Agent_Tiro

Oct 26, 2017
I was doing the kart race last night and something weird kept happening on the first corner intermittently. I would just lose power, normally I could hold about 92mph around the corner but near the apex the speed would continue to drop down to 70ish. Letting go of the throttle and putting it back on resulted in nothing. It would just slowly decelerate. This was without clipping the rumble strips.

Has anyone else had this? Or able to explain It? I would lose about 4 seconds on my normal lap time. I've not experienced it in other cars. Was a bit frustrating as there was no common theme in regards to my driving line when it would happen, and it would only be on that one corner which makes me think it is something I was doing.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
New Dailies

Northern Isle -- Single Make (Golf GTI, open settings) -- 10 laps
Alsace -- Gr.3 (Garage) -- 4 laps
Dragon Trail -- Gr.4 (Garage) -- 10 laps, fuel + tire wear -- light fog

question on the long races, can you do pit stops? can you really run out of fuel if you don't manage it?

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Finally a good GTS sale, buying the game later today even though I have very little time to play this week. :)

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
question on that long races, can you do pit stops? can you really run out of fuel if you don't manage it?
You sputter around at like 50km/h if you're entirely out of fuel. That's in line with how it's worked in the past few games. I can't imagine tire wear on a Gr4 car being particularly high but I'm interested to give it a shot. Front left might get a little uneven I guess and that rules out the FF cars. Were it up to me I'd be savage and put tyres and fuel at 10x consumption for the longer daily races and effectively force everyone to make a pit stop during a 10 lap race and gamble on a strategy. Even a compulsory stop in a race without tyre wear would spice things up. You could get some extremely interesting results! That's the sort of excitement I was hoping for out of the championship events. Make players think on the fly on top of just facing forward and drive.

DHC-Shannow

Oct 29, 2017
Manchester, England
I did the manufacturers race at Maggiore 1st and had a similar scenario to Eyeball - I had a nice clear track to do my qualifying but broke my rule about doing a nice easy banker lap first, stuck it in the barriers and then had to qualify driving in a pack 13th when I should have managed 6th or so (All cars ranked B/A or B/B) :-
Lap 1 - Go from 13th to 9th
Lap 2 - Get up to 6th then bin it big style, drop to last and finish the lap in 19th
Lap 3 - Go from 19th to 18th
Lap 4 - Catch 17th
Lap 5 - Go from 18th to 17th
Lap 6 - Pass 2 cars on the 2nd turn but accidentally spin a Citroen, get hit by a very aggressive frenchman.Get held up by the same guy as he hits a car ahead and then get taken out by crashing cars on the fast left hander. Finish lap in 15th
Lap 7 - Go from 15th to 14th
Lap 8 - Gifted 13th by a Swiss guy, catch and pass 2 scrapping beetles only for them to rematerialise just before the line. Notice 4 cars parked by the side of the road.
Lap 9 - Pass 1 beetle and narrowly avoid the other going into turn 1. Pass the other beetle at the hairpin. Get pushed wide by the first beetle going into the last corner and cross the line in 2nd?! Wtf?
Lap 10 -
Get barged about by the beetles and drop to 4th which slowly turns into 12th over the course of the lap.
It's a long vid but as you can see there's plenty going on! I got demoted in SR again after this race but can genuinely only see 3 occasions where I was at fault - my spin from 6th, hitting the Citroen and hitting one of the beetles when it appeared in front of me. I got rear ended and side swiped multiple times tho :-(

After that I did the karts in the Nations and came across another glitch - is anyone else getting these kind of issues? This time after qualifying 2nd I started in 3rd with the 1st place nowhere to be seen... Which was because for some reason it'd given the person in last place the lead so we spent the first 5 laps catching them. I won the race but felt bad after for the accidental collision that took the guy I was competing with out :-(